Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gah this makes me twitch every time.

It's only a Union JACK if it's flying on a loving ship.

It's a Union FLAG if it's flying on a building.

(Councils should fly them upside down to indicate distress, not that people who aren't nerds would notice)

E: 22 years ago, speaking of the Royals, Mohamed Al-Fayed was quoted as saying he was 99.9% certain that Diana's and Dodi's deaths were a conspiracy. Somewhat like the conspiracy in which Prince Andrew was ALLEGEDLY involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Saith posted:

I feel bad for the Irish

This is how we see them in Ireland. I use these all the time.
They are scummy ATMs btw . There are youtube videos showing how they prey on tourists by showing higher than normal default amounts to take out.
And they use waaaaay outdated exchange rates that will rip you off.
They are ok for local withdrawals though, they can't scam you that way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

Gah this makes me twitch every time.

It's a Union FLAG if it's flying on a building.

(Councils should fly them upside down to indicate distress, not that people who aren't nerds would notice)

E: 22 years ago, speaking of the Royals, Mohamed Al-Fayed was quoted as saying he was 99.9% certain that Diana's and Dodi's deaths were a conspiracy. Somewhat like the conspiracy in which Prince Andrew was ALLEGEDLY involved.

I used to live opposite an Orange Lodge in Glasgow & they magnificently had their Union fleg flying upside down for months.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

thespaceinvader posted:

Actually it's a Union Jack because that is what nearly everyone calls it and the exceptions are insufferable :eng101:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I used to live opposite an Orange Lodge in Glasgow & they magnificently had their Union fleg flying upside down for months.
:discourse:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Wikipedia says it's based on fairly obscure historical origins, being the sign of the goldsmith shop where a precursor of the bank was based for a few decades in the sixteen-hundreds.

Of course that doesn't explain a) why it is still the same, and b) why would a goldsmith have a horse shop sign in the first place.

Because for most of the history of humanity literacy has been at best sporadic so you gave your business a sign with a picture considerably larger than the name, and presumably Mr. Lloyd liked horses, or maybe owned a stable, or maybe there had been a blacksmiths there before. You'd think a bank would have customers that could read (although that still couldn't be guaranteed) but the signs were also useful for messengers and deliveries - "Take this to the office with the black horse on Gropecunt Lane" - in those pre-postal days.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

Actually it's a Union Jack because that is what nearly everyone calls it and the exceptions are insufferable :eng101:

Nah this isn't a Big Ben/clock tower thing, a "jack" is an actual thing with a specific meaning, and if our national flag is the Union Jack then it means the whole country is actually a naval vessel and wait a minute maybe we are all under Admiralty Law and the sovereign citizens are right...

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Lombard Street in the City of London still has the signs of the old Banking Houses hanging down it

(Most prominantly there is the grasshopper of the House of Gresham, which is all over the City of London)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah this isn't a Big Ben/clock tower thing, a "jack" is an actual thing with a specific meaning,

A horse is an actual thing with a specific meaning, but that does not restrict the term 'clothes horse' to horses.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah this isn't a Big Ben/clock tower thing, a "jack" is an actual thing with a specific meaning, and if our national flag is the Union Jack then it means the whole country is actually a naval vessel and wait a minute maybe we are all under Admiralty Law and the sovereign citizens are right...

Nah. Descriptivism won, language changes, prescriptivists will be first against the wall with there archaic roolz and $hit.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 6, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

Nah. Descriptivism won, language changes, prescriptivists will be first against the wall with there archaic roolz and $hit.

As long as joke-getters are second against the wall you'll be safe then.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe they were in distress, communicating in the only way they know how (besides interminable flute music)? :ohdear:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As long as joke-getters are second against the wall you'll be safe then.

A joke?
On a dead gay comedy forum?
At this time of year?
Contained entirely within the UKMT thread?

Can I see it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The clock tower is now the Elizabeth tower and I will not hear of this valour stealing the bell didn't protect nonces to earn ownership of the tower thank you very much.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Because for most of the history of humanity literacy has been at best sporadic so you gave your business a sign with a picture considerably larger than the name, and presumably Mr. Lloyd liked horses, or maybe owned a stable, or maybe there had been a blacksmiths there before. You'd think a bank would have customers that could read (although that still couldn't be guaranteed) but the signs were also useful for messengers and deliveries - "Take this to the office with the black horse on Gropecunt Lane" - in those pre-postal days.

*cut to boss storming into a brothel and finding the messenger balls deep in one of Gideon's favourites*

:v: "'Sorry boss, I thought you said 'black whores'"

:bahgawd: "Hennimooooore"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's dumbass pedantry. It's the union jack (butcher's apron is also appropriate).

quote:

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”."

http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Mohamed Al-Fayed

He's just Mohamed Fayed. Him and his brothers did that dumb game of adding al to their name to sound important in the 70s but only he still does it.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

*Only if flown on the jackstaff of a ship.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

sebzilla posted:

*cut to boss storming into a brothel and finding the messenger balls deep in one of Gideon's favourites*

:v: "'Sorry boss, I thought you said 'black whores'"

:bahgawd: "Hennimooooore"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalJFfFgt7Y

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

He's just Mohamed Fayed. Him and his brothers did that dumb game of adding al to their name to sound important in the 70s but only he still does it.
Sounds like prescriptivism to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Oh dear me posted:

A horse is an actual thing with a specific meaning, but that does not restrict the term 'clothes horse' to horses.

