Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I think historically on LG TVs, they've provided meaningful software updates for them for approximately 2 years after release. So far since launch, they've implemented major features including a collaboration with Nvidia to certify the TV as gsync compatible (for 16xx and 20xx series GPUs only), and a few bugfixes here and there.

The OS is competent but I personally found the built in apps lacking. I also don't really enjoy having to agree to a privacy policy in order to pull up YouTube. I mean I get that google's privacy policy is probably 100x worse, but I don't really feel like LG should get to know about my watching habits there on top of Google already mining every keystroke I make on their websites. So honestly, for watching media and stuff, even if it's not as convenient, I end up using an external device for it. I wouldn't describe the LG interface as "snappy", but it's usable and not infuriating.

It was a really nice contrast from a Q6FN I ended up getting Samsung to refund me for over several defects it had, but some stuff as a baseline were also bad. Built in ads on the home screens, constant re-enabling of poo poo I turned off, "smart detection" that would break and either reset my display preferences or not even detect a device anymore, as well as the interface being slow and unpleasant to use.

Hrmmmm, only 2 years? I kept my last TV (a dumb Samsung plasma) for eight.

This thing was too expensive for me to get a new one every couple years. If I really can't expect updates longer than that, it might be a deal breaker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let's clarify what's meant by updates.

Firmware updates for the TV will drop off, but that's to be expected as bugs and such are discovered over time and then resolved.

Updates to the apps that the TV platform support will continue. My C6 was 3.5 years old and still got Disney Plus as a new app this fall.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm probably just living in 2009 but I've never once thought about the OS on my TV or if it would receive updates. It's a foreign concept to me. A TV is the thing you plug other stuff into to play games or watch stuff.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'm probably just living in 2009 but I've never once thought about the OS on my TV or if it would receive updates. It's a foreign concept to me. A TV is the thing you plug other stuff into to play games or watch stuff.

Still loving my 60" Samsung "dumb" plasma TV!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

American McGay posted:

When I plugged in my Shield, it took a few minutes to install firmware and restarted. Then the remote had to install firmware and restart.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My 2011 Vizio stopped getting app updates years ago, I'm not sure if any of them even function now. I know for a fact that Netflix stopped working because it notified me.

TV still works tho. I mean, pretty much every time you turn it off it goes into a boot cycle but other than that...(really should replace it)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
When does LG's product cycle normally begin/end? Costco is running the 65 C9 for $2050, that's about as good as I've seen it from a legit retailer and that will be with 4 years of costco warranty and a fifth year of square trade (neither of which cover burn-in of course). Is it gonna go much lower than that?

(might be interested in the 55 C9 if it got down closer to $1000 but for an extra $600 I'd probably spring for the 65)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 28, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sales vary wildly these days but conventional wisdom used to be that January-March were the best times to get a great deal on "last year's model" of an LG OLED.

If you're looking for a C9 I'd target 1800 for a 65 and 1100 for a 55.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wonder if the 77 will take a meaningful drop.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

When does LG's product cycle normally begin/end? Costco is running the 65 C9 for $2050, that's about as good as I've seen it from a legit retailer and that will be with 4 years of costco warranty and a fifth year of square trade (neither of which cover burn-in of course). Is it gonna go much lower than that?

(might be interested in the 55 C9 if it got down closer to $1000 but for an extra $600 I'd probably spring for the 65)

Just gonna clarify (because I work there).

If you are getting the 4 years of the Costco warranty because you have their credit card then the run basically goes: 1+1 years through the store (technically the first year is the manufacturer) -> years 3,4,5 through Square Trade -> years 6, 7 through Citi.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I bought a cheap LG TV (55" 7300U when it was $400 at best buy) a couple months ago and I'm surprised by how well all the software actually works. it's definitely delayed my decision to add another streaming device for a bit.

