Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

forkboy84 posted:

Lower that bar some more.

Clearly that won't ever happen but suppose it did, do you know how loving seething I would be that the first general strike in this lovely country in 95 or years is about Brexit rather than income inequality & housing prices & power disparities & y'know, poo poo that loving matters? I think my head would explode. Because I would put a sawn-off shotgun into my mouth and pull the trigger. Okay, not really, but I would be beyond angry. 50/50 chance of me spontaneously combusting from rage.

to be expected, considering the complete lack of class consciousness. but if it happened, which i still think is very unlikely, i think it would be an amazing opportunity to turn rudimentary liberal false consciousness and anger at the perceived failings of the government into a broader and more critical anger and consciousness. a broad anti-bojo popular front might be impossible, but in an age when archlib and probably controlled opposition monbiot actually endorses corbyn, there have to be some libs that can, eventually, do some good for the left.

snipe edit:
5 february 1818: former French general Bernadotte ascends to the swedish and norwegian throne,
5 february 1940: freudian nightmare HR Giger is born
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymWmfUV3Eqw

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have to take your gun off to poo poo surely it's big enough that you shouldn't forget it in an airplane lavvy?

Also why did he keep his and cameron's passport in his gun belt??

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You should take it off if you're pulling your pants down because otherwise it's pointed directly at you and can be jarred or fall out, which is why this keeps happening.

Or wear a shoulder holster like you're a 1920s gangster.

Or don't guard austerity pig fuckers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait why is it pointed directly at you unless you go to the crapper by taking off your trousers and then putting your arms through them from the bottom up?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

oscarthewilde posted:

archlib and probably controlled opposition monbiot

He's been anti-capitalist 'this land is ours' forever, which is surely not peak or arch liberalism, whatever else it might be.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

Wait why is it pointed directly at you unless you go to the crapper by taking off your trousers and then putting your arms through them from the bottom up?

Um....

How do *you* do it, then?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So Bulldog Britian's Brexit Blitz Boldness of Backbone and Breath has resulted in a 4 day dispute...that resulted in defeat by Bureaucracy.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1224787156855599104?s=19

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i think anyone associated so vocally with extinction rebellion, is suss, tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Because it's pointed at your lower legs when your kecks are slack around your ankles. Or if it falls out it's pointed in whatever direction it lands in. Either way it's best to remove it, place it on the floor, and then (this is important) put it back after your trousers are back on.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There was a good take on ACFM that the left needs to wise up to the fact that XR have actually mobilised a bunch of people that the left couldn't, and either need to accept that and work with XR or try to give XR more of a left wing critique of the system.

Of course the central dogma behind XR is very suspect and Roger Hallam is a left-hating idiot but XR members are doing a bunch of good stuff (and a lot are breaking away from Hallam & co anyway). But I think it would be a huge mistake for the left to just dismiss XR even if you don't have to totally agree with them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XR people are probably fairly OK but XR the organization is hilariously bad at politics.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Labuor's excellent Environmental policies in 2019 (which were mostly RLB's work, right?) did a lot to pull the XR crowd that I know away from being potential/probable/previous Green voters. Most of them are now really pissed off with Molly Scott Cato.

If we keep hitting that message and out-Greening the Greens that can only be a good thing. Just as long as we don't go full anti-science and anti-nuke.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

sebzilla posted:

Labuor's excellent Environmental policies in 2019 (which were mostly RLB's work, right?) did a lot to pull the XR crowd that I know away from being potential/probable/previous Green voters. Most of them are now really pissed off with Molly Scott Cato.

If we keep hitting that message and out-Greening the Greens that can only be a good thing. Just as long as we don't go full anti-science and anti-nuke.

What happened with Molly Scott Cato?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

She really loving hates Labour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who's molly scott cato?

E: Oooohhhh the weirdo green MEP.

