Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

karmicknight posted:

whatever the crew that gave Brutus Beefcake a singles match for the WCW world title at Starrcade

The THREE FACES OF FEAR, brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Mil Mascaras. Any other answer is hilariously wrong and ignorant.

Mil hasn't wrestled in a year, I'm not sure he counts as active. If he doesn't count, then it's idk Ultimo Guerrero or CIMA? Caristico would be in there if he hadn't been IWGP Jr. Champ.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hijo del Santo?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MassRafTer posted:

Mil Mascaras. Any other answer is hilariously wrong and ignorant.

mil is in the wwe hall of fame

not sure if that counts tho

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i have a hard time believing anyone thinks the hall of fame is a singles championship. if you believe it, send me a PM

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like the inclusion of AEW since only 1 guy has ever held a singles championship in AEW and he's held them in WWE and NJPW.

But it does eliminate Riho.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

Mil hasn't wrestled in a year, I'm not sure he counts as active. If he doesn't count, then it's idk Ultimo Guerrero or CIMA? Caristico would be in there if he hadn't been IWGP Jr. Champ.

Mil wrestles a couple times per year so he is just as active as he has been for years. If the Democratic Party elite want to try to disqualify the candidate of the people the answer is Jun Akiyama as his name value and connections are basically the only thing keeping AJPW scoring sold spot shows and keeping the company semi viable.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What were famous/infamous instances wherein people (especially those involved in the industry) got worked into a shoot?

Just to share my own experience, there was an audience member in a local indie show that tried to climb the ring when a beloved babyface turned heel and cut a scathing promo. Fortunately he was stopped.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

What were famous/infamous instances wherein people (especially those involved in the industry) got worked into a shoot?

Just to share my own experience, there was an audience member in a local indie show that tried to climb the ring when a beloved babyface turned heel and cut a scathing promo. Fortunately he was stopped.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one time in wcw goldberg got fed up and didn't do the scripted finish of the match and it was so shocking that the announcers all kept on talking about how he didn't do the scripted finish, on-air. it was wild

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think Goldberg punching out a window and loving up his arm counts.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Schneider Heim posted:

Jay White made Josh Barnett so angry he jumped from commentary and chased Jay.

https://twitter.com/AXSTV/status/1015796124509089792?s=09

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 5, 2020

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Does Benoit/Sullivan count?

Bischoff/Pillman for sure I would think.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

Andre getting very drunk and deciding to try to shoot on Maeda only for Maeda to kick his rear end.

Bret and Shawn didn't originally hate each other but by 97 they did and got into a backstage fight (and then later that year Montreal happened.)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Jay White made Josh Barnett so angry he jumped from commentary and chased Jay.

https://twitter.com/AXSTV/status/1015796124509089792?s=09

Is this absolutely a shoot? I thought it was disputed as a work

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Schneider Heim posted:

Is this absolutely a shoot? I thought it was disputed as a work

https://www.f4wonline.com/daily-updates/daily-update-ric-flair-undergoes-successful-surgery-jr-rousey-261111

Here Meltzer said it was a shoot. Kayfabe is kept pretty strongly in Japan and all but he (Barnett) is pretty adamant it was a shoot in interviews.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am fully convinced josh barnett believes wrestling is real

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Schneider Heim posted:

How bout the time Tank Abbot put a knife to someone's throat? I dont think that was worked out before hand.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Beer_Suitcase posted:

How bout the time Tank Abbot put a knife to someone's throat? I dont think that was worked out before hand.

My understanding on that one is that Tank and Big Al had it worked out, Tank asked higher-ups if he could use weapons and they said sure, and they didn't think to ask for details and Tank Abbot is a garbage fire shaped like a man

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
He asked if he could bring a weapon and they just said sure.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Hellblazer187 posted:

Who is the highest profile active wrestler not to have ever won a singles title in WWE, NJPW, or AEW? This is a discussion I had a while back with my other wrestle chat, curious to hear your perspectives.

