Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I swear that DX2 being awful was solely responsible for setting back PC/console gamer relations by like ten years

with that being said, I I think I remember it took the 360/PS3 era for ports of console games to PC to become reliably good, and a little longer than that for Japanese games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I always found it suspicious that there's this narrative where the PC cannot fail, only be failed. If the PC version is better it proves the PC's good, and if the console version is better well the problems with the PC version are obviously the console's fault for forcing a lovely port.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i tried to play deus ex 1 on ps2 and eventually couldn't save my game because the game had no stock save file size and it would just randomly balloon while you were playing. not a problem on pc since you know, hard drives, but on ps2 it was just funny to randomly not be able to save because the save file size it needed no longer fit on your non-empty memory card

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I always found it suspicious that there's this narrative where the PC cannot fail, only be failed. If the PC version is better it proves the PC's good, and if the console version is better well the problems with the PC version are obviously the console's fault for forcing a lovely port.

the consoles made ion storm make a bad game and not ion storm being not very good, please ignore that they only made maybe 2 good games before dying and the other studios in the exact same era making good games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it wasn't as high profile as DX but there were also a group of people who took a long time to forgive the XBOX/PS2 for Rainbow Six going from Raven Shield to Lockdown, and then it becoming a generic third-person shooter with the Vegas games, or Ghost Recon 2 not getting a PC version at all (and then being followed by the lovely GRAW games, also generic third-person shooters)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it wasn't as high profile as DX but there were also a group of people who took a long time to forgive the XBOX/PS2 for Rainbow Six going from Raven Shield to Lockdown, and then it becoming a generic third-person shooter with the Vegas games, or Ghost Recon 2 not getting a PC version at all (and then being followed by the lovely GRAW games, also generic third-person shooters)

and yet, at the same time, swat 4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SWAT4 is a masterpiece but I also love it being part of the weirdest series in gaming history since it's basically a spinoff of King's Quest from 1984, if you squint

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I miss obnoxiously large pc boxes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

SWAT4 is a masterpiece but I also love it being part of the weirdest series in gaming history since it's basically a spinoff of King's Quest from 1984, if you squint

inexplicably developed by irrational a couple of years before making bioshock

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I miss obnoxiously large pc boxes

dang the game is the size of a family-size cereal box it must be fuckin' doooope!!

I guess some of them did come with enormous manuals for a while there so it sorta made sense

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 5, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SWAT4, the last of the SWAT series, which was a spinoff of the Police Quest series, a spinoff of King's Quest, which was a sequel to The Wizard and the Princess in the Hi-Res Adventures series.

so basically SWAT4 is a sequel to Mystery House for the Apple II by On-Line Systems from 1980

Monkey Fracas posted:

dang the game is the size of a family-size cereal box it must be fuckin' doooope!!

I guess some of them did come with enormous manuals for a while there so it sorta made sense

I still have my Wing Commander boxes which had like three manuals each and stuff like ship blueprints. Origin kicked so much rear end

Xegaus
Sep 27, 2006
King of nothing!
I was a big PC gamer in the 90’s and I wrote off PC gaming when Xbox Live first launched. I remember thinking that Xbox Live was going to be THE way to play games online. Everyone would have a head set and everyone would be able to talk to each other and work together on teams. Great on paper, just loving abysmal in practice. But still for years after Live came out that I was convinced that nothing could ever be better. gently caress I first played Counter Strike on Xbox before I did on PC. It was when Steam first started to sell third party games and have amazing sales that I started to move back to PC being where I primarily played games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://youtu.be/zOEB2vif0SY

FF7 Remake looking good

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lurdiak posted:

I am in favor of any policy that curbs the predatory practices of big corporations. Video games aren't poison but skinner boxed multi million dollar online experiences absolutely are, and they know it.

That's not at all what the regulation you're responding to says or is fighting

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Monkey Fracas posted:

This is my secret shame but when i was like 8 I stole the manual of Dungeon Keeper 2 from a Woolworths in Inverness.

Somewhere in my youthful mind I thought it was ok to take the book to look at the pretty pictures but not the cd

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

From a few pages back, but

Oxxidation posted:

max payne 2 is about max falling to "the bottom of the hole," freeing himself of his violent action-hero past by letting himself succumb to it until every single thing about it has been annihilated, even the parts he cares about. that's the meaning of the final line in the game, and why he only achieves catharsis when mona dies.