More like molly scott cato institute lmaoooo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mrpwase posted:

loving creasing at the bloke on the radio news talking about DCFADP's bodyguard leaving his gun in the toilet: "We're all human, but unfortunately being a police officer and being human don't always go together" :laffo:

I enjoyed the Freudian slip on TWAO about Daniel Kaczynski talking to a fash convention in Rome:

"many other far-right speakers...excuse me, many far right speakers"

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

We should quietly let XR mobilise all the sorts of people we never could, but should be standing ready to lend help, direction and actually useful understanding to the people who get drawn in by XR and then frustrated by all the dumb poo poo they do.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

XR have been good for raising awareness of environmental issues, but have nothing to offer in the way of solutions to these issues. Which may be why so many come out in support - it's way easier to shout SOMETHING MUST BE DONE louder and louder than it is to accept the reality of what actually needs to happen.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MikeCrotch posted:

There was a good take on ACFM that the left needs to wise up to the fact that XR have actually mobilised a bunch of people that the left couldn't,
They only managed that because the establishment is happy to give exposure to liberal democratic protest movements that don't have a chance of changing anything, hth

e: which is why ^^^^ is the full extent of what they can do

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Also anyone who got themselves arrested and booked has already failed basic activism and is likely to be a risk to any other groups they join.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

Also anyone who got themselves arrested and booked has already failed basic activism and is likely to be a risk to any other groups they join.

But how are they going to suck cop if they don't put themselves in arrestable reach?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The power of being arrested?

Imagine, if you will, the kind of person with a three bedroom suburban house and a Tesla on the driveway. Their sister and their their thirteen year old niece are visiting for a roast dinner: an all vegan spread in the vibrant colours and fragrances only plant foods are quite capable of. The sister has brought a jar of piccalilli to the occasion. The niece has brought herself, not of her own volition, but as her mother's bid to prevent her being alone with the house, as she has been seen kissing a boy who lives nearby. She spends the whole evening with her arms folded, huffing, spitting something about her disdain of "the rules."

This is the moment our homeowner has waited for. With a self pleasing smile they say, "you know, I was in jail once."

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

fao podcast peeps, are you still making the show? my feed hasn't updated for ages :/

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

gh0stpinballa posted:

fao podcast peeps, are you still making the show? my feed hasn't updated for ages :/

One on USpol is being edited, hilariously it's before Iowa so already out of date, there's a recording happening this very second for this week and there's a special guest one planned for next week which we're working through the final stages of.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

I forgot to mention it but the entry on Google podcasts seemed to break a couple of weeks ago, I had to remove it and re-add it for some reason. I don't *think* it's a UKMT issue as the RSS URL i use for downloading it kept working throughout.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A Very Special Podcasting Is Praxis, where Miftan is peer pressured into trying a chocolate orange and becomes addicted.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

There's been one a week for the last couple weeks.
We had Star Wars last week, and general discussion about Davos the week before, and as already noted, there'll be an out of date US Pol one this week.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

there'll be an out of date US Pol one this week

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

A Very Special Podcasting Is Praxis, where Miftan is peer pressured into trying a chocolate orange and becomes addicted.

Don't give these fuckers any ideas.

I'm very excited about tonight's recording though!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Ran in Stroud against an incumbent Remainer Labour MP, argued that only a vote for the Greens would keep us in the EU, generally poo poo-talked Labour and was adamant she could actually win and wasn't a supplier because of the EU Election results.

Then the Tories won by less than the Green vote and she lost her MEP job as well.

Basically a Lib Dem with a Green hat on.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

I subscribed on podbean instead, seems to be working fine now. weird.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

gh0stpinballa posted:

I subscribed on podbean instead, seems to be working fine now. weird.

It's been working for me through Spotify as well.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks to whoever recommended the David Harvey anti-capitalism podcast. Great for listening to in the car. Not sure why the iOS podcast app thinks I want to listen to it in reverse order though. Any better apps out there?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jose I may have dreamed this but did you post a really cursed pizza video from Brazil where the guy uses ice cream and its just a gross vid. I think it was like 2 years ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/UKandEU/status/1225090913749348354

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
My local paper had a rather bemusing letter to the editor where a person bemoans labour tax increases if they got in power.

This was in February, I wonder if they realise the election was months ago.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Flipswitch posted:

Jose I may have dreamed this but did you post a really cursed pizza video from Brazil where the guy uses ice cream and its just a gross vid. I think it was like 2 years ago.

I think I vaguely remember that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have seen many street food horrors in my life. I've seen pizzas on fire on the streets of rio de janeiro, I watched mystery sauces glitter in the dark in polythene burger boxes. All that grease will be lost, in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

I think I vaguely remember that.

I found it but it's mayo. Not ice cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

I have seen many street food horrors in my life. I've seen pizzas on fire on the streets of rio de janeiro, I watched mystery sauces glitter in the dark in polythene burger boxes. All that grease will be lost, in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

:golfclap: