Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kennel posted:

What about Saiyans? Could Goku beat an MMA fighter in a legit fight?
:goonsay:

Since Dragonball wasn't as much as powering up as it was funky martial arts abilities and tournaments and we see child Goku run train on many of his opponents, and literally the first thing he does in the series is survive a gunshot at point-blank range... yes.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

:goonsay:

Since Dragonball wasn't as much as powering up as it was funky martial arts abilities and tournaments and we see child Goku run train on many of his opponents, and literally the first thing he does in the series is survive a gunshot at point-blank range... yes.

What if you shot him from further away so the bullet has time to gather speed tho?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

http://cavemancircus.com/2019/03/26/son-knocks-out-his-step-dad-for-calling-his-friend-the-n-word/

"Son Knocks Out His Step-Dad For Calling His Friend The N-Word"

Click for video

The best part of this video is the ankle monitor on the stepson. This ain't his first "beating the poo poo out of StepDad" Rodeo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

What if you shot him from further away so the bullet has time to gather speed tho?

I'm pretty sure Goku gets shot a ton and it never really takes. That's what prompts all the laser blasts later on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I'm pretty sure Goku gets shot a ton and it never really takes. That's what prompts all the laser blasts later on.

Wait there's actually shooting? All the bits I've seen are just dudes floating in mid-air making pooping-really-hard faces at each other.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait there's actually shooting? All the bits I've seen are just dudes floating in mid-air making pooping-really-hard faces at each other.

First of all, your TV's not even turned on

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

First of all, your TV's not even turned on

How would you kn---Vegetal!!!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Jerry Cotton posted:

He got shot at a lot when he was a little kid.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Then you just burned a very rare and expensive Gyrojet round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwO4ohqkjb0

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/AAAAAGGHHHH/status/1219299691201884162?s=20

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The good stuff
:discourse:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

She sounds like baby Yoshi Mario at the start there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qkrKTAOv2M

E-- gently caress I even said "Oh wait that's Mario not Yoshi, make sure you write Mario" when writing the post.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 6, 2020

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

She sounds like baby Yoshi at the start there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qkrKTAOv2M

thatsa him, mario

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

The good stuff
:discourse:

SMDH if you wouldn't just immediately lick it off anyway :shrek:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

If they've sparred extensively, maybe. There's a big gulf between "fit, plus can throw a punch and string forms together" and "has actually used said punches in a combat situation."

But even sparring doesn't prepare you entirely for an actual fight.

They'd be better than someone with no training, but I wouldn't give them a huge advantage beyond that.

LifeSunDeath posted:

If they fought someone in their weight class who was less skilled sure. Weight classes matter a lot when with trained fighters, because lets say a 5'5'' 130 pound monk fights 6'4'' 200 pound John Jones, Jones has massive reach and size advantage, would pick that monk up and slam him into dust with little to no effort.

so recently i started following this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAzXqFoW1Y7KDqwZ1x5m9EA called Fight Commentry Breakdown.

which is mostly about MMA and traditional Chinese martial arts. the guy isn't an expert or anything, but he makes a lot of convincing arguments about the problems with TCM.

The first is that most kung fu dojos just don't do real sparring, period. It's why a lot of supposed masters end up getting completely surprised the first time they go in the ring with an MMA guy, because they have no idea what actually getting punched in the face feels like.

The second issue is that TCM, probably related to the issue with not sparring, doesn't emphasize conditioning very much, especially not strength training. So even if they're fighting someone who by weight is much smaller than they, they struggle to match their power, because they just aren't as strong.

The fundamental root of both of these problems is that a huge proportion of the styles and forms that constitute TCM are not actually for sport boxing or self defense at all, at least not originally. Instead many of the common moves in kung fu and tai chi are actually forms of exercise with more in common with yoga than krav maga. Alternatively, they actually come from the long tradition of chinese opera. The FightCommentaryBreakdown channel, they actually show footage of kung fu practice and point out moves that are specifically meant for performances, with the practitioners slapping their feet to make loud impressive noises at times to make their moves appear more theatrically impressive to an audience. When you look at 100 year old videos of Chinese soldiers practicing sword sparring, they don't use kung fu moves at all, instead they are obviously using European or Japanese saber styles.

So in summary, TCM guys do bad against MMA because they aren't really training in self defense at all. Instead they learn a kind of stage fighting similar to Capoeira and a Qing dynasty equivalent of a jazzercise routine. Then they never realize it's not real because they never actually have to apply it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

James Woods posted:

On the subject of gloves, I got a boxers fracture a couple years ago in a street fight. I literally broke my hand punching someone in the face. To this day I can't recieved a firm handshake without being in tremendous pain. If you're going to punch someone in the face use the base of your palm.

