Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

tripwood posted:

I dunno, I am a huge SS2 fan and it ticked off a lot of good boxes for me.

*Survival in a spaceship where the enemies outclass you and you have low ammo
*Good monster AI that encourages stealth, they are far from dumb and react quickly
*Superb audio that encourages you to listen to the enemies patrolling around
*If you start to panic and run around screaming, you're probably going to die

It's not a complete game like SS2 and the story is barely there, but the gameplay is very solid in its genre.
There are certainly some similarities, but I personally think it's mostly in the aesthetic, they're not really all that much alike when you look at them as games. System Shock 2 is an RPG/FPS hybrid set in a complex and hand-crafted open world full of secrets and a wide range of things to find and do. Void Bastards, on the other hand, is fundamentally a fairly standard FPS-flavoured roguelite and moment-to-moment it mostly plays that way, too.

I just wouldn't recommend the game on the basis that it's like System Shock 2, is all I mean to say. I don't really think they have all that much in common, when you get right down to it, or at least a lot less than it has in common with a game like (for example) Barony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Cowcaster posted:

things that are better than videogames

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

ok but what if you DON'T have a gaming PC?

You rang? This is me. I don't have a console or a gaming gpu, but I have a PC that I use to animate and write.

I pulled up Skyrim and Destiny 2. My girlfriend tried out D2 on her laptop. Both games ran super smooth and looked great. I was pretty amazed by the entire thing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Would I pay 5 dollars a month to play Slay the Spire on the toilet? Yeah probably.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

bamhand posted:

Would I pay 5 dollars a month to play Slay the Spire on the toilet? Yeah probably.

Slay the spire will get a mobile release, so you might have to pay 10bux once for poop slay the spire.

It is also on switch and it owns there.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I was finally convinced I should play Kentucky Route Zero soon. Awesome! I have it cause of Twitch Prime... gently caress, it's only Acts 1-4 :(

I guess I get to rebuy it on Steam?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Irritated Goat posted:

I was finally convinced I should play Kentucky Route Zero soon. Awesome! I have it cause of Twitch Prime... gently caress, it's only Acts 1-4 :(

I guess I get to rebuy it on Steam?

They pushed out updates to all other platforms that included Act V, if you're not seeing it have you tried re-downloading?

They don't charge separately for acts on the PC so it would be weird to only have up to Act IV

Edit:
https://twitter.com/cardboardcompy/status/1221880962608521221

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They pushed out updates to all other platforms that included Act V, if you're not seeing it have you tried re-downloading?

They don't charge separately for acts on the PC so it would be weird to only have up to Act IV

Edit:
https://twitter.com/cardboardcompy/status/1221880962608521221

Sweet! I could only find a mention of when it was released. Fantastic!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

lordfrikk posted:

Has anyone played the Wasteland remaster? Is it not complete poo poo?

The trailer was awful, but it just showed up on Gamepass, so I guess I'll give it a spin.

Edit: On the 25th, when it releases. I kinda hate how you can't tell that something's pre-release from the Xbox app's home page.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 5, 2020

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Quote is not edit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

atholbrose posted:

The trailer was awful, but it just showed up on Gamepass, so I guess I'll give it a spin.

I’ll give it a shot too. Can’t be worse than Wasteland 2.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Azran posted:

I really like short, replayable games like Into the Breach, Dungeon of the Endless, FTL or Invisible Inc where you unlock more characters/equipment as you go on, but I haven't had much fun with traditional roguelikes (mostly because most of them have kinda ugly UIs and that's a major bummer for me). Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Any ideas?

Slay the spire. Also, for people who already have it, the 4th character was added recently.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
poo poo I didn't know there was even a THIRD! character

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ll give it a shot too. Can’t be worse than Wasteland 2.

