Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

VTES post incoming.

Black Chantry announced last year that the fifth edition of the game was in development and it's expected to be released at some point in Q2-Q3 this year. This new editions is going to consist in a box with preconstructed decks and all the necessary items to play. The theme will be Camarilla vs Anarchs and will follow the V5 plotline and it will include new cards, especially for the Anarchs. Testing has been going on for a while and spoiler season will commence soon. Really looking forward for the new anarch cards, they need more love.

In other news, Black Chantry has launched a new singles print-on-demand service with Drivethrucards. Basically they will slowly make old cards available on Drivethrucards, for now only Assamites are available, each single is 0,35$ and minimum 10 cards per order. This is pretty neat, letting you buy old cards on demand without going through the secondary market is huge, especially for new players.

Not bad for a twenty-five year old dead game.

So will the old cards be compatible with new stuff or is it gonna be an all new things as far as what's legal? Either way I'm here for it, I'd just like to have a use for all my old cards other than nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

TheKingslayer posted:

So will the old cards be compatible with new stuff or is it gonna be an all new things as far as what's legal? Either way I'm here for it, I'd just like to have a use for all my old cards other than nostalgia.

All the old expansions are legal for play (even the printable expansions), except for the individual cards in the banned list, so you will be able to mix the new cards with your old ones.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh I didn't know there was a ban list still.

*skims ban list*

Yep that all makes complete sense too.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Desiden posted:

I have no idea how they could do this in the format of a stream, but it'd be great if they could do something that lets Alex Ward show off his physical acting more. He's fine as Jasper in terms of dialogue, but I saw a video recently of how he comes up with the movement of his creature character acting and dude has some amazing talent.

https://youtu.be/O_wAatC8ulE

https://youtu.be/vATvIzHhKrQ

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

TheKingslayer posted:

Oh I didn't know there was a ban list still.

*skims ban list*

Yep that all makes complete sense too.

Welp, I'm really glad memoires of mortality is banned because it would make the emerald legionaires decks even more busted.

Also, for your information, there was a couple nerfs some months ago to the following cards: Una, Ankara Citadel, Pentex Subversion and Parity Shift.

More info here: https://t.co/55G60T9lsi?amp=1

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
This is complete non-sequitor and I apologize, but with the booming fad business of selling bougie dice to gamers for other role playing games, I'm shocked that there doesn't seem to be any bougie dice specific to WoD.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There were "official dice," but now they're annoyingly expensive ebay sets.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dienes posted:

This is complete non-sequitor and I apologize, but with the booming fad business of selling bougie dice to gamers for other role playing games, I'm shocked that there doesn't seem to be any bougie dice specific to WoD.

Yeah, each of the core Nwod sets had a bespoke dice thing for them along their initial run. But those have been out of print for over a decade now.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, each of the core Nwod sets had a bespoke dice thing for them along their initial run. But those have been out of print for over a decade now.

I actually own two sets of these. A standard NWOD gray/blue set and a marbled green Changeling set.

V5 dice are readily available on Amazon if you want them. I got a set for Xmas because I didn't want to spend $20 on dice.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

For anyone curious about how Hunter 2e was going to handle it, Ashwood Abbey is not a fully-developed, canon conspiracy or compact. It is apparently going to be the sample create-a-group for that chapter later in the book. Which is okay I guess.

Also: once again they fail to reference Frailty, possibly one of the best Hunter mood movies, in the recommended media. But they do mention Session 9, which is an obscure enough pull that I have to give them some credit.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Foglet posted:

Hunter: The Vigil 2e KS is on.

Finally, a new CofD 2e corebook where Chapter One isn't just a set of character splat splashes.

Edit: I'm sorry? There's a casual handwave of metaplot to get rid of old compacts? Why?