Did you get it looked at? It's a fairly regular thing for MMA fighters to break their hands, they use smaller gloves so they can grapple, and they punch the poo poo out of each other. They usually need surgery afterwards.

For example, Mark Hunt (right) resorted to using elbows against Bigfoot Silva (left) when he broke his hand.

That fight was ruled a draw, which is bullshit for a couple of reasons. The first is that the referee gave Silva a get out of jail card in the fifth round by stopping the fight so a doctor could check a cut that was clearly fine, when he was very close to being stopped. The second was that Silva was on a shitload of steroids. In the rematch, after they had tightened up the rules surrounding therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy, Hunt folded him like a lawn chair in less than a round.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Squalid posted:

The first is that most kung fu dojos just don't do real sparring, period. It's why a lot of supposed masters end up getting completely surprised the first time they go in the ring with an MMA guy, because they have no idea what actually getting punched in the face feels like.

You'd be surprised at how badly getting popped in the face will discombobulate you until it's happened enough times to get used to it. Combine that with it being a sport where the next attack could be anything from another punch, to a kick, to a wrestling takedown, to a judo toss, to someone jumping off the cage and then roundhouse kicking you across the face...it's a lot to have to think about while also playing short range dodgeball with an emphasis on making one of you stop moving.

There's also the joke that every time you get punched in a fight, you lose one belt rank in BJJ. So even the most decorated grappler is likely to stop performing at their peak as soon as the opponent lays hands on them.

And seconding Memento's comment. I've got permanent hand damage from too many injuries doing MMA. If you can get that checked out, it might help save you some future pain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him. Or he'll puncture your tire.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Proteus Jones posted:

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him. Or he'll puncture your tire.

That just seems like bad car-ma

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

That just seems like bad car-ma

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

nice coke nail

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Regrettable posted:

nice coke nail

please

it's a booger nail

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

90% of old traditional martial arts is garbage and turns out was mostly just used for ceremonial shows because it has no real world applications.

The exception to this is "wrestling" which is something every MMA fighter must know still. Apparently even cave men did some form of wrestling

Back when a lot of MMA shows had basically no rules, the most efficient way to beat any fighter was to tackle them to the ground, lock their body up with yours and headbutt them lol. It was such a dominant strategy that they had to make headbutts illegal almost immediately

There is no grace in real fights.

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 6, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bryan Alvarez, pro wrasslin' and mma journalist, has a theory there's like five legit martial arts. Boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai and judo, I believe

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What about dynamite?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Volcott posted:

What about dynamite?

Hey, as long as it works.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Randaconda posted:

Bryan Alvarez, pro wrasslin' and mma journalist, has a theory there's like five legit martial arts. Boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai and judo, I believe

If we're just talking effective martial arts, there's a few more.

Silat can be pretty effective. That's Silat you're seeing in The Raid, not Muay Thai. Like MMA, it has striking and takedowns and submissions.
Also I would figure Russian Spetznaz Система is probably pretty effective boxing.

But if we're talking like, categories of fighting, its basically just kickboxing or wrestling, or both (mma). Judo and Jiu-Jitsu are types of wrestling, Muay Thai is a type of boxing, etc.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Memento posted:

Did you get it looked at? It's a fairly regular thing for MMA fighters to break their hands, they use smaller gloves so they can grapple, and they punch the poo poo out of each other. They usually need surgery afterwards.

It's probably going to need surgery yeah. I'm waiting until I retire to a country with socialized medicine to get it done. The expense plus the recovery time making me unable to work just isn't feasible.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Nah it’s all about capoeira, the most practical and deadly of the martial arts

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

http://cavemancircus.com/2019/03/26/son-knocks-out-his-step-dad-for-calling-his-friend-the-n-word/

"Son Knocks Out His Step-Dad For Calling His Friend The N-Word"

Click for video

They say step-dad but you just know there are people watching this imagining he's beating the poo poo out of his actual biological father

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Silat can be pretty effective. That's Silat you're seeing in The Raid, not Muay Thai. Like MMA, it has striking and takedowns and submissions.
Also I would figure Russian Spetznaz Система is probably pretty effective boxing.

But if we're talking like, categories of fighting, its basically just kickboxing or wrestling, or both (mma). Judo and Jiu-Jitsu are types of wrestling, Muay Thai is a type of boxing, etc.

yeah, that makes sense

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think while his core style is based on Turtle Style Kung Fu, Goku definitely qualifies as a mixed martial artist having participated in tournaments against enemies with a wide and colourful variety of fighting styles, and trained under multiple teachers who never train him the same way twice.

