Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The stage maker tutorial presentation included in the game is pretty neat, it gives a insight into the level creation process that the real deal mario making team at Nintendo goes through when they make courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Yeah, I like to start with a theme/gimmick/"thesis" and then just make sure that everything advances that in some way. This has ranged from mechanical ideas like "Conveyor belts are quicksand" and "Blooper Nannys on rails as barriers" to thematic ideas like "Descending into a tomb" or "Exploring a Middle-Eastern Bazaar". Just start with a small statement like that and build on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel bad because I have like zero creative level making skills so I just play the online portion.

Every time I start I just make a generic rear end thing and quit

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes with your levels!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Worked really hard on this stage so hopefully it's fun to play :shobon:

Gave myself a theme and tried to stick with it. Worried some people will want a second checkpoint despite being straightforward but wasn't really sure where to slot it in as I used a lot of the level space. I'm still pretty proud of it though. It's basically the perfect level in that it's made up of what everyone likes! Ice and Water!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel bad because I have like zero creative level making skills so I just play the online portion.

Every time I start I just make a generic rear end thing and quit

For what it's worth I'm the opposite. I like focusing on the creating aspect and the playtesting part just scratches a certain itch for me. I usually see something cool in a video and go 'hell I bet I could think up something fun with that idea!' and it's what leads me to build :v:

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

OneMoreTime posted:

Going live in 15 minutes with your levels!

Ok so its funny you nearly got softlocked and thought those invisible blocks were for another secret because they were supposed to prevent you from getting softlocked. I guess I'll be tweaking that....

It's also funny you went around the secret because I gave out a super leaf. I guess I'll be adding something there too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The hardest thing about making a underwater level is that they're all so easy due to your freedom of movement and the usual flower you get if it's a normal stage I found. I'm really happy with that stage but seeing it with a high clear rate has me thinking "should I have been more unfair to rake in more kills? Put on some boxing gloves and beat the poo poo out of the player?"

People can make some easy mistakes in normal stages, but it just seems harder to be dangerous underwater while still being completely fair :shobon:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Got a new stage!

Bounce and Wiggle in the Sky
CHS-KQM-WYF

Difficulty is about Expert, I liked athletic stages where you had to constantly bounce from enemy to enemy, and wanted to make a stage like that but a little more forgiving. Think of this as an entry-level stage to that concept.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Ok so its funny you nearly got softlocked and thought those invisible blocks were for another secret because they were supposed to prevent you from getting softlocked. I guess I'll be tweaking that....

It's also funny you went around the secret because I gave out a super leaf. I guess I'll be adding something there too.

Ha! Well, it would have been made sense if I had found a way to softlock. That does seem to be my MO with stages after all.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Finally finished a Master Sword level that I've been chipping away at the last couple of months. Probably pretty standard, play as Mario mostly in the first half then the Master Sword unlocks the entry to The Forest Temple WRV-NM9-YTF.

Now to catch up on several months worth of goon levels that I've missed (other than the handful of you that I starred/bookmarked/whatever in the game, I probably have played and liked your levels).

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 6 PM PST/9 PM EST

1. The Cold Crossing
By: ThisIsACoolGuy 5SL-HB7-89G

2. The Forest Temple
By: Perry Normal WRV-NM9-YTF

3. Time Attack Trial
By: NZMichaelClarky T0P-K2C-1TG

4. Avalanche
By: Henk Meerkoet69 QK2-7S4-6MF

5. Pokey Pokey Panic!
By: XCube285 C1P-PHT-C8G

6. Desert Platforms
By: Cerveyio C9P-HYW-0XG

7. Sledge Bro Massacre Pinball
By: Chronohunt PSQ-FMC-PGG

8. Shell Climb
By: Nanyana XT0-C5C-TXF

9. Podoboo Cavern
By: Candy2 KNT-T64-0PF

10. Hammer Bros's Castle
By: CarterJPaul2002 6N1-B7F-JNG

11. Spring Chomp Climb
By: YouStinkofDick MF3-DL8-DWG

12. Icy paradise
By: BlauweKIP 5XJ-7WH-H0G

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live with some levels here in 15 minutes!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Can't remember my Twitch login info, but I'm watching!

EDIT - Remembered!

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 31, 2020

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I'm new to mario maker and just uploaded my first level yesterday. 5 minutes after I uploaded it I got a notification that it received a few likes and even two positive comments! It made me happy, and I was hoping more people would eventually play it.

