Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You're playing Pearl Jam lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

You're playing Pearl Jam lmao

Lmao

I’m gonna try turning on the table’s phono preamp and using another RCA connector. Maybe it’s just the Beomaster’s phono input. I wish I had something else to hook up to it, but I don’t have anything else that uses RCA.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jascum posted:

Lmao

I’m gonna try turning on the table’s phono preamp and using another RCA connector. Maybe it’s just the Beomaster’s phono input. I wish I had something else to hook up to it, but I don’t have anything else that uses RCA.

Do you have a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable and a smartphone?

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you have a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable and a smartphone?

I don’t have that cable, but I can grab tomorrow. Thanks, that’s a good idea!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Be careful with blowing something up/out running line-level into a Phono input. Start the phone volume at zero and incrementally work your way up. Really that’s good policy for testing any RCA input regardless of signal.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Be careful with blowing something up/out running line-level into a Phono input. Start the phone volume at zero and incrementally work your way up. Really that’s good policy for testing any RCA input regardless of signal.

I got it to work by turning on the table’s preamp and connecting it to the tape input. Sounds great!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Decided I’d treat myself and upgraded my preamp to a Schiit Mani and now my Grado Black sounds bad and I’m going insane because none of my adjustments are fixing it so i guess i have to upgrade that now!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve always been suspicious of Schiit just because it seems like nobody ever says their stuff is “ok,” either that it’s amazing or it sucks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I would buy so much Schiit stuff if they’d put actually accessible and usable power switches on it. If they really want the Vidar/Saga/Freya to compete with integrated amps and receivers then they need to go farther in matching the convenience of integrateds and receivers. That means power/standby switches and quality (not blister button) remotes. Raise prices by $25-$50 if you have to.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I had a bifrost/saga/vidar combo for a while. The vidar is the single worst amp I’ve ever dealt with. Terrible transformer hum as well as a 60 hz hum though the speakers. The ergonomics of their gear also got annoying.

I sold it all and bought a Parasound P6 and A23+. It cost a good bit more, but I’ve had zero issues with them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I had a bifrost/saga/vidar combo for a while. The vidar is the single worst amp I’ve ever dealt with. Terrible transformer hum as well as a 60 hz hum though the speakers. The ergonomics of their gear also got annoying.

I sold it all and bought a Parasound P6 and A23+. It cost a good bit more, but I’ve had zero issues with them.

That’s a shame, everyone has the Vidar as the cheapest/best thing that’ll run Maggies well. And the Saga/Freya scratch an audio-magpie I’ll-have-one-of-each itch that nothing else on the market really hits.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

What made it more frustrating was that it was consistent across 2 different amps. The first one they sent me got recalled due to a potential issue, and the new one they sent had the same problems.

That said, I haven't seen many people online who have had the same problems that I did. You could always order one and return it if it doesn't work out. The 5% restocking fee is pretty reasonable. I've got a friend who has a Freya in his 2nd system (dude has too much money and is constantly buying new gear just to try it) and it's been great for him. I've just found that for me things like 12v triggers, tone controls, and remote power buttons matter a good bit.

The amps look better in black.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 6, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is it normal to have this much background noise in the lead-in and lead-out?

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1216797758084075520

You may have to turn the volume up a bit, but it's quite noticeable. I didn't notice it with the old stylus which is why I'm asking.

I did clean the stylus with that adorable little mini-toothbrush first.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Just got my SX-535 back from my uncle, who's had it for about a year for an overhaul and resto. I don't think this thing has had working lights since sometime in 2004.

Still sounds freakin amazing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

actionjackson posted:

Is it normal to have this much background noise in the lead-in and lead-out?

That depends on how the record has been treated. The lead-in groove is where the stylus is dropped, so it sees the most wear. People who cue manually or use cheap turntables with undamped cueing mechanisms are especially likely to cause it.