I thought W2 was OK but I had much more time back then so OK probably doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've never been the biggest Sonic fan, so I feel pretty comfortable saying that Sonic Mania is great for fans of the franchise, but won't change anyone else's mind.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight

5. Sonic Mania

Has there been a series that’s had a harder time moving forward than Sonic? The storied blue hedgehog was a staple of the early console generations, but over time seemed to amass more misses than hits. SEGA never seems to quite know what to do with the poor guy and his pals, forever missing that spark that made the originals so memorable. Sonic Mania feels like a direct response to that, as if someone just threw their hands up and said Fine, we’ll just do the originals over! It’s a celebration of what people remember best about Sonic in a way none of the other games in the series have been, and assuming that you really, really want more of OG Sonic, this is about as good as it gets.

The stories were never a huge feature of the older Sonic games, and I wouldn’t really say the plot is here, either. Eggman’s back to screwing everything up in Sonic’s technicolor world, but this time he’s got some more autonomous robot helpers and a new gem that’s way more chaotic than the Chaos Emeralds. This ominous pink bauble can send Sonic and friends all the way back to their adventures of yore, clear to the original Green Hills and Chemical Plants you remember from your youth. But Sonic’s come a long way since then, and a mess of his new tricks have made the jump as well, including elemental shields and bonus zones from all over his adventures. There are new levels to explore and wild new bosses to battle as well, assuming you can survive this adventure through the ages.

Like I said, the folks behind Sonic Mania seemed so tired of new titles messing up the classic formula, they copy/pasted whole chunks of the thing from the past. Some of these levels aren’t just homages to the classics, they are the classics, right down to the shortcuts and secret areas you have burned into your lizard brain. There is new stuff, of course, like modern powerups and a huge mish-mash of bonus zones to hunt emeralds and medals in. And the bosses are a definite highlight, featuring some of the most creative fights the franchise has ever offered. Some of them go so far as to bend genres, which is a welcome sight after fighting your way through another massive, sprawling level of platforming.

It’s a big game, with lots of levels and lots of love crammed into them. Clearly the people that made this wanted to conjure up everything good about the original games, and they did just that, almost to a fault. Bringing back old levels and enemies with such devotion also brings back what was bad about them, because the old Sonic games were by no means perfect. Any frustrations you might have faced back in the day, including confusing level layouts, blind runs into poorly-placed enemies, and awkward platforming breaking up the more fun high-speed segments, can all be found here. If you tapped out at the original Flying Battery there’s nothing that’s going to stop you from tapping out again.

The whole thing reminds me a little of Timespinner, the charming pixel art metroidvania that took its inspiration wholesale from Symphony of the Night. It wanted to be Symphony so badly that it took the good and the bad from it, without really iterating on the design. Sonic Mania is essentially that, a game that wants to be one of the original Sonics so badly that it copies the strengths and the weaknesses. Levels are enormous sprawls of ledges, springs, and conveyances, split roughly between awkward platforming and the fun go-fast parts. Unless telegraphed with some kind of track or launcher, you can never be sure if it’s safe to get up to speed, or if you’re going to go hurtling into an off-screen enemy. And while some of the bosses are real creative treats, others sport wonky physics and infuriating mechanics, the helicopter chase chief among them.

There’s no question that Sonic Mania is made for the long-time fans of the franchise, so my only question is if it can convince newcomers. Hell, I played big chunks of the original trilogy and I’m not sold on wanting more of that. If you do, it looks and sounds as good as 2D Sonic ever did, and is crammed to bursting with classic levels and creative new challenges. It’s a good mix of old and new, even if the notions stay firmly rooted in the old, and something that should serve as a cornerstone of any Sonic collection.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://store.steampowered.com/app/474220/Soldat_2/

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lost fingat playing Soldat

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:getin:
Hook this poo poo up to my veins

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah Noita is really loving good too, though as noted your entire inventory resets every time you die and it is pretty reliant on the particular gameworld you get giving you access to the right combination of things to make real progress.

This is true when you’re first starting out, but I’ve been watching some of the more experienced players stream it and they can basically beat the game most times through a combination of having Gotten Good and being able to cobble any pile of garbage into a god wand (or knowing to go hit up the optional bosses when necessary).

