Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vincent posted:

Sook and the art team are deffo doing all the heavy lifting in that book.

There's a lot going on in the art. Sometimes too mcuh, but I feel like that's because of Bendis and not the art team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Finished JL #39.
Agreed.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Oh, in case anyone isn't reading Shazam, everyone's favorite character is back, baby!

Johns is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Teenage Fansub posted:

Finished JL #39.
Agreed.

:hmmyes:

I read it as soon as I pulled it out of the box to see if the Snyder run could actually manage a solid ending. I didn't expect to love it or anything, but wow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Something tells me Tom Taylor's Shark will not, in fact, be singing about how he is a shark.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Boy the last issue of Snyder's Justice League sure is... something.

Woof.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Finished JL #39.
Agreed.
Geez. I wonder what would make everyone turn on this story so late in the...

..game...

....YIKES. :sweatdrop:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
As someone who hasn't been reading Snyder's JL what happened?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

As someone who hasn't been reading Snyder's JL what happened?

As someone who just finished reading it I am wondering the same thing

Like Perputua won, the heroes lost, the world is falling into woe but not really because something even bigger is happening and stories matter now or something. I am guessing the idea of "stories" is the adventures and fights the heroes take part in which is supposed to inspire people or some poo poo, but I guess Perputua is a new status quo or something?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

As someone who just finished reading it I am wondering the same thing

Like Perputua won, the heroes lost, the world is falling into woe but not really because something even bigger is happening and stories matter now or something. I am guessing the idea of "stories" is the adventures and fights the heroes take part in which is supposed to inspire people or some poo poo, but I guess Perputua is a new status quo or something?

Seems like some weird meta bullshit that Morrison would've done, but not end on such a weird note and not need so many issues and macguffins to tell.

JLD ended on a pretty good note though and the next issue is a return to the Parliaments after a long time. Prepare for a new set, I assume.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
In broad strokes the entire Snyder JL series has been about an inevitable Justice Vs. Doom War and a lot of stuff happened and people travelled in time and found magic devices and got powered up and powered down and unlocked New Forces from Beyond The Broken Source Wall and saw the future and brought back the Justice Society and found out they all knew each other as kids and finally the War Between Justice and Doom happened and Love and Justice was going to conquer all but it didn't, and Doom won. To Be Continued?

I know this is hardly the first time for this sort of thing to happen but based on the "to be continued" page it really sets up the following sort of branching storylines:

1) The Justice League has moved on from Doom and Apex Lex and etc. and into bold new adventures written by Robert Venditti!
2) The Justice League will have to continue to tussle with Apex Lex and the Legion of Doom and all that jazz in Year of the Villain: Hell Arisen!
3) The Justice League straight up lost the fight against Doom and were erased from reality and jumped into a big white door to next appear in Metal 2 in six months or whatever

They're all imaginary stories, but it's not a terribly satisfactory ending to a big A-List run. The whole thing has felt (and feels at its end) kind of like a half-assed version of Hickman's Avengers run. Except in this case it would be a situation where Hickman's run ends with the multiverse ending and only a few heroes surviving on a life raft, and then someone else comes on and does a different Avengers run, and all of the other books keep happening, and then a few months later Marvel announces that Secret Wars will be coming out this fall to explain what happens at the end of the Hickman run.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 30, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like, I'm not opposed to things ending on a cliffhanger and being followed up elsewhere, but that shouldn't be exclusive with this story also landing on its feet on a satisfying way. But then Snyder seems to go out of his way to twist absolutely everything in his tale into the most unnatural outcomes in order to pad for more DLC, and it just feels superficial instead of intriguing. What's the Mayhem event, you ask? Well it could actually be literally anything! Maybe they fight Perpetua some more. Maybe they don't! Who knows!

It's also doubly aggravating because this loving green-doom-sigil-in-the-sky nonsense had seeped over to so many other books in the worst sort of intrusive crossover way, and this is gonna be the payoff for all those other books' momentums being driven to grinding halt? Nooo thanks.

Xelkelvos posted:

JLD ended on a pretty good note though and the next issue is a return to the Parliaments after a long time. Prepare for a new set, I assume.
Yeah JLD has been on point since the start, and this ending is no different. It's been my de facto, actual go-to Wonder Woman series for a while now. Tynion's far from perfect, but he's shown a ton of range and understanding of various characters and the way he resolves Diana and Circe here just goes to show all that.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 30, 2020

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It wasn't the plot for me or the fact that it led right into another event (we knew that was coming.)
It was just so rushed. It really needed to be double sized the give the happenings much more impact. We get these broad booms and wooshes of visual stuff with narration boxes leading us through, and no time for character, like it's crazy that there's no emotional payoff for MM and Kendra losing their adopted child. I don't think he's even shown.
Snyder's messaging was pretty much all the issue had to go on, and I thought it was so cornball, and I could have taken it if there was time for any actual meaningful interactions.
Even for shock and awe bravado, practically any big moment from the series tops this.