Also, I'm pretty sure demographics wise at the very least, MMA and Dragon Ball have like, 80% fanbase overlap.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

i think the best way to think about and classify these "categories of fighting" is by putting it into its context and purpose. I put fighting schools into three basic categories: stage fighting, sport fighting, and hand to hand self-defense.

Stage fighting includes both dance and theatre, and examples would be Hong Kong Wushu as used in the films of Jackie Chan or in the WWE. It is characterized by exaggerated movements and cooperation between participants.

Sport fighting includes stuff like MMA but also sumo. These martial arts feature real competition between practitioners. However they differ significantly from the next category in that the moves and techniques are constrained by the need to keep everyone safe and put on a good show. For the most part it doesn't make sense to argue something like western wresting is better or worse than judo, because both forms are constrained by different rules. Fundamentally even sports like MMA are a game.

Finally self defense martial arts include krav maga and HEMA (historical European martial arts). Typically in addition to techniques used in boxing and wrestling, these schools will also train the use of weapons and disfiguring attacks like eye gouges that are obviously too dangerous to use in any sport. In theory these styles should be the most effective in self defense, since that is what they are meant for, but obviously its hard to test your deadly dick punch technique in the real world to find out. Interestingly i was looking at one Ming dynasty sword manual recently and it didn't look anything like modern chinese opera moves, but seemed very similar to early Modern European dueling treatises.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oddly enough Jackie Chan movies are often praised for making fight scenes feel real since they involve use of improvised weapons, taking advantage of the environment, and in general having characters act in ways that feel realistic and sensible, with Jackie Chan's character generally a believable underdog rather than an unstoppable force plowing through endless thugs like a video game character.

Squalid posted:

Interestingly i was looking at one Ming dynasty sword manual recently and it didn't look anything like modern chinese opera moves, but seemed very similar to early Modern European dueling treatises.

That doesn't surprise me, and the term that comes to mind is 'convergent evolution'; given similar enough circumstances, beings come up with the same solutions that work. I think it's interesting and a nice counter to orientalism and such othering; when you take material factors into consideration, people just ain't that different.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Pickled Tink posted:

This is more complicated Schadenfreude, but I find it absolutely delightful myself:

Only three private health funds will be viable in two years, Australian regulator warns

In Australia we have public healthcare and also a private health insurance industry that the government heavily subsidises. The problem for them is that they have, every single one of them, been unrepentantly and irredeemably poo poo for a very long time offering, among other things, garbage policies that cover little of use as well as heavily opaque policies that even a lawyer has trouble understand making it impossible for a person to know precisely what is and is not covered (Which ties into garbage). There was even an Inquiry into the industry that was pretty scathing.

Unfortunately for insurers, many Australians are now finally saying "gently caress you" and walking off, either cancelling their private insurance or simply not buying it at all. This is especially true among younger Australians who simply don't have the wealth of the boomers (Aside: gently caress the boomers). This means the industry is now in what appears to be a death spiral as everyone healthy leaves and simply gets on with our public healthcare, or they stay as sick olds and cost shitloads of money to the insurance industry.

Given they are parasites and it was their predatory behavior and utterly unrepentant bastardry that brought them to this end, I can sit back and take a good long laugh at this as they seem to be going broke.

I recently had a run with the public health system though. Kidney stones. It was a cluster gently caress as the hospitals just didnt do the right thing.

After 6 weeks of pissing blood and not being able to stand up i finally had my operation. (Which took like 30 mins) while im sitting on the recovery chair (and now uncontrollably pissing blood which even an untrained radiographor picked up when they looked at the last xray from the operation) the doctor the overlooked my operation (but didnt do it of course) was complaining how his senior had just told him to cancel 2 public patients and put in his private patient the next morning. So he was either getting in trouble (but not really) with admin, or getting in trouble (and not getting a job) with the senior doctor. So guess what he did?

This is in a public hospital.

I personally think there needs to be a complete separation of public and private in aus. If you go private, go get your surgery done in a private hospital.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Delthalaz posted:

Nah it’s all about capoeira, the most practical and deadly of the martial arts

Only The Strong is a documentary

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about Band of the Hand

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

This is why when you're taking your motorcycle driving test, they have you go around a bunch of koans

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh dope posted:

This is why when you're taking your motorcycle driving test, they have you go around a bunch of koans

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

There was a security guard at the club I worked that was really REALLY into Wing Chung and slap boxing. Bopped him on the nose through all the arm waving poo poo in seconds. I even made a 'boop' sound for extra laugh.

In other fighting news of sorts. Bare Knuckle Boxing is again legal in some states and I'm quite enjoying it. Below is a random fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioGfnA70mM

EDIT: I wonder if 'Felony Fights' is still a thing