Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know there's apps like Air Video HD and Plex that can stream your videos from your home server to your iOS device but is there something similar for PDFs/CBRs?

Basically I have an iPad Pro 12.9" which is perfect for scanned PDFs and I downloaded the entire retromags collection which is over 200 GBs. Obviously this is too big for my free Dropbox account and I'd rather not have to load them in and out at random and have them "all at my fingertips" so is there some way to have them sitting on my server (a Windows 10 PC) but have my iPad access them whenever I want (as long as I have an internet connection, obviously)?

Rigging up something via Calibre might be an attractive option. You can even view them via your browser these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

This would be the only reason I'd use a VPN. It would be a bit silly for me to spend ~$10 per month to read old video game magazines from the 80s (don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending a one-time fee on an app).

No, you don’t have to subscribe to a VPN service - and that wouldn’t work anyway. You would need to run a VPN server (like OpenVPN) on your own hardware on your network. You’d also want to set up dynamic DNS. This can all be done for free, but you’ll have to put in some elbow grease - it’s either that or pay for a turnkey solution, I think.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsech posted:

No, you don’t have to subscribe to a VPN service - and that wouldn’t work anyway. You would need to run a VPN server (like OpenVPN) on your own hardware on your network. You’d also want to set up dynamic DNS. This can all be done for free, but you’ll have to put in some elbow grease - it’s either that or pay for a turnkey solution, I think.

I don't mind if my IP address changes once every 6 months or whatever. I don't have a static IP but it seems like my IP stays the same for sometimes as long as a year, and I am kind of OK with that.

Warbird posted:

Rigging up something via Calibre might be an attractive option. You can even view them via your browser these days.

I remember using Calibre years ago to convert Kindle to epub and PDF to epub and vice-versa and stuff like that in Windows. Are you saying it will actually host some sort of listening port/server for PDFs that my ipad can read?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

I remember using Calibre years ago to convert Kindle to epub and PDF to epub and vice-versa and stuff like that in Windows. Are you saying it will actually host some sort of listening port/server for PDFs that my ipad can read?
Yes, the Calibre Content Server is baked into Calibre.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks so much for the Calibre suggestions. I am trying it out right now (it will take a bunch of hours to "process" since it's 230GB of PDFs).

The only downside so far is that when I installed it I needed to point to an empty Calibre folder. For whatever reason, it needs to copy every single PDF and CBZ into this Calibre folder, even though it's already on my PC. Which might not seem like a lot but now these vidya pdfs are taking up 500GBs of hard drive space instead of ~200. I'm not sure why it needs to dump everything into that folder (it's not converting it from what I can see) but if that's the worst that I have to deal with I can suck it up for sure.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m fairly sure you can just throw the PDFs in there without converting friend, but don’t hold me to that. Take a look at calibre-web, it can hook into Calibre’s database and is a far better user experience. Also works fine in docker if you’re willing to get stoopid.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks again for the suggestions to use Calibre's content server. It did exactly what I want.

The only downside is that there's no way that I see to organize anything by folder. Since Calibre is probably expecting actual books and not magazines, all 1,400 magazines are their own separate entries. So if I want to download Nintendo Power issue 114, I have to scroll through a good 600 magazine titles before I can get to it. It would have been really nice if I could have put all the "EGM" issues in an "EGM" folder and Calibre would have had it as its own separate entry. But I guess that's my Windows/Android mindset getting in the way.

I ended up buying an app called Marvin 3 that is a PDF reader with Calibre server compatibility because I found the browser method to be a bit janky. It was only $5 and well worth it, in my opinion.

Thanks again for all the help!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Look into the calibre-web thing I mentioned. I think it has search functionality and I know you can group things up like shelves.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Look into the calibre-web thing I mentioned. I think it has search functionality and I know you can group things up like shelves.

Thanks a ton but I did a little searching and it looks like it's for Linux users; my server is just a Windows 10 desktop that I leave on 24/7 :shobon:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The last couple of times I've tried to share itineraries made with Citymapper over iMessage, the shared message with the Citymapper itinerary completely fails to load for me or the person I send it to. Has anyone else had this problem? The message bubble just has a loading dial on it with the standard maps grid, but nothing else. I reached out to the devs for support but haven't heard back.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

the new google maps icon is ugly as sin. just give me my dark mode in gmail, dammit

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Jazz Marimba posted:

the new google maps icon is ugly as sin. just give me my dark mode in gmail, dammit

It looks like typical Google branding, so I don't know what you were expecting?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

XBenedict posted:

It looks like typical Google branding, so I don't know what you were expecting?

