Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Holy loving poo poo

Imagine being one of the technicians sitting at a terminal in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Oopsy daisy

https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1225083171223539712

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that looks bad. that looks "people died" bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Inacio posted:

that looks bad. that looks "people died" bad.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-05/pegasus-jet-splits-in-two-after-veering-off-runway-in-istanbul?srnd=markets-vp

Turkey says no fatalities, 183 people on board, 21 injured.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
pegasus airlines! i fuckin love those guys. you can get a preflight package where they bring you three beers for like 9 tl

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

Imagine being one of the technicians sitting at a terminal in the back.

No

Actually, assuming I don't poo poo myself, hell yes

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Wind changing to strong tailwind right at the time of the accident.

https://archive-server.liveatc.net/ltfj/LTFJ-Feb-05-2020-1500Z.mp3
ATC audio, I haven't listened to it yet but the PPRUNE word is that it's about 20 minutes in, and tower read them the tailwind before the landing.

e: and that 2 obvious planes went around for the tailwind

vessbot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 5, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

hobbesmaster posted:

For example that time Boeing engineers thought the 717’s stall characteristics looked weird and asked for a test with a right bank...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CsO-Vu7oc

Do we have any idea how much altitude they lost doing that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Do we have any idea how much altitude they lost doing that?

Started at 15k ft, the FO puts his arm on the CPT at 10k ft is what I recall from an explanation article. Not sure where they ended up

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Holy loving poo poo

Yeah that uh, escalates quickly. :staredog:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speaking of escalating, that Pegasus 737 now has a death toll of 3 and 179 injured.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of escalating, that Pegasus 737 now has a death toll of 3 and 179 injured.

it looked far too rough for nobody dead

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
drat, RIP.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Started at 15k ft, the FO puts his arm on the CPT at 10k ft is what I recall from an explanation article. Not sure where they ended up

From squinting closely at the tape in the upper right, where each major indicator is 500 feet, it looks like they start at about 15200 and regain a positive rate of climb at ~5700 feet. Don't know what that is AGL obviously.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

From squinting closely at the tape in the upper right, where each major indicator is 500 feet, it looks like they start at about 15200 and regain a positive rate of climb at ~5700 feet. Don't know what that is AGL obviously.

I was trying to read that but the video (and audio) quality is not great! I think you're right. I also thought I heard "too low terrain" the first time I listened but I think that was just the guys saying something to each other.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

By this metric I counted 18 bars and some change in 27 seconds so gently caress average 20k FPM?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

hobbesmaster posted:

For example that time Boeing engineers thought the 717’s stall characteristics looked weird and asked for a test with a right bank...

Well that’ll wake you up better than any coffee can.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

nope

nope nope nope

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

shame on an IGA posted:

By this metric I counted 18 bars and some change in 27 seconds so gently caress average 20k FPM?

20 thousands gently caress! per minute seems about right.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

karoshi posted:

20 thousands gently caress! per minute seems about right.

Or if you're a test pilot, "whoooops".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Again as I recall it is AGL as the test flight was over the ocean.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or if you're a test pilot, "whoooops".

Both pilots were retired USN test pilots so it might’ve been “that takes me back”. At least that’s what someone said in the Cold War thread the last time it was posted. The real answer of course was “is everyone not wearing a 5 point harness ok?”

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 6, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

“is everyone not wearing a 5 point harness ok?”

Fine but for the poo poo dribbling out my shirt collar.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

More from the Youtube comments:

Youtube posted:

Doing a little research on this, it appears that this is a McD test pilot crew in the 1998-1999 time frame. Boeing had owned McD by the time they rolled out the first MD95/717, but remember that McD was still a subsidiary at that point with its existing lines of authority and organization. So these are McD guys in the cockpit, possibly ex-Navy Vietnam fighter pilot Randy Wyatt in the right seat, who went on to be a Boeing test pilot, including on the 747LCF, and definitely Gary "Bear" Smith in the left seat. Bear had been an active-duty Navy fighter pilot -- indeed, he was a Blue Angel -- prior to joining the Douglas test pilot group, and stayed active in the Naval Reserves. He died in 2005 in his Super Decathalon while giving advanced flight instruction to an instrument-rated private pilot near Oroville; apparently the student was at the controls.

It appears that this was Developmental or Certification stall testing on the aircraft, specifically the aggravated/accelerated entry points where the speed is changed at more than 1 knot per second. According to a guy that did the same tests on the MD90, having the aircraft depart like that during the accelerated entry points wasn't unusual. Pilots will notice that Bear is holding the aircraft fully cross-controlled as the test proceeds until it departs from controlled flight.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The clown show computer future continues. Coffee spills is such a cultural icon, it has messed up mathematical formulas and building blueprints, turns out it can also shut down Airbus engines and make them not start again. EASA just published an AD:

quote:

Two in-service occurrences were reported involving inadvertent liquid spillage on the ENG START panel or ECAM Control Panel (ECP) on the centre pedestal in the flight deck on A350 aeroplanes. In both cases, the aeroplane experienced an un-commanded engine in-flight shut-down (IFSD) of an engine some time after the liquid spillage. Subsequent engine relight attempts were not successful. In both events, the flight crew performed a diversion and landed the aeroplane safely.