I'm also pretty happy with my decision to buy an IPS screen, even if it doesn't get as bright. viewing angles are underrated.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
And black overrated?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

What does it mean for a cable to have “dynamic” HDR as a feature? I get that HDR content requires more bandwidth, and TVs can dynamically adjust brightness to increase the range, but what is “dynamic” about the cable data transfer itself? Am I just being dumb and over analyzing marketing speak, or does this mean something real? Are there any non-dynamic HDR cables, and what can’t they do that this can?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31230

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 29, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I would be wary of any 48gbps cables at this point given that the HDMI 2.1 test suite isn’t officially finished yet.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's been $1800 all-in (taxes, shipping) from some legit retailers for a while. https://slickdeals.net/f/13815257-greentoe-lg-oled-65-oled65c9pua-1799-taxes-and-delivery-included-1799?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1 Greentoe basically sells on behalf of major retailers (e.g. BuyDig, BestBuy) who don't want to advertise a lower price for obvious reasons but sometimes sell at the lower price. They're all retailers who will have the full LG warranty at least.

It was $1700 not long ago https://slickdeals.net/f/13805240-lg-oled-65-oled65c9pua-1699-with-code?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

I just picked up a B9 65" for $1600 incl. tax/shipping since the slightly higher stats of the C9 seem irrelevant to me.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm trying to distinguish between normal grain or noise after watching Marriage Story from Netflix on OLED. Anyone else seen it and experienced the same? There's a general snow to a lot of shots, which I assume is just grain, but on some of the shots (like a lawyer's shirt) it looks like the image is just dancing around.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm trying to distinguish between normal grain or noise after watching Marriage Story from Netflix on OLED. Anyone else seen it and experienced the same? There's a general snow to a lot of shots, which I assume is just grain, but on some of the shots (like a lawyer's shirt) it looks like the image is just dancing around.

Netflix tends to overuse the film grain effect in all of their original series, so if you're pixel peeping for noise you may want to use another video source.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HDR can also tend to emphasis grain (real or otherwise).

Marriage Story was shot on 35mm, so the grain is likely real.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is this the thread for shopping recommendations? I'm in the market for a 70-80"ish TV. This will be away from the dedicated home theater/media/gaming area, so outside of being 4K with the "good HDR" my needs are pretty casual. It will have an Apple TV 4K hooked up to it, and nothing else.

My only absolute must-have feature is that it can display 24/30/60 fps content without mandatory motion-smoothing. It's my understanding that most entry-level sets don't let you toggle that off, so if anything's gonna drive my prices up I guess it's that.

Don't need any smart features/apps, but I don't suppose those really affect prices these days since they're pretty ubiquitous.

For reference, it'll be replacing this Insignia/Best Buy TV, which I've been very happy with for living room use. Better color and viewing angles than I'd expect from a ~$200 model, and none of that drat motion smoothing I alluded to. So I'm looking to maintain parity with that, just with a bigger screen and 4K/HDR.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 29, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sandball posted:

Just gonna clarify (because I work there).

If you are getting the 4 years of the Costco warranty because you have their credit card then the run basically goes: 1+1 years through the store (technically the first year is the manufacturer) -> years 3,4,5 through Square Trade -> years 6, 7 through Citi.

Do you think it’s worth $350 to go from 1 year warranty to 7 years? Obviously doesn’t cover burn-in which is the major concern on OLED, and I haven’t heard great things about the square trade warranties. And it’s probably going to crap out immediately or not at all.

But let’s say it craps out 6 years in. What would Square or Citi do for me? Full refund, replacement cost (for whatever they determine to be “equivalent”), or what?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 30, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It just comes down to how long you want to keep TVs as technology advances. If you're going to trade up every few years it's less important. I bought mine online, but my mom's came from Costco for the extra $$$.

$2050 with the ridiculous warranty is a damned good deal.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
For Square Trade I usually just see people get offered a fairly equivalent store model of TV but you can always push for a full refund from them (it's in their terms if they can't push a refurb TV on you).

I don't really get to see what happens for the Citi warranty side of things but I assume it's the same as the 1+1 warranty which usually ends with the same store replacement.

