Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tellarites: Clear-speakers

Ferengi: Profitless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Vulcans: "humans"

Oof

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Betazoids: Fifth Senses

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah so did Troi wear all black contacts the whole time because I never noticed

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Even in HD it’s tough to notice it sometimes.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

it is no wonder that most ferengi strut about with such big lobe energy

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah, she did. I think she might not have in the movies though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

I remember hearing about that but yeah, never noticed either really. How much that must suck to spend years of your life doing something that makes no impact whatsoever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It would be like after Dorn spent years of actual life sitting on a chair getting Worfed, people were like oh poo poo I thought he just frowned a lot

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Vulcans: Illogicians

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MichiganCubbie posted:

they slowly stopped giving a poo poo about all her betazoidisms as the series progressed, surprised she wasn't using rhyming slang by nemesis

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brawnfire posted:

Tellarites: Clear-speakers

Ferengi: Profitless

The Borg: "analogues"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't actually have a problem with how it played out because I like Marina Sirtis but the whole counselor-as-bridge-crew idea is kind of dumb.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

IN THEORY i kinda like the idea IN THEORY as a jumping off point for a story but i do not believe they ever did much interesting with it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

I don't actually have a problem with how it played out because I like Marina Sirtis but the whole counselor-as-bridge-crew idea is kind of dumb.

I would have enjoyed people asking "may I be dismissed" and then going off into a little office and having frank conversations about how they're feeling about situations. Different angles on plot situations, clarification of character motivations, and character development all wrapped up in nice scene.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

:same: even if it never amounted to anything. The further they deviated from the S1/2 ultra-serious Troi, the better she got. S6-7/Movie Troi actually has a personality beyond “likes chocolate, hates her mom, loves Will”. They really should have put her in the Starfleet uniform way earlier in the show and made her the senior diplomat instead of always defaulting to Picard.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

And that's if they'd sell at all, lots of studios won't sell IPs that they see zero value in because nobody wants to be the guy that sold, I dunno, Babylon 5, walked away from the deal with half a billion bucks and then they make a movie or whatever and it does a billion at the BO.

lol forever at the notion of markets driven by "rational actors"

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

MichiganCubbie posted:

She had to remind the Picard producers that she wore contacts, then went so far as to dig them out and the wig she wore in Nemesis so they could reuse them for the show.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Andorians: "pinkskins" (also slightly racist, i would like to have seen Mayweather kick off about it in Enterprise)
I always wondered about this. It seemed like it was a slur at first, but Shran continued using it to refer to Archer after the two became bros.

So maybe not as bad as "spoonheads" but not complementary like "big lobes"?

And I'm sure Shran didn't use "paleface" or the like to refer to the Aenar once he met them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:same: even if it never amounted to anything. The further they deviated from the S1/2 ultra-serious Troi, the better she got. S6-7/Movie Troi actually has a personality beyond “likes chocolate, hates her mom, loves Will”. They really should have put her in the Starfleet uniform way earlier in the show and made her the senior diplomat instead of always defaulting to Picard.

don't

question

her

counsoling

techniques

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think Sirtis said her read on the character before production started was that she was supposed to be just about the smartest person on the drat ship, and then the producers decided she needed her boobs out and apparently late-80s Hollywood writers could not reconcile "smart" with "tits". Then when she got the regular spacesuit she got way brighter. It's a drat shame.

mllaneza posted:

A2 Starfleet Academy series has been pitched several times since TMP hit theaters. Maybe it'll actually happen this time, maybe it won't. If it happens instead of Pike's Enterprise then i'm gonna be upset.

I'm not... fundamentally against a series set at the Academy (or focused on cadets, at least), but gently caress do I absolutely loathe the notion of "Kirk and Spock and the gang all meet up as cadets and learn how to become the superhero team best buds we all love!"

Yes I know Harve Bennett wanted to do that and I still think Paramount was right to turn it down.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Season 6-7 and movie Troi had a lot of Marina’s actual personality bleeding through, it felt. And the character was better for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Troi is a lot more fun as soon as she puts on the uniform. When did she start seeing Worf? That was weird but cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd lay money on a bet that sexy counselor Troi was 100 percent a Gene thing

Rhyno posted:

Troi is a lot more fun as soon as she puts on the uniform. When did she start seeing Worf? That was weird but cool.

Holo Geordi didn't think so

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holo Geordi was sacrificed to pay for the real Geordi's sins.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

zoux posted:

I feel like the only reason this happened is because TNG started in the 80s amidst a bunch of pop psychology fads. If it were written today she might just be an full ambassador or something instead. Or whatever Ilia was going to be on Phase 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Holo Geordi was sacrificed to pay for the real Geordi's sins.

