Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TyrantWD posted:

A blue state has a blue congress? Wow, what a great achievement.

If we are looking for data points of energy and enthusiasm, Democrats doing well in Virginia is not something that should be on the list.

It is, because it was gerrymandered to be red 10 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

If we are looking for data points of energy and enthusiasm, Democrats doing well in Virginia is not something that should be on the list.

You really need to look up Virginia's history, my dude; Democrats have not controlled state politics in Virginia since the state was a haven for segregation.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

TyrantWD posted:

He was within 1.5 points last time around. He just needs a quarter of the 2016 Gary Johnson/McMuffin voters to flip in his favor and he wins.

Minnesota has been the "this year it will flip for republicans" for the last 20 years. The last ones to win a state wide election were Norm Coleman, Patricia Anderson and Tpaw in 2002 and Tpaw in 2006. Patricia Anderson couldn't even win a house seat in 2018 because Eagan shifted so hard against republicans. To give you an idea how weird things are right now Eagan, Edina and Wayzata are all solidly DFL.

I'm not worried about a few protest voters around UMN.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

TyrantWD posted:

"Democrats doing well in a blue state doesn't matter" I scream into the wind during a discussion about whether or not Minnesota will vote for a Democratic president this year.

"Enthusiasm has waned" I yell while shredding documents about suburbs flipping blue three straight years in a row.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

Literally what Republicans said about Alabama (which, like Virginia, is not historically blue) after Jones won and other victories. Nice job internalizing right wing talking points to own the libs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's such a shame that the newly democratic VA legislature has not just passed a large slate of progressive priorities

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

karthun posted:

Minnesota has been the "this year it will flip for republicans" for the last 20 years. The last ones to win a state wide election were Norm Coleman, Patricia Anderson and Tpaw in 2002 and Tpaw in 2006. Patricia Anderson couldn't even win a house seat in 2018 because Eagan shifted so hard against republicans. To give you an idea how weird things are right now Eagan, Edina and Wayzata are all solidly DFL.

I'm not worried about a few protest voters around UMN.

We still got uncomfortably close in 16 so let's not get complacent.

Plus we've got a Republican majority in the state Senate to break :getin:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
There will be Unsung Geniuses saying Nothing Really Matters while using Berniecare to buy legal weed. Some peoples' brains have been so permanently tuned to Twitter and no amount of reality is going to un-mush that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

It's such a shame that the newly democratic VA legislature has not just passed a large slate of progressive priorities

Literally this is the most hilarious(?) part. Three goddamn threads melting down over Iowa and the SOTU while Virginia (and other states to a lesser degree) just keep becoming more and more blue, and when it's pointed out suddenly it doesn't matter :shrug:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 5, 2020

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Munkeymon posted:

We still got uncomfortably close in 16 so let's not get complacent.

Plus we've got a Republican majority in the state Senate to break :getin:

There were a fair number of protest voters i knew in NE, Marcy Holmes and around UMN. They arn't protest voting again. But ya, lets break the state senate. Remember, there is redistricting in 2021.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

The Virginia flip isn’t much to write home about. Virginia is basically an extension of MD/DC, and the GOP only retained control on a literal coin flip last time around.

What even is this loving horseshit? Do you have any concept of the political history of Virginia or are you just completely talking out of your rear end like an ignorant buffoon? I don't even know where to unpack this loving bullshit. Let's start with your flippant "coin flip" remark. The coin flip would have only decided one of the chambers of the state legislature, which as you know from the national congress means gently caress all for passing meaningful legislation when the other chamber is held by blood gargling psychopaths. So you are dumb for saying that and thanks for showing your full rear end here. But that mistake is beside the point because how loving dare you say anything like that. The victories gained in Virginia loving matter. And no, it is not an "extension of MD/DC", it is its own loving state with unique politics. The Democrats flipped the loving heart of the Confederacy and your brain genius rear end is over here saying that doesn't matter. Like, where do you get off saying such transparently false bullshit?

