Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh I'm not knocking the goon. I would be wary of any seeming goodwill from Rogers, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

pre-pay though. Also half the price of anyone else

late stage capitalism and exponential year on year profit expectations won't allow it

Well, you can increase profits by increasing price or reducing costs. I assume a major cost for telcoms is customer service, so, there’s the profit margin for PM.

It also doesn’t help to increase prices forever when wages stagnate for forty years because that’s just blood from a stone at some point.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

tuyop posted:

Well, you can increase profits by increasing price or reducing costs. I assume a major cost for telcoms is customer service, so, there’s the profit margin for PM.

It also doesn’t help to increase prices forever when wages stagnate for forty years because that’s just blood from a stone at some point.

Service based businesses typically have a total personnel cost of 10-20% of total expenses.
It's more profitable to just add $5 to the monthly cost and see immediate gains in the tens of millions.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

Service based businesses typically have a total personnel cost of 10-20% of total expenses.
It's more profitable to just add $5 to the monthly cost and see immediate gains in the tens of millions.

That’s interesting, but there’s still going to be an intersection between the flat line of the [average income available for phone bill] and the linearly increasing line of required profits, right? Past that point, you’ll just be dropping customers because they can’t afford the never-ending bill hikes.

Or I guess what actually happens is people eat the increasing service costs and just gradually go into more debt until the whole house of cards collapses. :ohdear:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They can instead just keep unearthing more and more flanker brands. The only risk is delving too deep below "Lucky Mobile" and "Chatr" and risk waking a cellular balrog.

But surely', that would never happen.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Our phones will become unusable due to the 30+ calls we'll be getting an hour for duct cleaning and CRA scams before then anyway. Maybe if we appoint yet another Bellus board member to head the CRTC we'll finally get it sorted out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

shadow puppet of a posted:

They can instead just keep unearthing more and more flanker brands. The only risk is delving too deep below "Lucky Mobile" and "Chatr" and risk waking a cellular balrog.

But surely', that would never happen.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS

...along government subsidies to the end user

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I’m in the market for an iPad and have been contemplating a cellular model (yes I know I can tether, but I’m on the road a lot and it would be nice to have it onboard)

Anyway I’m on a Telus EPP plan and you think it would be a simple matter of adding the sim to the account and paying a nominal fee to have it on the plan. Nope! They’re not even able to tell me if it’s possible, let alone what it would cost. Several phone calls and two store visits and nobody can confirm. “Tablets don’t seem to be enabled for your employer” is the closest I’ve gotten to an answer.

Jesus guys, this is your one job - extracting marginal revenue from existing customers

They did suggest I could switch to a “Peace of Mind Connect” plan, but that only works if I buy a tablet through them :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lexicon posted:

I’m in the market for an iPad and have been contemplating a cellular model (yes I know I can tether, but I’m on the road a lot and it would be nice to have it onboard)

Anyway I’m on a Telus EPP plan and you think it would be a simple matter of adding the sim to the account and paying a nominal fee to have it on the plan. Nope! They’re not even able to tell me if it’s possible, let alone what it would cost. Several phone calls and two store visits and nobody can confirm. “Tablets don’t seem to be enabled for your employer” is the closest I’ve gotten to an answer.

Jesus guys, this is your one job - extracting marginal revenue from existing customers

They did suggest I could switch to a “Peace of Mind Connect” plan, but that only works if I buy a tablet through them :(

I dunno if they still offer this but we keep a sim in an iPad on a rogers plan that's 5ish a month for /10megs /if we basically don't use it, going up to $35 if we use 5 gigs.

Also even if you don't use data, the cellular iPads are great because of GPS.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I got the Koodo retention call for 20GB of data yesterday and my roommate got it today. That's... a lot of data.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

How does one go about getting such a call?