Results of the preliminary technical investigations indicate abnormal operation of the components of the ENG START panel or ECP due to liquid spillage in the system.
This condition, if not corrected, could lead to a dual engine IFSD, possibly resulting in a forced landing with consequent damage to the aeroplane and injury to occupants.
To address these occurrences, Airbus published the applicable AFM TR defining a liquid prohibited zone in the cockpit, and the procedures to be followed in the case of inadvertent liquid spillage on the centre pedestal. Airbus also published the FOT, reminding operators about the standard practices for handling liquids in the cockpit to reduce the probability of hazards.

https://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/EASA_AD_2020_0020_E.pdf/EAD_2020-0020-E_1

More here:

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/a350-engine-shutdown-incidents-linked-to-cockpit-drink-spills/136434.article

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Soooo, mandatory sippy cups?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Man, I would have figured that flight safety critical switches that could remotely be subject to liquid spills were designed to be resistant to that failure mode. I guess that bean counters are the bane of all human existence.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One wonders if it's physically impossible or extremely lucky that both engines didn't go.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

EightBit posted:

Man, I would have figured that flight safety critical switches that could remotely be subject to liquid spills were designed to be resistant to that failure mode. I guess that bean counters are the bane of all human existence.

When you design something foolproof, the universe produces a stronger fool.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

EightBit posted:

In passenger stuff we put drip shields underneath every gap around a panel that someone could even remotely put a drink on. But when I worked on cockpit installs, there was no such thing because in that plane there was no flat surface to put a drink.

My last project was one of those super-first-class suites. We built a full mockup for PDR and purposely handed out lots of coffee and water to the customer reps to log where they were absent-mindedly setting them down when inspecting the mockup.

One of them put it on top of the door. Another on top of the IFE monitor. A third on top of the charger/usb ports.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ApathyGifted posted:

One of them put it on top of the door.

This is amazing.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Pilots, and by extension all humans, are dirty fukkin animals and I can’t fathom why anything electrically critical in an airplane doesn’t look like one of those flip phones construction guys are always carrying around. Also, the drat thing is like 200 million dollars. How much more would it have cost to waterproof the flight deck?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm guessing that "OVERSPEED" warning means you're going too fast?

Also, it looks like the plane is from a Wiley Coyote universe and realized it can't actually fly and just started falling.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

EightBit posted:

Bean counters and bean spillers: the natural enemies of good aviation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ApathyGifted posted:

My last project was one of those super-first-class suites. We built a full mockup for PDR and purposely handed out lots of coffee and water to the customer reps to log where they were absent-mindedly setting them down when inspecting the mockup.

This is loving genius. Serious kudos to whomever came up with that idea.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Soooo, mandatory sippy cups?

The airline I work for actually did that.

We had a couple of spills onto circuit breakers, so we all got mandatory mugs with lids, which were the only thing that was going to be allowed onto the flight deck.

Since good travel mugs actually cost money, these were the cheapest possible ones the company could find, and the lids were a press-fit that came off if you so much as looked at them funny. After several of those fell onto the circuit breakers when the lid fell off, the idea was quickly abandoned (it lasted maybe two weeks), but no one ever sent out an email or memo admitting the "mandatory sippy cup" program was dead.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

beep-beep car is go posted:

I'm guessing that "OVERSPEED" warning means you're going too fast?

Correct. Above certain airspeeds, the forces acting on the airframe can become so great that they cause structural damage. Maneuvering creates additional forces, so there are safe speeds for that too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Arson Daily posted:

Also, the drat thing is like 200 million dollars. How much more would it have cost to waterproof the flight deck?
I mean, wasn't the 737 Max thing seriously aggravated by the AoA disagreement indicator being optional which would have been a pretty solid pointer in the direction of what was going wrong?

That indicator has to be a lot cheaper than waterproofing electronics, yet here we are.

In conclusion, bean counters ruin everything.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Even if it could be waterproofed, why is it possible for any electrical connection right there to fail in a way which switches an engine off and also prevents it coming back on? I doubt all the important engine brains are located inside that coffee table, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

Even though airliners fly fine on one engine, as I said earlier it must be just random chance that both weren't knocked out. Maybe it's the fire switches, is it possible to smash both and kill both engines?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Correct. Above certain airspeeds, the forces acting on the airframe can become so great that they cause structural damage. Maneuvering creates additional forces, so there are safe speeds for that too.

Though they probably weren’t in any immediate danger - the overspeed warning is for maximum operating speed which is less than the maximum proven dive speed (ie what the test flight program does) and there should still be some slight safety margin above that.

That said there’s a reason tail number 1 stays parked at the manufacturer (or is given to NASA in the case of the 737). I wonder how often the g limits are hit in these programs despite the test pilots’ best efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Though they probably weren’t in any immediate danger - the overspeed warning is for maximum operating speed which is less than the maximum proven dive speed (ie what the test flight program does) and there should still be some slight safety margin above that.

That said there’s a reason tail number 1 stays parked at the manufacturer (or is given to NASA in the case of the 737). I wonder how often the g limits are hit in these programs despite the test pilots’ best efforts.

Yeah I was kinda curious of the usability of the airframe after that. They probably didn't hit do not exceed speed though?