And of course there's no music playing to mask the noise, so even just the normal vinyl background noise is more apparent. Some vinyl (especially if reground vinyl was used) is just noisier.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, thanks for the info!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have been using my Marantz Stack quite a bit since I got the matching 6300 turntable.

I decided to put a bit of work into it.

Got a 2nd headshell for the 6300 and properly aligned the Shure V15V-MR cart and replaced the headshell wires. Setup a cheaper ortofon cart in the 2nd headshell for beater records because the Shure cart needles are super expensive. Balanced the shure cart with a digital scale and got it to 1.5g exactly. Turns out the 1.0 g I had set it for was actually too low if you are using the stabilizer/brush as it exerts .5 g of upwards force so you need to use 1.5 to counter that and get the 1g recommended force for the cart.

I replaced the fan in my 510Ms cooling tunnel the original 120v roton was discontinued and super expensive so I found a computer fan on amazon that slightly exceeds the OEM specs and swapped it in. So much better now that I can't hear the dying fan bearings rattling when the amp is on.

My 150 had a piece of wire for an fm antenna so I picked up a cheap dipole and it's pulling in stations much better now.

My 3200 was a bit scratchy I thought I had cleaned it a few years back but apparently I was thinking of a different piece of Marantz gear cuz once I got it out it was clear that it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Got all the controls cleaned with deoxit and everything sounds perfect now.

I did have one nagging issue. My hifi rack has 5 spaces for gear and one had an ugly marantz 5 disc changer on it. Also my room needed a bit more blue light so I pulled a weird bit of Marantz kit out of the pile.

A 2440 Quad Adapter Intergrated Stereo amp.

Essentially a 2 channel integrated amp with a quad adapter that allows you to add rear channels and a quad decoder to a 2 channel system. Took quite a bit of cleaning as it has been sitting since I bought it close to 20 years ago and likely wasn't being used much then.

Works great now but is missing the SQ decoder addon box and I kind of want to buy the joystick wired remote for it now and pretend I'm at a pink floyd concert.

Now the whole corner of the room has a blue glow from all the VU meters.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

my turn in the barrel posted:

I have been using my Marantz Stack quite a bit since I got the matching 6300 turntable.

I decided to put a bit of work into it.

Got a 2nd headshell for the 6300 and properly aligned the Shure V15V-MR cart and replaced the headshell wires. Setup a cheaper ortofon cart in the 2nd headshell for beater records because the Shure cart needles are super expensive. Balanced the shure cart with a digital scale and got it to 1.5g exactly. Turns out the 1.0 g I had set it for was actually too low if you are using the stabilizer/brush as it exerts .5 g of upwards force so you need to use 1.5 to counter that and get the 1g recommended force for the cart.

I replaced the fan in my 510Ms cooling tunnel the original 120v roton was discontinued and super expensive so I found a computer fan on amazon that slightly exceeds the OEM specs and swapped it in. So much better now that I can't hear the dying fan bearings rattling when the amp is on.

My 150 had a piece of wire for an fm antenna so I picked up a cheap dipole and it's pulling in stations much better now.

My 3200 was a bit scratchy I thought I had cleaned it a few years back but apparently I was thinking of a different piece of Marantz gear cuz once I got it out it was clear that it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Got all the controls cleaned with deoxit and everything sounds perfect now.

I did have one nagging issue. My hifi rack has 5 spaces for gear and one had an ugly marantz 5 disc changer on it. Also my room needed a bit more blue light so I pulled a weird bit of Marantz kit out of the pile.

A 2440 Quad Adapter Intergrated Stereo amp.

Essentially a 2 channel integrated amp with a quad adapter that allows you to add rear channels and a quad decoder to a 2 channel system. Took quite a bit of cleaning as it has been sitting since I bought it close to 20 years ago and likely wasn't being used much then.

Works great now but is missing the SQ decoder addon box and I kind of want to buy the joystick wired remote for it now and pretend I'm at a pink floyd concert.

Now the whole corner of the room has a blue glow from all the VU meters.

