Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

1stGear posted:

And we're done here. Good job folks, see you all for the impeachment trial of President Sanders starting on Jan 21st 2021.

Or President "Anything-Other-Than-God-Emperor-Trump" in 2021.

gently caress me, this is why Parliamentary Democracies are so much better, some shitstain tiny crap party would have toppled this nonsense years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Pussy Boss posted:

What a collosal waste of time.

Pretty sure that we knew this when it started (or anybody that has been paying attention would know this).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now that it's obvious our federal government doesn't work (as if it wasn't before) can we please dismantle the whole thing and start over?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
lol Moscow Mitch is giving Roberts a participation prize

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

1stGear posted:

And we're done here. Good job folks, see you all for the impeachment trial of President Sanders starting on Jan 21st 2021.

2023 unless you're thinking he somehow wins and we lose the House, which would be really unlikely.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
lol Romney split his vote so he could play it both ways what a coward

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Munkeymon posted:

2023 unless you're thinking he somehow wins and we lose the House, which would be really unlikely.

I was mostly joking.

Mostly

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1225162739422724097

this went exactly opposite how they thought just hours ago

So glad I used my body to defend him from all of those blows

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

The House Democrats would impeach Sanders in the name of partisanship and fairness.

(Just kidding.)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

1stGear posted:

I was mostly joking.

Mostly

I wasn't - it's the most likely outcome of two years of President Sanders, IMO

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crows Turn Off posted:

The House Democrats would impeach Sanders in the name of partisanship and fairness.

(Just kidding.)

your thinking of the senate dems, house dems are mostly good.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Jaxyon posted:

lol Romney split his vote so he could play it both ways what a coward

No one is going to talk about Article 2 lol.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Did someone already make the "check Romney for a brain tumor" joke yet

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Romney “lets do the right thing”

*not guilty*

His head is gonna be on a spike somewhere.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It wasn't a colossal waste of time. If nothing else it showed centrists and weak Dems what's really going on and SHOULD give them more reason to get off their rear end and vote in November. Strong GOPs and strong Dems weren't going to be shaken by this no matter what.

That, and it served to royally piss Our God-King off which is never a bad thing.

If there's any vestige of sanity left in this nation we will also hopefully see a shift in the Senate as there are now countless tweets, interviews, and soundbytes showing the world how loving useless and stupid the GOP senators are. I don't know which senators are now in danger, but it may be enough to turn the Senate blue.

Nothing dramatic was ever going to come from this. It's all theater-- the trials, the tweets, the rallies, the speeches, even the loving SOTU. The big drive is appealing to the nation and where their votes of the undecided will go.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

btw I just learned a fun fact: murkowski's first stint in the senate was a result of her dad being elected to governor of alaska (where he was previously a senator) and then appointing her in his place. makes sense if they're some big alaska legacy why it's so hard for them to shake her stupid rear end out.

She's actually retained her seat despite her name. Her father was a corrupt piece of poo poo - Alaskans loved that when he was pulling pork in DC, but it didn't go over so well as governor. Between appointing his daughter to his senate seat, buying a personal jet with state money (and then using it to campaign without reimbursing the state), and a bunch of other scandals and general incompetence he came in third in the primary for his incumbent election - behind Palin and Binkley.

The only thing that saved Lisa was that she actually worked decently hard at positioning herself as a competent and relatively bipartisan Senator who mostly cared about Alaskan issues. She's still terrible, but she would have been out if she hadn't turned out to be much, much less corrupt than her father.

E: I also remember her dad's house having a wood-powered water heater that filled the whole neighborhood with smoke. Piece of poo poo on many levels.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 5, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Framboise posted:

If nothing else it showed centrists and weak Dems what's really going on and SHOULD give them more reason to get off their rear end and vote in November.

This isn't going to happen. America is full of spineless ignorant cowards.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

This isn't going to happen. America is full of spineless ignorant cowards.

I said what "should" happen, not what unfortunately will.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Do those saying this was a waste of time feel that no impeachment would have been better?

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Do those saying this was a waste of time feel that no impeachment would have been better?

It needed to happen as an example to future presidents.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Okay now we can close the thread.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Catalyst-proof posted:

Okay now we can close the thread.

seems like consensus was we'd give it till the end of the week

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sexpig by night posted:

the people who need loving healthcare and want to see people not getting blown up for being in the wrong part of desert, you ghoul.

If the choice is between (A) getting one more D so the party is in the majority and controls judges, committees, impeachment, rules, and what laws get sent to the president or (B) being sad that one of those Ds isn’t ideologically pure, which one is better?

Democrats need as many senators as they can get. Leftists are severely handicapped in the senate. Wanting this isn’t ghoulish, come on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1225174713992990721

no actual tweets but he retweeted this gem.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Press conference at noon tomorrow

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Press conference at noon tomorrow

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1225179058000089090

yeah. can't wait for him to try to make romney and schiff/the house traitors.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Framboise posted:

It wasn't a colossal waste of time. If nothing else it showed centrists and weak Dems what's really going on and SHOULD give them more reason to get off their rear end and vote in November. Strong GOPs and strong Dems weren't going to be shaken by this no matter what.

