Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I wonder how Anastasia would react to English titles that put Cyrillic letters in the wrong places, like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

...This was a joke. It took you a second to remember it was Keith too, c'mon! I had to double-check his name and I did a goddamn LP involving the forgettable idiot. Even Joachim doesn't remember his name when he shows up the very end of the game! :ssh:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 5, 2020

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Supersonic Shine posted:

I wonder how Anastasia would react to English titles that put Cyrillic letters in the wrong places, like this:

Ah yes, I love *squints* Vordt?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Supersonic Shine posted:

Given what this Anastasia is like with the added Id dialogue, I'm going to place my vote on "Exasperated sarcasm".

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I have a friend that's 2nd gen Russian, and boy this kind of lettering drives her nuts because she'd keep trying to read it as Russian first, then realize it's nonsense and it takes her a bit to realize what english letters they're replacing.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Robindaybird posted:

I have a friend that's 2nd gen Russian, and boy this kind of lettering drives her nuts because she'd keep trying to read it as Russian first, then realize it's nonsense and it takes her a bit to realize what english letters they're replacing.

Serves her right <:mad:>

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RandomMagus posted:

Ah yes, I love *squints* Vordt?
Eh, he wasn't my favorite boss ever. He did gently caress me up a few times when he started charging all over the place, though.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXI: The Cyrillic Shuffle

Music: In Darkness of a Labyrinth ~ Dungeon

I drove roughly 1800 miles in the last two days and now I'm coming back to write about a sewer level. Great stuff! Why must you vex me so, Shadow Hearts sewer levels? The last one killed my drat computer! Whatever... Let's out of here so we can get back to the fun stuff instead. Rasputin isn't going to punch himself. He's got Veronica to take care of that.

Continuing our lantern-lit trek, if we follow the square of the dungeon we eventually reach the upper left tip which is the important part.

The part where we can leave the dungeon! There's actually quite a bit of junk to examine in this weird crypt. Directly to the north, we have...

Those are the same characters that are written on the gates.
Oh, so they're characters now and not letters?
Characters and letters can be used interchangeably and are both grammatically correct!
Ohh... Aren't we fancy?

Hey, I know. Maybe it tells us if the gates in the passageway are open or not?
So maybe red lights show the gates that are already open?

Now you would think we would ultimately need to open all the gates and this panel would do something, right? Nope. It's just a useless indicator of how many gates have been unlocked by their corresponding switches. Don't ask me what they were going for here. Or why this hundred-year-old abandoned sewer has functional wiring to LED indicators.

Anyway, across from the switchboard we have a coffin that is some note...

Huh? What does it say?

Entry 1: I lost my home and wealth to political maneuverings. Now I'll end my days rotting away here... All I have left is this locket, keepsake from my mother. It's all that keeps me going...

Entry 2: The others, who've been here longer than I have, asked if I wanted to try and escape with them. I politely refused. Even if I could get out of here, what do I have left in this world...?

Entry 3: I haven't been here very long, but my body is already beginning to rot. It's difficult to write on this wall. The others stole my locket from me before they escaped. I wonder if they managed to reach above-ground...? My keepsake, all that I had left... If only I could have it back to comfort me in death...

Just to the left of that coffin with a bunch of doom journal entries is a central coffin with an ominous description. These two things and that shiny bit of loot on that one skeleton behind a gate early in the dungeon may all be linked. Just a hunch!

Finally, there's another Magic Crest nestled in the very corner next to the only less than noteworthy coffin in the room. Now we can do all the Bright Crimes we could imagine. Finally!

To the north of the coffin room, we have another split path. As indicated on the mini-map, there's a switch to the east. But to the northwest, we find...

No, I don't think so. But there's a faint, eerie presence coming from this door... I think somebody's ghostly regrets are keeping this door sealed shut.
Freaking ghosts. I knew I should have done more of those trials back in the valley!
Somebody? Who?
I don't know exactly, but probably one of the Russian nobles that were locked up here, I'd say.
The regrets of a Russian noble...
There is a lot of that going around lately...
We'd better do something or we won't be able to sneak into the palace.

This is actually the exit of the dungeon. Spoilers: This is one of the rare dungeon crawls in this game that do NOT feature a boss plopped at the end. We're not actually going to ultimately have to punch out a ghost or anything. We just need to go find its keepsake to make it less depressed and we're good. It's like one of those jerk cartoon ghosts from Clock Tower 3 is working part-time here. Don't worry, we're getting a big chapter ending, welcome to the Disc 1 final dungeon heralding boss encounter instead later.

