Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oliwan posted:

jesus christ ops that is obviously a quote from the comments

oh whoops. seemed like a post you would really make tho :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

Honestly I'm more talking about posturing to discourage the English from trying anything dumb.

But yes, first it needs the US to declare support for the independence referendum, which within-US is pride vs business interests, which is why it would be a huge gamble.

England being about to 'try something dumb' implies it has the ability to do so. This is a weird fantasy that I think is aimed at giving excuses to twist the knife. You don't really need an excuse tbh. Do what you will.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BMX Ninja posted:

He's unlikely to get the Democratic nomination anyway. I watched Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 11/9 a while back, and while it's obviously a very one-sided viewpoint, it was pretty damning on the dirty tricks the DNC deployed to get Clinton nominated last time. This time round the Dems seem to have concluded the reason Clinton lost is because she just wasn't centrist enough.

But yeah, if he somehow did get the nomination he'd be campaigning in the face of not just Fox News, but an all-out assault by every media outlet similar to what Corbyn faced.

100% wrong-o.

Bernie is going to crush them all.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

eyyyyy im speakin the the Queens English ova here

twoday
May 4, 2005

Squizzle posted:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

lmao, can you quote one single cspam post of mine to support this op? just one?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oliwan posted:

cspam? So you're saying you do post like that elsewhere?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

cspam? So you're saying you do post like that elsewhere?

no

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

What is that man doing to his anus? :o

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Bedshaped posted:

What is that man doing to his anus? :o

Brexit

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/jadeswilson/status/1224443687616139267?s=20

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oliwan posted:

youve got me dead to rights. it was a show trial. a miserable star chamber, arranged for yr own destruction. the mods are out for yr blood

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tell me again why the north is so hell bent to stay with the UK when all of ireland will love to see them re-united? I know its some sort of collective brain spiderism but its still boggles the (non addled) mind

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

youve got me dead to rights. it was a show trial. a miserable star chamber, arranged for yr own destruction. the mods are out for yr blood

i knew this would happen once lastgirl and dogcrash truther would both be out of the picture

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax2-2I2hwrs

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cao Ni Ma posted:

tell me again why the north is so hell bent to stay with the UK when all of ireland will love to see them re-united? I know its some sort of collective brain spiderism but its still boggles the (non addled) mind

Prods

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

have to say that while brexit is dumb af, i agree that anybody talking up "european values and culture" is a pervert and a danger tbh

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The north is not hell bent on staying in the UK. There's a relatively small core of dedicated unionists and a lot of soft support for the union (even in many cases from people of nationalist/catholic backgrounds who vote for nationalist parties) from people who are afraid of upsetting the apple cart so to speak. In light of Brexit, unification could look to those people as the least disruptive option, so it's not inconceivable that they could be won over.

Also IIRC polling shows only a slim majority for unification in the republic, and even that erodes once the idea of increased taxation is mentioned.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The sun never sets on that run on sentence.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Private Speech posted:

One time my mum (who doesn't live in the UK) called me while I was waiting on a bus to get home from work and we spoke in my native Czech, as one, you know, would; and this old woman leaned out of a window above me and screamed she's calling the police so that the immigration comes and gets me. I hastily went away after that beacuse gently caress getting detained by them even for a bit.

I've also had a number of both more and less overt complaints from neighbours about the same thing, that is hearing me on the phone, be it through a wall or on the street, speaking another language with my mum.

The level of UK cuntiness about foreign languages is simply astounding. And these were very middle class areas in major cities, too.

I've also had a drunk guy shout at me "what loving right do you have to be here" once.

e: All the same I kinda like Britain. Must be a masochist I guess.

I've never actually said this to another poster before but that has to be one of the best post-user name combos I've ever seen.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Sorry, Bernie is going to win.

Taintrunner posted:

100% wrong-o.

Bernie is going to crush them all.

Bless.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1224845411535478784?s=20

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hell gently caress it why not

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Wikipedia says not technically the UK but hold wait what?

quote:

LONDON — Lawmakers on the island of Jersey have approved scrapping a decades-old law that prevented married women from talking to the tax authorities without the permission of their husband or filing taxes under their own names, a mechanism described by a local senator as “archaic.”
When civil unions and same-sex marriages became legal on the island, the law allowed the older partner to take the role of “husband” and the younger “wife.”

twoday
May 4, 2005

oliwan posted:

ah, I was about to translate some of your dutch posts, but I see you used the qualified "cpam post"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

So with the Iowa situation is the UK holding the USAs beer right now or still the other way around regarding political gently caress ups?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/benjolly9/status/1224703032824410114?s=21