Hunter: the Vigil Second Edition Manuscript Preview posted:

The Bear Lodge is another group that shows how murky a compact’s history can be. Some archivists speculate its founders may be related to members of Les Voyageurs who learned to hunt werewolves after the official group disbanded in the early 18th century. Though the Bear Lodge has since collapsed in modern times, active hunters have continued to uphold the Vigil by joining other compacts like Ashwood Abbey. Those hunters remember what the Bear Lodge was like when it existed, and unless a hunter historian is willing to find and interview surviving members, what they remember will eventually fade.
Unfortunately, the modern era and uneven support from ruling bodies has caused many specialized hunter organizations to rise, fall, or be subsumed into other organizations. In American politics, several government-sanctioned groups have been absorbed, disbanded, or reorganized. Both the vampire-centric Barrett Commission and the witch-focused Division Six have been dissolved and active members were reassigned to Task Force: VALKYRIE. The Merrick Institute, on the other hand, was not able to survive a private congressional inquiry, and its activities were immediately halted. All that remains on the books is Task Force: VALKYRIE, and only time will tell if TFV falls apart or expands to include other allied government forces.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 6, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

moths posted:

There were "official dice," but now they're annoyingly expensive ebay sets.

I have a set of the official mage dice, and they're really nice because the successes are highlighted in a different color.

That said:

Dienes posted:

1. Buy fancy D10s from somebody like Chessex
2. Buy a gold sharpie
3. Sharpie over the 8, 9, and 0
4. Sell on Etsy for 200% markup

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Also: once again they fail to reference Frailty, possibly one of the best Hunter mood movies, in the recommended media. But they do mention Session 9, which is an obscure enough pull that I have to give them some credit.

They do mention it in Hunter: the Vigil, do they not? I read it a little while ago and could swear it was in there.

Speaking of, I'm running a mortal campaign with some friends, taking down a cult that wants to summon a god, you know the deal. Id like to slowly introduce hunters in the world, but I'm not quite sure how. This is the first World of Darkness game over ever run, or even played at all.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Holding out for Hunter The Reckoning 20.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Morpheus posted:

They do mention it in Hunter: the Vigil, do they not? I read it a little while ago and could swear it was in there.

Speaking of, I'm running a mortal campaign with some friends, taking down a cult that wants to summon a god, you know the deal. Id like to slowly introduce hunters in the world, but I'm not quite sure how. This is the first World of Darkness game over ever run, or even played at all.

Well if they're taking down a cult, a hunter group would probably be aware of said cult as well.

If your players come up with some plan to attack the cult, well isn't that interesting, another group showed up packing serious heat and seems to focused on taking down this cult too.

Or just have an NPC Hunter who maybe isn't sure if this group is ready to take up The Vigil but still sees they're on the right path.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Arguably, by taking on the job of destroying an evil cult themselves the PCs will *be* Hunters by the end of the arc. Especially if they've decided to devote more time to taking down other threats.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

Finally, a new CofD 2e corebook where Chapter One isn't just a set of character splat splashes.

Edit: I'm sorry? There's a casual handwave of metaplot to get rid of old compacts? Why?

Because it's a nod to how the world changes? These are mostly mortal compacts that are getting absorbed it looks like. Which makes sense? People change all the time, and their groups and important communities change with it. I don't see too many people going to Lodge meetings on a regular basis anymore, it stands to reason these groups fall in and out of favor too.

Granted, they put them all in the conspiracy that I find least interesting with TFV, but whatchagondo?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Frailty is a good movie but it is way way more Reckoning then Vigil so I can understand why they would leave it off the list of inspirations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

joylessdivision posted:

Well if they're taking down a cult, a hunter group would probably be aware of said cult as well.

If your players come up with some plan to attack the cult, well isn't that interesting, another group showed up packing serious heat and seems to focused on taking down this cult too.

Or just have an NPC Hunter who maybe isn't sure if this group is ready to take up The Vigil but still sees they're on the right path.

In the first scenario, the characters stumbled upon a failed cult attempt to open a portal - a hunter compact had attacked them, but the four members of it were destroyed in the process.

Now that I think about it, I could sort of have the players learn about the compact and the people that were in it, inheriting the mantle as the campaign progresses. Right now they're still in the confused state of 'wtf is happening' but the plan is definitely to have them be full fledged hunters by the end of it

Edit: I could certainly introduce an NPC hunter later to guide them along the way though, that's a good idea

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 6, 2020

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Morpheus posted:

In the first scenario, the characters stumbled upon a failed cult attempt to open a portal - a hunter compact had attacked them, but the four members of it were destroyed in the process.