Yeah, and Google branding sucks. :colbert:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The gmaps icon is dumb but at least I'll never open apple maps by accident now

Violator
May 15, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

The gmaps icon is dumb but at least I'll never open apple maps by accident now

I miss the old Apple Maps logo that showed the route as driving off a bridge, really reflected the quality of the app at the time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Alright, I'm tired of Goodreader and its bullshit UI. Is there any replacement that'll let me:

sync with ~all the services~
view and sync SMB/AFS and FTP folders
download through an internal browser (or support share sheet functions out of safari)
view every document format ever with cropping and universal annotation support

I like that GR does like, everything ever. But... just look at it! Why!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

Alright, I'm tired of Goodreader and its bullshit UI. Is there any replacement that'll let me:

sync with ~all the services~
view and sync SMB/AFS and FTP folders
download through an internal browser (or support share sheet functions out of safari)
view every document format ever with cropping and universal annotation support

I like that GR does like, everything ever. But... just look at it! Why!

There literally isn’t. Readdle Documents is close but struggles with OneDrive for Business and PDFs with variable page size. I’ve been using GR for over a decade; I don’t really like it, but there’s nothing better.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any logging fitness/lifting apps that aren’t insanely bad on pricing models? I enjoyed fitness point free but hit the log limit. Just looking for something that lets me build different workouts, history on sets, maybe a rest timer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Strong is the best.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I rarely pay for apps anymore but around 2009-2013 I had a bit of an impulse buy problem with iOS games. I barely played most of them but the novelty of playing "real" games on my phone really got me I guess.

I was just thinking I should really redownload a few of those games since I don't have a single game on my XR atm and....Almost all of the good ones are either gone from the app store or are trying to charge me again?! Like, :wtf: how is this an acceptable business model? I paid for this poo poo and it's all gone!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Most likely they didn’t update whenever the App Store required games to switch over to 64-bit, or released a separate version of the app which supported 64-bit and charged for it separately.

Usually that would bug me but the games were generally so dirt cheap that I didn’t mind. And thankfully the best game on iOS did get updated for no extra charge - Ghost Trick.

Violator
May 15, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Strong is the best.

Yeah, I really like it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Most likely they didn’t update whenever the App Store required games to switch over to 64-bit, or released a separate version of the app which supported 64-bit and charged for it separately.

Usually that would bug me but the games were generally so dirt cheap that I didn’t mind. And thankfully the best game on iOS did get updated for no extra charge - Ghost Trick.

I dunno I am looking at some I paid like $15 for and now they have "HD" versions that cost $15 again with the version I bought delisted. Mostly cave co. shooters, so gently caress that company. Also apparently I bought Duke 3D and it no longer is on the store at all and I really want to play that.

Although thanks for reminding me I have Ghost Trick. Gonna DL that now

Anyways I'm never spending another dime on an iPhone game. extremely lovely platform for allowing stuff like that to happen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Truly shocked that the game you paid 99 cents for once a decade ago couldn’t continue development of a new version without charging again

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Truly shocked that the game you paid 99 cents for once a decade ago couldn’t continue development of a new version without charging again

The Cave games were like $14

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

TraderStav posted:

Strong is the best.

This is it. A really great app and the devs actually implement suggestions.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weedle posted:

The Cave games were like $14

This man is entitled to get what he wants for free!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FCKGW posted:

truly shocked that you don't seem to be able to read.

Amazing that I'm the rear end in a top hat for expecting to be able to download games I paid like $15 a piece for without paying for each of them all over again. If y'all just love throwing money in the toilet throw some my way please.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 8, 2020

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

veni veni veni posted:

Amazing that I'm the rear end in a top hat for expecting to be able to download games I paid like $15 a piece for without paying for each of them all over again. If y'all just love throwing money in the toilet throw some my way please.

Many someones have to sit at a computer for 40+ hours a week to make a game you bought on a 2013 phone work on a 2019/2020 phone. If you think that $15 covers the cost of maintaining that over a decade then people will continue to call you entitled. This isn't a book or a movie, they don't work perfectly forever once they're "done"(games and software are literally never done. Just acceptably complete for that moment.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno I am looking at some I paid like $15 for and now they have "HD" versions that cost $15 again with the version I bought delisted. Mostly cave co. shooters, so gently caress that company. Also apparently I bought Duke 3D and it no longer is on the store at all and I really want to play that.

