Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

zoux posted:

Permanent Pon Farr

May result in Vulcan Death Grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh ye, I havent done any of the post S2 ones except Children of Mars but Short Treks are really cool. Like Calypso is in my top 10 Star Trek episodes...

Probably after Duet but before Balance of Terror? That feels right. It's really good. I like Children of Mars too but I can see why some may not.... I really wish Picard series had explored that moment a little closer. To me, there's something really interesting about the moment right after an external attack but before a rallying retaliation cry that's really intersting. That short really captured the emotions of it well. Picard seems to have moved post rallying but there's still time for inteospection!

Edit: I always wondered why Data could do the nerve pinch and why Romulans didn't seem to do a lot of psionics stuff... Shouldn't both of those be reversed? Ah well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

zoux posted:

I'd lay money on a bet that sexy counselor Troi was 100 percent a Gene thing

Holo Geordi didn't think so

Ooh yeah. Troy was originally a four breasted alien that was an extension of Ilana's hyper sensual character from TMP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Like 10ish I think.

Plenty of time.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

pike gets to live on that planet with a psychically-projected-to-be-hot girl, it all shakes out in the end

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Disco really did work to sell that as a good ending too.

Also I completely forget that Klingons are time Wizards and Q'onos was named that because it sounds like Chronos... That was dumb I think. Just remove that line and it's a lot less dumb.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

They should just scoop up the life-extended Pike from Talos in the next season of Discovery, cure his whatever with future tech, and have him be captain again.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Idk, Saru earning captainhood is really good.
I also think doing that makes the scenes with Vina a lot weirder...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just don’t see Saru as a believable captain tbh. I don’t see anyone on that ship as a believable captain actually

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Saru at least is a good character, so having his story be his evolution into the role of captain would work for me. They've already laid some groundwork for that idea.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I was about to say, Saru has gone through a lot and is a strong and likeable personality, as well as an interesting character.

As I've said, I really wish we got more of the crew and less of SECTION 31 BADASS BADGUYS because there's tons of room for them to grow.

Interesting that the trailer doesn't show Georgiou, since I think the first thing she would try to do when arriving in a Federationless future is to cement as much power as she could... We will see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Saru at least is a good character, so having his story be his evolution into the role of captain would work for me. They've already laid some groundwork for that idea.

I like Saru a lot, I just think that on ST, captains should be a certain way and he doesn’t exude command leadership. Again neither does anyone else and also it's gonna suck out loud when the Captain is Michael Burnham

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Well the only real choices are Michael or Saru*, and in the absence of any structural hierarchy it'd come down to the crew to choose a leader they trust.

Since crew really means "characters with speaking parts", that leaves Stamets, Tilly, Culber, Reno (she still in this?) and... Georgiou? Giving the two ladies on the bridge a vote would be expected at this point (to the extent that they smile and nod in agreement with the majority vote), but anyone else would be a real stretch.

I see it being Michael who reluctantly accepts. It's the only choice that fits the mould, she'll get to have anguish and torment at the burden of command in this hard, unforgiving setting. She can shake her head and say "I don't know if I have the strength they need" and Saru will be a hand on her shoulder and say "You have the strength right here, in your friends. Have faith Captain, like we have faith in you."

*unless they pull a "you need me to make the choices you can't" in the grimdark future with Georgiou, but here's hoping they drop that character in the toilet where it belongs (criminal waste of Michelle Yeow).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not... fundamentally against a series set at the Academy (or focused on cadets, at least), but gently caress do I absolutely loathe the notion of "Kirk and Spock and the gang all meet up as cadets and learn how to become the superhero team best buds we all love!"

Aka ST09?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, you’d think 2009 would have sufficiently scratched that itch, but whatever.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

zoux posted:

I like Saru a lot, I just think that on ST, captains should be a certain way and he doesn’t exude command leadership. Again neither does anyone else and also it's gonna suck out loud when the Captain is Michael Burnham

Discovery should end with Michael finally taking command and let Saru be the captain until then. This would be the most natural stopping point for her arc and the series in general, I think.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is Michael pardoned at this point? I can't remember. When it's all over does she have to go back to jail?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Maybe, one of the things I liked about this season was that other characters were calling her out for taking direct charge and martyring herself all the goddamn time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well the only real choices are Michael or Saru*, and in the absence of any structural hierarchy it'd come down to the crew to choose a leader they trust.

Since crew really means "characters with speaking parts", that leaves Stamets, Tilly, Culber, Reno (she still in this?) and... Georgiou? Giving the two ladies on the bridge a vote would be expected at this point (to the extent that they smile and nod in agreement with the majority vote), but anyone else would be a real stretch.

I see it being Michael who reluctantly accepts. It's the only choice that fits the mould, she'll get to have anguish and torment at the burden of command in this hard, unforgiving setting. She can shake her head and say "I don't know if I have the strength they need" and Saru will be a hand on her shoulder and say "You have the strength right here, in your friends. Have faith Captain, like we have faith in you."

*unless they pull a "you need me to make the choices you can't" in the grimdark future with Georgiou, but here's hoping they drop that character in the toilet where it belongs (criminal waste of Michelle Yeow).

