Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

Yes but no. Party loyalty regardless of facts are the problem here.

Fake edit: "Party Loyalty" brings to mind Soviet Russia and I got a bit of an uneasy chill at the thought.

Agreed, but there's an even further root cause: lovely, lovely, lovely people.

Beach Bum posted:

More like "nothing is impeachable if you hold Senate majority"
If he didn't, why would he have complied with the subpoenas in that case, either?

I mean, yes, it helps, but he obstructed justice in the House, why wouldn't he just do it in the Senate, too?

You could take that a step further and say the Supreme Court - in theory, the Court could have ordered him to comply, but ... why would he listen there, either?

It's the way the system worked for ~240 years, but it's just been proven a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Thomas Jefferson posted:

And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Krakkles posted:

I mean, yes, it helps, but he obstructed justice in the House, why wouldn't he just do it in the Senate, too?

You could take that a step further and say the Supreme Court - in theory, the Court could have ordered him to comply, but ... why would he listen there, either?

It's the way the system worked for ~240 years, but it's just been proven a lie.

If he'd not had the Senate to acquit, they might have impeached on obstruction if he didn't comply with subpoena.

The Door Frame posted:

Ol' TJ on liberty

Yeah :smith:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 5, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Holy gently caress is this dude even REAL?!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1225174713992990721?s=20

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way but uh it really looks like he's saying he wants to run for more than two?! Or am I missing some in-joke due to ignorance?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 5, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Too bad all the ~*Tree of Liberty*~ folk only ever seem to want to water it with democrat blood (when illegitimate tyrants like Obama force people to have health coverage, for instance)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

[Jefferson quote]

We will never see a second American Revelution because 99.9% of Americans left of Wayne Lambert are afraid of being within 100 feet of anything more energetic than a Q-tip (unless it has four wheels).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Beach Bum posted:

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way but uh it really looks like he's saying he wants to run for more than two?! Or am I missing some in-joke due to ignorance?

He's joked about doing more than two terms in a bunch of stump speeches.

God I hope Bernie or whoever just walks his stupid fat loving rear end in the general, maybe with that and if there's a blue majority in the Senate again we can make some loving progress in this country again.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

We will never see a second American Revelution because 99.9% of Americans left of Wayne Lambert are afraid of being within 100 feet of anything more energetic than a Q-tip (unless it has four wheels).
No, we’re not, but that is a popular talking point along with “they took our jobs” and “bootstraps, my dear boy”, in certain circles.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Beach Bum posted:

It's talking about Trumpism, not Donald. Not even DJT is that stupid.

And the house supoenas had no power because they didn't vote to start an investigation until after they were "issued" and when Trump pointed that out the house rolled over. This whole thing is partisan bullshit from the start. Asking a foreign government to investigate corruption in their country as it relates to our country is the president's job. He gets a loving thank you from me. And that goes for either party, not just because it's Trump.

I would have to see Biden under oath explain how his kid got on the Burisma board in the first place, and how Schiff got to be paranoid about me whisterblowers name when he supposedly doesn't know who the whistleblower is, and how Schiff neglected to turn over the transcript for the last witness, but putting this bullshit behind us will work too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ilkhan posted:

And the house supoenas had no power because they didn't vote to start an investigation until after they were "issued" and when Trump pointed that out the house rolled over. This whole thing is partisan bullshit from the start. Asking a foreign government to investigate corruption in their country as it relates to our country is the president's job. He gets a loving thank you from me. And that goes for either party, not just because it's Trump.

I would have to see Biden under oath explain how his kid got on the Burisma board in the first place, and how Schiff got to be paranoid about me whisterblowers name when he supposedly doesn't know who the whistleblower is, and how Schiff neglected to turn over the transcript for the last witness, but putting this bullshit behind us will work too.

drat, you suck right on the pipe.

A) Asking a foreign government to investigate a US Citizen is against our protocols.

Asub1) When that US Citizen is a political competitor of yours, it is doubly bad.

B) Ukraine has been corrupt since before it's break from the USSR. To say that the Bidens are even a minute FRACTION of the Ukranian corruption is laughable. They are not. And Trump has not shown one iota of interest in any other corruption in Ukraine.

C) If Biden is dirty, burn him. If Schiff is dirty, burn him. Burn all of the motherfuckers and clean the place up. There is this default whataboutism justification that needs to die. The political actions are right or wrong, and they need to be dealt with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you're asking a foreign government to investigate an american citizen for corruption you do it through the DOJ

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

drat, you suck right on the pipe.

A) Asking a foreign government to investigate a US Citizen is against our protocols.

Asub1) When that US Citizen is a political competitor of yours, it is doubly bad.

