Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

What is the chances of coronoa virus in Japan?

There's a chance it turns into a global pandemic and hits everywhere. Or it might just burn out in short order. Nobody is sure.

I have a tripped scheduled for four weeks from now, and I haven't cancelled anything yet, though. Then again, I'm a relatively healthy middle-aged dude, so it's just not that scary; might be a different story if I were immuno-compromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stumbling Block posted:

So with what's happening in China at the moment, my friend who just got back from Nogoya and Tokyo noticed that there seem to be a distinct lack of the usual mass of chinese tourists in the usual tourist traps.
Anyone else seeing this?

Wow, I missed the "with" and wanted to ask you what massive boulder you've been under.

Anyway, a lot of countries have suspended flights to China, etc. With how long (relatively) it's been going on, I'm not surprised, especially as tour groups naturally put you in contact with a lot of people from various regions of China - basically the last thing you want to do.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Thanatosian posted:

There's a chance it turns into a global pandemic and hits everywhere. Or it might just burn out in short order. Nobody is sure.

I have a tripped scheduled for four weeks from now, and I haven't cancelled anything yet, though. Then again, I'm a relatively healthy middle-aged dude, so it's just not that scary; might be a different story if I were immuno-compromised.

To.. China or Japan? I assume Japan? For Japan I think it's fine.

The scary thing with this strain isn't that it's so dangerous per se, but with a 2 week incubation period, that's a lot of time spent not knowing that you've been infected while spreading it to everyone you (and then they) know. Or don't know.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japan is fine, there have been a handful of cases but they’re also keeping a whole goddamn cruise ship isolated off of Yokohama to make sure it doesn’t spread.

It’s a variety of the flu, just wash your hands and don’t get coughed on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

To.. China or Japan? I assume Japan? For Japan I think it's fine.

The scary thing with this strain isn't that it's so dangerous per se, but with a 2 week incubation period, that's a lot of time spent not knowing that you've been infected while spreading it to everyone you (and then they) know. Or don't know.
China. Wuhan province. Why, you think that's a problem? :P

Yeah, a trip to Japan. And I suppose that is the scary thing. But I figure in four weeks it'll either be over or raging; if it's over, I won't need to worry about it, and if it's raging, one more person isn't really going to matter.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

It’s a variety of the flu, just wash your hands and don’t get coughed on.

It's not the flu at all. It's a mild cold that gives you pneumonia, which is when your lungs fill with fluid and then maybe you suffocate to death.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Stumbling Block posted:

So with what's happening in China at the moment, my friend who just got back from Nogoya and Tokyo noticed that there seem to be a distinct lack of the usual mass of chinese tourists in the usual tourist traps.
Anyone else seeing this?

Didn’t they cut off flights from China? At least I think that’s what they were saying on the news.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
From what I heard, a lot of countries didn't stop their airlines to and from China until recently when the WHO finally went, "welp...".

Basically my friend did say alot of the places like Akihabara is not as packed as it usually is and since he's kinda fluent in mandarin he didn't hear anyone using that around the past week he was there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank you for the info. My main concern is if there was an outbreak then I would probably be quarantined or something and wouldn't know when I'd be able to go back to work.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My parents are coming next week, transferring in Taiwan. I'm extra glad that Taiwan is Not China so their flights won't get b& (yet).

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hope they're ok. Eva airlines is a good airline but Taiwan is currently not a happy country.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

peanut posted:

My parents are coming next week, transferring in Taiwan. I'm extra glad that Taiwan is Not China so their flights won't get b& (yet).

Mom and aunt just canceled their trip out here. They were supposed to arrive on Monday.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

I am planning an escape as we speak.

Cowards. Ok, good call.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 6, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Japan for some reason hasn't banned flights from China yet, in fact, I am planning an escape as we speak.

e: Chinese nationals cannot take any tho, so they are cheap (while they exist).

They only lettin foreigners leave atm.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 6, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Their transfer is only 1 hour and that route only has 1 flight a day x____x

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

Japan for some reason hasn't banned flights from China yet, in fact, I am planning an escape as we speak.

e: Chinese nationals cannot take any tho, so they are cheap (while they exist).

They only lettin foreigners leave atm.

Woah that actually kinda owns. Get in before they put up a quarantine.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Woah that actually kinda owns. Get in before they put up a quarantine.

as of right now only Australia, NZ, USA, Philippines and Taiwan (as of tomorrow, my original plan home died due to this lol) are banning everyone who's been in China recently, save citizens. Most places will take you it's just the flights existing that pose an issue.

Friend flew into PVG yesterday and said it was a ghost town, people leaving had said the same.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

as of right now only Australia, NZ, USA, Philippines and Taiwan (as of tomorrow, my original plan home died due to this lol) are banning everyone who's been in China recently, save citizens. Most places will take you it's just the flights existing that pose an issue.

Friend flew into PVG yesterday and said it was a ghost town, people leaving had said the same.

glad to hear you're getting out. I have one friend who is a moron who left his wife and three kids in Connecticut to go back to China yesterday but had trouble getting flights back, so he's training from CT to NYC, then JFK to Manila, to Taipei, then to HK, then going to walk into Shenzhen, and then train it to Nanjing. all to get back to his apartment, where he won't have work for like a month because everything is closed due to a virus outbreak.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm headed for Tokyo in 3 weeks. I'm taking my chances. I used to be really susceptible to severe lung infections whenever I caught a cold which I didn't realize was related to Lyme and/or Bartonella and/or Babesia until I was diagnosed and treated for those, which then cured my asthma and I just get regular colds now.