Could also go for people like Chigusa Nagayo or Aja Kong with this: or similar old long-time big name Japanese wrestlers who never worked the West or New Japan.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

LA Park

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Xerzes posted:

My understanding on that one is that Tank and Big Al had it worked out, Tank asked higher-ups if he could use weapons and they said sure, and they didn't think to ask for details and Tank Abbot is a garbage fire shaped like a man
from following nitro with b&v i have a newfound appreciation for tank being terrible but also kind of weirdly great too. big wcw energy.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I haven't seen or thought about Tank Abbott in years, but I remember him being in WCW at the time, and I did not like him ironically or unironically. Like so much of what was going on in 2000 WCW, he was not the right fit at all and really should have never been involved in pro wrestling.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've seen interviews where Tank says his time with Three Count being a big goof was the most enjoyable of his employment with WCW. And true to their reputation, they actually offered to pay for him to take singing and dancing lessons. In 2000 when they were already hemorrhaging money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
They only brought in Tank because he was a UFC fighter, and at that point he was already washed up. If you followed MMA at all at that time, you knew Tank as a guy who dished out downright frightening beatings to some karate guys who couldn't fight at all, but lost whenever he fought someone who knew what they were doing--not even champion level guys, just guys like Oleg Taktarov. He had some ring charisma and entertaining interviews in the UFC, but that didn't translate to wrestling.

He couldn't wrestle, couldn't cut a promo, and didn't have much of a look, unless you thought a scraggly biker fighting in his boxer shorts was a welcome break from all the guys dressed like bikers in WCW. If Arn Anderson looked like you woke up your dad after he worked the late shift, Tank looked like Dad after the divorce, living in a fleabag hotel with a bottle of vodka under the mattress.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Look I’m with Vinnie Verheis, I just love two big stiffs having a terrible brawl

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
I seem to recall Matt Hughes was talking a WWE run at some point. Anybody know what happened with that? I don't know if he just lost interest, they lost interest, or if they figured out he's a horrible person and terrible to work with even by wrestling standards.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How long before they repackage Kairi Sane as a redneck named Banjo Kabuki?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tank was not a foolish hire for WCW. Don Frye was the obvious guy to bring in from UFC other than Shamrock (he went to NJPW) but Tank had a ton of charisma and fan interest. He was a guy who had a bad rear end aura, and it carried over early on. Even after they hosed him up the idea of Tank vs Goldberg had buzz to it.

There is a place in wrestling for unique, non wrestlers to have limited roles. It makes things more fun.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Schneider Heim posted:

All of the nonsense around Brian Pillman leaving WCW and going to WWF seems to fit this bill perfectly.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Look I’m with Vinnie Verheis, I just love two big stiffs having a terrible brawl

I would love to hear vinny's reaction to big E's dream match

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Is the Japanese dojo system within, say, the last 10 years as rough or rougher than the PC? If so, is it your opinion that the ends justify the means?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Coaaab posted:

Is the Japanese dojo system within, say, the last 10 years as rough or rougher than the PC? If so, is it your opinion that the ends justify the means?

Depends on whether you're talking before or after DeMott left.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Schneider Heim posted:

Russo and Hogan going for that worked shoot goodness, only Russo went too far with his angry insults and Hogan thought it was a genuine double-cross, causing him to sue WCW and walk out for good.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Gavok posted:

Russo and Hogan going for that worked shoot goodness, only Russo went too far with his angry insults and Hogan thought it was a genuine double-cross, causing him to sue WCW and walk out for good.

Specifically, Russo called him bald.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've said this before but I always wondered how the hell that would have played out in front of a judge.

"Your Honor, it's slander!"

"...take off the bandanna"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Coaaab posted:

Post Inoki I think the NJPW dojo got cleaned up of it's more awful stuff and I think Bushiroad has gone even further. It's probably harder training than the PC but it's not abusive like the Inoki days where it would make the Demott PC look good

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What was the timeline on Tank in 2000 anyway? Did he get pinned by David Arquette (he was in on it, it's fine!!) before, during, or after the period where they were ostensibly hyping Tank vs Goldberg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think it was in his contract that he couldn't be called bald?