Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

TKIY posted:

Not even close to balanced, but they never really attempted to balance it.

It's just designed to help you build up an army by buying and painting one unit at a time.

Thanks, that was my understanding. Girlfriend is sort of getting into the hobby, she asked if she could paint the "storm guys" so I got her the Stormcast Paint set. If she gets into it and want more models we might start playing Path to Glory. I already have the Shadespire dudes too for her to paint.

Am I correct in assuming that the rules might heavily favor my army, the Ironjawz? Since there are so little different unit types I feel like I could get the synergies going more easily than a player with an army (like the Stormcast) with a much larger unit pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
If you know points it's probably better to fake path to glory using points if you have access to them. Figure what point level the new player's army ends up point wise and balance your accordingly.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Having done both, a slow-grow escalation league that just uses points and meeting engagement battle plans is going to be a lot more satisfying than Path to Glory.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am excited to see how our experiment with it plays out.

If eveyrone goes into it with fluffy ideas and lack of WAAC mindset its great fun. It's easy to abuse so I wouldn't play it with strangers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to do a slow grow because I've left my sweet eels gathering dust, paintless for ages now. It's starting at 500pts so I'm hoping that 6 eels and an Akhelian King isn't crazy since I understand eels are good.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Ghazk posted:

Ah that makes sense, thanks

I’m going to disagree on this one. There’s been quite a debate about this on twitter and Discord, and I even asked in the thread that Jes Bickham posted the FAQ in, but no response.

The FAQ, emphasis mine:

quote:

‘Each Destiny Dice spent only allows you to replace a single dice roll. If you want to replace a 2D6 roll (such as a casting roll or charge roll), you must spend 2 Destiny Dice. In addition, any rolls that have been replaced (with the exception of save rolls and battleshock tests) count as unmodified rolls and cannot be re-rolled or modified further.
If you spend a Destiny Dice to replace a save roll, the result of that Destiny Dice is modified by the Rend characteristic of the attack as normal.
If you spend a Destiny Dice to replace a battleshock test, the result of that Destiny Dice is modified by the number of models slain from that unit as normal

It’s really bad wording, and I think they’ve buggered it up, but unlike all the others, when you replace a save or battleshock dice with a destiny dice, not only can it be modified by models lost, but is also counts as a modified roll. So the dice roll itself is not a natural, 1. So the banner doesn’t trigger.

There’s some debate over this one, and I’m not going to claim my answer is the definitive one. And they’ve also ballsed it up in that if you have an ability for it, you can re-roll battleshock and save destiny dice. Which seems daft.

I’m going to personally assume the FAQ isn’t in my favour until otherwise.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The GW Facebook people quickly deleted a ruling and said they kicked it upatairs, so I guess they know about it now.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Milotic posted:

I’m going to disagree on this one. There’s been quite a debate about this on twitter and Discord, and I even asked in the thread that Jes Bickham posted the FAQ in, but no response.

The FAQ, emphasis mine:

It’s really bad wording, and I think they’ve buggered it up, but unlike all the others, when you replace a save or battleshock dice with a destiny dice, not only can it be modified by models lost, but is also counts as a modified roll. So the dice roll itself is not a natural, 1. So the banner doesn’t trigger.

There’s some debate over this one, and I’m not going to claim my answer is the definitive one. And they’ve also ballsed it up in that if you have an ability for it, you can re-roll battleshock and save destiny dice. Which seems daft.

As usual, the wording of the faq seems to have been created by someone without any clue of the content of the rest of the battletome. I'm in the camp of "except battleshock and save rolls" is referring to the part that says they cannot be further modified, but it's true that RAW suggests that in those circumstances they count as modified dice before any other modifier is applied.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

They're trying to be concise when they really shouldn't be.

the unmodified and unrerollable language in the original version was probably put in to deal with certain edge cases (ie: what happens if you DD a casting roll inside a khorne "reroll succesful casting rolls" bubble?) and just hosed up parts where it interacts with the core rules.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Milotic posted:

The FAQ, emphasis mine:

That was my initial interpretation as well.

Following the grand alliance forums and GW posts, it seems to be going back and forth on an hourly basis. How extremely on brand for Tzeentch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A broad question, but asking for a friend: what would a 1000 points of Stormcast look like good for a beginner?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

A broad question, but asking for a friend: what would a 1000 points of Stormcast look like good for a beginner?
It all depends on what he has. SCEs have a lot of units that could work depending on their combination. Also, they have some nice Start Collecting boxes that have around those points and work fine together.