Let's go check out that switch we passed...

That's "A," and it's read "ah."
...That's what I said!
You said it like an unrefined yokel. I said it like a refined noble, thank you very much!
So your family isn't very popular with the common people, ay?
Just pull the lever!

As you'll recall, the A gate was way back towards the start of the dungeon and is essentially just a shortcut so we only have to retread half the dungeon and not the entire thing... like usual. Guess who didn't go north the first time they played and ended up taking the long way around to that gate with the keepsake?

Continuing to the south, there are a couple of branching paths off the main square of the dungeon. There's not much going down any of the spokes other than generic consumables and unimportant loot and a dead end.

But to the very southwestern corner of the dungeon we across yet another gate. With a switch behind it. That there is backtracking in our future.

That's "P", and it's read "ehr". See? The shape is slightly different from the Roman alphabet "P".
<squints at the P> ...I'll just take your word here. You're the authority.
Ah, so you really are learning!
I just really want to get out of here. All this running water is making me have to pee.

As luck would have it, there's a P Lever just a couple corners away. No wonder they locked this place up and threw away the key...

That's "P", and it's read "ehr".
We JUST went over this!
Well, you don't have to get so uppity about it!
I do when you forget lessons from a minute ago!
Tsk! Let's hurry up and move it. drat! How many of these things are there?
Stop your whining! And get moving!

Technically, we just needed the P switch to throw the final lever and retrieve our prize back at the start of the dungeon. But, we can take a brief detour around the corner to open a shortcut by the P switch to quickly be able to return to the coffin room (that one doesn't have an alphabet lesson at the gate, strangely.) So let's do that. I'll always take a few minutes shaven off a dungeon.

Unlike that P. The more I think about it that was JUST a P like any other "P" and you all just say it funny in Russian.
What are you talking about, "Russian-y"? That's "Б," and it's read "beh."
What do you know? Learn something new every day. Now, then...

One last drat switch to flip and we're done with this sewer. I never want to pull another lever again for at least the rest of this month. "Lever" doesn't even sound like a real word anymore...

Are you making fun of me? ..."Ь" is a "lenition," or "consonant weakening," symbol. It doesn't have a reading.
Well, fancy that.
Again, we have been over this. It wasn't that long ago. How did you ever make it through your education with your attention span being this short?
I was homeschooled until my mom was killed by zombies when I was like eight. That was the end of my schooling...
Oh... I am sorry to hear that... Even if it does explain a lot.

<pulls the lever> Huh? I heard something back by the entrance.
Maybe the gate near the entrance opened? Let's go see.

Sure enough, the other Ъ Gate opened we can FINALLY loot that corpse! Guess those thieves in the crypt-sewer-torture dungeon's escape attempt didn't go so hot. Maybe Jack and Jill and the Agony skeleton army are more fearsome than first impressions made.

Really? Let me see. Hey, you're right. It looks like a necklace.

And thus we have that keepsake from the prisoner who seemingly managed to etch an entire tome onto the side of a coffin (kind of rude) before climbing into another coffin and dying...? Is that how that went down? Whatever! Let's go bust a ghost! Just as soon as we backtrack through mercifully only about a third of the dungeon. I'll take it...

Say, Yuri, let's give him back his locket.
That's kind of a waste, isn't it?
What? I'm doing this whole rescuing Russia operation pro bono. We could probably just beat up this spirit and get some extra Cash from this thing. It looks fancy.
<unimpressed stare> ...Really? Yuri, give him back the locket.

Of course. I was planning to.
That's better...
Hey, the mood of this place suddenly cleared, don't you think?
Yeah, that ghostly atmosphere is gone.
It's still a sewer filled with skeletons but, you know... Not as BAD of a sewer filled with skeletons. Like a solid 7/10 sewer. Certainly better than the one in Fengtian where the puppy my girlfriend had adopted turned out to be an evil wizard.
You hate to see that.

I bet his sadness was trapped here all this time. I'm sorry for what my ancestors did to you, sir...

And with that, the gate is open and the Winter Palace awaits... Yep, no boss! Not even a completely filler encounter like so many. That dungeon? Not so bad.

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

And hey, remember that storeroom that looked suspiciously like it ought to have a Resident Evil puzzle in it? Turns out it totally did! You just needed to put to rest the spirit of a depressed prisoner from the OTHER side of the room. Tricky!

And as Grand Duke Dmitri takes his place in the historical broom closet as Yuri and the gang fix to take his assassinate role, so too do we save the rest of our adventures for another day. Buckle up, it's about to get wild!