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Noita is definitely a very skill-based game. There's a wide variety of spells and abilities that you can find and just knowing when and where it does you the most good can make up for a fairly lousy load-out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I really hope Noita does a controls/inventory/UI pass real soon, because I find it almost unplayable trying to get into it and fightng the controls. At least with a Controller, maybe it's better on M+K

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Substantially. Noita is just not a game that is really meant for playing it with a controller. You can, but I can't imagine that the devs ever really intended for you do so. Fine and precise aiming are just too central to the game for that. If you don't use a mouse you're handicapping yourself massively, like in one of the more PC-centric FPS games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's not a controller game imo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the 3rd and 4th are both really cool and different. definitely give them a shot

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

tripwood posted:

I dunno, I am a huge SS2 fan and it ticked off a lot of good boxes for me.

*Survival in a spaceship where the enemies outclass you and you have low ammo
*Good monster AI that encourages stealth, they are far from dumb and react quickly
*Superb audio that encourages you to listen to the enemies patrolling around
*If you start to panic and run around screaming, you're probably going to die

The audio in System Shock 2 was amazing, and is probably the thing that makes me love the game the most. The processing they did on Shodan's voice was just perfect.

I started playing Kentucky Route Zero and am up to Act 3 or something. Sometimes it feels like an adventure game and other times like some sort of visual novel. I don't really know if I'm just stumbling through it by luck or actually making the right choices. It's in that weird zone where I don't know if I can recommend it to someone or not.
But it's a good one to stream to my TV so that helps.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cardiovorax posted:

Substantially. Noita is just not a game that is really meant for playing it with a controller. You can, but I can't imagine that the devs ever really intended for you do so. Fine and precise aiming are just too central to the game for that. If you don't use a mouse you're handicapping yourself massively, like in one of the more PC-centric FPS games.

One of the best players out there always plays on controller (he had the first sub 3 minute speed run) but I don’t know how he does it. I’m garbage at Noita on controller versus M+KB

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Does that mean you haven't defeated the 4th boss either? Gotta get on that!

Some people seem excited Spellforce 3 is on sale, how is it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

as a reference steam programmers, if you want to personalise the storefront more then maybe have it check that i haven't already set all the recommended games of a steam curator to ignored before telling me that i might be interested in their game opinions. because i'm obviously not.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ghostlight posted:

as a reference steam programmers, if you want to personalise the storefront more then maybe have it check that i haven't already set all the recommended games of a steam curator to ignored before telling me that i might be interested in their game opinions. because i'm obviously not.

I had one the other day where it showed me a daily deal on something in my cart. They even put up a green marker (like the white one for in wishlist and blue for in library) to highlight that fact.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gromit posted:

The audio in System Shock 2 was amazing, and is probably the thing that makes me love the game the most. The processing they did on Shodan's voice was just perfect.

I started playing Kentucky Route Zero and am up to Act 3 or something. Sometimes it feels like an adventure game and other times like some sort of visual novel. I don't really know if I'm just stumbling through it by luck or actually making the right choices. It's in that weird zone where I don't know if I can recommend it to someone or not.
But it's a good one to stream to my TV so that helps.

You will never know if you made the right choices. Just like in real life.

(There are no bad choices though, gameplay wise. Nothing you do will stop you from progressing in the story)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Does that mean you haven't defeated the 4th boss either? Gotta get on that!

Some people seem excited Spellforce 3 is on sale, how is it?

Rad. So are the other Spellforce games, if very aged.

Spellforce 1 is general eurojank RPG with psuedo card collecting to get new units for the RTS sections. It's also got a trippy storyline everyone should experience at least once.

Spellforce 2 is...Warcraft 4 mixed with old Bioware, if it was made on half the budget by Russians who made one of the characters a bikini elf. Everyone else wears full clothing so ????. Its legit a favorite of mine and I go back to it every few years.

I'm phone posting so I can go into more detail later when I get home if people want. To give an example of why Spellforce is cool.

You've got to assassinate this king. You choose which heroes are going to do it, and they have to RPG into a Castle then RPG through it.

The other heroes are outside in an RTS base building an army to hold off the kings army which is coming to save him. These two things are happening at the same time.

