Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pilchenstein posted:

Has anyone actually checked what Burgon said? Not that I'm casting doubt on the factual reporting of Dan "wrong about everything ever" Hodges but it wouldn't be the first time he's wildly misrepresented someone just to score points :v:

Essentially he's just proposing that party support for military action is put to a membership vote, with a few specific exceptions such as where forces will be reacting to an imminent threat or working as part of a UN sponsored coalition.

It's not a bad policy but it's easy to misrepresent to beat him with.

Once upon a time in the US many years ago there was some support for a military policy that would make all offensive wars subject to a public referendum, effectively prohibiting the great majority of them. What a world we could have known!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In practice it's not that different to open selections in that if an MP wants to maintain favor with their CLP then they'd want to go along with the wishes of the local membership on such major issues as armed intervention, but because it's war and are boys it's easy to twist it as Panzers driving up the A46 while Burgon frantically texts the membership roll to see if we're allowed to shoot back.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Burgon ends up accidentally sexting the 16 year old and has to resign mid-invasion.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

frankenbeans posted:

You should be able to set play order in the podcast app, it's a per-podcast setting, iirc.

Edit: gently caress me, I need to refresh more often.

Oh yeah, there it is. Thanks!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Once upon a time in the US many years ago there was some support for a military policy that would make all offensive wars subject to a public referendum, effectively prohibiting the great majority of them. What a world we could have known!
Once upon a time in the US many years ago there was a document that made all offensive wars subject to approval by Congress, so they just became Police Actions instead, and now it's ignored entirely.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Batten down the hatches.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1225388763486081027

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

It's an insurance company, and 'the general fund for provision of Scottish widows, orphans, and sisters in the event of death at war' was a bit of a mouthful.

And they advertise with women who are far too young and happy for my liking. If I were with the fuzz I'd be asking exactly how you came to be a widow, madam.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well they're happy because of the insurance payment, obvs.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

She absolutely looks like she’s the kind of person when she’s told “Ma’am, we’re afraid your husband has died” responds “Poisoned? Oh how terrible!” before being told it was poison.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

She absolutely looks like she’s the kind of person when she’s told “Ma’am, we’re afraid your husband has died” responds “Poisoned? Oh how terrible!” before being told it was poison.

Pictured: definitely not a panto villain:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

quote:

Stanley Johnson, met Chinese ambassador Liu Xiaoming and emailed his worries to UK officials - accidentally copying in the BBC.

God they're all such incompetent dickheads.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51394044

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*an advertising agency, Kent [but with a London mailbox]*

"She should look happy that her miserable Scotch husband is dead."
"I'm not sure you can say that anymore."
"Righto, she should look happy that her miserable Scottish husband is dead."
*laughter and biscuit games all round*

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Saros posted:

God they're all such incompetent dickheads.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51394044

Why is the Prime Minister's dad meeting foreign ambassadors, again?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boris lost his Chinese homework again.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Niric posted:

Pictured: definitely not a panto villain:

Still makes more sense than Lloyds: The Horse Bank for Horses and their Horse Families

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Still makes more sense than Lloyds: The Horse Bank for Horses and their Horse Families

I dunno, it makes perfect sense for a British bank to be heavily involved in horse-racing, seeing as it's been a nexus of organised crime since forever. What's more surprising is that they want to advertise it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kassad posted:

Why is the Prime Minister's dad meeting foreign ambassadors, again?

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1200127836608221184

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

sebzilla posted:

INT. OFFICE OF ADAM & EVE/DDB, CIRCA 2009

LLOYDS EXEC
We're looking for something that conveys the stability, competence, and far-sightedness that the UK financial services industry is renowned for, something that definitely does not look at all like a horse that's only just realised its forgotten to bolt the stable door and is now panicking

MARKETING EXEC:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/rob_k_abrams/status/1225389806815006722?s=21

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

sebzilla posted:

Pretty sure that they artificially lengthened the tail of the foal in the recent adverts - foals tend to have stupid stubby tails for ages.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, it makes perfect sense for a British bank to be heavily involved in horse-racing, seeing as it's been a nexus of organised crime since forever. What's more surprising is that they want to advertise it.
The Ulster Bank for Ulster Families and their Horse Solaria

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Third Coronavirus patient in the UK, Brighton this time. Seems to have acquired it in China then traveled here before becoming symptomatic so not a worry at this point.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Scottish widows creator formed it to provision for the wives of Scottish ministers specifically, and it was one of the first cases of applying actuarial tables to calculate what premiums need to be.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lloyd's horse always made me assume they were saying their investments are a dark horse.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

Lloyd's horse always made me assume they were saying their investments are a dark horse.

Wikipedia says it's based on fairly obscure historical origins, being the sign of the goldsmith shop where a precursor of the bank was based for a few decades in the sixteen-hundreds.

Of course that doesn't explain a) why it is still the same, and b) why would a goldsmith have a horse shop sign in the first place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On a related note, why do pawnbrokers have three balls?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One less and it'd be a ballbreakers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ballbrokers sounds like the inevitable evolution of all those antiques/cash in attic/pawn stars shows.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1225379732302245888

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good job I ordered in advance.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

From St Nicholas, patron saint of merchants and pawnbrokers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas#Iconography

quote:

In one of the earliest attested and most famous incidents from his life, he is said to have rescued three girls from being forced into prostitution by dropping a sack of gold coins through the window of their house each night for three nights so their father could pay a dowry for each of them. ... The episode with the three dowries is commemorated by showing him holding in his hand either three purses, three coins or three balls of gold

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Guavanaut posted:

It's from the coat of arms of the OG bankers of the early medieval era the Medici family who were bankers to about half the royal families in Europe. Over time it became the symbol of high class bankers then the symbol of bankers then the symbol of anyone lending money.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So it's canon that Santa has three balls?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Problem: Working class Americans are not working class British. The working class British are a particular issue at the moment as their personal zeitgeist is one of racism, paranoia and insularity. There's currently nothing to energise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Because someone hocked one to make rent.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ha ha yes

https://twitter.com/JohnHyphen/status/1225344849924284416?s=19

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is incredibly petty and childish.

But then again so is Brexit, so fair play.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/JohnHyphen/status/1225346981108879361

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

I feel bad for the Irish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

sebzilla posted:

I'm a black horse with a black horse family and we like to dramatically gallop down stormy beaches, but I'm not happy with Lloyds' interest rates so I bank with HSBC.

e: HSBC, the massively patronising fake localism advertising bank

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 6, 2020