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1224385379681427459

Read through all these bills that are being passed and tell me that it doesn't matter. Read the whole thread for each day as bill after bill is being pushed out changing things in an entire state that if you asked 10 years ago if it was possible? You would be laughed at. God, it is so tiring to see posters kramer in here and talk out of their rear end about Virginia like they know gently caress all about the blood, sweat, and tears that went into flipping it for the betterment of all its citizens. gently caress you TyrantWD.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 5, 2020

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

friendbot2000 posted:

What even is this loving horseshit? Do you have any concept of the political history of Virginia or are you just completely talking out of your rear end like an ignorant buffoon? I don't even know where to unpack this loving bullshit. Let's start with your flippant "coin flip" remark. The coin flip would have only decided one of the chambers of the state legislature, which as you know from the national congress means gently caress all for passing meaningful legislation when the other chamber is held by blood gargling psychopaths. So you are dumb for saying that and thanks for showing your full rear end here. But that mistake is beside the point because how loving dare you say anything like that. The victories gained in Virginia loving matter. And no, it is not an "extension of MD/DC", it is its own loving state with unique politics. The Democrats flipped the loving heart of the Confederacy and your brain genius rear end is over here saying that doesn't matter. Like, where do you loving get off saying such transparently false bullshit?

Read through all these bills that are being passed and tell me that it doesn't matter. Read the whole thread for each day as bill after bill is being pushed out changing things in an entire state that if you asked 10 years ago if it was possible? You would be laughed at. God, it is so tiring to see posters kramer in here and talk out of their rear end about Virginia like they know gently caress all about the blood sweat and tears that went into flipping it for the betterment of all its citizens. gently caress you TyrantWD.

THe effort in VA has been enormous and topssing it as an extent of just being part of Maryland and DC ignores what friend bot and co have done there. VA was decidely red for a long time and sheer effort and struggle has made it what it is into the next progressive strong hild

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

friendbot2000 posted:

What even is this loving horseshit? Do you have any concept of the political history of Virginia or are you just completely talking out of your rear end like an ignorant buffoon? I don't even know where to unpack this loving bullshit. Let's start with your flippant "coin flip" remark. The coin flip would have only decided one of the chambers of the state legislature, which as you know from the national congress means gently caress all for passing meaningful legislation when the other chamber is held by blood gargling psychopaths. So you are dumb for saying that and thanks for showing your full rear end here. But that mistake is beside the point because how loving dare you say anything like that. The victories gained in Virginia loving matter. And no, it is not an "extension of MD/DC", it is its own loving state with unique politics. The Democrats flipped the loving heart of the Confederacy and your brain genius rear end is over here saying that doesn't matter. Like, where do you get off saying such transparently false bullshit?

Read through all these bills that are being passed and tell me that it doesn't matter. Read the whole thread for each day as bill after bill is being pushed out changing things in an entire state that if you asked 10 years ago if it was possible? You would be laughed at. God, it is so tiring to see posters kramer in here and talk out of their rear end about Virginia like they know gently caress all about the blood, sweat, and tears that went into flipping it for the betterment of all its citizens. gently caress you TyrantWD.

:yeshaha:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

:perfect:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Post is beautiful.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

uh actually I think if you read your history you'd know that Georgia, not Virginia, was the heart of the confederacy.

Thank you please subscribe to my podcast and civil war era literotica series titled "Sherman's Push"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They used to let you rent pets and repossess them if you couldn't keep up payments? What the gently caress?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
why was there race ID in divorce/annulment? What does that even mean? Like did they give an express line for interracial couples to help them divorce faster and easier?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

why was there race ID in divorce/annulment? What does that even mean? Like did they give an express line for interracial couples to help them divorce faster and easier?
Virginia used to be Really Weird about interracial marriage.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Tibalt posted:

Virginia used to be Really Weird about interracial marriage.

Yeah, the bill was to kill a vestigial relic of anti-miscegenation laws in Virginia because "Lol we in the Confederacy y'all"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There used to be race required on marriage licenses as recently as last year that had the terms mulatto and quadroon on them. Just today the bill to end right to work passed out of subcommittee. George W. Bush won this state both times by double digits.