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

ah, I was about to translate some of your dutch posts, but I see you used the qualified "cpam post"

feel free to show a dutch post of mine that is in any way right wing op

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Every day I wake up and think the Us is filled with dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Then I see something about the UK and realize that it's not really a competition and that every country might just be full of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

oliwan posted:

feel free to show a dutch post of mine that is in any way right

twoday
May 4, 2005

oliwan posted:

feel free to show a dutch post of mine that is in any way right wing op

Well, as the IK/mini-mod of the Dutch thread one of my only policies was to crack down on people making fun of Flemish and Frisian and Afrikaans, because some posters who speak those things said they felt harassed. Then someone made a post saying Frisian is not a real language (it is legally recognized as one of the two languages of the Netherlands), and I gave them a sixer. At this point you made a long sincere post about why this was wrong of me to do, and it ended with:

oliwan posted:

We hebben echt geen Amerikanen nodig die ons gaan vertellen wat voor grappen we over andere Nederlandse taalvarianten mogen maken, het is een beetje weird moet ik zeggen.

(Translation: We really don't need any Americans telling us what kind of jokes we can make about "Dutch language variants", it's a little weird I must say.)

And then you offered to take over as IK. So even though I am a Dutch citizen and equal to you under the law, you said that because I am an immigrant who recently learned the language, I have no right to meddle in the linguistic affairs of this country. After this there were several pages of discussion during which everyone else intensely disagreed with you. The underlying linguistic
chauvinism and nativist sentiment, however, is functionally indistinguishable from these "joke posts" of yours in this thread:

oliwan posted:

Sorry but i bloody agree i aint racist i have worked with people who have been in england for over 5 years and still cant speak english but somehowbget a job. Sorry but f i was to immigrate im making sure im fluent in the mother tounge b4 i even step foot. Why shoukd e have to try and understand them wen they dont want to learn.

oliwan posted:

I just don't go to a restaurant again if the staff insist on speaking their mother tongue when they can speak English as it's just downright rude. As for holidays I find that most people speak excellent English and admire the fact they are bilingual. When I'm on holiday I always show respect for the culture and countries I visit. The only place I found this difficult to adhere to was America as they were loud and brash... but maybe that's just the part I visited.

oliwan posted:

On public transport, I find it rude when others don’t just speak their own language, but shout in their own language to each other, it really does make you feel uncomfortable. When we go to other countries on holidays you go their to take in the culture and try as much as you can to learn the language.

oliwan posted:

I'm sorry but they would expect British people to learn to speak their language from where they came from so why shouldn't they have to learn English if they come to live here? Inside their own home they can speak any language they want but when speaking to a British person they should speak English.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

So I repeat myself,

Squizzle posted:

seemed like a post you would really make tho :shrug:

twoday has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Feb 5, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

speaking of immigration,

https://twitter.com/Nclarke30/status/1225121693179371520?s=20

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

quote:

In 2016, the Supreme Court ruled the rule had been wrongly interpreted for 30 years, resulting in people being convicted of a murder they did not intend or commit.

:staredog:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Well, as the IK/mini-mod of the Dutch thread one of my only policies was to crack down on people making fun of Flemish and Frisian and Afrikaans as languages, because some posters who speak those things said they felt harassed. Then someone made a post saying Frisian is not a real language (it is legally recognized as one of the two languages of the Netherlands), and I gave them a sixer. At this point you made a long sincere post about why this was wrong of me to do, and it ended with:

And then you offered to take over as IK. So even though I am a Dutch citizen and equal to you under the law, you said that because I am an immigrant who recently learned the language, I have no right to meddle in the linguistic affairs of this country. After this there were several pages of discussion during which everyone else intensely disagreed with you. The underlying nationalist and nativist sentiment, however, is functionally indistinguishable from these "joke posts" of yours in this thread:

So I repeat myself,

i know that Americans love telling other people and cultures how to behave, but yes, i still stand by my statement that you, an American who has just recently learned dutch, are in no position to tell native dutch speakers what they are allowed to say about dutch as a language, no matter what nationality you are.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Look guys we're all terrible and Dutch is a beautifully terrible language with a load of faults but can we keep the Dutch fighting out of the UK thread?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
this whole situation is totally bizarre by the way.

i have posted some bizarre daily mail posts here to show how crazy those brexiteer opinions are, and consequently i have to defend myself as if i wrote those posts because "i could have written them". this is insane.

twoday
May 4, 2005

E

twoday has issued a correction as of 14:00 on Feb 6, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

An insane mind posted:

Look guys we're all terrible and Dutch is a beautifully terrible language with a load of faults but can we keep the Dutch fighting out of the UK thread?

Agreed, sorry for the derail, I will withhold from posting here further on this matter

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1225133613634768896?s=20

didn't know Bercow was Jewish

it would have been great if he had said all this about not never experiencing anti-semitic attacks from labour back when there was the whole controversy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

he did, he expressly said corbyn wasn't anti-semitic to him in an interview that no one cared about