A horse is a chair, never forget

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

A horse is a chair, never forget

And they're all needed for dinner

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

happyhippy posted:

This is how we see them in Ireland. I use these all the time.
They are scummy ATMs btw . There are youtube videos showing how they prey on tourists by showing higher than normal default amounts to take out.
And they use waaaaay outdated exchange rates that will rip you off.
They are ok for local withdrawals though, they can't scam you that way.

NEVER use the rates on an ATM.

You would need an *exceptionally* lovely card for it to be in your interest to use the ATM rates.

Most banks will give you the card supplier (visa/mastercard) exchange rate, which is roughly what xe.com has at a given time, delayed by a few hours (though obviously what you get charged depends when the transaction actually processes, so you can get hosed int he following day or two sometimes) plus a charge of about £3 and maybe 2% of the transaction.
That's near universally better than taking the ATM rate.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If you travel regularly and have a good enough credit score to get another card, apply for a Halifax Clarity card: the benefits of the MasterCard exchange rate combined with zero foreign transaction fees.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you travel regularly and have a good enough credit score to get another card, apply for a Halifax Clarity card: the benefits of the MasterCard exchange rate combined with zero foreign transaction fees.

Nationwide Platinum does the same thing too except it's Visa. You don't even really need it for travel, if you just happen to buy stuff online from the US semi-frequently it's handy because the exchange rate is *way* better than Paypal.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nomination meeting at the CLP tonight. :toot:

First speaker for Starmer, on the grounds that... he is the best leader to win this particular (Holyrood) constituency. He’s also non-specifically “good”.

Second for anti-Starmer/Nandy. Also on an electability stance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cspam primary thread is going insane again, it's like a literal clownshow where the mainstream democrats keep hitting each other with a ladder.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My constituency went RLB easily at the first pass, and Rayner after like 4 rounds.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lots of people speaking for Nandy here. Very interesting. Not continuity and not a run to the centre seems to be the line.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tesseraction posted:

One less and it'd be a ballbreakers.

You summoned me?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mehall posted:

NEVER use the rates on an ATM.

You would need an *exceptionally* lovely card for it to be in your interest to use the ATM rates.

Most banks will give you the card supplier (visa/mastercard) exchange rate, which is roughly what xe.com has at a given time, delayed by a few hours (though obviously what you get charged depends when the transaction actually processes, so you can get hosed int he following day or two sometimes) plus a charge of about £3 and maybe 2% of the transaction.
That's near universally better than taking the ATM rate.

when using a garbage banana republic currency it's worse. every time I shop something on ebay that costs USD, EUR or GBP I have to convince paypal that no, I don't want to pay in my own currency for peace of mind and to avoid bank fees--most of the time the difference isn't huge, but when buying something like a computer, missing that tiny currency conversion option link can easily cost $10 or more. If I were that concerned about peter thiel's well-being I'd go to his loving blood bank

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nationwide Platinum does the same thing too except it's Visa. You don't even really need it for travel, if you just happen to buy stuff online from the US semi-frequently it's handy because the exchange rate is *way* better than Paypal.

Paypal's not, actually, a friend. And if it were, why'd it want to manage my monetary transactions? Suspect imo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

The cspam primary thread is going insane again, it's like a literal clownshow where the mainstream democrats keep hitting each other with a ladder.

I'm not very familiar with the minutiae of Democratic electoral procedures (I guess most people aren't) and can't work out whether it's conspiracy, stupidity or what.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm not very familiar with the minutiae of Democratic electoral procedures (I guess most people aren't) and can't work out whether it's conspiracy, stupidity or what.

It's all of them. Conspiracy, stupidity and :what:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm mostly familiar with the party as it existed in the late 19th century, but yeah I'm going to go with what Owl said.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If you want to send money internationally, most especially on a regular basis, look at TransferWise. It's a bit more convoluted than just using Paypal but it also offers much better rates.

I have no idea if they're lovely though, I mean capitalism so yeah, but they've been a huge benefit to me, saved me loads over the years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's producing some wonderful still frames though.

Brings me back to the heady days of corbyn's leadership bid.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 6, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I've said it in the Primary thread, but my thinking is that what probably happened is:

A) Regular nepotism caused a very very lovely app to be made, which on the night ensured chaos and confusion.
B) During said chaos and confusion, someone or someones in the Dem establishment realized an opportunity.
C) Specifics aren't fully known, but Buttigieg definitely did well - thus if we release things in the right order we'll be able to boost that and get him headlines of victory.
D) They're all really dumb and bad at this meaning it's unbelievably obvious they're corrupt, and if they're not corrupt, they're so monumentally incompetent that it's actually worse than if they were corrupt.
E) They're definitely corrupt and trying to ratfuck Bernie tho.

Buttigieg's gambit of putting absolutely everything into Iowa with the hopes of a win and momentum was a smart one, indeed his only remotely viable one, but he may well have hosed himself with his antics. And unless he can stop being underwater with minorities it doesn't matter that he did well in a Highly White state, there's no path to the nomination except getting them aboard.

He's also The Smiler from Transmet.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was only recently that I learned his name is supposed to be pronounce boot-eh-szjej

I'd been calling him butt-geeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

It was only recently that I learned his name is supposed to be pronounce boot-eh-szjej

I'd been calling him butt-geeg.

The Booty Judge