Although thanks for reminding me I have Ghost Trick. Gonna DL that now

Anyways I'm never spending another dime on an iPhone game. extremely lovely platform for allowing stuff like that to happen.

Even if the original listing goes down, you should be able to find it in your Purchased list unless it really isn't compatible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is pretty lovely if old software can't even be downloaded anymore. Fine, don't update it, but if someone ebays a six year old phone they should be able to run whatever software they can find for it.

There is an archival argument too. With old coin op games or consoles or PC games there's a ton of people out there that enjoy making emulators to allow that software to still run (and steal, but that doesn't make the hobby illegitimate). With digital distribution though that poo poo disappears into the ether and is gone forever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Running a platform with all sorts of gray area as to how long software needs to be supported and letting companies just get rid of an old version and "update" it so people have to pay all over again means its a poo poo platform. Saying someone is "entitled" for expecting to have some sort of access to something they paid money for is the most corporate bootlicking pov I've ever heard.

astral posted:

Even if the original listing goes down, you should be able to find it in your Purchased list unless it really isn't compatible.

I found them in my purchases but there is no way to download them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Like, I get it, it sucks, but it's not like it's for no reason. An "HD remaster" from a game made a decade ago means that all the assets had to be remade for Retina and Plus sized screens and the app re-coded to take advantage of the new screen size. There's significant work that goes into it and I don't blame the dev for no longer supporting an ever shrinking number of devices.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Like, I get it, it sucks, but it's not like it's for no reason. An "HD remaster" from a game made a decade ago means that all the assets had to be remade for Retina and Plus sized screens and the app re-coded to take advantage of the new screen size. There's significant work that goes into it and I don't blame the dev for no longer supporting an ever shrinking number of devices.

There needs to be some clarity about exactly how long something will supported and what you are buying into then.

If a game comes out for PS3, I can reasonably expect I may have to pay for it again if it is ported to PS4. Because it's been made clear that it is a different platform. With iOS you have no idea if something will work for a month or 10 years. There needs to be some sort of expectation of quality control which Apple seems to have zero.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

There needs to be some sort of expectation of quality control which Apple seems to have zero.

They do, they warn developers their app will stop running on newer OS releases if they don't update their poo poo. All Apple cares about is the latest and greatest. If an app doesn't run on modern devices the argument is 100% with the developers of the app.

If what you're really wanting Apple to do is guarantee a lifetime of compatibility for spending $15 on a piece of software, well good luck with that. It's lovely that your software goes away but this is the reality of digital distribution and it's been a concern since the day Steam first launched. The ship has loving sailed on that one.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Google photos question. I have been uploading photos to google photos on my laptop as I want an easy way to share albums of my photography online with friends and family.

I also just installed the google photos app on my iPad as it would be nice to view/organise them there. However it mixes all my photo roll phone pictures pictured with my ‘actual’ photography- I don’t want all my phone pictures there.

Is there a setting to turn that off?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

... if someone ebays a six year old phone they should be able to run whatever software they can find for it.

To be exact, if you grab an iPad2 or something and login to the App Store with your same Apple ID then you will be able to download all the stuff you bought at the time.

The number of titles that are Proper Removed from the App Store is very few.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So it's not actually removed, it's just blocked since the app store can detect that my newer phone doesn't support it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Correct.

If you had your old phone with the old OS you could open the App Store and download and use your apps again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’d be kind of salty too if apps I paid $14 for 8 years ago and that are still selling for $14 a decade later didn’t support prior purchases enough to run on current phones. I get why it happens and that it’s as much the fault of the App store lacking a solid upgrade purchase option as anything else, but it would still annoy me.

I rebuy a particular $10 productivity app every 2 or 3 years because that’s the only way the developer can add features while keeping a revenue stream going. But if for whatever reason I decide to don’t need the new features, the prior versions still work.

Also if the Goon who made Dungeon Raid is still around - I’d gladly pay another $5 for a 64 bit version, k thnx in advance.

EDIT: poo poo now I want to play Dungeon Raid. If I find an old 5 or 5c with iOS 10 on it, I can still connect to the App Store right? I just tried charging my iPhone 3GS and it doesn't look iOS 6 connects to the App Store anymore.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 10, 2020