That, and it served to royally piss Our God-King off which is never a bad thing.

If there's any vestige of sanity left in this nation we will also hopefully see a shift in the Senate as there are now countless tweets, interviews, and soundbytes showing the world how loving useless and stupid the GOP senators are. I don't know which senators are now in danger, but it may be enough to turn the Senate blue.

Nothing dramatic was ever going to come from this. It's all theater-- the trials, the tweets, the rallies, the speeches, even the loving SOTU. The big drive is appealing to the nation and where their votes of the undecided will go.

The difficulty here is that there are different factions in the Democratic party who have very different strategic visions for how to not only defeat Trump but actually prevent another person like him from getting elected. So one of the biggest questions in American politics right now is necessarily which vision is going to win out. Since different visions of the ideal anti-Trump strategy involve pursuing different voter demographics there is a trade off depending on which tactic you pursue. If you think the path to victory involves wooing group A you want strategy A, if you think the path forward involves wooing group B then you want strategy B.

For the people grouped around Sanders they believe the long term solution is to mobilize huge numbers of voters by promising concrete material improvements in their lives, backed up with an aggressive anti-establishment communications strategy that plays up the 'party of the people vs the 1%' rhetoric that has become increasingly popular with some Democratic voters in the last decade. Needless to say the vast majority of the Democratic party establishment does not want this to happen and they'll do anything they can to derail that process.

The impeachment plays a role in that struggle. For certain parts of the Democratic party they are really hopeful that exactly what you predicted will happen, that the impeachment will actually motivate swing voters to the polls. Of course for that to work the Democratic party would probably need to run a campaign that isn't overly offensive to potential GOP voters, which of course would mean they would be unlikely to run the kind of populist tinged turn-out-the-base strategy that the Sanders wing is demanding the party adopt moving forward. So for people who want to keep the party's political centre more or less frozen in place they very much want the impeachment proceedings to make it seem like maybe the safest way to beat Trump is to challenge him on very narrow respectability grounds and beat him with a cautious and centrist campaign strategy that wins over the Panera Bread Republican vote.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

John Bolton/Lev Parnas drop at ten tomorrow who says no

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

John Bolton/Lev Parnas drop at ten tomorrow who says no

they might drop stuff tonight too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1225183166677299200

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:suicide:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

What a collosal waste of time.

For who? It’s not like Mitch was gonna let the Senate do some good for the world in the meantime.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/kadhim/status/1225183531741130752

lol. they are gonna try to do some revenge poo poo.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Wonder how many people he's going to announce investigations of.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Wonder how many people he's going to announce investigations of.

schiff and the bidens probably. Romney too. probably others.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eke out posted:

maybe it's that drat oracle and her double-meanings again

:ninja:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Helsing posted:

The impeachment plays a role in that struggle. For certain parts of the Democratic party they are really hopeful that exactly what you predicted will happen, that the impeachment will actually motivate swing voters to the polls. Of course for that to work the Democratic party would probably need to run a campaign that isn't overly offensive to potential GOP voters, which of course would mean they would be unlikely to run the kind of populist tinged turn-out-the-base strategy that the Sanders wing is demanding the party adopt moving forward. So for people who want to keep the party's political centre more or less frozen in place they very much want the impeachment proceedings to make it seem like maybe the safest way to beat Trump is to challenge him on very narrow respectability grounds and beat him with a cautious and centrist campaign strategy that wins over the Panera Bread Republican vote.

this logic doesn't hold. to the extent impeachment motivates 'swing' voters (and you are using this term in an overly broad way) to vote against trump, it does so by in essence showing that trump is a corrupt criminal. the extent to which a swing voter who is repelled by trump being a corrupt criminal mattering will depend on how much they like the democratic candidate, true - they may be less likely to vote for bernie vs voting for biden, or they may be more likely to sit out if it's bernie (but not vote for trump) and actively willing to vote for biden. but here's the thing you're missing: it still helps democrats win even if you run bernie. it just might not help as much. but there are going to be some swing voters for whom corrupt criminal is a dealbreaker, period, and will vote for whoever the democrats put up that is not themselves a corrupt criminal. there are going to be some swing voters who aren't going to vote for bernie - but won't ever vote for trump now, and would have otherwise.

the other main issue is that the impeachment actually happening (as opposed to hearings to publicize it) is likely most damaging to senate republicans and i don't care if you're a bernie supporter or a biden supporter, you're way better off with susan collins having dynamited whatever "bipartisan" cred she had than having her not have to take that vote, because ain't nobody getting poo poo done with 51 senate republicans around and any path to getting rid of at least three (net) runs through throwing her out of office.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it'll be really funny when the RNC head who's Mitt's Niece calls him a traitor in a day or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm the swing voter that doesn't realize Trump is corrupt without the impeachment trial.