Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Trip Report: Very steezy, Xmas came late but there is more to come. Gonna get it again on friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I want to thank you guys for your input here over the years. I was able to get funding for a Student Veteran program based on some of the suggestions made here. It means a lot because our benefits keep getting slashed and Canada has no GI Bill.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hi guys I'm a student vet now. Better than AD A+

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

maffew buildings posted:

Nothing beats getting paid to feel like Billy Madison and peep yoga butts, welcome to the club

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

Nothing beats getting paid to feel like Billy Madison and peep yoga butts, welcome to the club

Presuming you are not engaging in a class where "please ask questions, I'm not going to move on unless you ask questions" is a thing. But considering it's the one single draw back to showing up to school late, it owns! Welcome!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I did everything I could to walk around with my eyes on the ground during rush and even then it was impossible to avoid seeing some 17 year olds butthole. Like christ kid, that skirt didnt cover your rear end before you bent down to adjust those 6" heels you can barely walk in.

Yoga class is fair game if you're actively participating though, that shits hard.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

Protip: There is tons of free food on campus, so if you don't mind eating pizza and sandwiches a lot, there's your lunch.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's a fair point but I don't think it applies as 1. it should have hit my previous semester's MHA and 2. this is my second bite at the apple as I used my GI Bill for an MS in my previous career back in 2014-15

This is a great rule if you are a GS/Contractor in a high cost area with a base satellite campus.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone here have experience with applying for unemployment while using the post 9/11 GI Bill? I know lawmakers made this a no go due to their "gently caress the troops" policy, but also the department of labor didn't kick out guidance (as far as I know) and it's a state level thing. I'm in California so if there's anywhere that would be ok with it this is probably it, but wanted to see what you guys know. Figured I would ask here versus the vets resource thread since students and all.

Taking all science and math after spending five years inhaling burning trash and doing lovely construction is hard, also.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Technicallllly no one can draw unemployment in a student status. If you have time for school you have time to work—seems a bit backwards but that’s the logic. You fill out an online thing every two weeks about your current life/work/school status. They’ll never ask for transcripts or anything.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone here have experience with applying for unemployment while using the post 9/11 GI Bill? I know lawmakers made this a no go due to their "gently caress the troops" policy, but also the department of labor didn't kick out guidance (as far as I know) and it's a state level thing. I'm in California so if there's anywhere that would be ok with it this is probably it, but wanted to see what you guys know. Figured I would ask here versus the vets resource thread since students and all.

Taking all science and math after spending five years inhaling burning trash and doing lovely construction is hard, also.

I am pretty sure you can collect unemployment and use the GI Bill here in California. THIS article agrees and gives instructions for how to collect the benefit.

edit- there is a blurb about some states considering full time student status as not being able to work. I don't think this is true in California but it might be easier to just not mention the full time student thing when applying for unemployment.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 9, 2020

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Technicallllly no one can draw unemployment in a student status. If you have time for school you have time to work—seems a bit backwards but that’s the logic. You fill out an online thing every two weeks about your current life/work/school status. They’ll never ask for transcripts or anything.

This is my understanding although its more if you can attend school you cant be actively looking for/able to work full time.

Hekk posted:

I am pretty sure you can collect unemployment and use the GI Bill here in California. THIS article agrees and gives instructions for how to collect the benefit.

edit- there is a blurb about some states considering full time student status as not being able to work. I don't think this is true in California but it might be easier to just not mention the full time student thing when applying for unemployment.

This just says that the GI bill doesnt count against your UI I think. It doesnt render a verdict on eligibility. To claim unemployment in CA I am under the impression you have to be able to look for work full time. Student status would render you ineligible to collect and they do and will ask about this. I wouldn't recommend lying.

Source: I just started collecting CA unemployment. The EDD people have always been really helpful and given me the benefit of the doubt to make sure I qualify for the max benefit. They would probably be a better resource.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 9, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The EDD resources stated that you are eligible as a student provided you look and accept work if you are able to, they don't rule out benefits solely due to student status. Just wanted to know if anyone had done this first hand.

The application has a section regarding school/job training. The programs listed for educational training do not include the GI Bill, they don't ask about it anywhere, just your schedule.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just apply for jobs you can't get and fill out the worksheet each week if you really want to do it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It would be more about maintaining status for both in that situation right? That linked article says the GI bill doesnt effect your benefit otherwise. Like I said, every time I've talked to them they have always tried to interpret things in the best light in regards to my eligibility and claim so I wouldn't be afraid of talking to them.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah just have to maintain your eligibility status and everything. Nothing they haven't seen a bunch of times already I'm guessing. I'll report back when I find out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Well good luck! I wish I had unemployment during school.

If this is your first time and you've never called them, it's a pain. I always apply online if possible and then get scheduled for an interview, although this time all my correspondence came about a week late and after the interview. The calls always go well once I'm talking to someone, everything is frustrating as hell.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I had it back in 08-09, I mailed stuff in they sent me a benefits pack and money. They just have you fax it in as a vet with your 214 info included. If it's anything like my past experience they'll just make a determination. We'll see.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Unemployment is impossible to get ahold of with calling. Super limited window too.