Leah Brahms just sippin the tea

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

zoux posted:

I'd lay money on a bet that sexy counselor Troi was 100 percent a Gene thing

He probably read that bit in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy about Erotica Galumbtits, "the triple breasted whore of Sexotica IV" (or whatever it was) and said, "Amateur, I can do better, give her four titties." It was Gerrold or Fontana IIRC who talked him out of that part.

(I don't know if he ever read the book but yes Troi was originally supposed to have four breasts.)

e:

Rhyno posted:

So Jellico is responsible for Troi becoming a good character? I'll buy it, yet another reason why he was the best ever captain of the -D.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 5, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Delsaber posted:

I feel like the only reason this happened is because TNG started in the 80s amidst a bunch of pop psychology fads. If it were written today she might just be an full ambassador or something instead. Or whatever Ilia was going to be on Phase 2.

Sexy navigator but she's so sexy she has to swear celibacy or else all the humans on board would kill each other trying to have sex with her?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Jellico song for Jellico cats

MichiganCubbie posted:

Sexy navigator but she's so sexy she has to swear celibacy or else all the humans on board would kill each other trying to have sex with her?

Permanent Pon Farr

e: Do Romulans experience pon farr or is that a consequence of radical volcelibacy

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

zoux posted:

A Jellico song for Jellico cats

Permanent Pon Farr

e: Do Romulans experience pon farr or is that a consequence of radical volcelibacy

The Virgin Romulan vs. the Chad Vulcan explains so much

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Right before he got spirited away to DS9

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I just finished Disco Season 2... My thoughts:

Liked:
- Pike
- Burnham family drama
- The first eps were very Trek
- More crew exposure
- FINAL SPACE BATTLE had good pacing and emotional beats (terrible space visuals tho)
- Saru: Rude Mode and that whole arc
- Undid the "kill the gays" trope... Kinda
- Reno, the perfect woman.
- Sphere episode

Disliked:
- Kill Ariam for no reason
- Stupid sexy Spock
- Terminator meets John Woo
- Section 31 is actually heroic because spies are cool.
- USS BLACK VAN (would've been cool if they hinted it was a stolen Warbird since... It deffo is, except there are 39 of them?)
- The sphere is clearly sentient and they just try to kill it like 5 times and bo one talks about it...

There are definitely some really poorly handled elements. Section 31 stuff feels like a prequel to A Few Good Men where Jessup is painted as probably right.

Spock should've been Sybok because:
- It's weird he isn't mentioned
- Already disheveled bearman
- Doesn't have much of an Arc as it is so he's prime material vs retreading Spock's arc a few years before it happens all over again?
- Wouldn't be the second sexy Spock reboot in a row.

Overall I think the 3rd season seems interesting and the parallels with the ToS original movies are neat? Like Control is dark V'Ger (visually the time travel stuff does the same,) the uniforms are leaning towards the TMP and WoK designs...

I just wish it had gotten like 2 more revisions and not had to shove stupid sexy Spock down our throats. But I've always thought Sarek should've been a different Vulcan... I think Burnham is more interesting than just Spock's sister, but the show keeps trying to give her important relationships instead of allowing her to develop an actual arc.
It was interesting watching her take what she thought was a logical leap under pressure in S1, turn that failure into motivation and then...
They spent 5 episodes in the MU playing Warhammer.

Or in this season, the crew growing as a family and learning to trust Starfleet was cool and interesting but then we had to recap Terminator...

I guess it's just weird that the prestige television stuff isn't about the characters but these big movie plots, when the character writing is actually pretty good? I like Saru, Pike and Reno a lot, I like the discovery crew all pretty much except maybe Ash Tyler... So why are we spending so much time with Leland and Mirror Universe Georgiu? They're both potentially interesting villains but actually no, they are heroes in the war vs SkyNet?

Idk, I think there's probably now almost an entire good season of Discovery there, but it's buried and cut up into a bunch of episodes with weird action movie baggage... There were two separate double phaser scenes. So the Ohasers are just guns now... Ugh.

Edit: Sirtis has elaborated on her original vision of Troi based on the character pitched to her and it's a loving shame we will never see her like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anson Mount Pike kicks rear end and if they wanted to do that spinoff and ignore the Cage and the one where he's in a rolling beep box well no great loss

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s a rumor going round that the Pike show is in development.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Literally nobody hates Pike and they'd be stupid not to latch onto one of the few positive things to come out of STD, especially since they're fine throwing money around

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many years between the end of s2 of Disco and the Terrible Maiming of Captain Pike by the Coward Radioactive Steam

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Like 10ish I think.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of Doctor Crusher a page or so ago,

https://twitter.com/gates_mcfadden/status/1225109829645148160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Pikeprise show that’s mostly episodic with light recurring elements, Discovery/Picard with heavy serialization and season arcs. Short Treks miniseries starring Rosa Salazar and H. Jon Benjamin as the twin brother of his other character. There, now everyone gets what they want.

Hire me, CBS.