edit: And didn't we just have the Earth psychically vote for good and evil a couple of issues ago? Nothing new or interesting happened beyond what the end might vaguely promise.
ee: AND Perpetua seemingly losing, being cast away, and then PSYCH! coming back and zapping the JLs, happened with such whiplash. Give the comic at least a couple of pages in between to breathe and make it look like the good guys won, then it might've actually been a real "Oh no!" moment for the reader to have that ripped away.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 30, 2020

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Honestly now that I think about it, I find it funny that Snyder's used the whole "make everyone earth psychically align themselves with a heroic or villainous mindset" point in two books this past year. Justice League and that Batman: Last Knight On Earth one.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
non-ending aside, lmao at how JL #39 "acknowledged" Doomsday Clock

"okay, none of this actually happened in the same DCU as everything else, but it still mattered... somehow... uh, because we say it did, I guess, please don't ask any further questions"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
At least GL explained its thing with The Miracle Machine didn't change Earth Prime, it just rewrote a dead universe for things to happen in. It's unexpected, but it works. Note that Earth-15 is the one Superboy Prime destroyed way back when

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Eh, we all knew roughly how JL would end, considering they were setting up Lex vs TBWL. I'm fine with it ending with a to be continued and then followed up on after the lex/BWL event.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I mean, JL didn't have a 'proper ending', but this is comics we are talking about so it's not like any of this would ever actually 'end' within our lifetimes. The good guys lost, which I actually appreciate (even though they will eventually win). From how some people were talking on here, I was expecting it to end with Wonder Woman pregnant with Batman's kid or something ACTUALLY bad, but to me, nothing really worthy of "WOOF" (whatever that means).

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

I mean, JL didn't have a 'proper ending', but this is comics we are talking about so it's not like any of this would ever actually 'end' within our lifetimes. The good guys lost, which I actually appreciate (even though they will eventually win). From how some people were talking on here, I was expecting it to end with Wonder Woman pregnant with Batman's kid or something ACTUALLY bad, but to me, nothing really worthy of "WOOF" (whatever that means).

Sorry, this comic was absolutely poo poo. I know Justice League has a very low average in quality historically, but one of the biggest writers at the company just dropping an absolute turd as the end of his Epic Cosmic Storyline is unforgivable.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Unforgivable is a bit much. It's just a comic.

I was fine with the ending, but I wasn't expecting a proper 'ending' anyway. Plus, Snyder has always been bad at endings.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Unforgivable is probably unfair. There is almost no reader that will remember it in 12 months. Great finale to a multi month crossover that was randomly inserted into almost every book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

Eh, we all knew roughly how JL would end, considering they were setting up Lex vs TBWL. I'm fine with it ending with a to be continued and then followed up on after the lex/BWL event.

The story the JLs are heading to is Snyder's next event. Hell Arisen isn't really spinning off from this issue more than it is from Batman/Superman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 1, 2020

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The Cassandra Cain graphic novel, Shadow of the Batgirl, came out today, and it's really good! The art probably isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it more than just about anything I've read from DC in a long time. Anyone that has a passing interest in Cass should check it out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

The Cassandra Cain graphic novel, Shadow of the Batgirl, came out today, and it's really good! The art probably isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it more than just about anything I've read from DC in a long time. Anyone that has a passing interest in Cass should check it out.

I'm glad to hear it's good! Now I just need to wait until I can get my hands on my copy...

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
A preview of what's going to happen with 5g and Wally. Big spoilers: DC REVEALS EPIC, GAME-CHANGING PLANS FOR FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2020

They really are going full Hal Jordan/Parallax with Wally on this one. Infinite Godlike power and a driving need to change the universe to a version he prefers.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

The story the JLs are heading to is Snyder's next event. Hell Arisen isn't really spinning off from this issue more than it is from Batman/Superman.

Right, that's what I said (I think).

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sorry, this comic was absolutely poo poo. I know Justice League has a very low average in quality historically, but one of the biggest writers at the company just dropping an absolute turd as the end of his Epic Cosmic Storyline is unforgivable.

lol ok. This isn't the end of the cosmic storyline is the point, it's the finale of act one. The story obviously goes on in Hell Arisen (HA, get it?!). Getting this bent out of shape over what is clearly a midway point is a wee bit unreasonable

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

lol ok. This isn't the end of the cosmic storyline is the point, it's the finale of act one. The story obviously goes on in Hell Arisen (HA, get it?!). Getting this bent out of shape over what is clearly a midway point is a wee bit unreasonable

Book is trash, sorry?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

A preview of what's going to happen with 5g and Wally. Big spoilers: DC REVEALS EPIC, GAME-CHANGING PLANS FOR FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2020

They really are going full Hal Jordan/Parallax with Wally on this one. Infinite Godlike power and a driving need to change the universe to a version he prefers.