I remember it did the extra gently caress you of “sorry high call volume, click” after you navigate the drat mess

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It wasn't so bad for me in Texas. I went online to sign up for it, then I had to go to a class, talk to the veteran guy there, and then just apply for a certain number of jobs per week, and then request money whenever it was time.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Louisiana's unemployment was incredibly horrible poo poo and I hope whoever designed it burns in hell

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone here have experience with applying for unemployment while using the post 9/11 GI Bill?

Sort of. I took two years off for school, then when I graduated I put in for unemployment until I could get hired. So I was told I didn't qualify because I hadn't worked in the last two years. "No poo poo", I said, "I just told you I was in school".

Were you looking for work?

"No....because I was in school"

So, no unemployment

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I spent my first year out collecting California unemployment and going to school. It was fine, so long as you pinky swear that you'll take a job if it's offered. Just have to fax in the application with your dd214, go to the class they schedule for you, create a calworks account, then jump online every two weeks to fill out the job search form. The only hitch is, since your benefit amount is determined by your previous year's income, your second year of unemployment will be for substantially less than your first. I think they'll only let you do two years at a time, too.

Finally got accepted to my new school. They transferred a bunch of old credits that the other one didn't take. gently caress yeah, I'm suddenly a senior.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I had that happen when my DLI credits finally processed. Went from being a sophomore to being a senior taking sophomore level classes overnight.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got out of a few classes that way. Well worth the day or two of getting transcripts and talking to the resource office to translate what my Army training covered to get some basic courses just checked off entirely.

They also had a "Your 18 and probably dumb. Here's how to do time management, make a budget and stuff" class that I showed up to one day of, talked to the teacher afterwards and they agreed that a 30-year old veteran probably doesn't need that class so they just signed off on me completing it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I waited until I was 100 credits into my degree before completing the required 1 credit "Introduction to Research" class that the school refused to waive. By that point I'd already finished 3 academic writing classes and a history class that was primarily writing essays, so I was fairly familiar with research and APA and MLA citations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I could have waived my PE credits, but took Tennis 1 and Golf 1 to fill out my summer full-time hours instead. A++++ would forever recommend.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I went with beginning jazz dance. Yoga and bowling always filled up too fast but would highly recommend a dance class.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hate to be all “back when I was in college” but drat we didn’t have any progressive class options at all, or martial arts etc. Just dance & weightlifting.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
3 credits this semester for aircraft ground school :clint:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
my university didn't have a PE requirement at all, but the gym was loving insane

lots of classes yoga martial arts etc, indoor track, outdoor swimming pool that isn't even open during the school year, two swimming pools (one with a diving well), an ice rink, legit rock climbing gym, absolutely the most beautiful weightroom I ever saw - two long rows of fully modular power racks and nothing but bumper plates

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

There is a turbo load of work this final semester but I'm taking little bites every day. The teachers set up the writing classes such that you can't cram your manuscript at the last moment, we have to do peer drafting. Just starting to go a little nuts because I on'y have to write a little every day, but I have to write every day. Ten more weeks.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

my university didn't have a PE requirement at all, but the gym was loving insane

lots of classes yoga martial arts etc, indoor track, outdoor swimming pool that isn't even open during the school year, two swimming pools (one with a diving well), an ice rink, legit rock climbing gym, absolutely the most beautiful weightroom I ever saw - two long rows of fully modular power racks and nothing but bumper plates

I kinda wish I lived closer to campus because my school’s gym is basically this exact same thing and I wish I had more time to take advantage of it. They’ve got some overnight camping/backpacking classes coming up this spring I kinda want to do.

That reminds me, there’s a Wilderness First Responder course coming up this spring between the spring and summer sessions, does anybody have experience with using voc rehab or gi bill funds for something like that?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
hmm tis the season to submit all my background check information to my state bar.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I hadn't been planning to attend my graduation, but Dan Carlin is the speaker

I just might have to set aside seventeen hours for a four part commencement speech

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

poo poo can I go

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah pretty sure anybody can walk right the hell in, but the stadium has a clear bag policy you should know up front

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Guess it depends on the school. A lot have crazy restrictions on all that

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Guess it depends on the school. A lot have crazy restrictions on all that

unlimited seating, no tickets required

Another fair warning, we got several inches of wet snow for last year's ceremony, so bring your snivel gear of choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I filed my taxes and claimed the American Opportunity Tax Credit this year. So even though tuition assistance and a First Generation Scholarship paid for all of my expenses, by claiming $2,500 of the scholarship money as taxable income (I paid 309 dollars in taxes on it), I qualified for a $2,500 dollar tax reduction.

Even if you owe no taxes at all, you can still get up to $1000 back. Just something to think about for those of you who haven't filed taxes yet.