Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Pre-Brexit thread can be found by following this quote:

Pollyanna posted:

omg is befit finally bag groundhog

twoday has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
So...Can someone give me the long and short of what's gonna happen and how hosed the UK/Britain is?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Pretty much almost nothing has changed for the average Brit since 6 months ago, because most of the effects of Brexit have been delayed yet again until Jan 1, 2021. As of today, the main difference is that the UK is no longer a part of the decision-making process of the EU. How and what will change depends on the deal that is agreed upon between now and then, if any. Hard Brexit is still possible, and now the EU has little reason to negotiate fairly other than out of an interest to avoid causing a humanitarian crisis.

In the meantime the US is doing their best to swoop in and negotiate a trade deal that will allow them to become the UK's most influential trading partner, though presumably they have competition from the EU and China and other major powers. How that unfolds will be interesting, so stay tuned!

twoday has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Feb 1, 2020

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doomrider7 posted:

So...Can someone give me the long and short of what's gonna happen and how hosed the UK/Britain is?

When they leave the EU they are gonna be hosed. Most likely gonna lose Northern Ireland, and all their trade partners. Scotland might leave them too

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Well, post what I was gonna post before: How likely is the EU to give Britain more than Jan 2021 to negotiate trade deals before it truly becomes the garbage fire it desperately wants to be?

Mostly want to start thread watching once things pop off and avoid the Tory gloating until then.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
From the first page of last thread, "oh how we laughed"

quote:

The New York Times posted:

LONDON — Prime Minister Theresa May of Britain on Tuesday called for a snap election for June 8, clearly anxious that her thin majority in Parliament would weaken her hand in complicated negotiations on the British exit from the European Union.

In breaking her often-repeated vow not to call an early election before 2020, Mrs. May emphasized the need for unity in Parliament before undertaking what promises to be complex and tortuous negotiations on Britain’s exit from the bloc, or “Brexit.”

“The country is coming together, but Westminster is not,” Mrs. May said in a sudden appearance outside the prime minister’s residence at 10 Downing Street, adding that she had “only recently and reluctantly come to this conclusion.”

Having fired the starting gun for two years of talks with Brussels and the other 27 members of the European Union only last month, Mrs. May is already facing divisions within her own Conservative Party. She is clearly counting on a strong performance in June — before those talks get serious and difficult, before the British economy is seen to be hit and before critical German elections in the fall — to carry her government through the exit, hard or soft, which she has promised to deliver.

& Twoday, I replied to you, but thread got blapped before I managed to hit enter : Yeah, mother has limited voting here, despite living here for almost 50 years.

staberind has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Feb 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Someone marry me so I can flee I'll punish your posting enemies

twoday
May 4, 2005

Isizzlehorn posted:

Well, post what I was gonna post before: How likely is the EU to give Britain more than Jan 2021 to negotiate trade deals before it truly becomes the garbage fire it desperately wants to be?

Mostly want to start thread watching once things pop off and avoid the Tory gloating until then.

I don't think there were many, if any, tories in the last thread

I think by now the EU is sick of endless negotiating, and having a whole extra year seems more than enough to negotiate a deal. IIRC they have already figured out a solution to the Northern Ireland problem, which was to make the trade border effectively be between NI and Britain, enforced by the UK entirely (which allows of course for a tremendous loophole of smuggling opportunities, and various other problems). I think most of the extension is to grant even further time for companies and governments to adjust to the reality of things, and work out some small kinks

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jose posted:

unusual meter but the couplet works

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not someone in the us I want to move somewhere good

twoday
May 4, 2005

Squizzle posted:

unusual meter but the couplet works

:hmmyes:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Jose posted:

what's the dowry here, do you have claim to any titles?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Happy Independence Day to you!

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Over Easy posted:

british people don't undersand Independence they have have a queen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

twoday posted:

what's the dowry here, do you have claim to any titles?

I'll make sure you get to be ik in the new fast food forum that might be made

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Over Easy posted:

We have not declared Marshall Law, quite yet.
this will probably get p. hairy though.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Jose posted:

I'll make sure you get to be ik in the new fast food forum that might be made

hop on the ferry at newcastle before they shut down the port due to coronavirus, you have yourself a husband

twoday
May 4, 2005

bring mushroom ketchup and cider

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

bring mushroom ketchup and cider

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

twoday posted:

Pretty much almost nothing has changed for the average Brit since 6 months ago, because most of the effects of Brexit have been delayed yet again until Jan 1, 2021. As of today, the main difference is that the UK is no longer a part of the decision-making process of the EU. How and what will change depends on the deal that is agreed upon between now and then, if any. Hard Brexit is still possible, and now the EU has little reason to negotiate fairly other than out of an interest to avoid causing a humanitarian crisis.

In the meantime the US is doing their best to swoop in and negotiate a trade deal that will allow them to become the UK's most influential trading partner, though presumably they have competition from the EU and China and other major powers. How that unfolds will be interesting, so stay tuned!

What would this mean for the country who gets the nod?

twoday
May 4, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

What would this mean for the country who gets the nod?

well, the UK's previous trade agreements were all within the context of the EU, which functioned as a single economic block. Now the UK economy is up for grabs, and they are starting from a nearly blank slate. So now the US, for instance, can arrange entirely new trade deals. One thing the US is keen to do recently is trade food. This is because the regulations for food production in the US are much less stringent than in the EU. So for instance, GMO vegetables are banned in the EU, as well as various techniques for processing meat, such as the famous "chlorinated chicken." If the US can secure a trade deal with with the UK that allows them to sell these products there, there are substantial profits to be made. Because the US rules are laxer, it makes production of these products cheaper. So if the US secures a trade deal with the UK that allows these products to be imported (which would have been a violation of EU law), then the US sellers can undercut the European and British chicken farmers, and sell much cheaper products, and thus sell a lot of chicken, and thus make more money. Now that the UK is free from EU regulations, they can arrange such deals.