As for the cost difference I don't know if it's gonna be worth it. You're kind of right at the period where retailers are going to start marking down their models pretty hard and Greentoe offers are already starting to beat the Costco prices.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
So I have a Samsung UN82MU8000 82" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q1ZF3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1) that says it's 240hz. I'm unable to get anything past 60hz to show up in Windows (using it as HTPC) with a an EVGA 2080 Ti (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2483-KR)

Did I fall victim for the old 'this feature makes it similar to 120+mhz but it really isn't' scheme, or am I loving something up on my end?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Yeah, panel refresh has no bearing on what the inputs support. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu8000 inputs section says it doesn't support anything beyond 60 hz -- even at 1080P.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tehran 1979 posted:

So I have a Samsung UN82MU8000 82" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q1ZF3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1) that says it's 240hz. I'm unable to get anything past 60hz to show up in Windows (using it as HTPC) with a an EVGA 2080 Ti (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2483-KR)

Did I fall victim for the old 'this feature makes it similar to 120+mhz but it really isn't' scheme, or am I loving something up on my end?

Yeah native refresh rate is 120 on that TV

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Tehran 1979 posted:

That's probably talking about the panel refresh, not what the input is. You're likely not gonna get anything above 60 on that TV.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Any tips on color settings for my TCL 6 series? The HDR settings on everything just seem so dark. Trying to watch the Super Bowl with the Fox Now app and it just looks bad no matter what I do. Of course I’m comparing it to my OLED which looks fantastic with just picking a default setting.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Astro7x posted:

Any tips on color settings for my TCL 6 series? The HDR settings on everything just seem so dark. Trying to watch the Super Bowl with the Fox Now app and it just looks bad no matter what I do. Of course I’m comparing it to my OLED which looks fantastic with just picking a default setting.

It’s not just you. I’m watching on a 6 series too with directv and the game looks dark. Highlights on the helmets look ok but I’m guessing it’s either a side effect of HLG or the stadium lighting not being bright enough.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fox have hosed the 4K web stream up so badly. I’ve watched a TNF game and it looked great, but the quality keeps dropping down to sub cable levels. I don’t get the HLG element as I’m on an older older, but it’s crap.

Like, you know how much traffic is needed for this.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I saw one of those jerk off, self congratulatory LinkedIn posts frown someone at Verizon media services tonight (they’re the fox cdn) and threw up in my mouth a little bit. Glad it’s unearned.

edit:

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 3, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm watching the 4k stream via Fox Sports app on my 2019 6 Series and it looks stunning. Since it's a little behind I can go back to cable and then back to the app for some comparison.

Its never dropped in quality one bit for me.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The HDR on my OLED looks great, so I know it’s not the NFL stream. And I’m also flipping back and forth between the app and my DirecTV and the app looks so good.

I found Mandalorian unwatchable in HDR on my 6 series. Really disappointing... it was so dark I had to pump up the brightness and then the letterboxing looked gray

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m watching on an Apple TV and on a gigabit fiber line, the annoying thing is when the quality drops it never recovers so I have to kill it and start it again. When it drops its super noticeable.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Worked fine for us, no drops. I don’t think it was 4k though, just upscaled 1080p afaik

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it was only filmed at 1080p, but Fox is usually 720p so the quality would be better on that alone. Also, it being upscaled to 4k meant that it was using better compression tech and wasn't quite as bit starved.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ah ok, fair enough. By the way, LG 2019 sets (most of the medium-higher end ones, definitely the OLEDs) apparently got the Apple TV app today, but I have no idea how to access it. Maybe it will roll out over this week like some of the other updates.

e: never mind I found it, it's on the (absolutely terrible) LG store, but personally I had to search for it, it didn't come up on the home page or in the NEW section, YMMV.

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 5, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not really TV related but kind of?

The new Escalade is packing a shitload of screen space and it's all OLED stuff so I'm wondering what the 4-5 year lease returns will look like and how they'll mitigate burn-in.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They won’t, lol.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh I should have bought that c9 when it went on sale for 1600 in November. Waiting for either another deal on the c9 and/or the C10 is getting old. Doesn't look like they discounted around the Superbowl at all this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh I should have bought that c9 when it went on sale for 1600 in November. Waiting for either another deal on the c9 and/or the C10 is getting old. Doesn't look like they discounted around the Superbowl at all this year.

Listen, man, I don't want to get all starry-eyed about the costs/benefits of postponing current pleasure but you've been posting in this thread consistently for more than two years, always weighing whether to pull the trigger. I guarantee you have watched twenty times as many hours of television since you first posted here than it would take you to earn the money to buy an OLED.

BUY. THE. TELEVISION.