Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

No Safe Word posted:

Which makes her not an idiot somehow?

I mean she's speaking in bad faith. She doesn't believe what she's saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

Stop being so melodramatic. You are talking about Virginia as if it were Wyoming or Arkansas. The GOP hasn't won a statewide race there since 2004. Things may have taken time to filter down to the local level, and congratulations on wrenching power away from the cultists, but it that is still not a proof of nationwide Democratic enthusiasm and energy. If Doug Jones wins re-election against someone who isn't a pedophile, or a Democrat wins statewide in Georgia - that is something to take note of. If Maryland votes out Hogan - then great for the MD democrats not being completely terrible, but that's also not something to indicate any nationwide trends.

OK, let's clear up a couple things. First of all, your second sentence? Wrong. Republicans won the governorship there in 2009. The next gubernatorial and Senate races were UNCOMFORTABLY close, even if they did put Democrats in office, and it didn't matter anyway because the VA GOP had a supermajority in both houses of VA's Congress.

Even as it voted statewide for Democrats, locally VA was gerrymandered to hell and its laws were nearly indistinguishable from a Wyoming or Arkansas. Friendbot, Fancy, and many others here worked their tails off over the course of more than four years this decade to finally turn the tide locally, and here you come, making GBS threads all over their efforts.

Gee, I can't imagine why he'd get indignant about it, can you? Maybe think before you speak.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol Mitt's milking this so hard

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Had to say a little prayer to God to say sorry that he's gonna lie his dumb rear end off

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1225132798643707904

Wow. This is actually surprising to me.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Just need to keep the other Democrats in line to ruin this acquittal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

same. i think its because he sees beyond trump and wants to take mitchs spot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TyrantWD posted:

Manchin and/or Sinema are gonna gently caress this right up in some dumb vote swap deal like with Kav aren't they?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I wonder if they're gonna try to eject him from the party

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TyrantWD posted:

The wheels will be spinning hard to deny bipartisan support to remove from office.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

sexpig by night posted:

Manchin and/or Sinema are gonna gently caress this right up in some dumb vote swap deal like with Kav aren't they?

God I hope not. If it's partisan to acquit, that negates the entire "partisan only impeachment" talking point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tecnocrat posted:

God I hope not. If it's partisan to acquit, that negates the entire "partisan only impeachment" talking point.

I really hope that they stay in line but I just have such little faith in these cowards.

Jones was a good barometer, I hope.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well, good for Romney. I mean that unironically.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

whens the vote today?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If they can keep Manchin and Sinema in line that is a pretty notable win for D's.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. i think its because he sees beyond trump and wants to take mitchs spot.

I actually think Romney wants to be Secretary of State, and I think he’d actually be a good choice for it since at this point it just need to be rebuilt.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I actually think Romney wants to be Secretary of State, and I think he’d actually be a good choice for it since at this point it just need to be rebuilt.

He wants to be Biden's Sec State you mean.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I could see them voting to censure him in a gross parody of justice.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Maybe, but if they do they lose that senate seat. No one is dislodging Romney from Utah.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whens the vote today?

Starts at 4PM, it will take somewhat longer than that for all the votes to be cast and the result announced.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

He wants to be Biden's Sec State you mean.

Maybe he could work with Bernie.

The biggest thing necessary right now is just reclaiming all the institutional knowledge that trump and tillerson just discarded.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Notable.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1225134894323585025

FizFashizzle posted:

The biggest thing necessary right now is just reclaiming all the institutional knowledge that trump and tillerson just discarded.

LOL no loving way. One of the best reasons to vote for Bernie is that he has a new vision of foreign policy that is completely different from the horrific current D/R consensus.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1225137401368059906

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

i think he is aiming for majority/minority lead and he is gonna try to "bring back sanity" to the GOP type deal.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Faustian Bargain posted:

Edit: it would be a serious and funny thumb to the eye if even one gop senator said convict and took away trumps dumb argument about it being 100% partisan.
:sickos:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oh god yes. my hope is the dems have manchin and simiea locked down and with romney voting to convict(plus maybe other surprises) who knows.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just think of all those Alt Right Trump gloryfests Toilet Paper America throws that Romney won't be invited to now.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh god yes. my hope is the dems have manchin and simiea locked down and with romney voting to convict(plus maybe other surprises) who knows.

hmm. Maybe I should watch it just in case history is made after all.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Glumslinger posted:

No, they might need him to vote for the Senate Majority Leader.

Utah has more NeverTrumpers than average and Romney is popular there. They have a House seat they need to retake from a Democrat.

It's not a battle worth fighting for them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Madkal posted:

Just think of all those Alt Right Trump gloryfests Toilet Paper America throws that Romney won't be invited to now.

yeah and romney gets to play being the martyr for integreity and justice. the dude just bought himself a leading position when the GOP shits its brains out and has to "change" to survive.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ague Proof posted:

Utah has more NeverTrumpers than average and Romney is popular there. They have a House seat they need to retake from a Democrat.

Trump is going to make them fight that battle

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Trump is going to make them fight that battle

It's frightening how afraid the GOP is of a dementia-riddled narcissist who has been electoral poison for the last two years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

idk. depends how november goes i guess. i think he is gambling trump and the GOP senate get slaughtered/lose in november so he can rise from the ashes at the head of the remnant.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Pool spray"

I'm never going to get used to this kind of press jargon.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

never forget when romney had to eat trump's poo poo in public

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

We’ll probably never know if it was the straw that broke the camel’s back but lol at Trump being dumb af to vow revenge on Mitt over witnesses before the final vote.

Unfortunately the longer Manchin/Sinema hold out probably the more likely theirs will be stealth acquittal announcements right before the vote.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 5, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah and romney gets to play being the martyr for integreity and justice. the dude just bought himself a leading position when the GOP shits its brains out and has to "change" to survive.

Maybe he knows something about Trump's health...

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

If Trump loses his re-election, Romney is absolutely safe. 4 years is a long time to memory hole Trump, and Senate seats are very valuable - a Democrat Mormon like Reid could be in there a long time.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I know the dream is dead and hope is a lie

But not voting for witnesses, then getting a majority vote for acquital (not sure but I think you still need 2/3 to make it stick) would be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Romney's already on an island, wake me up when someone joins him.