Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
GSC Focus
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/05/the-greater-good-faction-focus-genestealer-cultsgw-homepage-post-1

Custom Cult Creeds (like Tyranids in BoB)

Cult-specific powers (like Tyranids in BoB)
* Twisted Helix power is like the Behemoth one but works on an enemy target rather than friendly unit.

New CP1 strat to give Neophytes Assault 2 autoguns on arrival - which seems utterly pointless to mean because rapid fire already gives them two shots each and cult ambush generally means landing in range for that.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Custom cult is likely not going to do too much, but I’m reserving judgement till I see all the options. It’s probably going to be the novelty of the Nid rules.

TH power is good, bordering on real good. It’s very short range and all psykers casting only one power means it’s going to be tough to squeeze in, as Mass Hypnosis is still the prime power to get off. Tossing a few familiars in might be a fine option.

Assault 2 auto guns is pretty laughable for a CP, especially with no other bonus. “I can pay to get a mild benefit if my enemy is 13-24” away? Great!” If it became Rapid Fire 2 it might be more interesting but especially considering it does nothing to help with their better guns it’s just bad. I guess you might want to advance and shoot at 5+?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JBP posted:

They're primaris. Basically using the whole thing where Cawl was like "haha um of course I didn't use traitor geneseed". Who gives a poo poo their brains don't work and they're travelling to the ghoul stars led by a primaris chapter master that has incurable nightmares while they burn perfectly fine imperial settlements just on the off chance there's a chaos incursion, all the while spoofing traitor comms for reasons of camouflage or disinformation. They can wear the skull and batwings if they like basically.

Loyalist offshoots of traitor legions/traitor offshoots of loyalists is a long and honored warham tradition and also 100% the reason why Cawl's Vault Of Bad Guy Juice exists

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
That strat can only be used after a cult ambush, so no advance moves with it. Perhaps there's some other new rule that interacts with Assault type weapons, but I hope you're right and it's a misprint of Rapid Fire 2.

Praying that custom traits can help make some lesser-used models viable like they did with Nids. Would be nice to see some general buffs to vehicles or brood brothers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

xtothez posted:

That strat can only be used after a cult ambush, so no advance moves with it. Perhaps there's some other new rule that interacts with Assault type weapons, but I hope you're right and it's a misprint of Rapid Fire 2.

Praying that custom traits can help make some lesser-used models viable like they did with Nids. Would be nice to see some general buffs to vehicles or brood brothers.

Ah, you’re right on that. It’s even more useless. I have no idea how this would ever be helpful to anyone.

I think in friendly games custom cults will be fun, but losing the specialized cult psychic powers and stratagems will likely be a deal-killer.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

Surely it's a misprint and it's supposed to be rapid fire 2? The description even talks about drowning people in a hail of Bullets.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Comedy option: 9E arrives this summer and nerfs Rapid Fire weapons so that you have to remain stationary to get double shots!

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah I agree, only downside is the admech box is maybe 300pts at a push versus ~500 for the Thousand Sons which is a very cost friendly starter.

I'm going to get a Night Lords FW transfer sheet for my 40k Not Lords marines because chapter customiser absolutely hosed me out of my money and time. I hope people don't bag me for making loyal literal night lords but whatever the alternate pads and poo poo I wanted aren't gettable.

There were loyal bands of night Lord's in the heresy though they didn't get any named characters. so this works fine for having them be decended from the crimson sons or as part of cawl rolling out all 20 flavors of geneseed in secret so loyalist night Lord's are plenty fine lore wise and thematically reavers were either based on night Lord's or the ultramarines who hung out with the night Lord's too long and picked up their bad habits and eventually became the nemisis chapter.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

xtothez posted:

Comedy option: 9E arrives this summer and nerfs Rapid Fire weapons so that you have to remain stationary to get double shots!

Not kidding this was one of the things they dropped from 3rd edition to 4th that I liked.

Gave stuff like assault 2 shuriken catapults an actual niche as mobile close combat weapons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PierreTheMime posted:

I would strongly recommend Thousand Sons as a starter. Their Start Collecting box is a fantastic value (it includes Ahriman!) and with their new rules they have some really interesting/fun/powerful tricks, whereas AdMech are a very static gun line. They can be good, but they’re the Imperial Tau equivalent and might not be terribly interesting to start.

Counter to this, if you play kill team its the opposite.