Looking at it now though, it seems I haven't gotten a play since the initial 30 minutes after my upload yesterday. Is this just how it works, or did I do something wrong by making the level too easy? It has an 80% clear rate. I wanted to make a nice friendly level that my wife could enjoy :3

If anyone is interested in giving it a try, here is the code:

1V0-YXJ-2PG

Feedback or suggestions would be appreciated

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Norton posted:

I'm new to mario maker and just uploaded my first level yesterday. 5 minutes after I uploaded it I got a notification that it received a few likes and even two positive comments! It made me happy, and I was hoping more people would eventually play it.

Looking at it now though, it seems I haven't gotten a play since the initial 30 minutes after my upload yesterday. Is this just how it works, or did I do something wrong by making the level too easy? It has an 80% clear rate. I wanted to make a nice friendly level that my wife could enjoy :3

1V0-YXJ-2PG

I don’t think you did anything wrong by making an easy level if that’s what you want to make. The general player base isn’t very good at all and people are more likely to like a course if they complete it so a good easy level can do fine. The fact is that most courses just do not get a lot of plays if you’re just relying on people to find them in game. Those plays you got in the initial 30 minutes would come from people browsing the new tab but after that there’s not a lot of ways a level can be discovered. Since you got some likes you’ll get served up in endless but there are millions of levels you’re competing with. Mostly you have to hustle your levels by submitting to streamers or posting in online forums like Reddit’s level exchange thread. I also recommend leaving a like on all courses you play unless they are truly horrible because you can sometimes get reciprocal plays that way.

I thought your level was pretty good for being both an easy level and a first attempt. The coin hunt is a good way to keep the level engaging without being difficult and the layout was nicely done.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

J-Spot posted:

I don’t think you did anything wrong by making an easy level if that’s what you want to make. The general player base isn’t very good at all and people are more likely to like a course if they complete it so a good easy level can do fine. The fact is that most courses just do not get a lot of plays if you’re just relying on people to find them in game. Those plays you got in the initial 30 minutes would come from people browsing the new tab but after that there’s not a lot of ways a level can be discovered. Since you got some likes you’ll get served up in endless but there are millions of levels you’re competing with. Mostly you have to hustle your levels by submitting to streamers or posting in online forums like Reddit’s level exchange thread. I also recommend leaving a like on all courses you play unless they are truly horrible because you can sometimes get reciprocal plays that way.

I thought your level was pretty good for being both an easy level and a first attempt. The coin hunt is a good way to keep the level engaging without being difficult and the layout was nicely done.

Perfect, thanks for the good info and giving my level a play. Time to get to work on the next super easy level!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Norton posted:

1V0-YXJ-2PG

Echoing what J-Spot said, nothing wrong with an easy level, especially if that's what you were going for. I'll take a look at it on-stream Monday, and if I get a chance to look at it beforehand I certainly will and throw some feedback your way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Welcome to Mario Maker Norton. Enjoy the game of the decade for the next 10 years

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Echoing that easy levels are fine. I prefer normal stuff over kaizo jank so I can appreciate something that's just well put together. Heck right now I'm trying to make a gimmick level that you can't really die on (unless my plans change anyway)

Mario Maker lets you kinda just do whatever. Post your codes here and you'll get some hits and thread thoughts :). OneMoreTime is extremely powerful and that he goes through thread submissions pretty often. Little Mac/Cartridgeblowers does too (or at least he did). It's fun watching them and picking up player habits!!

Speaking of which thanks again for everything OMT, I checked out the VOD the other day and glad you enjoy the work I put into stuff, even if I'm still wrangling with finding the best timer to put on levels :v:

Edit: Actually I need help thread. I'm at a roadblock in what I'm working on. Original pitch for it is a Fun Level Where Mario Explores His House. There's no enemies, just a focus on level design and telling a story. Been working at trying to make it look really good and telling its 'story'.

But as I'm playtesting it (which is easy as it is a innocent level) I'm sitting here thinking 'man if I put enemies here and made it more traditional... it could be really fun and add to it." It would kind of get rid of the original vision so I'm just doing that thinking emoji

Should I compromise my story level because enemies would be fun in it or stick to the script?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 2, 2020

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Save a copy and upload both the original vision and the more traditional “remixed” version.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

J-Spot posted:

Save a copy and upload both the original vision and the more traditional “remixed” version.