(I'm on the 10gb $42 plan w Koodo)

E: my list for data is insatiable.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I suspect that they look for people who've been

1) regularly paying on time
2) aren't close to hitting their current cap

That way it's basically free money for them if you end up paying an extra five bucks a month or whatever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is that why they keep loving calling me? Haven't answered once. I get the 50% warnings fairly often but close to the end of my cycles so I'm probably only ever hitting 60%.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bell has a new CEO. Unsurprisingly, he says that low wireless prices would be Really Bad for Canada.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/race-for-cheap-wireless-rates-would-be-really-bad-public-policy-bce-ceo-bibic-1.1369733

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Man who thought he was pulling a fast one gets caught:

https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5428591 posted:

A B.C. man who unknowingly went five years without paying his phone bill has been told he owes Telus more than $5,000.

Steve Wright, a music teacher from Sechelt, a community about 65 kilometres northwest of Vancouver, says he was stunned when the phone company notified him of the snafu last August.

"I had no reason to think anything was wrong," Wright said. "Someone had been paying my bills without either of our knowledge."

[...]

Telus says the problem came to light when a former customer contacted them in August, about withdrawals from their bank account which had continued for two years. 

The company says it investigated and, according to a statement, "learned this other individual's account had in fact been paying Mr. Wright's bills for five years, totalling $11,384.60." 

The former customer was reimbursed, Telus says, and Wright was told he would have to pay his last two years' worth of bills, which add up to $5,466.36.

I'd like to think it takes some malicious "how far can I take this" effort to rack up a 228/mo bill, but I suppose that could just be two somewhat expensive (from my 2x40 POV) lines.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Heh, went through something similar with my current apartment. Moved in and was told by the outgoing tenant that the power bill was included in the rent, which is what the previous tenant told her. A year plus later I'm vacationing in Scotland when my roommate contacts me and tells me the power has been turned off. After confirming it was only our apartment, I called the power company and they said no bills have been paid for a few years.

They wanted me to pay back bills from when I moved in, I don't remember how much but it had me seeing red. After some arguing I hung up. Called back a bit later, got a new person and told them I'd just moved in and needed to start service ASAP. No problem! It will be turned on tomorrow. First power bill was $17.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...awyer-1.5444598

Quelle Surprise Bell is running the same prison phone racket as you see down in the US.

quote:

You have to call someone on a landline. They have to be able to be there to accept the charges. And that person then can't forward you onto a cellphone ... or three-way call you onto a cellphone. So there's no way to even sort of get around the requirements that it has to be to a landline.

We're talking at least $1 a call for local calls, and up to $30 for a 20-minute long distance call. And because inmates are often transferred away from their support or away from where they live, we're looking at mostly long-distance calls, and sometimes phone bills that can reach thousands of dollars a month.

an exclusive contract with Bell and they provide a certain percentage of their profits back to the Ontario government.

less than three fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 30, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just went to the Rogers store to have my SIM converted to eSIM.

Dude literally didn't ask me for any ID, name, nothing, just asked for my phone number and sold me a $10 QR card. Didn't even check that the phone I had in my hand had the number I claimed to have.

Just the kind of quality service I can expect from Rogers. If your phone number gets jacked don't be surprised at ALL.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Just went to the Rogers store to have my SIM converted to eSIM.

Dude literally didn't ask me for any ID, name, nothing, just asked for my phone number and sold me a $10 QR card. Didn't even check that the phone I had in my hand had the number I claimed to have.

Just the kind of quality service I can expect from Rogers. If your phone number gets jacked don't be surprised at ALL.

You should no-bullshit call/email whoever takes suggestions for CBC's concealed camera exposes.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

You should no-bullshit call/email whoever takes suggestions for CBC's concealed camera exposes.

https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/m/contactus/

I did it once and got on TV.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Is there a way to “freeze” your account in such a way that there’s a higher standard for any operation like this? Because that’s scary.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Is there a way to “freeze” your account in such a way that there’s a higher standard for any operation like this? Because that’s scary.

Mandate call centers that handle personal and financial information to only operate in-country, under the same standards as banks, and pay the workers a livable wahahahaha... couldn't do it.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

Will and Brad on techpod were talking about this on the last episode, and you can do it in the states, I can't see why not up here.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/10/att-employees-helped-sim-swap-hackers-rob-man-of-1-8-million-lawsuit-says/

Even if you put a freeze, people will still take money and port your number to a new sim. Just don't ever use your phone number for 2FA.