Admech have tons of fun toys in kill team and thousand sons are kinda bland and featureless.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tiger Millionaire posted:

That is true, i forgot about Veridyan even though I've painted one in the lead up to the sisters hype.

I like to think they made the relic pistol good for her sake.

It feels like if you give a Cannonness the Wrath of the Emperor and the Blessed Blade you've actually got a pretty good CC character. At least for Sororitas.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Not kidding this was one of the things they dropped from 3rd edition to 4th that I liked.

Gave stuff like assault 2 shuriken catapults an actual niche as mobile close combat weapons.

To be fair Assault 2 guns with 18" range still has a place in normal movement because you can advance and shoot, and if you combine that with a special rule letting you fall back and shoot you can kite stuff.

Problem in this specific case is because it only applies out of ambush those uses can't happen.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How many old-school Necron Lord miniatures are there? I know about the one with the single-bladed staff in the left hand who’s pointing with his right hand, the one with the dual-bladed staff in his right hand with the resurrection orb in his left hand, the old 2nd Edition “Assholetep” model, but it seems there was a 4th one? I’ve been stumbling across this model on eBay and it shows up a couple times if you google image search “Necron lord metal”. What’s it from?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Xenomrph posted:

How many old-school Necron Lord miniatures are there? I know about the one with the single-bladed staff in the left hand who’s pointing with his right hand, the one with the dual-bladed staff in his right hand with the resurrection orb in his left hand, the old 2nd Edition “Assholetep” model, but it seems there was a 4th one? I’ve been stumbling across this model on eBay and it shows up a couple times if you google image search “Necron lord metal”. What’s it from?

According to this: http://www.solegends.com/citle2000/armyboxes/16necrlord/index.htm

looks like it's from the 2002 army box

Unsure if it was ever sold separately

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i just want angron, new berserker models and more world eater stuff to flesh them out into a full army like they did thousand sons and death guard :sigh:

"What would you know of struggle, Perfect Son? When have you fought against the mutilation of your mind? When have you had to do anything more than tally compliances and polish your armour?" [...] "The people of your world named you Great One. The people of mine called me Slave. Which one of us landed on a paradise of civilization to be raised by a foster father, Roboute? Which one of us was given armies to lead after training in the halls of the Macraggian high-riders? Which one of us inherited a strong, cultured kingdom? And which one of us had to rise up against a kingdom with nothing but a horde of starving slaves? Which one of us was a child enslaved on a world of monsters, with his brain cut up by carving knives? Listen to your blue-clad wretches yelling of courage and honour, courage and honour, courage and honour. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Courage is fighting the kingdom which enslaves you, no matter that their armies outnumber yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of courage. Honour is resisting a tyrant when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy he feeds them. You know nothing of honour."

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Somehow Angron and the damned world eaters got the well written Horus heresy books. I do love that in one of his more lucid moments he says that if he didn’t have the nails driving him insane Horus could go screw but he would still try and kill the emperor for being a horrific tyrannical monster.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Percelus posted:

i just want angron, new berserker models and more world eater stuff to flesh them out into a full army like they did thousand sons and death guard :sigh:

Totally agree, khorne needs some love too.

... right after they update the emperor's children and noise marines!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zaphod42 posted:

Totally agree, khorne needs some love too.

... right after they update the emperor's children and noise marines!!!

I'm certain there was a box set with big new berserkers in it and then they never released the models more generally. Also yeah, full tsons/dg range for EC please.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

JBP posted:

I'm certain there was a box set with big new berserkers in it and then they never released the models more generally. Also yeah, full tsons/dg range for EC please.

Ideally more DG than TSons. TSons is a little anaemic range wise and relies heavily on AoS transplants, which I don’t mind so much but I know some people don’t. Though both EC and WE would have the recent wave of CSM stuff grandfathered in, unlike DG and TSons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Milotic posted:

Ideally more DG than TSons. TSons is a little anaemic range wise and relies heavily on AoS transplants, which I don’t mind so much but I know some people don’t. Though both EC and WE would have the recent wave of CSM stuff grandfathered in, unlike DG and TSons.

Its hard to complain compared to the old days of having to buy some lovely finecast sprue to modify tacticals into rubrics, the new sculpts are loving amazing. Also Rubrics got bigmarine models before Chaos Marines did.

But yeah, between the two it feels like DG got the most love. So many new units!

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Zaphod42 posted:

So many new units!

