Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gambit and Rogue name their future daughter Irene. Ick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Dawgstar posted:

FF/X-Men was pretty entertaining, even if I'm kinda cooled on Dodson's pencils. Loved it having at least one callback to the '87 miniseries which was really good but nobody talks about anymore.

I liked it and I thought the art was generally fine.

Generally.

Marauders was good too, thanks for the history lesson upthread.

Love that cat.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 5, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

danbanana posted:

I was wracking my brain about "callisto being a model" and when that was so thanks for the trip down memory lane. Another reminder of how loving weird uncanny was between issue 250 and claremont leaving. 30 issues of the best selling comic in the world where the team doesn't actually appear in like 28 of those issues.

If I remember right, part of her origin was that she was attractive then got into an accident and realized that the world loving sucks when you're not pretty. I believe it was her motivation for joining (co-founding?) the morlocks.

Huh, I missed that one, but given the length and breadth of X-Men continuity, I'm not sure anyone has a hold of all of it, except maybe Paul O'Brien over at House to Astonish (formerly of X-Axis). Speaking of whom, O'Brien's been doing issue by issue annotations of the new X-run starting with House and Power, which are really good for catching little details that are easy to miss.

Aphrodite posted:

Gambit and Rogue name their future daughter Irene. Ick.

It's to honor Destiny, who was one of Rogue's two moms growing up. Destiny's real name was Irene Adler. Well, since that's also the name of a famous Sherlock Holmes character, I doubt it was her actual birth name, but it was her "civilian" ID, anyway.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

jng2058 posted:

Huh, I missed that one, but given the length and breadth of X-Men continuity, I'm not sure anyone has a hold of all of it, except maybe Paul O'Brien over at House to Astonish (formerly of X-Axis). Speaking of whom, O'Brien's been doing issue by issue annotations of the new X-run starting with House and Power, which are really good for catching little details that are easy to miss.

Shame on you for forgetting Jay & Miles! :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Shame on you for forgetting Jay & Miles! :colbert:

I dunno, they've been working their ways forwards in time from the '60s issues and are only up to 1995 or so. Considering how often they admit to "I had completely forgotten that <character, situation, weird rear end goofiness> until I re-read it for the show," I'd say that O'Brien's got 'em beat over the whole of X-Men history, at least until Jay & Miles catches up to the present day. Which is several years away at the current pace, I figure.

Would be awesome to get them in a head to head X-Men trivia off, come to think of it.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Have they resurrected Destiny?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cocks Cable posted:

Not yet, and that's a plot point. Mystique's been pushing hard to get Destiny back, but Xavier's been putting her off because of fears about the whole Moira-Destiny thing from Moira's third life.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cocks Cable posted:

I'm pretty sure that would be an on-page thing, since Moira made a big loving deal about it at the end of HoX. So... no.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wonder how Xavier spins that.

"Sorry Mystique, but Destiny is way in the back of the line. We have to resurrect the more important mutants like, uh... Wallflower first."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Where's that mutant whose mutant power is nobody except Xavier remembers him ever so he goes through life basically not existing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's been in every issue of X-Men.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah uncanny 250-282 or whatever is really weird. Everyone is split up and the stuff with callisto is its own mini arc where masque was doing some real hosed up poo poo in the tunnels.

Really liked ff/x, was kitty's injury they reference the one from massacre? Where she was slowly phasing away?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Ah that's sad to hear. Even though Mystique is often a rat bastard of a villain, the thought of her finally reunited with Destiny after like 3 decades really tugs at my heart strings.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cocks Cable posted:

Ah that's sad to hear. Even though Mystique is often a rat bastard of a villain, the thought of her finally reunited with Destiny after like 3 decades really tugs at my heart strings.

You got some of that in HoX #2...

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Really liked ff/x, was kitty's injury they reference the one from massacre? Where she was slowly phasing away?
I haven't read the new issue, but in the original miniseries Kitty is injured and slowly phasing away from Mutant Massacre, correct. Reed can't help due to FF drama, Doom tries to help. Kitty is about to commit suicide by letting her molecules drift apart when Franklin convinces her not to, and instead gets his dad to work with Doom to heal her.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gologle posted:

Where's that mutant whose mutant power is nobody except Xavier remembers him ever so he goes through life basically not existing?

Oh poo poo that was real? I swear I remembered reading this forever ago but I’ve never been able to find it again. I... forgot :negative:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh poo poo that was real? I swear I remembered reading this forever ago but I’ve never been able to find it again. I... forgot :negative:

his name is ForgetMeNot (sic)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fritzler posted:

I haven't read the new issue, but in the original miniseries Kitty is injured and slowly phasing away from Mutant Massacre, correct. Reed can't help due to FF drama, Doom tries to help. Kitty is about to commit suicide by letting her molecules drift apart when Franklin convinces her not to, and instead gets his dad to work with Doom to heal her.

