Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mcmagic posted:

I'm happy to be wrong.

is that why you post so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also yes, very happy to be wrong in my cynicism RE: Manchin/Sinema.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tatsuta Age posted:

is that why you post so much

hes a Jets fan

self-hating is kind of a prerequisite

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

I've lost track, is there a simple majority for conviction?

No. It will be 48 (47 dems + romney) to 52 (all republicans). Removal will fail to obtain a simple majority. It would have needed Collins and Murkowski to tie, and one more Republican to get a majority (which would be meaningless except as a talking point).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

conviction requires a 2/3s majority

I know, I'm asking if there are more than 50 conviction votes even if that results in a final verdict of acquittal.

e: thanks

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Collins voting not guilty, but later clarifying that she meant that she hoped he was not guilty.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

every single republican woman senator looks like a total becky

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

SubG posted:

Collins voting not guilty, but later clarifying that she meant that she hoped he was not guilty.

But really, even if he was, he's suffered enough already

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tatsuta Age posted:

every single republican woman senator looks like a total becky

Yeah they're pretty hot...wait

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Romney locked in.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Guess we can expect the tweets soon.

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Did Ben Sasse drop the "reasonable republican" act? Haven't heard much from him lately and he just went on record for not guilty

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tatsuta Age posted:

it's really striking how many randos there are in the senate you never hear from, on both sides. like 30 senators monopolize all the media time, and 70 people just sit around and vote party line on everything. must be a nice fuckin cushy job

I'd love to get paid their salary to sit around and do fuckall all year.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

btw I just learned a fun fact: murkowski's first stint in the senate was a result of her dad being elected to governor of alaska (where he was previously a senator) and then appointing her in his place. makes sense if they're some big alaska legacy why it's so hard for them to shake her stupid rear end out.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
SOMEWHAT VINDICATION

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C411 posted:

Did Ben Sasse drop the "reasonable republican" act? Haven't heard much from him lately and he just went on record for not guilty

His reasonable Republican schtick barely lasted the 7 days in May 2017 that started all this. Dude sucks.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tatsuta Age posted:

btw I just learned a fun fact: murkowski's first stint in the senate was a result of her dad being elected to governor of alaska (where he was previously a senator) and then appointing her in his place. makes sense if they're some big alaska legacy why it's so hard for them to shake her stupid rear end out.

Hahahaha holy poo poo how is that not illegal

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

C411 posted:

I think you're confused; what you were hearing before was from Ben's rear end, not Ben Sasse. Easy mistake to make.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whatever wild, crazy rear end poo poo Trump does after this, should be thrown in the face of every no vote every single day until they die and then those things should be etched on their tombstones.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

C411 posted:

He dropped the act back in the summer of 2016.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

He dropped the act back in the summer of 2016.

Remember when he wrote that weird rear end book about child rearing? '

smear the blood of their fallen enemies on their foreheads to ensure their manliness!'

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I agree with the poster who said that what Romney's doing is legitimately commendable. I know it's symbolic and won't make a difference but this is the first time since our idiot president was elected that someone in the loving GOP has acknowledged reality.

Trump will try to destroy him - honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts spewing "won't someone rid me of this troublesome Mormon!" poo poo at his rallies, or talking about a "second amendment solution" or whatever. Romney's a lot more likely to get shot than he was yesterday. But in the end I think that'll hurt Trump. Most of the GOP will buy that Romney's a "Democrat secret agent" but not everyone will. Trump lashing out will cost him votes, though I have no idea whether it'll be enough to change anything.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Lol Romney did an embargoed interview with the Atlantic a week ago explaining why he was voting to convict.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/02/romney-impeach-trump/606127/

Haha dunking on the Dersh:

“I had Professor Dershowitz for criminal law in law school,” Romney said, “and he was known to occasionally take his argument to its illogical conclusion.”

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1225162739422724097

this went exactly opposite how they thought just hours ago

It's technically true.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yronic heroism posted:

Haha dunking on the Dersh:

“I had Professor Dershowitz for criminal law in law school,” Romney said, “and he was known to occasionally take his argument to its illogical conclusion.”

yeah. i know its a bit of a puff piece. but he makes a sympathetic enough case. its kinda sad seeing him realize all his "friends" and the party he is loyal too, loving hate him now.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/1225167293518315521

gently caress the flyover states there I said it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We're gonna be reminded real soon that Romney was the governor of a democratic state.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i know its a bit of a puff piece. but he makes a sympathetic enough case. its kinda sad seeing him realize all his "friends" and the party he is loyal too, loving hate him now.

It's a puff piece but it puts out his way of thinking and showing that he doesn't give a gently caress anymore. While I don't agree with his views on many subjects I can at least give him some credit for basically openly putting it out there that he doesn't give a gently caress anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

It's a puff piece but it puts out his way of thinking and showing that he doesn't give a gently caress anymore. While I don't agree with his views on many subjects I can at least give him some credit for basically openly putting it out there that he doesn't give a gently caress anymore.

pretty much. he realizes that the values the GOP "has" arn't there anymore(they never were but baby steps). i genuinly hope he is being genuine with his reasons because id probably legit respect him for that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tatsuta Age posted:

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/1225167293518315521

gently caress the flyover states there I said it

folks I say it every week, we gotta burn the senate

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

romney just voted not guilty on charge #2 btw

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

It's technically true.

maybe it's that drat oracle and her double-meanings again

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Romney voted Not Guilty what a spineless coward!

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This was a more minor charge anyway.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

syntaxrigger posted:

the article says as much that he wasnt going to vote on the second charge.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

syntaxrigger posted:

Yeah, on Obstruction of Congress. Ridiculous.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tatsuta Age posted:

romney just voted not guilty on charge #2 btw

He told everyone exactly what he was going to do, not sure why that's a surprise.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
And we're done here. Good job folks, see you all for the impeachment trial of President Sanders starting on Jan 21st 2021.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tatsuta Age posted:

She then lost the 2010 primary in the early Tea Party surge and won as a write-in. Alaska is weird I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

What a collosal waste of time.