It is not by any stretch meaningless or just an extension of DC and MD. The loving capital of the Confederacy is now a left stronghold for Christ's sake!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

haveblue posted:

They used to let you rent pets and repossess them if you couldn't keep up payments? What the gently caress?

Maybe like, expensive purebreds or horses? Pretty sure horse leasing is a thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

https://www.humanesociety.org/news/federal-trade-commission-urged-protect-consumers-deceptive-pet-leasing-industry

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
What does any of this have to do with impeachment?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Papercut posted:

nothing really, but the mod hath decreed from on high that dems are bad posting is allowed now so I might as well as explain the context of a bill that VA passed that someone had a question on

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I work with solid organ transplant data - is there any more info about the banning disability discrimination in organ donation anywhere? I can't find anything.

edit: apparently they banned almond milk???

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I work with solid organ transplant data - is there any more info about the banning disability discrimination in organ donation anywhere? I can't find anything.

I don’t know much about it either, but here’s a 2019 report from the National Council on Disability.

actionjackson posted:

edit: apparently they banned almond milk???

No they didn't, that's someone in the replies trying to make a joke. There's a Republican bill to ban breast milk, though. (not really, but technically you wouldn't be able to call it "milk" any more).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 5, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Papercut posted:

Helsing's a lovely mod who declared this thread open season and then threw a tantrum and left when people didn't agree with his moronic takes.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Papercut posted:

slapping back at Nothing Matters is always welcome. even if nothing matters

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

InsertPotPun posted:

slapping back at Nothing Matters is always welcome. even if nothing matters

Important to also note that the 'Nothing Matters' folks don't matter either.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

So it seems to me that it's unlikely that we'll get any Republican defectors, right?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tibalt posted:

So it seems to me that it's unlikely that we'll get any Republican defectors, right?

Romney can't hurt himself more with Trumpists than he already has, but he is first and foremost a coward.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

But surely Colli.... nope, can't do it :v:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

TyrantWD posted:

Explain to us why Kansas and Kentucky don’t matter next!

Edit: poo poo, missed the new page and friendbot being awesome as usual

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 5, 2020

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Collins already said she’d acquit and thinks the president learned his lesson and apparently stands by it even in the face of him explicitly saying she’s dumb and he learned nothing because he did nothing wrong. She’s a loving idiot.

Edit: it would be a serious and funny thumb to the eye if even one gop senator said convict and took away trumps dumb argument about it being 100% partisan.

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 5, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Faustian Bargain posted:

Collins already said she’d acquit and thinks the president learned his lesson and apparently stands by it even in the face of him explicitly saying she’s dumb and he learned nothing because he did nothing wrong. She’s a loving idiot.

She's not. She's just a republican fascist piece of poo poo who is doing politics.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Faustian Bargain posted:

He learned that lesson so well he's trying a similar tactic regarding spending he doesn't approve of.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...LNZ9eUcEmLyT7jY

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

friendbot2000 posted:

Stop being so melodramatic. You are talking about Virginia as if it were Wyoming or Arkansas. The GOP hasn't won a statewide race there since 2004. Things may have taken time to filter down to the local level, and congratulations on wrenching power away from the cultists, but it that is still not a proof of nationwide Democratic enthusiasm and energy. If Doug Jones wins re-election against someone who isn't a pedophile, or a Democrat wins statewide in Georgia - that is something to take note of. If Maryland votes out Hogan - then great for the MD democrats not being completely terrible, but that's also not something to indicate any nationwide trends.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

She's not. She's just a republican fascist piece of poo poo who is doing politics.

Which makes her not an idiot somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
"The failure of impeachment just shows how nothing has changed since 2016, Dems are bad, Trump will cruise to reelection and we're doomed to 1000 years of right-wing darkness!"

*Democrats continue to ride on three years of wave elections all over the country*

"Ah, well, nevertheless."