Spellforce 3 is amazing. It's got tons of choices/consequences in the campaign, good quests, and fairly deep character building. It's no modern RPG, but it hits the itch.

On top of that is a RTS game where you are playing basically Warcraft 4 or 5.

With the hubbub around Reforged, Spellforce 3 really feels like the Warcraft 4 people wanted. Not as polished obviously, but hits the marks.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

How come none of y'all told me I could use the Steam Link app to play my games on a completely different network than my PC? I thought they'd both have to be one the same wifi/wired connection but apparently that's not the case and I can play my games on my phone on my work wifi. I'm gunna need to start bringing my new bluetooth controller with me and just game on my lunch break.

Edit: You know, now that I'm thinking about it, is there any way to run Steam Link through a thumb drive or a web browser? I love that I can play remotely on my phone, but if I could play remotely on my work PC without downloading anything to it that would be even better. I figure the answer's probably no, but it never hurts to ask.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 6, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

You will never know if you made the right choices. Just like in real life.

(There are no bad choices though, gameplay wise. Nothing you do will stop you from progressing in the story)

the only "bad choice" i can think of was more of a humorous "i don't know what i expected" sort of thing

during act 4, you can choose to follow shannon and conway into a museum, which gives you a lengthy sequence where characters watching the tape footage drop some bombshells about the family conway was staying with before his alcoholism got out of hand. or, you can stay with the dogs on the boat, which gives you...a thirty-second slow pan of the dogs on the boat, followed by the narrator going "yup, those are dogs on a boat. they're pretty chill"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Soysaucebeast posted:

How come none of y'all told me I could use the Steam Link app to play my games on a completely different network than my PC? I thought they'd both have to be one the same wifi/wired connection but apparently that's not the case and I can play my games on my phone on my work wifi. I'm gunna need to start bringing my new bluetooth controller with me and just game on my lunch break.

Edit: You know, now that I'm thinking about it, is there any way to run Steam Link through a thumb drive or a web browser? I love that I can play remotely on my phone, but if I could play remotely on my work PC without downloading anything to it that would be even better. I figure the answer's probably no, but it never hurts to ask.

Some Steam games don’t require the client to launch, so you could throw the game folder on a flash drive and go to town. I’ve only ever done this with Caves of Qud, but anything from this list should work: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

You can remotely access your machine through a browser with the Chrome remote app and other similar programs, but I can’t imagine it would be very smooth.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Some Steam games don’t require the client to launch, so you could throw the game folder on a flash drive and go to town. I’ve only ever done this with Caves of Qud, but anything from this list should work: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

You can remotely access your machine through a browser with the Chrome remote app and other similar programs, but I can’t imagine it would be very smooth.

The Chrome Remote App is a no go because I'm sure I'm not even allowed to download the chrome extension on my work computer. That list of DRM-Free games has a bunch that I Was looking to play though and I might go that route. Thanks for the heads up!

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So I've been playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice now, and I really need to vent on something:

Who is the insane dev who actually made a maze which teleports you and/or the levels without any warnings/effects whatsoever? Apparently I've been going round and round in circles, and I only discovered it because the lorestone repeats for several times, and when you are given a branching path:

Left
Right

The correct path is actually to turn around & go back to the previous room. How does that even makes sense?

And almost to the end, if you go to left instead of right, you are again teleported back almost to the start of the maze, again with no indications whatsoever other than the rooms felt familiar.

Only after so much wandering around with the freaking low movement speed because apparently you can't run while carrying a torch, I discovered the secret is the drat shield pattern.

Thankfully the puzzles after that are a little bit more sane, and the combat felt really good in this game especially when you discover its huge depth. Just check out the combat page at Gamefaqs, the combat is really, really good.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

...it's literally a game about psychosis.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The answer to literally any question about Hellblade's design choices is "to try and make neurotypical people experience a little of what people who suffer from severe psychosis deal with every day."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The other answer to any question about its design choices is "to pad out a 4-hour game into a 7 hour one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol at calling the design of Hellblade "insane" as an insult