B) Ukraine has been corrupt since before it's break from the USSR. To say that the Bidens are even a minute FRACTION of the Ukranian corruption is laughable. They are not. And Trump has not shown one iota of interest in any other corruption in Ukraine.

C) If Biden is dirty, burn him. If Schiff is dirty, burn him. Burn all of the motherfuckers and clean the place up. There is this default whataboutism justification that needs to die. The political actions are right or wrong, and they need to be dealt with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're asking a foreign government to investigate an american citizen for corruption you do it through the DOJ
He was asking them to investigate their prosecutor that caved to Biden's threats. Not Biden himself.

B) Trump has been talking about corruption in Ukraine, including Burisma, since long before Biden's running became an issue.

C) Agreed on burn all the corrupt mofos. But going after Trump for this is partisan bullshit. Dems have been trying to find something to impeach him on since before the inauguration. An *this* is the strongest case they could come up with? Admit you lost and try to do better in 2024, cause this crybaby level partisan theatrics are gonna sweep him right back into office in November.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You can't be for fuckin' real right now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ilkhan posted:

This is complete Fox News quoting bullshit. There is no truth in any of it.

You're either a bad troll or really dumb.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Why are you all engaging the Known Moron and Holder of Insane Opinions? Put his rear end on ignore and move on with your day.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm actively avoiding FaceBook right now. I have no desire to know exactly how much of the Kool Aid some of my friends and family have swallowed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrChips posted:

Why are you all engaging the Known Moron and Holder of Insane Opinions? Put his rear end on ignore and move on with your day.
This. Don't forget "bootlicker", though.

Darchangel posted:

I'm actively avoiding FaceBook right now. I have no desire to know exactly how much of the Kool Aid some of my friends and family have swallowed.
I literally just got an account to sell things on Marketplace, and several family members, including my dad, added me. Despite the fact that he's been professing to me that he doesn't really like 46-1, and avoiding committing to whether or not he actually voted for him, he posted that dumb poo poo about how he's the president that god chose.

Your religion can eat a dick if that's an official position.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Emphasis above mine as I find this take fascinating - a world view that somehow a 3rd world former USSR country is an appropriate party to investigate purported corruption on the behalf of the United States which, in spite of its problems, objectively is still a bastion of judicial due process relative to most of the planet and that somehow the Ukraine is a preferable outlet?

I read this op-ed recently and it makes some interesting points.

“People are hardwired to dismiss facts that don’t fit their worldview” posted:

Unwelcome information can also threaten in other ways. “System justification” theorists like psychologist John Jost have shown how situations that represent a threat to established systems trigger inflexible thinking and a desire for closure. For example, as Jost and colleagues extensively review, populations experiencing economic distress or external threat have often turned to authoritarian, hierarchicalist leaders promising security and stability.

Another reminder that the internet gives voice and reach to a lot of bad ideas.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, actually, article 2 says that when the president does it, it's not illegal. No one ever talks about article 2, but that's exactly what it says. Obama was just too stupid to use his absolute power
:suicide101:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

“People are hardwired to dismiss facts that don’t fit their worldview”

Goes right along with

meatpimp posted:

I think there's a large group of people that truly believe that they know, instead of doing intellectual analysis and viewing/processing evidence.

The more you know, the more you realize that you don't know. Unfortunately, a lot of people's thought process atrophies before they get to understand that concept.

You must constantly challenge your views and be ready to change your views when you find evidence to show that you are wrong.

I've changed views on many topics over the years, and I steadfastly believe in my views now, but by god, I'm open to change, because I'm the last person that I'd say is always right.

ilkhan posted:

He was asking them to investigate their prosecutor that caved to Biden's threats. Not Biden himself.

That's literally NOT loving TRUE.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Every word you wrote is complete bullshit stolen directly from Faux News and you know it. Big Daddy Trump isnt going to fondle your balls if you lick his boots

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

he posted that dumb poo poo about how he's the president that god chose.

Your religion can eat a dick if that's an official position.

Why would God pick someone who clearly doesn’t believe in Him or anything that God has said was important to Him?
That’s one of the bits I can’t fathom: how supposed Christians, Catholics in the case of my parents and a lot of my family, can support one of the most un-Christian Presidents in history is beyond my ken.

meatpimp posted:

You must constantly challenge your views and be ready to change your views when you find evidence to show that you are wrong.

I've changed views on many topics over the years, and I steadfastly believe in my views now, but by god, I'm open to change, because I'm the last person that I'd say is always right.

This, so much this. I’ve been wrong so many times over the years that I have no illusions about the absolute rectitude or my views. Even science comes up with new facts that require changing how we understand the basics of the universe...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Why would God pick someone who clearly doesn’t believe in Him or anything that God has said was important to Him?
That’s one of the bits I can’t fathom: how supposed Christians, Catholics in the case of my parents and a lot of my family, can support one of the most un-Christian Presidents in history is beyond my ken.