All we can hope for is for banks to start supporting physical code generators like YubiKeys or Google's Titan.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
If anyone wants a Koodo pre-paid referral where we both get $10 credit and a free 1GB data booster feel free to use this code they gave me: 7WOV42. Might be nice if you're looking to get on to that $15/mo plan and don't use a lot of data, I don't know. Says limited time offer but I don't know how limited it is.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

My current contract with Bell is up on Friday and I was looking to upgrade my phone. I absolutely want to get off my ancient-rear end 65/mo unlimited talk/text but no data plan with 30/mo extra for 2 gigs of data. Their new plans seem good compared to that, even if I can already stick within my limit, but they have new phone payment stuff and I wanna make sure I have this right before I go in. I'm super wary of being upsold by the reps trying to push tablets or other junk on me.

Their "SmartPay" thing is basically just a loan you pay off over time, and subsidized phones are like the old contracts were where the balance just comes from the actual cost of the plan, correct?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Be...ll? 65 dollars..... no data? I pay 60 with koodo for 12 gigs. There is no reason anyone should ever be with Bell. Go with koodo, pick a tab and you just pay it off then it disappears off your bill once its paid.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Would you believe it's a loyalty plan? When I upgraded my phone last time I wanted to keep the same plan because I didn't trust them when they said they don't have that plan anymore.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I will believe absolutely anything negative you tell me about fourth reich communications

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

65 with no data sounds less like a loyalty plan, and more like an obedience plan.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tyty posted:

Their "SmartPay" thing is basically just a loan you pay off over time, and subsidized phones are like the old contracts were where the balance just comes from the actual cost of the plan, correct?

Yeah that's basically it, go with whichever suits your budget (though honestly it'll pretty much always be a better deal in the long run to buy the phone outright if you can).

Thanks for the throwback to an era where plans were even worse! :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I pay $75 for 20gb Infinite on Rogers so that's lol

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Apparently everyone had that plan on lately, even Bell and Telus.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Huh -- I'm at 75 for 10GB which is driving me bananas as I'm constantly maybe 2GB over and throttled by the end of the cycle. 20 shows at 85 for me. Did you get in on a deal?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Martytoof posted:

Huh -- I'm at 75 for 10GB which is driving me bananas as I'm constantly maybe 2GB over and throttled by the end of the cycle. 20 shows at 85 for me. Did you get in on a deal?

Yeah, it was a week ago? I think. Honestly it's still worth it at 85. That's a lot of full speed data.

e: https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/02/08/rogers-bell-75-dollars-20-gb-plan-february-2020/

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I got a 15 euro prepaid card in Holland for unlimited talking across the continent, a thousand sms or mms texts and like 8 gigs of data. And they didn't even require a credit check and 4 pieces of ID.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm not sure I understand. Is this an introductory rate and after you're on a 3 year plan at 60 euro? That's just now how things work.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Lexicon posted:

You can request your provider to put a porting lock on your account.

But the problem is that it's generally not checked since residential ports are effectively instant with the major providers having been forced to automate everything by the crtc.

Porting is done without confirmation by the losing party - the process assumes the initiating/receiving party is acting in good faith (hahaha). The loser eventually can object (ie: if there's a lock, or billing issue), and effectively port back the number at that point, but you'll have lost your number in the meantime. There is a mechanism to truly lock a number at the porting agency (the one that coordinates telco routing - I forget it's name), but that's rarely used as it's a manual process.

Sounds hosed? It is - fun thing is that there's companies who's business is truly just watch that routing database and if it sees a number change, it immediately changes it back (also do things like call center failovers, etc).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Man that really makes my $45/16gb thru Koodo look like the sweetest of sweetheart deals now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

MA-Horus posted:

Man that really makes my $45/16gb thru Koodo look like the sweetest of sweetheart deals now.

Obviously it is. That's not a normal deal.