Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The weirder N52 books were great. I even enjoyed OMAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't the Nu52 Green Arrow series get a pretty quick revamp after nobody cared about the new characters/setting they introduced?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
By Lemire, if I’m not mistaken.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was at #17 or so if I remember right. But it went through several writers and artists before that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

I was at #17 or so if I remember right. But it went through several writers and artists before that.

Then when he left they got arrow creators to write it but they left quickly and everything they did was ignored (bringing in Felicity)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the post Lemire stuff is dire. But then Rebirth GA is so much fun.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah GA is one of the few titles that was inarguably improved by going from the New 52 status quo to the Rebirth one

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah GA is one of the few titles that was inarguably improved by going from the New 52 status quo to the Rebirth one

Yet they kept the same writer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He said in an interview they basically let him go nuts with Rebirth.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Where did the term “flat scan” to refer to humans came up in X-Men comics? I mean more “why flat scan” than what issue number.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

Where did the term “flat scan” to refer to humans came up in X-Men comics? I mean more “why flat scan” than what issue number.

The Sentinels and various later villains could scan people to detect if they were Mutants or not, as can Cerebro. Probably has to do with that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Vincent posted:

Even though you didn't ask for issue number, it was X-Men #1-3 (note: not Uncanny X-Men, the one that came out in the 90s with all the covers that sold a bajillion copies); the Acolytes were the first ones to use the term, IIRC.

While the term is never explicitly explained, I presume it refers to the kind of scanning that a Sentinel or Cerebro or other mutant-detecting thingamabob does, where if the results of said scan were printed out on paper a mutant's scan would have jagged lines indicating, like, the presence of an X-gene or some kind of energy or whatever, while a non-mutant human's scan would simply be a flat line.

It was the '90s, what can I say.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I liked that it evolved into "halfscan" as an insult to wimpy mutants.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Does 90s X-Factor get good at some point (the classic Cable led group; I guess it does get good once it becomes X-Statix)?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

radlum posted:

Does 90s X-Factor get good at some point (the classic Cable led group; I guess it does get good once it becomes X-Statix)?

Cable never led X-Factor; you're thinking of X-Force

I thought it actually got semi-decent right around the time everyone thought Cable was dead after the X-Cutioner's Song crossover and while it had its ups and downs after that point, it was almost always a more fun and interesting book than it ever got credit for

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men really grew on the book as they were going through it. It seems to explore a lot of emotions... through gunfights.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I always liked Adam Pollina's art on X-Force.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Does Japan and other non english countries read Marvel and DC comics like we do? I know stuff does get translated like Gwenpool or Spider-verse but are there like fanscans of like West Coast Avengers or Alan Moore Captain Britan?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does Japan and other non english countries read Marvel and DC comics like we do? I know stuff does get translated like Gwenpool or Spider-verse but are there like fanscans of like West Coast Avengers or Alan Moore Captain Britan?

A lot of big two books get official translations, at least in Europe and SouthAmerica, and then there's stuff like Batmanga and a Mexican Spider-Man book that diverged from the main continuity when Gwen Stacy died.

Don't know about fan translations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The big 2 have a real fairly prominent presence in France from what I saw. Nothing like the Franco Belgian BD, but still there’s tons of big 2 stuff (indie stuff too).

Based on what I see on Izneo, feels like anything notable gets officially released at least digitally.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Some brief history about the last couple of decades of comic publishing in Mexico:
There used to be a company called Editorial Vid that basically had a monopoly on foreign comics for most of the 90s and early aughts here in Mexico. They published and translated DC, Marvel, Image and some Darkhorse comics, but the selection was tiny, usually only the big titles from each company and the big events/crossovers. After they imploded around 03-04, most of the people who was invested in comics just imported them from the US or read scans from the spanish editions.

Around 2005, Marvel started to release official comics in the country again via Editorial Televisa. They started slowly, but with time, they covered most of the big titles and more importantly, they were much more consistent than Vid (and their comics were cheaper). After the success of the Marvel line, Editorial Televisa introduced the DC comics line in 2012, starting with the New 52. Around this time some other companies took notice and started to publish official translations of other american publishers (but to be honest, it's mostly manga).

I think that the best thing about this renaissance it's that they made comics available to the masses again. Televisa has a big distribution network, so it's pretty common to find comics at the supermarket and convenience stores.

There still exist a scene dedicated to translate almost every comic that cames out (also of notice is the fact that lot of people really hate spanish translations since they use a lot of regional slang), but they are mostly dedicated to manga now.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 19, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I always liked Adam Pollina's art on X-Force.