Also, the tories are pushing to defund the NHS and privatize healthcare. America is also heavily involved in the private healthcare industry, and it would stand to gain a lot if similar things happened in the British healthcare system.

Now, apply that logic to China and the EU and the other big global trading powers. Pretty much, the UK is now for sale. Whoever woos them with the best offer can influence their laws in a way that was not previously possible, and secure a lot of potential profit.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Conversely, this is bad for UK consumers. Because the UK is a much smaller economy than the entire EU, which it was a part of when it made previous deals, that means that they now have much less leverage in negotiations with larger economies and fewer regulatory protections. They're on their own

However the UK can not sustain itself and wants needs the business of these larger countries to stay afloat as a nation, but they have relatively little to offer in return, so they have to bend over backwards and change their laws and standards to secure this sort of deal. While this is bad for the average UK citizen, it's great for the extremely wealthy Brits who can buy shares and otherwise profit from these trade deals. The interests of those people are represented by the tories, who currently run the country with an overwhelming majority.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

twoday posted:

Conversely, this is bad for UK consumers.

Basically more lovely made foods with more cancer/disease causing ingredients and an allowable % of vermin poo poo and factory waste.

twoday
May 4, 2005

yeah, but I was also using the food industry as an example. The tories want to privatize everything, and shift control from public towards private interests. The same process will occur with regards to energy resources, healthcare, airlines, and pretty much all sectors of the economy. Brexit under a tory government provides a blank slate which feckless corporate interests can exploit.

for instance, one thing the brexiteers used as propaganda was the fishing industry. Under the EU laws, much of the fishing rights in UK waters went to European (largely Dutch and Spanish) ships. British fishers were told that Brexit would "give them back control" of their waters. Not true! The fishing rights will remain in control of the european fishers because the tories don't actually give a poo poo about the british fishers, and want only to make as much profit as possible, which they can do by selling the fishing rights to european megacorps and not to poor british fishers.

twoday has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Feb 1, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

The UK voters are not happy with me--that's okay, I'll still keep eating that herring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

twoday posted:

yeah, but I was also using the food industry as an example. The tories want to privatize everything, and shift control from public towards private interests. The same process will occur with regards to energy resources, healthcare, airlines, and pretty much all sectors of the economy. Brexit under a tory government provides a blank slate which corporations can exploit.

for instance, one thing the brexiteers used as propaganda was the fishing industry. Under the EU laws, much of the fishing rights in UK waters went to European (largely Dutch and Spanish) ships. British fishers were told that Brexit would "give them back control" of their waters. Not true! The fishing rights will remain in control of the european fishers because the tories don't actually give a poo poo about the british fishers, and want only to make as much profit as possible, which they can do by selling the fishing rights to european megacorps and not to poor british fishers.

this article owns lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/business/grimsby-brexit.html

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
do we know what brexit means yet?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GSD posted:

it means jose is joining the IDF

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GSD posted:

turn off ur monitor

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Not someone in the us I want to move somewhere good

What if Bernie wins?

twoday
May 4, 2005

the other thing about the fishing industry is that the particular fish which any individual country eats were cemented into nationalist tradition centuries ago, and for various reasons including climate change since the Little Ice Age, British consumers no longer desire the fish which are available in their own waters. Fish and Chips needs whitefish, which are now more commonly found in Nordic and Icelandic waters; and the sprats and langoustines and octopodes which are found in British waters are more commonly consumed in Scandinavia, France, Portugal and elsewhere abroad where there are stronger traditions and commercial demands for them. British waters are filled with herring for instance, and while there is a demand in the UK for kippers it's not strong enough to consume all of the British herring, so much of it must be sold to places like Holland and Sweden for the fishers to turn a decent profit. This great exchange of fish worked much more smoothly under a single market. Now, even if the British had control of their waters (which they won't), it wouldn't do them much good because they would be catching a bunch of fish that Brits don't want to eat.

Imagine 4 fish that can't be used to make fish and chips lying on the edge of a British fishing boat. Brexit works the same way.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

roarpower posted:

british people don't undersand Independence they have have a queen

one queen to share among an entire island of Independent Kings

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Isizzlehorn posted:

probably not much longer given how the tories nationalist mentality means they can't actually negotiate at all

EU's stance on Britain: alright you can leave but uh we're not giving you all those huge concessions we made to get you to join the eu

Britain's stance on EU: as a world superpower with the strongest army and the best industry, you would be ruined without us

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Over Easy posted:

no. you stupid people still have a monarchy in 2020. You are supposed to be a first world country

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Over Easy posted:

roarpower posted:

no. you stupid people still have a monarchy in 2020. You are supposed to be a first world country

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so when's Scotland gonna sack up and leave

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

so when's Scotland gonna sack up and leave

:hmmyes:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i think the mistake people are making is assuming that britain is "a country" or a "nation state" anymore. it isn't. it is a bunch of land that surrounds london, and london itself is not a city, it is a gigantic washing machine for billions of dollars of blood money that flows into it from gulf states and various oligarchs and organized crime groups all around the world. it is a ghost land where ghost acts stand in for real change. brexit, like the gulf war, did not really happen. this is why i am struggling to engage with the labour leadership race - until they recognize these facts about "the united kingdom", there is no hope.

twoday
May 4, 2005

same but the global economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
thank GOD there's a new british politics thread because I tried to post in the last one to ask something and it was closed

so what I want to know is

what does brexit mean