What about the alternate ending where Mona doesn't die?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I only recently found out that there was a PC-Engine SF2 port which was apparently loving amazing, and was never released in the US
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hToclCtLN1k

The 3DO version of SSF2Turbo was highly underrated, probably mostly because only like five people other than me had a 3DO.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

That's not at all what the regulation you're responding to says or is fighting

Doesn't matter what its obviously terrible intent is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the snes version of alpha 2 isn't good, but I'm glad it exists

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the only good video game is Monkey Island

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lurdiak posted:

Doesn't matter what its obviously terrible intent is.

Is your brain bleeding?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Relax Or DIE posted:

I want to argue against this but I’ve double and triple checked my data, and damnit, he’s right!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

kings quest 3 actually

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Not Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony. Unimpressed.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Monkey Fracas posted:

gaming in 80's Eurozone is an inscrutable puzzle to me

there was the Amiga and then approximately like 80 other PCs capable of running games that got things developed for/ported to them

I definitely take the more-less unified computer architecture/OS environment of today for granted; poo poo seemed like a real mess back then

It's worth noting Amiga, C64, Atari ST, Spectrum and whatever were not called PCs by most people at the time, and certainly not by gamers, but likely words like microcomputers if you had to use an umbrella term. From pretty early on PC referred specifically to IBM PC compatible machines running MS-DOS or Windows, ie the same lineage we call PC today. Calling an Amiga a PC in the face of a devout Amiga user would likely get you punched in the face, as PCs early on were seen as laughably inferior gaming machines, and later as hateful harbingers of doom that had unjustly taken other microcomputers' place as gaming machines, despite having inferior hardware and software design and only compensating through sheer (and expensive) escalation of their computing power.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

raditts posted:

From a few pages back, but

What about the alternate ending where Mona doesn't die?

trash. nonsense. malarkey.

you could maybe sort of view it as whatever ineffable kismet is guiding max's life tossing him a bone at the last second, but it's the sort of "good ending" that just hurts the thematic setup of everything before it. the game's called "the fall of max payne," not "the fall of max payne but then he just kind of starts floating in the air during the final six inches never mind"

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

homeless snail posted:

kings quest 3 actually

lucasarts adventure games are strictly superior to Sierra

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

trash. nonsense. malarkey.

you could maybe sort of view it as whatever ineffable kismet is guiding max's life tossing him a bone at the last second, but it's the sort of "good ending" that just hurts the thematic setup of everything before it. the game's called "the fall of max payne," not "the fall of max payne but then he just kind of starts floating in the air during the final six inches never mind"

Max Payne 2: Max Payne's Fallen And He Can't Get Up

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Relax Or DIE posted:

should i play more than the first monkey island? i've heard the ps2 one got real bad but not sure about the inbetween games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

should i play more than the first monkey island? i've heard the ps2 one got real bad but not sure about the inbetween games

2 is very good. 3 is not as good but it's quite fun. 4 is the bad one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

lucasarts adventure games are strictly superior to Sierra
incorrect

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

Night in the Woods

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cliffyb is a dumbass and lawbreakers wasnt woke

he also made radical heights knowing it wasn't going to succeed and was against his employees leaving to go to epic even though the alternative was... losing your job at boss key a month later?? what a tough call

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo Reach

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What was supposed to be the "woke" part of Lawbreakers?

The game didn't sell because it wasn't marketed, looked generic as hell and was generally perceived as "less colourful Overwatch".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does Max Payne ever acknowledge the fact that he can slow down time to shoot people good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sierra games were more or less the lovely AAA games of their time, they were popular to show off your PC's graphical capabilities but good lord to they suck to play.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

space quest 1, the game where you have to in the first five minutes use the tape library machine to solve a copy protection puzzle with very little prompting, and then hold onto it until about 60% through the game until someone asks for the tape and you discover whether the game thinks you pirated it or not

now that's gaming

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

sorry, you are now permabanned because you forgot to pick up an item on page 2 of this thread

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

stev posted:

What was supposed to be the "woke" part of Lawbreakers?

The game didn't sell because it wasn't marketed, looked generic as hell and was generally perceived as "less colourful Overwatch".
overwatch was the one that was trying to be 'woke'

but then again, cliffyb was at e3 hyping lawbreakers one year and said "overwatch is the game your girlfriend plays"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Relax Or DIE posted:

Ask me about LOOM™