His run is criminally too short and hampered by Jeph Loeb.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Hey, I think this is the best thread to ask this but sorry if it's not, I'm trying to find a specific page from a comic. The easy part is that it's a specific Batman thing. It's a page where Bane basically holds his hand in front of his head so that it covers the top part of people's faces and, in doing so, just sort of walks around Gotham like that and is able to figure out that Batman is Bruce Wayne from just Bruce Wayne's chin and mouth.

I could have sworn this happened early on in one of the Knightfall issues but I think I'm missing it, it might have been in a regular issue of Detective Comics right before that started. I checked and it doesn't seem to be in "Knightfall 0" either.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lencho posted:

Some brief history about the last couple of decades of comic publishing in Mexico:

The best thing about comics in Mexico was that Gwen Stacy was so popular that they had her not die in Amazing Spider-Man #121.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Quite a bit gets translated into british

Bystander "Oi, govna someone's half inched the crown jewels!"
Spider-Man "Fevin little scrote I'll bash his noggin in."

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

bessantj posted:

Quite a bit gets translated into british

Bystander "Oi, govna someone's half inched the crown jewels!"
Spider-Man "Fevin little scrote I'll bash his noggin in."

Man I'd do that job. Vulpes get marvel on the phone for me.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

There’s a biographical manga about a book shop employee and one of his responsibilities is to stock the American comics section (he notes that these books are bigger and heavier than manga) so I guess they do become translated, but mainly the TPBS.

I used to do fan translation for cape titles to Spanish (for Chile and Southamerica) so yes, those do happen (or did. I stopped years ago). The South American (more specifically: Chile) situation right now is that the popular titles get translated by a publishing house (if they are not going out of business, which is more common than you would think) and you can find those issues in newsstands and comic shops.
The shops, as you would imagine, carry way more stuff (more TPBS translated from Spain (gringo, euro and japanese comics) than single issues).
There’s is one store and also a video game and geek poo poo brand (sort of like GameStop) that bring untranslated comics (single issues) but those are a bit more expensive than cover price.

I don’t tend to buy translated comics and honestly since I can buy digital (I can use my card in comixology since amazon bought them) I don’t go to the shops much, so my info could be a bit out of date.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Norwegian publishers has tried several times to get people to buy Marvel and DC stuff but there just isn't a market for superheroes in Norway. The only one with any success is yhe Phantom and even that imprint recently folded.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In Japan, I'll see Marvel stuff (never DC that I can think of) very occasionally in bookstores or Spencer's Gifts-type stores. It's usually stuff directly connected to the movies that have come out, but stuff sticks around on the shelves forever; a couple of months ago I bought a translated copy of X-Men Season One with an ad for the First Class movie from like 2010. I don't venture in to comic shops often but at least in the bookstores, the western stuff is in a separate section from the manga.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
What is the best site to buy single issues of comic book runs? mycomicshop?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

What is the best site to buy single issues of comic book runs? mycomicshop?

Are you looking for piecemeal issues or entire runs? Because for entire runs you can't beat Ebay. I sold a ton of complete sets on EBay through 2018.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Are you looking for piecemeal issues or entire runs? Because for entire runs you can't beat Ebay. I sold a ton of complete sets on EBay through 2018.

Piecemeal. I've been having better luck on Mercari for cheaper incomplete runs that I was looking for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MCS is probably your best bet then.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is Doc Savage worth reading?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

MCS is probably your best bet then.

Thanks Rhyno!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We did a ton of business with them when I was at the shop. I recommend paying extra for bags and boards. You won't regret it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

Is Doc Savage worth reading?

Generally, no.

Is there a run in particular you’re curious about?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Generally, no.

Is there a run in particular you’re curious about?

I'm just reading through early Marvel using the CMRO main reading order list and it came up but not as essential and I thought I'd skip over it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

I'm just reading through early Marvel using the CMRO main reading order list and it came up but not as essential and I thought I'd skip over it.

Hell yes, someone else doing it. How far are you?

And yeah the 1972 marvel Doc Savage is absolutely garbage. It’s the worst series Marvel had put out to that point.

DC’s stuff in the 80s is at least interesting if not necessarily good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Hell yes, someone else doing it. How far are you?

And yeah the 1972 marvel Doc Savage is absolutely garbage. It’s the worst series Marvel had put out to that point.

DC’s stuff in the 80s is at least interesting if not necessarily good.

Ah cool, you're doing it as well?

i'm currently on Hero for Hire #5 which came out the start of 1973. I was going through as many as possible but I've decided if it's not 'Core' I'm going to give it a miss unless it looks really interesting.