You know what, good enough idea :v:

Mario Manor
A level where there's like, 2 places to die (and even then you really have to be trying). It's more about the atmosphere as kind hearted Mario shows you his luxurious home. I put a lot of effort in trying to make everything look nice from a lovely green house to a fun music hall. It's just meant to be a fun innocent level :)

Mario Manor - Invaded!
Meant to be played after the first one, now that you know the layout of Mario's humble home I'm tasking you to try and clear a tough version of it after Bowsers minions broke in. There's power ups scattered and a few rooms are slightly altered here and there. I think it wound up being pretty tough, but hopefully fun :v:!!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's some more levels. Get em while they're hot... Or cold

The Harrowing Hailstorm
ID# K24-593-4TF
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1221998502353309696?s=20

Notable Mysteries
ID# K8P-83F-12H
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1222393613050507269?s=20

Powerful Perseverance
ID# KNY-5W4-4PG
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1223912718442217472?s=20

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

It's no prob Cool Guy, I'm glad you enjoy seeing your levels played!

Speaking of that, here's tonight's level list. Stream will be 1 hour earlier as I want to try that out and see if that wouldn't be better for everyone. So I'll start at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

1. A friendly level
By: Norton 1V0-YXJ-2PG

2. Mario Manor
By: ThisIsACoolGuy K81-QPD-PMF

3. Mario Manor Invaded!
By: ThisIsACoolGuy 585-V89-66G

4. The Harrowing Hailstorm
By: Sam Faust K24-593-4TF

5. Blue Platforming Snow Day!
By: Travis182 KGG-P28-0CG

6. Scaling Mt. Cradle
By: No Memez for u 5GM-64R-T7G

7. Ancient Pyramids Treasure
By: GmemasterX RP2-GQH-TYG

8. Prince of Precision
By: Afootball MYM-G77-GRF

9. Shellshockers
By: 5003erX HY2-YFS-S3G

10. Seesaw Platforming Precision 1
By: zzzutroy HFQ-5QL-8GF

11. On Off Switch Coin Challenge
By: MagnetsAreFun PVK-XJ9-62H

12. Rock Solid
By: Matte_SMM MYM-VW6-0NG

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Sam Faust: I just played your levels and really dig them. Also played a bunch of your older ones. Seems like you make them fairly challenging, but not too difficult and they're each centered around a pretty interesting concept like in "Spikeball Special" where you have to dodge certain spikeballs to kill enemies/destroy walls then run fast enough to not have your platform destroyed by them. That one may be my favorite.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In the night time ground theme giant spikes can throw spike balls that fly through the air and actually home in on you. Does anyone have any interesting layouts that don't look like rear end that can use this? If the spikeballs touch the ground they don't fly again and just normally home in on you by rolling, but I'd like to attempt to make a level around that theme.

Can't have the Spikes die as it's only thrown ones too

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In the night time ground theme giant spikes can throw spike balls that fly through the air and actually home in on you. Does anyone have any interesting layouts that don't look like rear end that can use this? If the spikeballs touch the ground they don't fly again and just normally home in on you by rolling, but I'd like to attempt to make a level around that theme.

Spin jump to ride them?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Also, going live in 15 minutes with some levels!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

OneMoreTime posted:

Spin jump to ride them?

Yeah the problem is that spike throws it, ball travels to the ground (due to him being huge) and it instantly stops hovering/flying so I need him to chuck it into space so it doesn't just start rolling- and make it so players don't kill him and he can throw it the right way (not against a wall or anything)

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You could put them below one-way platforms so that the player can't kill them, and when they throw their spike ball, the player has to avoid it as it rises through the air and then again when it circles back.

Sublimer posted:

Sam Faust: I just played your levels and really dig them. Also played a bunch of your older ones. Seems like you make them fairly challenging, but not too difficult and they're each centered around a pretty interesting concept like in "Spikeball Special" where you have to dodge certain spikeballs to kill enemies/destroy walls then run fast enough to not have your platform destroyed by them. That one may be my favorite.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And stream complete! Really good as always everyone : )

Link to VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/546475611

Levels played:

1. A friendly level
By: Norton 1V0-YXJ-2PG

2. Mario Manor 00:56:15
By: ThisIsACoolGuy K81-QPD-PMF

3. Mario Manor Invaded! 01:01:00
By: ThisIsACoolGuy 585-V89-66G

4. The Harrowing Hailstorm 01:19:15
By: Sam Faust K24-593-4TF

5. Blue Platforming Snow Day! 01:29:00
By: Travis182 KGG-P28-0CG

6. Scaling Mt. Cradle 01:59:30
By: No Memez for u 5GM-64R-T7G

7. Ancient Pyramids Treasure 02:13:45
By: GmemasterX RP2-GQH-TYG

8. Prince of Precision 02:47:00
By: Afootball MYM-G77-GRF

9. Shellshockers 03:00:45
By: 5003erX HY2-YFS-S3G

10. Seesaw Platforming Precision 1 03:14:45
By: zzzutroy HFQ-5QL-8GF

11. On Off Switch Coin Challenge 03:25:45
By: MagnetsAreFun PVK-XJ9-62H

12. Rock Solid 03:32:30
By: Matte_SMM MYM-VW6-0NG

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

There’s a new ninji speedrun up. I was able to get a 35.5 but there’s some room for improvement. The piranha creeper section is really annoying.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This thread still exists and people periodically post in it! Awesome.