Anastasia Romanov Concept Art - The many expressions of a sinister gremlin child.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 6, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To be fair to the Russian nobles, this Rasputin does have some kind of energy shield. Shooting, stabbing, poisoning, and drowning might not work on energy shields. I don't know.

Pizuz
Sep 15, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

Are you making fun of me? ..." Ъ" is a "lenition," or "consonant weakening," symbol. It doesn't have a reading.

[...]

Sure enough, the other Ъ Gate opened we can FINALLY loot that corpse! Guess those thieves in the crypt-sewer-torture dungeon's escape attempt didn't go so hot. Maybe Jack and Jill and the Agony skeleton army are more fearsome than first impressions made.

You picked the wrong character here. Ь is the weakening letter, while Ъ is the hardening letter.

Pizuz fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 5, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sadness, but hooray for Skeleton Ghost!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
If Yuri can't read Russian, how was he able to read the Russian ghost's doom diary? I guess we have to imply that Anastasia was translating.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

EggsAisle posted:

If Yuri can't read Russian, how was he able to read the Russian ghost's doom diary? I guess we have to imply that Anastasia was translating.

Yuri can totally read Russian. He is causing problems on purpose.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Night10194 posted:

To be fair to the Russian nobles, this Rasputin does have some kind of energy shield. Shooting, stabbing, poisoning, and drowning might not work on energy shields. I don't know.

Poisoning might unless the force shield was also covering his stomach. But hey.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I'm always ready for when things get wild in a Dark Id ride. :getin:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dark Id posted:

Continuing to the south, there are a couple of branching paths off the main square of the dungeon. There's not much going down any of the spokes other than generic consumables and unimportant loot and a dead end.

But to the very southwestern corner of the dungeon we across yet another gate. With a switch behind it. That there is backtracking in our future.

That's "P", and it's read "ehr". See? The shape is slightly different from the Roman alphabet "P".

The first and third image are in the wrong places here.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Speedball posted:

Poisoning might unless the force shield was also covering his stomach. But hey.

Now I'm thinking of what the shield rules are. Obviously, it's not a permanent ball barrier, or he couldn't touch anyone. Something he has to activate just leaves him open to surprise attacks. Maybe more of a permanent "sense intent, block it" sort of thing, otherwise someone in a position like Veronica's could potentially get inside of it and get some stabs in.

The Dark Id posted:

Let's out of here so we can get back to the fun stuff

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Fun fact: if you read the letters on that LED display, they form the word "Декабрь" which literally means "December"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ЏГМПДӺ БӨЯЋ

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zagglezig posted:

Now I'm thinking of what the shield rules are. Obviously, it's not a permanent ball barrier, or he couldn't touch anyone. Something he has to activate just leaves him open to surprise attacks. Maybe more of a permanent "sense intent, block it" sort of thing, otherwise someone in a position like Veronica's could potentially get inside of it and get some stabs in.
Maybe it blocks anything moving faster than a certain velocity. Obviously it's tuned low enough to block a punch, but not like a handshake.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ratoslov posted:

Yuri can totally read Russian. He is causing problems on purpose.

Long before the story, Yuri absorbed a demon of Bable. It gave him the power to translate all languages and spread that effect to his allies. He never mentioned it because it failed to add to his punching powers and was, therefore, irrelevant in his eyes.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe it blocks anything moving faster than a certain velocity. Obviously it's tuned low enough to block a punch, but not like a handshake.

That's how shields on Dune work, with Holtzman generators

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Same as in Mass Effect.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Geostomp posted:

Long before the story, Yuri absorbed a demon of Bable. It gave him the power to translate all languages and spread that effect to his allies. He never mentioned it because it failed to add to his punching powers and was, therefore, irrelevant in his eyes.

This is an amazing idea, and it is now my head cannon.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Considering that Yuri is half Russian, not being able to read the language would be shameful. :colbert:

Yes, I know that that's very common. But for Yuri it's shameful.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If Yuri could feel shame, that might be something

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
I'm assuming Yuri can read some Japanese, which has a similar "consonant weakening" symbol (た and だ meaning "ta" and "da" respectively), so he might at least understand that concept.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There's also an episode of Stargate SG-1 where the Goa'uld Apophis has a shield that works similarly. Only his was tuned too high; it blocked handguns and energy weapons, but the cast managed to hit him with a thrown knife and an arrow from a homemade bow. It's what gave me the idea.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

There's also an episode of Stargate SG-1 where the Goa'uld Apophis has a shield that works similarly. Only his was tuned too high; it blocked handguns and energy weapons, but the cast managed to hit him with a thrown knife and an arrow from a homemade bow. It's what gave me the idea.