For all the hate that some players have against them, the SCEs are in a weird position in the tournament meta since their battletome was one of the first in the AoS 2.0 era and right now it lacks some mechanics that make them lag way behind other powerhouses. All except one list that relies almost entirely on sniping with Longstrikes, but still, people have workarounds against them.

To get used to the rules and in a 1k list, I would suggest getting a Knight-Incantor, the cheapest wizard, or if he wants to use Sequitors as battleline, he would need to make a Lord-Arcanum his general and that's also a wizard unit. But, of course, Sequitors got expensive in the last big FAQ thanks to some complaining and well, they are not worth it anymore in comparison with Liberators. Also, a shooting unit like a Celestar Ballista could be nice for learning that, so he would have something to do in every phase.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Probably not the most suitable thread for this but we got our first Old World article. About maps!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/06/cartography-in-the-old-worldgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/
Also some new faction icons as well that I can't name.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Probably not the most suitable thread for this but we got our first Old World article. About maps!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/06/cartography-in-the-old-worldgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/
Also some new faction icons as well that I can't name.
It says there that there's going to be new models, so I guess the system will be completely new... and expensive as it's going to be Forgeworld.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
I will be tempted to buy if they release Vampirates

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hell yeah, imperial civil war

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So are they planning to have three flagship systems here or what? Old World seems like it would need the same support as 40k and AOS.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

So are they planning to have three flagship systems here or what? Old World seems like it would need the same support as 40k and AOS.

Nah surely it would be sub-Horus Heresy level support

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nah surely it would be sub-Horus Heresy level support

Jesus, this is a cruel jest

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
As far as we know, this is going to be a FW game, so, yeah, it's not going to be a core game. I also expect any new models will be resin characters or unit upgrades, and not wholesale entire units for the most part. Part of the draw is to get people who have armies sitting in the closet back into the system, so they're going to want to incorporate the old kits. I would really like to see a return to 7th ed, with all of the 6th ed army books, since every faction was represented at that time, and the rule set was solid.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

All im really hoping for is they make it easy to use round bases in (like GoT style unit trays)

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
From the name drops seem to suggest (Time of 3/4 Emperors), it will be unfortunately an Empire focussed game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Terratina posted:

From the name drops seem to suggest (Time of 3/4 Emperors), it will be unfortunately an Empire focussed game.

This is one of the things I am most excited about honestly. Clear theme and storyline, and sensible limits on the factions that will be present.

As a Chaos Dwarf player from ancient days, and a fan of Lizardmen and Tomb Kings I have a huge soft spot for a lot of the more out there armies. But I would rather then make a good edition with 4-6 well balanced armies than just shoveling out everything to appease the whining masses.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Terratina posted:

I wonder if the idea is to structure it much like Horus Heresy then, with the majority of the factions using the same base units plus a few signature unique variants/named heroes.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is one of the things I am most excited about honestly. Clear theme and storyline, and sensible limits on the factions that will be present.

As a Chaos Dwarf player from ancient days, and a fan of Lizardmen and Tomb Kings I have a huge soft spot for a lot of the more out there armies. But I would rather then make a good edition with 4-6 well balanced armies than just shoveling out everything to appease the whining masses.

They'll start well balanced....then add everyone and their mother to it completely ruining any sense of balance. This is GW after all

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Desiden posted:

I wonder if the idea is to structure it much like Horus Heresy then, with the majority of the factions using the same base units plus a few signature unique variants/named heroes.