Why must he suffer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't know that it's necessarily a sinister thing. Could simply be that Wally is being used as a narrative figure to suss out and explain the new state of the metaverse, not that he's some sort of cosmic threat to it.

I live in hope, or whatever.

I mean, what's the worst he can do, make Donna Troy more complicated?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 6, 2020

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

since the idea behind 5G seems to be “everything happens” i don’t think this necessarily frames wally as a bad guy

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I thought 5g was just ruining our ability to predict the weather and :tinfoil: corona virus :tinfoil:

This sounds like when Barry did Flashpoint, tbh.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Parallax posted:

since the idea behind 5G seems to be “everything happens” i don’t think this necessarily frames wally as a bad guy

If by "everything happens" you mean the spiel Phantom Stranger gave the JLs at the end of #39, he was talking about the setting of the upcoming Snyder/Capullo event on the other side of the magic door.

edit:
I've basically said this before, but looking at the cover for the FCBD issue, my big hope for 5G is that they spend an almost equal effort making books for the past 'generations' they're setting up as they will with the next gen stuff.
If top people are making new 80's/90's Supes, Batman, Teen Titans stories, this thing might actually work out for a year or so.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 6, 2020

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So in this week's Justice League, we have a page where Batman has Alfred (who appears on the monitor) autopilot the Batplane. Then 3 pages later Superman is all "I'm Bruce's oldest friend since Alfred died".

Good going, team.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just give us the Silver Age style Superman stories we all crave! I want every cover in TYOOL 2020 to be some total nonsense than nonetheless happens inside each issue.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

So in this week's Justice League, we have a page where Batman has Alfred (who appears on the monitor) autopilot the Batplane. Then 3 pages later Superman is all "I'm Bruce's oldest friend since Alfred died".

Good going, team.
The panel of Bruce talking to Alfred is a flashback.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BrianWilly posted:

The panel of Bruce talking to Alfred is a flashback.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but within the story it totally isn't a flashback, he is even communicating with the rest of the League so we know it's happen all at the same time.

I think the story was written, then events like Pennyworth biting it happened, and some stuff had to be re-written, but oops, art.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm not joking, are you joking? Reread the page. Batman talks to his plane's computer, tells it to go on autopilot. Then there's another panel in completely different color and shape, showing Batman telling Alfred to manually drive the plane back. Then the third panel shows Batman gone but the autopilot engaged.

The second panel is Bruce imagining how it would be if Alfred were still alive, how very slightly different the scene would be but in a way that nontheless matters a lot to Bruce. I was off about it being a flashback, but Alfred is not alive in that page.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 6, 2020

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm not joking, are you joking? Reread the page. Batman talks to his plane's computer, tells it to go on autopilot. Then there's another panel in completely different color and shape, showing Batman telling Alfred to manually drive the plane back. Then the third panel shows Batman gone but the autopilot engaged.

The second panel is Bruce imagining how it would be if Alfred were still alive, how very slightly different the scene would be but in a way that nontheless matters a lot to Bruce. I was off about it being a flashback, but Alfred is not alive in that page.

okay, I can see that now. That's just a really weird way of doing that, I feel. Kind of confusing, considering "Alfred" is replying as if he is part of the story/conversation. I just took it as just another panel, with the monitor coming on, then going off.

Maybe I'm color blind or drunk, because the differing colors did not register with me at all.

in other words, nothing to see here! ignore me!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

okay, I can see that now. That's just a really weird way of doing that, I feel. Kind of confusing, considering "Alfred" is replying as if he is part of the story/conversation. I just took it as just another panel, with the monitor coming on, then going off.

Maybe I'm color blind or drunk, because the differing colors did not register with me at all.

You're not alone, I stared at that page for an embarrassing length of time trying to comprehend what was happening. For a bit I thought Bruce had programmed his autopilot to talk like Alfred and show his face.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 6, 2020

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just assumed he gave the computer an Alfred avatar/personality/voice pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

You're not alone, I stared at that page for an embarrassing length of time trying to comprehend what was happening. For a bit I thought Bruce had programmed his autopilot to talk like Alfred and show his face.

Yeah, it's not 100% clear that it's a flashback other than the alternate coloring. If it was done in B&W or in a sepia, it might be more obvious, but tehy did it in a green which mihgt be mistaken for the glow of the screen.