What about Lt. Bold Gravitas, a daring and charismatic and also diplomatic and wise junior officer who was always standing juuuust off screen

Brawnfire posted:

Is Michael pardoned at this point? I can't remember. When it's all over does she have to go back to jail?

Time jail maybe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

From the sound of it, they're gonna be stuck in the future permanently now in order to never have to address all the retcon poo poo they did to the pre-TOS timeline, so it would be kind of lovely to throw her in the klink now.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Time jail maybe.

Not Ultra-Max! :ohdear:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

What about Lt. Bold Gravitas, a daring and charismatic and also diplomatic and wise junior officer who was always standing juuuust off screen

Only if they edit him into a bunch of unused footage and have him hold one sided conversations with other characters who respond with lines like "Did you want it from 3 or the top of the page?" and "That's lunch."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

zoux posted:

Time jail maybe.

Just another face on the wall of the Tomb of Rassilon.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

Burnham got a full pardon and reinstatement to her former rank at the end of season 1

The highest ranking people left on Discovery are Saru, Burnham, Nhan and Reno (not including Georgiou) so short of a surprise new person they decide to trust Saru is a lock as new full time captain.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Seemlar posted:

(not including Georgiou)

Are you counting her as a captain or an empress ?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol forever at the notion of markets driven by "rational actors"

i cant tell if you're mocking me or if you think it's funny that Babylon 5 will sit in this bizarre purgatory of being a show that's too unpopular to do anything with but too popular to let go

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Make the Black Alert voice Captain

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
They still dumping this show at 3AM?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Make the sentient ship's AI captain

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Phlox's weird surgery made Porthos immortal and he's now the captain.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Didn't see this get posted but the Admiral who yelled at Picard fronted the band Vulcan Death Grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f100ccLGw0

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They're doing some weird stuff with these Short Treks.

Finally saw Children of Mars, and kept thinking the one girl (I guess the human one?) looked familiar.

I finally figured out she reminded me of Buffy-aged Michelle Trachtenberg.

Then I realized that was 20 years ago.

So

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Are you counting her as a captain or an empress ?

Technically she officially holds a genuine rank of Captain in Starfleet given to her when she joined Section 31, but nobody on the Discovery is going to recognize her as legitimately being the ranking officer on the ship

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Didn't see this get posted but the Admiral who yelled at Picard fronted the band Vulcan Death Grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f100ccLGw0

Sheer. loving. Hubris. [Throws an electric guitar at Picard's head] :rock:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New episode is up. The plot remains glacial, this is starting to become frustrating. I’m not even sure if the next episode will have the first real plot progression since there are apparently still scenes of Picard & Co. on Earth next episode, despite warping away at the end of this one. The most interesting stuff in this episode was on the cube, but even that was largely limited to one short scene inexplicably cut down to half a dozen 15-30 second bits spread across the whole episode. Also got the impression the ”Romulans created the Borg” theory may actually have some legs, which... could end up being extraordinarily dumb.

The new pilot dude seems alright though. I like that he gave each of his emergency holograms a different bad accent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Picard ep 3: I already like Rios and the new EMH.

Of course Picard's house would have hidden guns everywhere. His Tal Shiar friends probably put them there for this very reason.

They confirmed that Commodore Oh is Vulcan and not Romulan.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 6, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New episode is up. The plot remains glacial, this is starting to become frustrating. I’m not even sure if the next episode will have the first real plot progression since there are apparently still scenes of Picard & Co. on Earth next episode, despite warping away at the end of this one. The most interesting stuff in this episode was on the cube, but even that was largely limited to one short scene inexplicably cut down to half a dozen 15-30 second bits spread across the whole episode. Also got the impression the ”Romulans created the Borg” theory may actually have some legs, which... could end up being extraordinarily dumb.

The new pilot dude seems alright though. I like that he gave each of his emergency holograms a different bad accent.

I think the plot is moving at a fine pace :shrug:.

I don't think they are still on earth. Probably some place where a bunch of Romulan refugees are and Picard is looking to recruit one to help him out with this conspiracy since he left his 2 housekeeper bodyguards on earth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think the plot is moving at a fine pace :shrug:.

I don't think they are still on earth. Probably some place where a bunch of Romulan refugees are and Picard is looking to recruit one to help him out with this conspiracy since he left his 2 housekeeper bodyguards on earth.

There’s a quick scene that looks like Rafi and Picard talking in his chateau study. Plus we still haven’t seen him visiting Riker, though that may be much later in the series.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ok I've started laughing at things I don't think they want me laughing at this episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't know if i'm just tired or what but i barely understood what was happening in that episode. i'll need to rewatch later this week, i guess.

not really digging raffy so far. the pilot is all right.

i'll do spoilers for below, but are we doing them for episodes that are available? and for how long?

it seems like they're just totally ignoring the idea the federation is post scarcity though. picard shouldn't need to resort to some outlaw type like rios for a ship, even outside of starfleet i've got to think there would be many reputable and free resources he could petition. rios referenced that he charges money which might've just been a joke, but alison pill - forget her character's name - brought up the idea of the trip costing money like it was a common thing in the federation which as far as i remember, it just isn't. so they're just ignoring all that i guess.

i have absolutely no loving idea what is going on at the reclamation site. couldn't make sense of those scenes at all.