Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

not an emptyquote

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
The Punisher cool-down build was nice, if you had enough c/d reduction you could shoot all his guns, reload, and repeat indefinitely. Then they made his one button channeled LMG better than everything else.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
what was the hardest character to play? i remember mr strange had a lot of buttons??

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

802.11weed posted:

what was the hardest character to play? i remember mr strange had a lot of buttons??

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Cosmicing arrowman wasn't that difficult but it's been too long to remember what the good skills were

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

802.11weed posted:

Strange had a lot of buttons but if you arranged them in the most commonly effective combo that worked 95% of the time you could literally press 123456 over and over to generate massive overlapping kill fields while triggering tons of debuffs in the process. It only needed modification against certain raid/event bosses IIRC.

I think the reworks solved all the truly difficult characters, of course some were still much (much) better than others but nobody was like unplayably hard. I mean, I beat the cosmic trial with pre-rework Squirrel Girl :nutfacts:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Jusupov posted:

Cosmicing arrowman wasn't that difficult but it's been too long to remember what the good skills were

I think the shotgun arrows were good for a while until Gaz fixed them.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I remember using an AutoIt script to automate Dr. Strange and shaving like 30 seconds off his ttk.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jusupov posted:

Don't taze me bro!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Never yellowed

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Holyshoot posted:

Never yellowed

Only yellow thing for you is your belly

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Remembering one-shotting bosses with brutal hits on Blade’s signature

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I prestiged only once, and the game surprise shutdown literally the next day. COINCIDENCE? It was Hawkeye, too. I was gonna do a walk down memory lane prestiging people in the order I unlocked them.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Lozareth posted:

I remember using an AutoIt script to automate Dr. Strange and shaving like 30 seconds off his ttk.

I remember some event when there was a daily logon reward while I was gone for 2 weeks, so I set up a script to log in and claim it every day.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Remember when the game first came out, and they forced you to pick something like 1 of 5 characters without ever getting a chance to try them?

I remember. Mine was Storm.

I heard later they let you pick one of any character (along with letting you play all them to level 5 I think for free). Later comers were lucky.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

PureRok posted:

Remember when the game first came out, and they forced you to pick something like 1 of 5 characters without ever getting a chance to try them?

I heard later they let you pick one of any character (along with letting you play all them to level 5 I think for free). Later comers were lucky.

Just lol if you didn't drop $80 before the game launched on character packs

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I remember some event when there was a daily logon reward while I was gone for 2 weeks, so I set up a script to log in and claim it every day.

Wasn't this the game where a dev logged some guy on so he didn't miss the login bonus?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Humerus posted:

Wasn't this the game where a dev logged some guy on so he didn't miss the login bonus?

I think I paid $40 or $60 and it was for whatever the pack with Rocket, Colossus, Jean Grey and... I don't remember who the 4th was. Nightcrawler maybe?

I think I picked Daredevil as the starter and he was pretty awful at release.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I refuse to go and recalculate how much I spent because it brought me great shame

Depression is a hell of a drug

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I still remember the stories of ICR going to 7-11 to buy steam gift cards with cash and using those to buy Gazbucks in order to hide the marvel heroes expenditures from the wife.

and then me doing the same thing

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I bought at least one of the advance packs and never played multiple heroes in them that I paid literal real actual dollars USD for.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

pokchu posted:

I still remember the stories of ICR going to 7-11 to buy steam gift cards with cash and using those to buy Gazbucks in order to hide the marvel heroes expenditures from the wife.

and then me doing the same thing

What was the excuse to your wife for spending hundreds of dollars at a gas station? Lmao

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
His gas station food addiction. Do you not remember the bloodfeuds about Sheetz and Wawa?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

PureRok posted:

I remember starting a second account because I didn't like my first choice. Pre-rework Captain America: Not even once, folks.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I accidentally played the long game and picked Thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I remember starting a second account because I didn't like my first choice. Pre-rework Captain America: Not even once, folks.

Today's discussion jogged my memory about more of the characters in their pre-rework state and *sucks teeth* yeeeeaaaahh maybe there were a few that were, um, challenging to succeed with. Pretty sure I didn't see many Daredevils or Moon Knights running around then either.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I spent over $500 on this drat game smack in the middle of an unrelated divorce but at least I cosmic'd twice

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

HebrewMagic posted:

spent over $500 on this drat game

HebrewMagic posted:

unrelated divorce

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

McSpanky posted:

Today's discussion jogged my memory about more of the characters in their pre-rework state and *sucks teeth* yeeeeaaaahh maybe there were a few that were, um, challenging to succeed with. Pretty sure I didn't see many Daredevils or Moon Knights running around then either.
Just makes me think about how we never got the Taskmaster signature (or ult) I wanted: literally anything else

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I did buy a number of those blind boxes that had characters / costumes / random boosts. I'm the problem, sorry guys .

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The only way you're the problem is that you didn't buy enough to keep this stupid game afloat.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
It's been a while, has anyone found the assets to this in some dark corner of the internet and now running private servers???

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Humerus posted:

Yup. IIRC, it was Doomsaw who did it.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I accidentally played the long game and picked Thing.

Same.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

McSpanky posted:

I played the poo poo out of Moon Knight before the rework but he was basically a worse Ms. Marvel.
Funny story, before his rework one of his best in slot items (I don't recall which) was a yellow item with the right rolls because his uniques were just that bad.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Humerus posted:

I played the poo poo out of Moon Knight before the rework but he was basically a worse Ms. Marvel.
Funny story, before his rework one of his best in slot items (I don't recall which) was a yellow item with the right rolls because his uniques were just that bad.
Wasn't the gimmick that his uniques were, worn together, a hybrid build that was much, much worse than stacking rares?

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Humerus posted:

Doomsaw would log into your character if you asked him to. My friend was stuck with their dad in the hospital for pretty much the duration of one event and Doomsaw covered them.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Wasn't the gimmick that his uniques were, worn together, a hybrid build that was much, much worse than stacking rares?

Yeah that sounds right because his ranged stuff sucked rear end but most of his uniques added to ranged and melee so it was a waste.

The most hilarious Moon Knight thing was his spinny staff attack that wasn't very good but the animation was so it was worth using.

I miss this dead game, I very nearly Cosmic'd Captain Marvel but decided against it, then when they announced the shutdown and made everything free* in the cash shop I thought "oh I could buy all the boosts and cosmic her" but by then there really was no point and of course the game shut down way early anyway.

*It was the most Gaz thing that they couldn't actually do this so they put everything on sale and gave free Gs everyday

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Humerus posted:

Yeah that sounds right because his ranged stuff sucked rear end but most of his uniques added to ranged and melee so it was a waste.

The most hilarious Moon Knight thing was his spinny staff attack that wasn't very good but the animation was so it was worth using.
His first iteration felt entirely like they build around "he should be THE Idol of Khonshu hero" and since that was a bonus to melee damage after using ranged and vice versa, iirc

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The first iteration of almost every character was bad. They were either seriously under- or overtuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Balance is pretty drat hard, and that's in games where things aren't half as slapdash as the manually turn on events game.