I could never figure out what made them think that was a good alternative to their conventional weapons since the guy went around in JRPG styled sci-fi villain armor all the time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, they appropriated the sci-fi stunguns the Goa'uld used, but only Teal'c ever preferred the staff weapons over conventional guns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, they appropriated the sci-fi stunguns the Goa'uld used, but only Teal'c ever preferred the staff weapons over conventional guns.

The Zats were useful as all hell, the staff blasters (as gets pointed out at several points) were merely weapons for intimidating peasants rather than proper combat tools.

Bullets are also too dumb to be stopped by things like high-tech energy-suppressing/absorbing fields. Projectile weapons are cheap and logistically easy to maintain compared to an exotic energy weapon they can't reproduce.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Bullets do stir up the censors, however, and it's easier to explain a weird magic or laser bolt only wounding someone, not killing them. This is why you see a lot of cops and robbers wielding only laser guns in 80s and 90s cartoons.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

...! posted:

Considering that Yuri is half Russian, not being able to read the language would be shameful. :colbert:

Yes, I know that that's very common. But for Yuri it's shameful.
I'm fully Korean and I can't read Korean at all!

Well, I can, but I don't understand it is the issue here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

achtungnight posted:

Bullets do stir up the censors, however, and it's easier to explain a weird magic or laser bolt only wounding someone, not killing them. This is why you see a lot of cops and robbers wielding only laser guns in 80s and 90s cartoons.

Nah, they shot the hell out of hundreds of Ja'ffa in the first season alone with automatic weapons and they weren't shy with the P90's either once those became the standard. The Zats provided a nice stungun niche and a reason for the cast to get captured regularly instead of just shot in the face the moment they were cornered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apparently they started using zats a lot because they were much cheaper than prop guns.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The funny thing with the zats is that they didn't appear at all until either the S1 finale or S2 premiere when they were raiding one of Apophis's motherships, and as soon as they did, everybody started using them from then on, from the core SG-1 team to common Jaffa footsoldiers. Especially since not only did it take a hell of a lot of lead from human developed guns to take down the average Goa'uld soldier with their armor, but also because the Goa'uld forces strictly used only staff weapons before then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't even realize what thread this was. what a strange place for a stargate derail.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shitenshi posted:

The funny thing with the zats is that they didn't appear at all until either the S1 finale or S2 premiere when they were raiding one of Apophis's motherships, and as soon as they did, everybody started using them from then on, from the core SG-1 team to common Jaffa footsoldiers. Especially since not only did it take a hell of a lot of lead from human developed guns to take down the average Goa'uld soldier with their armor, but also because the Goa'uld forces strictly used only staff weapons before then.

End of season 1. They originally had a rule of one shot stuns, two kills, three disintegrates... and then very quietly dropped that soon after for "it just stuns". iirc, partly because nobody could quite decide just how long a gap was appropriate to go from the first hit to second.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Regallion posted:

Fun fact: if you read the letters on that LED display, they form the word "Декабрь" which literally means "December"

At first glance I couldn't tell where the duke's head ends and where the chest starts, and thought he had a weird Lando Mollari haircut.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

apparently they started using zats a lot because they were much cheaper than prop guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36uLLJPa61Y&t=2578s

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXII: We Brought Receipts, Bitch!

Trumpets blare and assorted palette-swapped party guests murmur as the banquet for the war victory celebration for the war still currently in progress and going poorly for Russia commences.

The crowd of nobles gather to the side and begin clapping and bowings as the Tsar and Tsarina finally decide to show up for their own party. An entire sewer level happened in the time it took you to finally wander two rooms over here, Nicholas. Was your wife just awkwardly waiting in the hall for the last hour before you decided to shuffle over?

Anyone who is anyone has shown up for the bash. Kato and his chin made the invite list.

Nicolai and Veronica are in attendance. Yes, she showed up here still wearing that and nobody said boo. I have to wonder how long Veronica has just been Rasputin's personal dominatrix to the point nobody even side glances at her skulking in corners looking like a really bad alternate costume for Harley Quinn.

And of course, regicide plotting Rasputin is here. Hopefully, he'll refrain from casting an evil spell upon all the attendants now that Tsar is back in town.

Noblemen of Russia! Greetings!