I had joked with a coworker a couple months ago that maybe something will happen and I'll end up trapped there and not have to come home to my lovely job. Maybe it'll come true. All I know for sure is if my family knew I was going over there, they would be endlessly screaming at me about how I'm a loving idiot and letting myself die means I don't care about them. Fortunately I don't speak to them and can enjoy my excitement for my trip in peace.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm headed for Tokyo in 3 weeks. I'm taking my chances. I used to be really susceptible to severe lung infections whenever I caught a cold which I didn't realize was related to Lyme and/or Bartonella and/or Babesia until I was diagnosed and treated for those, which then cured my asthma and I just get regular colds now.

I had joked with a coworker a couple months ago that maybe something will happen and I'll end up trapped there and not have to come home to my lovely job. Maybe it'll come true. All I know for sure is if my family knew I was going over there, they would be endlessly screaming at me about how I'm a loving idiot and letting myself die means I don't care about them. Fortunately I don't speak to them and can enjoy my excitement for my trip in peace.

Tokyo is fine, mate

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Well, it's no worse than anywhere in America as far as we know right now.

Everything could change fast.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

You may find this forum helpful when you need to face the reality that Japan is just another loving temporary escape from the living hell that is your lovely job and family.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

You may find this forum helpful when you need to face the reality that Japan is just another loving temporary escape from the living hell that is your lovely job and family.
Please don't mock my temporary escape, TIA.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
A temporary escape can be very useful, just to recenter and examine the fact that the world is full of possibilities. Or you might just end up shuttling between work and your hotel room texting your lovely family. You never know!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Just over a week until my trip and I'm getting super stoked. Excited to wander the streets drinking strong zero chuhi again.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Can anyone recommend bilingual kids shows? I don't mean kids shows that have separate Japanese and English versions, I mean programs that actually try to teach both. Season 4 of word party attempts this, except it's for English and Mandarin.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

… no lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

… no lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

… no lol

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
sounds like a ripe market

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a sesame allergy and am traveling to japan soon. any recs for dealing with that? ...i know enough of the j alphabet so far to read ごま but thats about it if that helps

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I've half planned and discarded a few different plans to visit Japan this year so far, but how does spending 1 week in Kumano sound to folks? I like hiking more than wandering around shopping districts in Tokyo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sesame - Make a little card like this:

I am allergic to sesame (white and black sesame).
 Sesame oil, ground sesame, and whole sesame are strictly prohibited.
 ごまアレルギーです。(白ごま、黒ごま)
 ごま油・すりごま・入りごまなどは厳禁です。

They might ask about other nuts so you can use this too:

Peanuts, cashews, soy and other nuts are OK.
 ピーナッツ・カシューナッツ・大豆などはOKです。

Kumano - Sure just go for it.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

peanut posted:

Sesame - Make a little card like this:

I am allergic to sesame (white and black sesame).
 Sesame oil, ground sesame, and whole sesame are strictly prohibited.
 ごまアレルギーです。(白ごま、黒ごま)
 ごま油・すりごま・入りごまなどは厳禁です。

They might ask about other nuts so you can use this too:

Peanuts, cashews, soy and other nuts are OK.
 ピーナッツ・カシューナッツ・大豆などはOKです。

Kumano - Sure just go for it.

awesome I will do that, thanks so much!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
kumano owns, especially if you like hills and hot springs.

highly recommend

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I'm going on a really last minute trip to visit my brother in Japan. Have 3 nights in karuizawa and then planning 3 nights in Shibuya - any recommendations for where to stay and things to do in Shibuya? I know there's heaps but there's too much to choose!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Walk across the street and look at the dog statue.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

fliptophead posted:

I'm going on a really last minute trip to visit my brother in Japan. Have 3 nights in karuizawa and then planning 3 nights in Shibuya - any recommendations for where to stay and things to do in Shibuya? I know there's heaps but there's too much to choose!!

Remember you don't need to limit yourself to "Shibuya" because it's very central and the whole center of the city is close. Also you're liable to pay a bit of a premium for being in Shibuya as it's so central so don't feel like it's a must to stay there.

Shibuya itself is good for nightlife, seeing what a very busy part of the largest metropolitan area in the world is, and shopping kinda? We need a better idea of what you want to do.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

Remember you don't need to limit yourself to "Shibuya" because it's very central and the whole center of the city is close. Also you're liable to pay a bit of a premium for being in Shibuya as it's so central so don't feel like it's a must to stay there.

Shibuya itself is good for nightlife, seeing what a very busy part of the largest metropolitan area in the world is, and shopping kinda? We need a better idea of what you want to do.

Yeah my brother suggested I go there because it was fairly central. I'm ok with the cost and it's my first time there so really just keen to explore. I want to use the train to get out and explore other areas during the day and probably do things in the evening around Shibuya. I'd normally do a walking food tour in other cities which I find gives a good overview of the area and I can see things I want to look at further along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I've got 3 days in Tokyo coming up in April, staying in Shinjuku at the Hilton. Trying to eat at all of the Michelin spots and whatever ramen I can fit in my belly.

Anything else I must see/do as a first timer? Aside from AMEX/Hilton concierge is there any other way to get a reservation at some of these spots that book up 2 months in advance?