Wouldn't be the first time GW went after gamers that preferred more historical style play.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Michael Scott screaming WHERE ARE THE TOMB KINGS!!!!!!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm finally getting around to checking out the fluff, and rule books, of Warcry and there are a lot of cool looking models. Curious if my googlefu is really that lovely or not....but the Scions of the Flame. Do they not exist yet? I can't find cards or models for those guys and they sound kinda bad rear end

edit: Also, what site are all the cool kids getting discounts to order GW stuff from? I'd like to grab the starter but the only site I use to use, Miniature market, doesn't have the Starter set at all. Also, it appears that GW is only showing the "new starter" with 12 Chaos Beast with the 2 factions for $170

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
They honestly just need to work closely with Creative Assembly and support factions that are popular in TW:WH2 and Collab new factions/units/models for TWWH3.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm finally getting around to checking out the fluff, and rule books, of Warcry and there are a lot of cool looking models. Curious if my googlefu is really that lovely or not....but the Scions of the Flame. Do they not exist yet? I can't find cards or models for those guys and they sound kinda bad rear end

Iirc theyre the only faction were waiting on. Im not sure why its being dragged out but theyve been pretty good supporting the game so its not going anywhere

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Got the vast majority of the empire half of the 6e starter set for $45 kangaroo money.

14 of the spearmen, 15 of the handgunners, the cannon and the general

And none of it even primed so no need to strip it :toot:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/09/pre-order-preview-heroes-warbands-gangs-and-more/

So they're finally releasing a bunch of the boxed set heroes separately now. Which is nice.
And the Mindstealer Sphiranx is finally coming out too.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
The characters are seriously late, china-cast already supplied the market since they were OOP for so long. Maybe hiding character models in 160 boxes with limited runs should not be a thing? Or more realistically release the character model within 3 months of the box set, you will still get the meta chasers and the impulse buyers, but not strain the rest of the market so bad. I would say keep the big box in production until you release the characters, but I don't think that's an option either as alot of the limited box runs are to clear inventory on older sprues.

Ah well, the Sphinx is baller and I will buy one :P

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I converted myself a chaos lord from the sequitors that came with the first issue of mortal realms.

I used the spare helmeted head from the knights in the slaves to darkness starter set with a topknot added to make it look more fancy, and some bits and bobs from the chaos space marines range. The flail is made from bits from the vehicle sprue.

The rules for the flail seem kind of of weak compared to the other weapon option though, or is there something I'm missing?

Also working on changing an empire wizard into a gaunt summoner stand in. I used one of the ghosts' head and the hand with the dagger from the banshees in another mortal realms. The blades on the disk are from some chaos marine raptors.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/09/pre-order-preview-heroes-warbands-gangs-and-more/

So they're finally releasing a bunch of the boxed set heroes separately now. Which is nice.
And the Mindstealer Sphiranx is finally coming out too.

Aw. The Loonboss on Giant Squig is going to really take away my excuse not to start Gloomspite.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The destiny dice faq might be more straightforward than people are making it out to be once you re-read it.

Essentially the addendums for battleshock and armor saves don't negate the part where DD count as an unmodified roll, they carve out the exceptions to the "unmodifiable" part where casualties and rend apply as normal.

So 1s on destiny dice still trigger the horror banner as normal.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 10, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kroq'Na-nakatl The Primal Hope, Ageless Slayer of the Jungles Beyond Memory.

One of the Gwaka'moli Crater Gators Sauruses that I picked up as an early birthday present to myself and finished in probably around 5 hours over the span of the weekend.
Once you snip off the mouthguard they suddenly become a lot cooler and a lot less goofy looking. It made me want the other two as well. Will have to pick those up at some point.

Although next time I’m leaving the arms off because there was a bunch of hard to reach places that I could've avoided with some subassembly.

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/10/the-lumineth-lowdown-part-2-spear-phalanxes-and-runic-symbolismgw-homepage-post-2/
Another Greek Elves lowdown.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 10, 2020

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Those elves make me feel funny in my special areas.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
As much as I've always hated High Elves these....look good? I just don't like the head bloom things on the helmets.

Dammit. I'm gonna buy one of those stupid getting started boxes when these guys drop. I can feel it

Speaking of those.boxes, general consensus seems to be those are actually good right? As in, the units you get are solid?

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tiny Chalupa posted:

As much as I've always hated High Elves these....look good? I just don't like the head bloom things on the helmets.

Dammit. I'm gonna buy one of those stupid getting started boxes when these guys drop. I can feel it

Speaking of those.boxes, general consensus seems to be those are actually good right? As in, you get a good nearly 1k army out the box in most of them?

They're not guaranteed to get a start collecting box, most new armies don't. There are pseudo exceptions, like when the new slaves to darkness stuff came out they made a start collecting box of them.

It's more likely they will get a 2 player box with another army. In either case though the boxes are a good deal, usually around 700 pts with a significant cash savings.