Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oracle posted:

Maybe he knows something about Trump's health...

maybe, but i think romney has probably seen all the polling and backroom talking and all that and figures trump is probably hosed and the GOP senate majority might be too. romney is an empty suit but he is smart enough to try to realize that bending over for trump will end him. it also helps that his state doesnt care for trump that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Mitt probably ruined Trump's day; anything else after that is just gravy. I don't really care how many times Mitt gets to go on the Sunday shows or if he becomes the new hero of the NeverTrumpers like Rubin and Navarro. It spoiled Donny's little quinceanera.

Whether he did it for selfish reasons or not is irrelevant to me; the effect is the same.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tibalt posted:

If Trump loses his re-election, Romney is absolutely safe. 4 years is a long time to memory hole Trump

Trump does not want to be memory holed and he doesn't care if it would be good for anyone else or the party as a whole.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Mitt probably ruined Trump's day; anything else after that is just gravy. I don't really care how many times Mitt gets to go on the Sunday shows or if he becomes the new hero of the NeverTrumpers like Rubin and Navarro. It spoiled Donny's little quinceanera.

Like trump is going to care about anything other than acquittal.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

yronic heroism posted:

We’ll probably never know if it was the straw that broke the camel’s back but lol at Trump being dumb af to vow revenge on Mitt over witnesses before the final vote.

Unfortunately the longer Manchin/Sinema hold out probably the more likely theirs will be stealth acquittal announcements right before the vote.

If anything, Romney gives Manchin and Sinema cover to vote for removal. If they were going to lose their seats, it would happen no matter how they voted here.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 5, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

haveblue posted:

Trump does not want to be memory holed and he doesn't care if it would be good for anyone else or the party as a whole.
If Trump loses, no one in the RNC is going to take his calls, and he won't remember the phone number in 3 years anyway.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, why would one of the most notoriously petty men in the entirety of the US care about something small and trivial.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Whether he did it for selfish reasons or not is irrelevant to me; the effect is the same.

same. he did the right thing when it mattered and doing so gave cover to Manchin and Sinema.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tibalt posted:

If Trump loses, no one in the RNC is going to take his calls, and he won't remember the phone number in 3 years anyway.

If Trump loses his Twitter feed will effectively replace the RNC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tibalt posted:

They can't shut down his twitter, so unless he gets thrown in prison he can still talk to anyone who wants to listen

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I am genuinely surprised by Romney showing contrition and the pretence of morality on this one.

Good for him.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Glumslinger posted:

Trump is going to make them fight that battle

I'm dumb.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

LOL, I don't think you know anything about Donald John Trump at all.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
What Romney just did honestly deserves commendation. Not that doing the right thing deserves asspats, but having the guts to do it knowing that his party is going to tear him apart for it is respectable.

I wonder if he will switch parties after this. Probably not, but it would be interesting to see.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. he did the right thing when it mattered and doing so gave cover to Manchin and Sinema.

Manchin hasn't said anything, but I think the likelihood of him voting yes on at least one article just went up significantly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Framboise posted:

What Romney just did honestly deserves commendation. Not that doing the right thing deserves asspats, but having the guts to do it knowing that his party is going to tear him apart for it is respectable.

I wonder if he will switch parties after this. Probably not, but it would be interesting to see.

i dont think so. like i said. he is doing this because 1. he hates trump for various reasons and probably does believe he is guilty. 2 he believes this will help him rebuild the GOP after trump falls.

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1225142143779508225

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Framboise posted:

yes the Dems need another (D) that votes along with Republicans 90% of the time

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I presume we are going to get a couple of approved GoP voters that will vote for removal to make the process seem more "even"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I presume we are going to get a couple of approved GoP voters that will vote for removal to make the process seem more "even"

i think we will but it wont be approved.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Collins already retreated to the safety of "HE DEFINITELY LEARNED FROM THIS!" so Romney is likely the only one. He's straight up the only person now to vote to convict a president from his own party, it's not the sort of thing you get hall passes for. Unless Collins gets spooked again once more for a third time I guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

big trivia FAIL posted:

I mean gently caress him but we take Manchin's vote for Majority Leader, right? I see no difference with Romney.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

as far as I know, the only people who might've done this (other than Romney) have already said they won't

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont think so. like i said. he is doing this because 1. he hates trump for various reasons and probably does believe he is guilty. 2 he believes this will help him rebuild the GOP after trump falls.