What a beautiful setup!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I just ordered a pair of Revel F208s.

This is going to be loud and fun.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. Hope this is the right place for some tech support:

The playback from my Audio Technica AT-LP60 is fast, but not in a "set to the wrong RPM" kind of way. One test of a song that should be 4:30 long had it ending in about 4:24 at a slightly higher pitch than normal.

If it were running slow, I'd be thinking that a belt deteriorated and went a bit slack, but since it's fast... maybe the belt has slipped instead?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. Hope this is the right place for some tech support:

The playback from my Audio Technica AT-LP60 is fast, but not in a "set to the wrong RPM" kind of way. One test of a song that should be 4:30 long had it ending in about 4:24 at a slightly higher pitch than normal.

If it were running slow, I'd be thinking that a belt deteriorated and went a bit slack, but since it's fast... maybe the belt has slipped instead?

There's speed adjustments on the LP60. It's not as easy as a turntable with a pitch adjustment, but you should be able to dial it in. Use a printed strobe disc, or I think there are phone apps where you literally set your phone on the platter to test the speed.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

wa27 posted:

There's speed adjustments on the LP60. It's not as easy as a turntable with a pitch adjustment, but you should be able to dial it in. Use a printed strobe disc, or I think there are phone apps where you literally set your phone on the platter to test the speed.

I used one called RPM Speed and Wow for android.

Checked it against my Marantz 6300 and it matched up with the strobe. Checked a few other tables and it worked great for everything. You will want to use a roll of tape to center your phone over the spindle unless you have a platter weight you can use.

Also gives you the wow reading which is handy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks you both -- I'll give that a shot and see what I find/can do about it.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

New old stuff day. It's super good.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

lookslikerain posted:

That looks so good. I had an AIWA mini component stack when I was a kid. Is it considered a sleeper brand today?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

lookslikerain posted:

Color me jealous. I'm in the process of re-belting a Sony that doesn't have nearly that many gratuitous LEDs.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

lookslikerain posted:

Man, there is just something about gear designed with that angular mid 80s design language that really grabs me.

Looks like it was just milled out of a big solid block.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

metaxus posted:

Man, there is just something about gear designed with that angular mid 80s design language that really grabs me.

Looks like it was just milled out of a big solid block.

What was your justification for buying it?

It looks like Star Wars display panels to me.

The AIWA WX 220 Stereo Double Cassette Deck AD-WX220U looks like a piano ate an old computer keyboard.

Jascum fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 6, 2020

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Do I need to justify buying things?

I wanted a 3 head recorder. It's a cool 3 head recorder.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

lookslikerain posted:

Do I need to justify buying things?

I wanted a 3 head recorder. It's a cool 3 head recorder.

Looking cool + being a 3-head is almost the entire checklist for getting a cassette deck, imo.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This is the 2-channel thread, there's no need for justifications

Now go drop $2k on a Nakamichi Dragon!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My nakamichi is just a two head deck. I’m gonna throw it in the garbage when I get home. (I’m unlikely to ever dub to it anyway so I’ll be fine with my silly vaporwave tapes I’m sure).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My nakamichi is a two channel receiver. There’s also a CD player but that’s dead for now

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

A Denon DP-57M and DL-301 Mk2 are headed my way, so I figured I better get this old kit preamp my dad had sorted and working. I suspect the capacitors are failing, it sounds ok for a bit and gets worse as it plays.

My plan is to take it to a well-regraded vintage audio tech and have them replace the caps and change the loading resistors if they’re not already loading the cartridge to 400-500ish ohms.

It sounded good to me as a kid, and holy gently caress are good MC preamps expensive, so here’s to hoping this will satisfy me. Speakers are Magnepan .7 so I suspect any inadequacy will be apparent. My NAD 116 preamp’s MC section will have to do while this gets repaired but I’m not expecting the world - it (and most reasonably priced MC preamps) only provide 100ohm loading.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Keret posted:

So, when it rains it pours, as they say. I've suddenly ended up with quite a lot of audio equipment in my little apartment.