There's also a journal that's discovered that makes it look like Reed wanted to bombard his family with cosmic rays on the shuttle flight. The series is a really, really good read.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Here's my Dumb Prediction/Lukewarm Take: the government figure/analyst writing the briefings in Marauders is Gyrich.

Think about it: the mutants finally decided to start playing the game and you need a subject matter expert right now? He's the guy you call.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Valerie Cooper makes more sense since she's more of a mutant expert/analyst than just a generic Superhuman bureaucrat; Gyrich spent a lot of his time overseeing the Avengers of various stripes.

I suppose a lot of it will be the story they want to tell, Cooper has been (generally) seen as a level-headed person who wants to play ball with mutants and afford them dignity/freedom/etc.

Gyrich started off as just a bureaucrat who was kind of an rear end in a top hat/stickler, but in the past twenty years has repeatedly been a bureaucrat who secretly works with fascists and literal Nazi scientists and death robots and evil alien empires but then usually somehow gets crammed back into the "he's just a jerk who is doing what he thinks is right indelicately" in alternating stories.

Regardless, the memos seem awfully casual for Gyrich missives. My leftfield guess, since Marauders is pretty Kate-Pryde-focused, is that it'll be Stevie Hunter, since the last time we saw her she was involved in politics as a sitting Congresswoman.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 6, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Here's my Dumb Prediction/Lukewarm Take: the government figure/analyst writing the briefings in Marauders is Gyrich.

Think about it: the mutants finally decided to start playing the game and you need a subject matter expert right now? He's the guy you call.

They seem to be ignoring this poor guy, though. I expect that Gyrich, if he's involved at all, is working with the real covert response team being setup that this guy doesn't know about.

Likewise Cooper has contacts among the mutants and would be much more involved, and more likely to go off the reservation than report-writing guy seems to.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

jng2058 posted:

They seem to be ignoring this poor guy, though. I expect that Gyrich, if he's involved at all, is working with the real covert response team being setup that this guy doesn't know about.

Likewise Cooper has contacts among the mutants and would be much more involved, and more likely to go off the reservation than report-writing guy seems to.

Val Cooper would almost certainly never be assigned to any sort of Mutant Analysis Desk, because Val has worked closely with mutants in the past and would almost certainly be considered 'compromised'

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I never considered that the X-Desk person might be a 'reveal' prior to this conversation, so I went back and looked at all of the memos that have appeared so far.

If the X-Desk is in fact an established character it will probably be one from even more left field than the guesses we've made, especially because based on last issue it's someone that Kate Pryde wouldn't even know:

quote:

Katherine Pryde, we met briefly once in Washington DC. You likely won't remember me, and I'm afraid I can't tell you my name, but I hope you'll believe what I am about to write, because it's true.
Now granted, this was a government official sending a whistleblower type warning to Pryde on a burner phone, so unreliable narrator and all, but also if they're earnestly warning Kate that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Anyway, the biographical details that have come through in the memos are:

1) The X-Desk was living in New York City at the time of Morrison's New X-Men run "a few years ago", was aware of Jumbo Carnation's death via local media/culture.
2) The X-Desk has a sister who gave Kraokan medicine to their ailing mother.
3) The X-Desk is monitoring mutants but doesn't seem to have any ill will towards them, when they come across intel on the Hellfire Club they recommend "we immediately reach out to friendly Krakoans and alert them to the likelihood that a mass casualty event is being planned" and they have some sort of friendly contact with mutants ("If need be, I know someone who knows someone.")
4) They have "an old friend in the DEA".

None of these are particularly unique, but it would seemingly at least rule out someone like Gyrich (no living relatives, can't see him keeping up with the NYC clubbing/fashion scene) or Stevie Hunter (or anyone else who is a personal friend to Kate).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'll lose my poo poo if it's one of the two FBI nobodies from the 2002 X-Factor miniseries that I had no idea existed until this thread pointed it out. It absolutely won't be but still.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

New left-field (not as far left-field as those X-Factor FBI agents) guess: Everett Ross.

1) He was living in Brooklyn for most of the Priest Black Panther series which ran concurrently to Morrison's X-Men
2) He "knows people" (specifically T'Challa) who could get him in touch with Krakoans, but doesn't really know that many mutants, and probably hasn't spent much/any time with Kate Pryde
3) We don't know anything about his family so the mother/sister isn't contradicting anything
4) The sort of "hey I'm stuck at an underfunded desk is anyone paying attention to me?" schtick fits him better than any of the other established characters postulated

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

New left-field (not as far left-field as those X-Factor FBI agents) guess: Everett Ross.