Best of luck to him then.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

mcmagic posted:

Notable.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1225134894323585025

LOL no loving way. One of the best reasons to vote for Bernie is that he has a new vision of foreign policy that is completely different from the horrific current D/R consensus.

Making sure I am accurate and don't get ahead of myself, 66 senators need to vote YEA to convict trump correct? How many republicans is that?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

big trivia FAIL posted:

While that's true, aren't the heads/composition of committees as well as who gets to be Majority Leader determined by which group has more people? Or do they vote on those things individually.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

syntaxrigger posted:

Making sure I am accurate and don't get ahead of myself, 66 senators need to vote YEA to convict trump correct? How many republicans is that?

1. That was the ceiling. 1.

professor_curly posted:

While that's true, aren't the heads/composition of committees as well as who gets to be Majority Leader determined by which group has more people? Or do they vote on those things individually.

Yes. I would take any vote for a D Majority Leader at this point. Even from an rear end in a top hat like Romney. It stops any Trump judicial appointment.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

CyberPingu posted:

Not a chance. Having even one GOP vote for removal is a huge stain on the affair. More than one in this era of partisanship would be mind-blowing, and McConnell would sooner delay the vote until they can "convince" them to see the error of their ways.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

syntaxrigger posted:

67 senators, and 19 Republicans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

Best of luck to him then.

same. i dislike the man. but i kinda admire the balls/fortitude/courage of this move and the fact that it will probably work down the line because he is the only GOP dude with some loving forsight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syntaxrigger posted:

67 yea votes are needed (66 is less than 2/3 of 100) so 19 more.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I really, really hate Romney and think he's a loving dingus. But my late father was a big fan till the day he died. Romney voting to convict Trump genuinely warms my heart.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TGLT posted:

Collins already retreated to the safety of "HE DEFINITELY LEARNED FROM THIS!" so Romney is likely the only one. He's straight up the only person now to vote to convict a president from his own party, it's not the sort of thing you get hall passes for. Unless Collins gets spooked again once more for a third time I guess.

I really hope some reporter asks Collins what she thinks now that Trump went "lol no I didn't"

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I really, really hate Romney and think he's a loving dingus. But my late father was a big fan till the day he died. Romney voting to convict Trump genuinely warms my heart.

Same here. I swore he was an actual robot. Nice to see a Senator with a small shred of integrity.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Tibalt posted:

67 senators, and 19 Republicans.

Thanks

haveblue posted:

67 yea votes are needed (66 is less than 2/3 of 100) so 19 more.

you can have my rounding error when you pry it from my cold dead hands! We clearly need to cut the shins off of a republican senator.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
let's not make any bones about this. Mitt's wrong. He's dead wrong that there's any future for old style sadistic ghouls like him who are mainly upset that these new ghouls are just so OVERT about the agenda, and Utah still is solidly pro-Trump. He's self-immolating. You can call it brave and principled and all if you believe in that but he'll be alone in this and aside from the typical "SIR WELCOME TO THE RESISTANCE, I AM WIPING TEARS FROM MY EYES SIR" nonsense no one on the democratic side should give a poo poo what he thinks. We're still at risk of losing possibly two votes to completely nullify his move because our two most famous cowards are immune from getting whipped it seems.

It will make the cultists angry, though, which does own.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it also helps that his state doesnt care for trump that much.

Yeah I don’t know where you’re getting your info but I live here and it’s definitely Trump country.

“According to the poll analysis, “The survey, conducted for UtahPolicy.com and 2 News by Y2 Analytics shows 52% of likely voters approve of President Trump, while 45% disapprove, giving the president a net-positive approval rating of +7.”

The same outfit in October found Romney’s job approval underwater, at 46%-51%.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/trump-more-popular-in-utah-than-romney-as-senator-weighs-impeachment

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/2...titute-approval

https://kutv.com/news/local/for-the-first-time-a-majority-of-utah-voters-approve-of-president-donald-trump

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I agree on that.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mds2 posted:

Same here. I swore he was an actual robot. Nice to see a Senator with a small shred of integrity.

:mitt: but GUILTY

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Good for him, but also:

Never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxrigger posted:

He's the only one so it doesn't matter