*cries in Imperial Guard*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Guard must be due for something in the near future. Considering that everyone else is getting new units (some by the truckload) you'd hope that they'd be looking at some post-Cadia releases. I'd love to see some Cadian Sector veterans or something with better sculpts and maybe a more ragged look to them.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Percelus posted:

"What would you know of struggle, Perfect Son? When have you fought against the mutilation of your mind? When have you had to do anything more than tally compliances and polish your armour?" [...] "The people of your world named you Great One. The people of mine called me Slave. Which one of us landed on a paradise of civilization to be raised by a foster father, Roboute? Which one of us was given armies to lead after training in the halls of the Macraggian high-riders? Which one of us inherited a strong, cultured kingdom? And which one of us had to rise up against a kingdom with nothing but a horde of starving slaves? Which one of us was a child enslaved on a world of monsters, with his brain cut up by carving knives? Listen to your blue-clad wretches yelling of courage and honour, courage and honour, courage and honour. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Courage is fighting the kingdom which enslaves you, no matter that their armies outnumber yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of courage. Honour is resisting a tyrant when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy he feeds them. You know nothing of honour."

Can't post this without the response -

"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Guard must be due for something in the near future. Considering that everyone else is getting new units (some by the truckload) you'd hope that they'd be looking at some post-Cadia releases. I'd love to see some Cadian Sector veterans or something with better sculpts and maybe a more ragged look to them.

Scions seem to be the big thing for guard. It's what GW are pushing anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you're thinking of today's Regimental Standard I just think they get some new rules in the new PA book and shouldn't really be taken as indication for anything massive I feel. :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Scions were Primaris beta

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

JackMann posted:

No problem!

Here's the guide I followed.

Thanks a bunch! I'll try to post pictures when I eventually get around to trying it out! Need to decide if I want to go with a more tradition blue color or an orange/yellow fire-like scheme.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Yeah. I think scions are cool and I think guard tanks are all fine, but I'd love to see some updated regular infantry.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Guardsmen with the same socket and ball mount for heads would open up for some great conversions considering that stuff is essentially standardised by this point.
Also I would've loved Scions more if they weren't such a pain in the rear end to assemble with lasrifles.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Aren't the Catachans and Cadians the oldest multipart plastic infantry kits around now? I recall one of them was the first kit if it's kind, I think guardians were the other of the first three. I think everything else was released afterward, or has been updated since.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Khorne berserkers?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Catachans are from like 1997 or something. Guardians are up there too.

I think it's kind of dumb that GW hasn't updated the existing guard infantry range and even gone on to release more variants. A new range really only needs three kits - command squad, infantry squad, and heavy weapons squad. Throw in some spare bits for vehicle commanders and maybe even a sentinel pilot here or there and you're good to go. Scions have replaced stromtroopers/kasrkin so there's no need to do variant kits there. All the vehicles are shared, ogryns and ratlings are their own things, etc.

Gimme plastic vostroyans, GW. :shepspends:

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
I'm pretty sure the last kit update guard got was a non-visual update to the Leman Russ turret that made it harder to swap cannons.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Anvil Industries does pretty good Vostroyans in multi-part resin

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think those are 40k British Guard.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

goose willis posted:

Anvil Industries does pretty good Vostroyans in multi-part resin

I like Anvil Industries but that looks like if you literally mashed Mordians, Praetorians, and Vostroyans into one model.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

See they got all your out of print bases covered in one

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So I guess this isn't competitive or good but it seems fun as poo poo, has great models and its like 1700pts for ~$550aud new, which is very good monetary value. I might get half of this stuff for my birthday because I'm an idiot and make this list.

Thousand Sons

Battalion:

Ahriman
Daemon Prince

2 x 10 man Rubrics
1 x 10 Tzaangors

5 Scarab Occult Terminators

Supreme Command:

3 x Exalted Sorcerers from the sorc box

Magnus

Then just toss in some anti tank or whatever and have fun doing spells. Maybe a mutalith beast or something else that looks rad just to have a really nice compact force to work on without requiring 120 models. Also easy to break the force into 2 battalions and milk some CP.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

PinheadSlim posted:

I like Anvil Industries but that looks like if you literally mashed Mordians, Praetorians, and Vostroyans into one model.

They're these guys with extra grimdark detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/06/the-greater-good-astra-militarum-faction-focusgw-homepage-post-4/

Speaking of which, the Flashlight boys faction focus is up.