After having visited our young troops on the front line, one thing I can say to you, with complete confidence, is that the brave soldiers of the Russian Army march on the road to a total and complete victory!
In a few months to perhaps half of a year's time, undoubtedly. Certainly no later than next autumn! Likely of this year! Have faith!

Everyone claps.

...Well, everyone. In celebration of the victory to come, and the eternal Empire of Russia, let us... wine, dine and dance!
Let's get wild, people! I want to see a woman's top off and at least one pair of misplaced trousers by the strike of midnight!

Everyone claps. Generic fancy banquet music begins playing.

<slumps in chair> Ugh... What a fool I've been...

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself, buddy. Yeah, you're throwing a victory party for a war that won't be ending for another three years... after your entire family has been assassinated for the lot of you being decadent gently caress-ups. But, look on the bright side...

Your closest advisor invited his personal low rent assassin to murder you tonight. So you won't have to worry about this for too long.

Hmm... <nods to Victor>

A reminder: Rasputin's Plan A of ascending to the throne of Russia is hinging on this generic middle-management rear end looking dweeb assassinating the Emperor in a middle of a party.

And what will be the method employed by this unassuming jobber assassin. Remember, despite his modest looks, Victor is a fairly skilled swordsman, can summon demons, has pyromancy AND teleports.

Yeah, he's going to wait until the Tsar zones out, pull out a dagger and just try to shank him. That's it. This is the grand scheme Rasputin and his assassin concocted. It's a good thing Emperor Nicholas II gave all his guards the night off to go party too or there could be complications in this plot.

Huh?!

But you know what nobody accounted for...? Especially, poor Victor here?

Music: Flame of Strain to Blaze ~ Tension

The Rude Hero dropping in.

Sup?
?!
You are already punched.
NANI?!

<screams>

Here lies Victor. He lived as he died. Failing at everything and immediately getting his rear end kicked. Victor is dead, by the way. Yuri killed him with that punch. That was a cutscene punch. It's like a cutscene bullet and is 95 times more effective than an in-game punch. We never see him again.

Kato looks on with approval at how wrecked that mid-boss just got by his old friend Yuri.

Y-y-you?!

<grunts> ......
(OK. This is not optimal. You can turn this around, Grigori...)
<murmuring and gasps>
<looks to see the source of the commotion> ......
Huh?!
(...Oh, drat it.)

Music: ENDS

Anastasia...?

Uh...

Rasputin tries to intervene with the Princess's return but...

Yuri is not having any of that poo poo.

(You can spin this still, Grigori. Keep it together.)
You... Y-you're alive, Princess Anastasia... We were so worried.
I should... should really look you over to make sure you are unharmed. In private, naturally. Now, Princess, if you'll just follow me...

<pushes back Rasputin> Hey! Step back!
Nobody is buying your crap, Nosferatu.
<stares down Yuri> Grr...!

Thanks for worrying, Mr. Rasputin!
<twirls around and bows like a little poo poo> As you can see, I'm quite well!
...Yes, indeed. That is... very... nice to see...
But somebody isn't going to be well in a minute. Don't go anywhere, Mr. Rasputin. I'll be right back.

Anastasia approaches her father.

NEW Music: Relaxation Mood ~ Relief
(Might be the most generic JRPG pleasant music in the game.)

Princess Anastasia has returned. And welcome home, Daddy!
But... but how...?

I had a great adventure with these folk. We visited foreign lands and saw all sorts of strange and wonderful things.
Oh-ho! Oh, is that right?
Yep. I went to Turkey and met a real spy, learned about a secret cult and saw an old man die!
...That is, quite... the adventure, sweetheart.

<pulls out a picture album and hands it to her father> These are the pictures I took. It's a present for you, Daddy!
I think you'll find the pictures on page five to be VERY interesting, Daddy. <slowly cranes head toward Rasputin while grinning evilly>

Music: ENDS

<flips through the book> ......
Well? Didn't I do a good job? That last one almost cost me my life!
<examines the book and looks up> Hmm...
<nods> Mhm.
Yes, I see. You did a very good job.
Excellent composition and framing.

My lord?!
Hm?
What about these rogues...?

Oh, yes, thank you!
Leave them to me, Your Majesty!

The Tsar ignores Rasputin and turns to the crowd.

Someone here plotted to kill me, Tsar Nicholas of Russia, and my family! And that someone is...
<points> My counselor, Grigori Rasputin!

(...gently caress!)
Oh, Rasputin!
<murmuring>
My lord. Wh-what do you mean...?!