Now that I think about it, I could sort of have the players learn about the compact and the people that were in it, inheriting the mantle as the campaign progresses. Right now they're still in the confused state of 'wtf is happening' but the plan is definitely to have them be full fledged hunters by the end of it

Edit: I could certainly introduce an NPC hunter later to guide them along the way though, that's a good idea
Depending on how you want them to get into it, you could either have an actual-NPC Hunter they interact with, or have them find stray mentions of Network Zero (or like, a poster on forums when they start doing internet searches about this cult), and from there slowly learn about the wider world of weird poo poo and the people what investigate it.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Dienes posted:

The thought of physically rolling dice when roll20 exists chills me to the bone

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

im glad the beast compact is gone. but the barret commision pretty explicitly wasn't the black ops paramilitary organization tfv is and i'm not sure it was actually recognized by the government, division six was explicitly a seer's catspaw disguised as a government agency, and why would the flyover country rednecks join the private school kid abbey? lame, looks like they just wanted to get rid of a bunch of monster-specific compacts rather than write new rules for them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also no more playable Ashwood Abbey I think, so that's nice.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dawgstar posted:

Also no more playable Ashwood Abbey I think, so that's nice.
Supposedly, they're the sample compact from the "how to design one for your own home game" chapter. Which, while worse than nothing-at-all, at least means they're not going to get a bunch of pagecount moving forward.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Oberst posted:

The thought of physically rolling dice when roll20 exists chills me to the bone

There's something fun about being in the same physical space as the friends you're playing with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'd played exclusively roll20 for the last few years, but just started an in-person game, and its definitely nice.

Its not hard to have a laptop playing music. Its harder to use nice maps, but I use a wet-erase map and who cares if it isn't as detailed. We use 3d models so that looks good, and honestly having to build detailed maps for roll20 every week was kinda exhausting as a GM/DM/ST.

Yeah you can buy map packs or play a premade but ehhh that's no fun.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Take yo laptop to your friends house duh

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Or this of you're insane and hate money

https://youtu.be/iIqnImTPTIk

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Post your 3d models please

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Metapod posted:

Post your 3d models please

I mean miniatures, as opposed to 2d art in roll20

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My friend made a bunch of styrofoam map pieces with textures pasted on them to make the 3d maps for his self-made FFT-inspired rpg we've been playing for years now. They're great!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dienes posted:

I still have the Werewolf and Mage ones it was 10d10 with 8/9/10 in a different color.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean miniatures, as opposed to 2d art in roll20

Post the miniatures

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if hunter's back on the menu i'm gonna polish off that idea i had about the violent streamer hivemind animated by internet pundits and post it to whichever community forum and ask them to include it in the book so i can be a Real Published RPG Author and nail that sweet 10% discount on drinks and snacks at the local nerd zoo.

spooky mcbadguys: the internetting. a very serious adult role playing game suppliment, by phiz kalifa, age 37. (this is obvs written in crayon on tractor feed paper)

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

My friend made a bunch of styrofoam map pieces with textures pasted on them to make the 3d maps for his self-made FFT-inspired rpg we've been playing for years now. They're great!

This sounds interesting. Playing in a post FFT:WOTL world would probably be super fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

This sounds interesting. Playing in a post FFT:WOTL world would probably be super fun.

It's his own world inspired by a bunch of games. He self-published in french and has slowly been working on an english version for some time now.

For a game made by one guy (with input from friends), I think it's pretty drat great.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Isn't that just Vagrant Story?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm thinking of adding kobe Bryant to my campaign do y'all think setite ventrue or toreador works best for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Speaking of, that reminds me of my last campaign

The party of mages astral projected over to Stygia and were going through this ghost town which was having a Dia de los Muertos festival.

A bunch of dead celebrities were performing, like Buddy Holly.

For some reason (whiskey?) I decided to mess with the party by having Ricky Martin perform. Totally forgetting what I was doing.

"...is Ricky Martin dead??"
"................ in this universe"