I went ahead with the swap of my Sonos for the JBL 4412A pair and the Yamaha receiver. They're heavy as gently caress, but drat, these things sound nice. I've never used monitors before, so it was really cool to hear all of the different layers that I'd never heard before in a song. They're super clear. The flat EQ was a bit strange at first, but I actually quite like it now that I've gotten used to it. The cones seem to be just fine on both, but the foam around the woofers definitely needs to be replaced. Apparently I can do it myself; have any of you DIYed a foam replacement before?

Simultaneously, I also happened to find a gorgeous old Motorola tube console on Craigslist for a pretty good price. It's a 3-channel which apparently Motorola made a bunch of various models of back in the day (mine says it was made in September 1960), with mids/highs on Left/Right and bass on the Center channel, plus a separate channel called "Vibrasonic," which is a dedicated Reverb. It's insanely, outrageously heavy and crammed full of vacuum tubes and big, beefy old Jensen speakers (the center cabinet houses a seriously chunky 15" subwoofer). It sounds fantastic, though unsurprisingly a bit more muddy than the JBLs, but that's kind of unfair I guess given that they're studio monitors. It's got a few quirks that I'll need to get looked at: weird reverb-y popping when I switch sources and intermittent crackling through the speakers, plus the record changer doesn't work, but for being almost 60 years old it's in incredibly good shape!

I'm currently trying to decide now if I'll fix up the JBLs and sell them and just use the Moto, or for the Super Decadence option, just keep everything and hook my various inputs into a switcher and swap between the two depending on my mood. Either way I'll need to figure out a way to float my turntable above the console so it doesn't get shaken around by the built-in speakers. I thought about getting a C-shape table for it, but I'll likely just try to build an 18"x18" shelf instead and mount it to the wall.

Oh man, I have some experience with the 3 channel Motorola consoles of the Early 60's. Send me a PM.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I got ambitious and ordered a shelf to organize my records and go a bit better with my Marantz gear.

While I was rearranging things I pulled my pair of Ohm I speakers out to class things up.

On a negative note the suspension of my Shure V15V-MR stylus failed. I knew it was a delicate cart and the suspension was delicate when it was new and 35 years means it was bound to have deteriorated like a turntable belt.

While not cheap at $200 at least JICO makes a replacement stylus and I won't have to worry about the suspension falling for a decade or 2. Ordered one for ebay for $165 from a Japanese seller. I will have to see if it's as good as the original when it gets here. Running a $30 ortophon Omega cart in the meantime.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Shame is for other people.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Reposting from DIY fix it fast:

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I got some free speakers and one is only outputting from the tweeter. Assume I don't know anything about electronics or audio. Can/should I try to fix it myself?

eddiewalker posted:

I can see the torn foam surround on both the mid and the woofer from here.

You’ll probably be looking for generic replacement drivers from somewhere like PartsExpress, hoping there’s not also a problem with the crossover, and hoping the sound still roughly matches the other speaker when you’re done.

But its mate has no foam around the woofer and it still at least puts some sound out.

What's the crossover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The crossover is a series of electronic components that splits the frequencies between each speaker. If one of those components is gone, it could account for the issue, or the drivers could basically be hosed or have been unplugged.

Those speakers appear to have a bit of an EQ on the front which might make the wiring a little more complicated. At the minimum you're replacing both woofers and mid ranges, so if you're serious about it you might as well order some and plug them in, see if they work. They're usually spade connectors on the back, sometimes soldered. They're not super expensive speakers, I think Realistic was a budget Radio Shack brand, but they look like they'd probably go alright with some entry level Dayton audio drivers. The tweeter looks like a relatively decent unit, the enclosure looks like it's well put together, so if you're prepared to do the work you'll probably get some decent, fairly efficient speakers out of it.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 24, 2020