You can drop the pretense.
Haha!
My daughter brought proof of your treachery.
<cocks her head and smiles smugly>
This picture proves it!

You really forgot to follow up on the picture I took of you and your assassin, you big dummy? And the picture I took of the monster you sent to kill me? Oh and pictures of the monsters you let into the palace when you did magic to everyone! Oh and another picture of your hitman attacking me and my friends too. I almost forgot about that one. Like geez, Mr. Rasputin. That is just negligent.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
It's time to intervene?

Nope! Time to go...

Veronica and Nicolai proceed to bail. Meanwhile, Empress Alexandra gets a closer look at the photo.

Huh?!

So how is Rasputin going to get out of this pinch? Well, simple...

<pulls out a dagger> Why you...
I am NOT going to be undone by the hobby of a twelve-year-old child!

Mother!!

He's going to immediately panic and grab a hostage at knifepoint. Does this guy really look like he has a plan? The best he could come up with was hiring Victor from Sapientes Gladio Accounting to shank the Emperor and then... Wait, what was the rest of the plan to take over...? It's not like assassinating the Tsar would make him the new Emperor. Was he just going to have Victor stab the entire royal family at different occasions? Was he going to marry the Empress or something? That's not how royal succession works, Greg.

Rasputin begins backing up with the Empress. Yuri starts walking toward them, unimpressed with the hostage situation.

Let her go. This is between you and me now.
<glare> You'll pay!!
<looks toward the door> Huh?!

Oh hey, would you look at that? There are actually GUARDS in this palace that, in theory, should probably be looking after the head of state in a public event. Things look grim for Rasputin's escape chances. I mean, other than that whole invincible shield thing he has that none of our superhuman party members could break... But, another escape option presents itself.

What?!
Lord Rasputin, now's your chance!

So, if the assassination went south the escape contingency was for Rasputin to grab a hostage and have his stripper girlfriend toss a flashbang grenade and for him to book it? I'm starting to think Rasputin might not actually be very good at this villainous scheme thing, despite initial impressions and the build-up he's gotten.

Rasputin tosses the Empress aside and dashes out of the throne room.

Guards! After them!

The guards give chase. A short while later, after all the party guests have departed...

Music: Relaxation Mood ~ Relief

Daddy!!

Anastasia runs up and hugs her father.

Oh, Anastasia! It's all right. Everything's fine now!
<nods>
...I mean, it's not. We do need to get Rasputin, but...
Eh... It shall work itself out. I'm sure the guards have apprehended him already.
<concerned look of doubt> ......

My lord...
Say nothing. I understand. Idle hands are ever the Devil's tools.
You merely nearly got myself and your daughter assassinated. It happens.

Anastasia gives an odd, forgiving smile to her deeply stupid mother. It's weird Anastasia is kind of competent and clever when both of her parents are... just morons. Complete drat idiots.

<chuckles>

Emperor Nicholas turns to Yuri.

I wish to thank you.
It's fine, but it's not over yet. We need to get somewhere safe...
I am going to be perfectly honest here, your palace guards? Completely worthless. It's like you hired them as a joke.
They're mostly relatives of lower-income nobles hired as a favor to their families.
That explains a lot... Anyway, we ne—

Oh, by the way, did you think we were done with seeing Rasputin panic and flip the gently caress out immediately while in panic mode? No, immediately pulling a knife on the woman he has spent the last decade slowly gaining the trust and complete influence over? That was him being calm about the changing tide of his situation now that the mask has fallen. The amount of immediate escalation Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin is about to perform is unreal. So buckle the gently caress up!

I guess he's here!
Or he never left... It's been about a minute.

Father, Mother! Find someplace safe! Let's go, Yuri!
We're going? What about the palace?
Who cares? It's not even the only palace we have!
<waves arms> Ugh! Come on, Yuri! We've got to find a way to save this country!

Anastasia dashes out the door.

Anastasia!
Oh, man...
...I guess I *do* still really wanna punch that bearded jackass. Crud.

<turns to Anastasia's parents> I'll protect the Princess. Don't you worry!
I'm counting on you!

Yuri dashes out the door after Anastasia.

My! Could Anastasia be their leader?
I-I think she might be...

And with that, the relevance of these two deeply incompetent parents is basically concluded. Tune in next time for Rasputin having absolutely zero loving chill as Shadow Hearts: Covenant gets wild.

Video: Episode 62 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this for how much of smug shithead Anastasia is dunking on Rasputin.)

Grigori Rasputin Concept Art - The work it must take to maintain that beard and mullet.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 8, 2020