I make no secret of my religious views and believe me, I share your utter confusion on this. How. HOW the gently caress can anyone with even a passing glance glance at a Bible even contemplate supporting this utterly depraved fuckwit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

evangelicals are deeply incurious about understand the bible and very interested in using it as a crutch to support some existing worldviews

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Agreed. I've gotten in arguments on these very boards about topics on which I now have entirely different beliefs - but if anything, those arguments were part of shaping that evolving world view. As you said, challenge your views, and accept clear evidence.

Darchangel posted:

Agreed. The argument presented there (which is stupid) seemed to be that "some listed variety of biblical figures were imperfect (adulterers, thieves, whatever ... oddly, it sounded like a list of the variety of things that Trump has clearly been proven to have done) so don't question G O D, ok?".

Meanwhile Obama is the anti-christ. But not because he's brown. No, it's because of ... reasons.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm always interested in hearing what you say. You (collectively) have changed my thinking in some ways and reinforced it in others. Not that any of you commies have any interest in hearing from the other side.

And I remind you all, yet again, I did not vote for Trump in 2016.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

The ends justify the means. As long as he keeps packing the courts with activist judges and demonizing brown/poor people he has their unwavering support.

-or-

They never actually gave a poo poo about their "sincerely held religious beliefs" and it's all been a scam to advance their political agenda.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

ilkhan posted:

I'm always interested in hearing what you say. You (collectively) have changed my thinking in some ways and reinforced it in others. Not that any of you commies have any interest in hearing from the other side.

Don't you impune the good name of communism, Trumpism is just neoliberal Stalinism :ussr:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Trump isn't a David or Solomon, flawed but godly. He's a Pharaoh. Utterly depraved and in contempt and opposition to god, but god is using him for glory! The best part is that Trump is too dumb to know that's what they mean. He should be pretty insulted.

I like how even when Pharaoh was defeated and submitted, god "hardened his heart" and MADE him torture the Jews some more, so that he could get even MORE plagues and poo poo dumped on him. It's Paul's sarcastic new testament comment about sinning more so that grace may abound, only not sarcastic.

ilkhan posted:

Not that any of you commies have any interest in hearing from the other side.

You gotta say something we haven't heard and debunked 40 times prior is the problem. I'm always open to a new point of view as well.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 6, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Not that any of you commies have any interest in hearing from the other side.

You mean the other side that peddles absolute crap that has been completely debunked as the the bullshit it is?

We are under no obligation to listen or entertain conservative nonsense.

quote:

When you spew out literal GOP / Faux News lies, the reply has to be "We dont believe you" as your credibility is shot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i certainly understand a bunch of conservative points of view, but i don't get how Trump is actually delivering on anything that my conservative friends want.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i certainly understand a bunch of conservative points of view, but i don't get how Trump is actually delivering on anything that my conservative friends want.

I've asked some hardline partisans I know about which tenants of conservativism he follows, and it basically comes down to appointing judges who don't like Roe V Wade and his complete lack of a filter. Everything else has been hand waved or deflected into endless what-aboutisms.

I may joke a lot about communism, and his ties to Russia were so suspicious that our famously conservative intelligence agencies had to double check that he wasn't a foreign asset, but this poo poo is just neoliberal Stalinism. The only saving grace is that the Trump purges were bloodless

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Agreed. I've gotten in arguments on these very boards about topics on which I now have entirely different beliefs - but if anything, those arguments were part of shaping that evolving world view. As you said, challenge your views, and accept clear evidence.
Agreed. The argument presented there (which is stupid) seemed to be that "some listed variety of biblical figures were imperfect (adulterers, thieves, whatever ... oddly, it sounded like a list of the variety of things that Trump has clearly been proven to have done) so don't question G O D, ok?".

Meanwhile Obama is the anti-christ. But not because he's brown. No, it's because of ... reasons.

:ssh: Jesus was an Arabic Jew.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just remember that if Trump did get booted out of office... we'd wind up with Pence.

(that's my slightly political post for the year)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

STR posted:

Just remember that if Trump did get booted out of office... we'd wind up with Pence.

Which is bad too, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be doing everything we can to get rid of all of them, at whatever pace we can.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

STR posted:

I'm having a hard time seeing how that could possibly be any worse.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Update to my post from yesterday, Romeo is now named Juliet, because she's a girl, and she's already socializing with the other cat in the house!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Update to my post from yesterday, Romeo is now named Juliet, because she's a girl, and she's already socializing with the other cat in the house!

Classic :3:. At least something good is happening today.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

Certainly would be if you are a horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

Nearly as evil (after all, willing to hitch his wagon to Trump) but with some semblance of actual political ability beyond sharpies?