1) He was living in Brooklyn for most of the Priest Black Panther series which ran concurrently to Morrison's X-Men
2) He "knows people" (specifically T'Challa) who could get him in touch with Krakoans, but doesn't really know that many mutants, and probably hasn't spent much/any time with Kate Pryde
3) We don't know anything about his family so the mother/sister isn't contradicting anything
4) The sort of "hey I'm stuck at an underfunded desk is anyone paying attention to me?" schtick fits him better than any of the other established characters postulated

Plus people's awareness of him is increased since Black Panther. Hmmm. Without doing a deep dive to make sure he isn't still in Wakanda or dead or turned into a cyborg or something (though I guess even a cyborg Ross behind a desk filing reports no one reads would still fit the character), I'd buy that. Assuming it really is an established character at all, of course, but if it is, I like your guess best.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I started reading the original X-Force last night and the art was just painful. I don't get why Liefeld was so idolized. Is there a good history of that period?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Oh, Ross is a good call. I'm switching my lukewarm take to the hotter take.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Beerdeer posted:

I started reading the original X-Force last night and the art was just painful. I don't get why Liefeld was so idolized. Is there a good history of that period?

Jim Rugg and Ed "X-Men Grand Design" Piskor have a YouTube channel called Cartoonist Kayfabe that started as a way to go through Wizard Magazine issues, starting with Number 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

It's my favorite comics-related internet thing to listen to, as they're covering poo poo that they read as like 8 and 10 year olds like I was around then. But there's a lot of pro-Image guys homerism that's fun, and a lot of background on just what was happening at the time in mainstream comics. Also some great breakdowns of the indie poo poo that was happening via their Palmer's Picks reviews.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fantomex is starring in an upcoming issue of Giant Size with Rod Reis on art. He’s once again breaking into The World.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Fantomex is starring in an upcoming issue of Giant Size with Rod Reis on art. He’s once again breaking into The World.

He hasn't shown up in Krakoa, right? Wonder if they'll explain the body swap with Xavier

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

doesnt need to, xavier already went and got himself killed and has a new body.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Beerdeer posted:

I just hit it in a re-read of TNM and it’s still SUCH a leap over the quality of art in that book and other contempt titles like X-Factor. It’s like things go from budget 1982 to the Nineties in one issue. It’s messy and goony but I still love it. You kind of had to be there the first time around - it felt so MODERN.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Early Liefeld had this crazy stylized charm to it. At the time, Marvel and DC both had very specific house styles, with characters drawn very strictly to model sheets, that made guys like Liefeld and McFarlane really stand out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

He hasn't shown up in Krakoa, right? Wonder if they'll explain the body swap with Xavier

Probably. He isn’t even really a mutant.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Fantomex/X stuff was dropped with extreme prejudice immediately upon Rosenberg taking over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Early Liefeld had this crazy stylized charm to it. At the time, Marvel and DC both had very specific house styles, with characters drawn very strictly to model sheets, that made guys like Liefeld and McFarlane really stand out.

Ehh, you had Frank Miller doing Daredevil, Sceinkawitz on New Mutants, Walt Simonson on Thor before Lee and Liefeld, so I don't think you can say Marvel has a very specific house style in the 80s. I don't know as much about DC, but you had similar stuff with the books that would eventually become Vertigo.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, you had Frank Miller doing Daredevil, Sceinkawitz on New Mutants, Walt Simonson on Thor before Lee and Liefeld, so I don't think you can say Marvel has a very specific house style in the 80s. I don't know as much about DC, but you had similar stuff with the books that would eventually become Vertigo.

Yeah the idea that the Image guys were somehow bucking a house style is some revisionist stuff. JRJR was refining his style on DD with Nocenti. Simonson was on FF. Silvestri certainly didn't fit any conventional style. Art Adams was doing regular books. Even Blevins- who preceded Liefeld on NM- had a cartoony feel to him.

DC certainly felt more traditional at the time, with Jurgens and Aparo and Perez. But you also had early Adam Hughes and Bart Sears doing Justice League work that sold well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as soon as the five grew a new body for him there was no particular reason for xavier to keep occupying fantomex. whether it was really xavier or if he had gone evil yet again is all irrelevant now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
In that case, assuming they didn't scrap the part where he's stuck in the psychic realm (which they probably did), if they did just grow Fantomex a new body and uploaded his most recent consciousness in Cerebro, does that mean there could be two of him? I doubt they'd cover this in X-Factor but it's interesting to think about