I just got this game about a week and a half ago, and have already made 4 levels.

Mush Top Rush (SP, SMB3)
-My first ever Mario Maker level. Based on feedback, I feel I should upload a revision that is more friendly to speed runs:

I am currently working on a fairly short multiplayer vs. puzzle level in SMW tiles. I'll likely upload it this morning. My next single player map, I guess, should be a NSMB skinned one. I'm just really partial to the NES Marios.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 14, 2021

mektarian
Mar 21, 2005

Terrapin Tower
YB5-HL7-PJF
This is an homage to Bowser's Castle in Super Mario World. It has eight themed floors and is mostly a vertical level.
Unlike Bowser's Castle there is no Bowser fight and you have to do all eight rooms. :colbert:

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

J-Spot posted:

There’s a new ninji speedrun up. I was able to get a 35.5 but there’s some room for improvement. The piranha creeper section is really annoying.

this is the first Ninji i've tried. turns out I found this level with the cat suit incredibly addicting, and i ended up grinding for like 3-4 hours over the last 2 days. 32.818 is my best time for now. i think i can get in the low 32's, but these jumps are starting to get pretty precise. the plant part is hard, and i feel like im really sub-optimal at the part right after the key. not really sure how i should be jumping there.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hey Prowler! Yep, it's a small-but-dedicated community here throwing together levels and whatnot. It's a pretty good bunch :).

Oh, and here's the level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

1. Mush Top Rush
By: Prowler CP9-56M-DJF

2. Notable Mysteries
By: Sam Faust K8P-83F-12H

3. Cavern Collapse
By: Prowler R5B-N36-HJF

4. Powerful Perseverance
By: Sam Faust KNY-5W4-4PG

5. Terrapin Tower
By: Mektarian YB5-HL7-PJF

6. Avalanche in the Redhorn Pass
by: SavingPrivateBob HMM-6GR-J5G

7. Purp World 1-3: It's Full of Stars
By: I am Purp KLX-HSN-72H

8. Platforms, Claws, and Donuts
By: Bill0405 RPS-71K-3PG

9. Elfcap Desert Temple
By: Sl0burrito RW9-G3S-3VF

10. Lavice Island - Dragon Dock 4-5
By: MetaKnight023 3R7-8KV-4MF

11. Pokey Passage
By: Flyercomet 5XQ-SQ7-6KG

12. Speed Mario 1-1
By: Marorr HT2-X0V-DPF

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I'll be live in 15 minutes with some Mario Maker!

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay
Y'all are so much faster than me in Ninja Speed Run. I'm still trying to break 37s.

Also, I agree that this is a pretty good lil' mario maker community. Good overall level quality, plenty of folks willing to try your stages (70% of my likes are from goons, godbless), varied feedback from different types of players, and as someone who mostly plays as an excuse to doodle, I appreciate how OneTimeMan creates a list for his streams that make it easier to knock out a bunch of stages all at once.

mektarian posted:

Terrapin Tower
YB5-HL7-PJF

This is a long level, but I liked it. Nice separation of themes for each part of the tower, good clean platforming at each step, and good level hygiene (fair checkpoints, good spread of power-ups, and one-ups at the ax for endless folks). Nice job!

Prowler posted:

Mush Top Rush (SP, SMB3)

I liked this one overall. Its a bit cluttered, which is a given with multiple paths, though I liked how falling from a higher area rarely killed me.

Additionally, I played your multiplayer versus levels in single player and though that makes it a little hard to judge they overall seemed pretty good quality. In particular, I cheated and played your puzzle level already and I quite liked it! A very straight forward puzzle sequence that's not too finicky which is ideal when you're in a race situation, and a nice quick boss fight (poor boom boom). Seems great for multiplayer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey. Don't eat that.

First time making a level like this so I hope it's fun!!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

mektarian posted:

Terrapin Tower
YB5-HL7-PJF
This is an homage to Bowser's Castle in Super Mario World. It has eight themed floors and is mostly a vertical level.
Unlike Bowser's Castle there is no Bowser fight and you have to do all eight rooms. :colbert:

This level is great! I like the themed rooms and the balanced design/difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My joycon is drifting like crazy so I'm probably going to send it in real soon. I should probably make a list of thread levels to go through during that downtime so I have something to do with my pro controller :v: