Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
RftG: For what it's worth I'm completely burnt out on Race - albeit after a lot of plays - and have no desire to play it again even with new expansions. Roll still feels fun to me after a comparable number of plays and I haven't even tried the expansion yet. Roll feels like it makes me think on my feet more, whereas Race has started to feel a little rote.

Megasabin posted:

Edit: Also should note it really needs certain expansions to hit its potential. Base game without prologues and such, is a pretty different (slower) game. So if you are gonna get it budget to pick up 1-2 expansions as well.

Prelude definitely adds a lot. I was much less convinced by Venus Next, though; it tended to feel like a disconnected minigame that most players didn't have any reason to engage with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Bottom Liner posted:

Here's the arkham collection. If anyone can link me the buy/sell thread I'll post there too. Thanks

totals over $500 retail, I'll ship it US for $250.

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate you putting this up, it's a great price for a game and storage system you put a lot of effort into, and I can't afford to drop that kinda money on a game I've only played twice (even though I really liked it). I hope you get to move it and buy new games!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Megasabin posted:

If you haven't played it yourself at least give Terraforming Mars a try. This thread is really hard on it, but outside of our little ecosystem it's considered one of the all time great board games.

My dirty boardgaming secret: I bought it on Steam when it was on sale for like $5 because I didn't want to rely entirely on this thread's opinion about it. The AI is terrible (I won my second game against all Hard bots) and the UI sucks (slow animations and no undo!), but I still play it every now and then if I want a chill hour or less of messing around with engine building.

Note that I said "hour or less": my understanding is that would be impossible with the actual boardgame.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CaptainRightful posted:

My dirty boardgaming secret: I bought it on Steam when it was on sale for like $5 because I didn't want to rely entirely on this thread's opinion about it. The AI is terrible (I won my second game against all Hard bots) and the UI sucks (slow animations and no undo!), but I still play it every now and then if I want a chill hour or less of messing around with engine building.

Note that I said "hour or less": my understanding is that would be impossible with the actual boardgame.

I would be tempted to buy a digital copy myself but if you're saying they hosed up the implementation of it I'll hold off.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CaptainRightful posted:

You can finish in an hour and a half to two hours if everyone actually plays well and doesn't durdle, but playing physically will always add time.

E: oof this is on phones for 6.99 I wish I was working right now so I could justify that cost.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

You can finish in an hour and a half to two hours if everyone actually plays well and doesn't durdle, but playing physically will always add time.

E: oof this is on phones for 6.99 I wish I was working right now so I could justify that cost.

Yeah, I played Preludes+base on Tuesday and it was ninety minutes. Preludes was nice, good way to get things going faster, those first few rounds are usually pretty iffy. I do think it made it a little less tableau-building, as a result, though, and more Race To Terraform Mars - the engines never really had a chance to formulate.

TheRealMcFoy
Aug 5, 2017
I got Terraforming Mars as a christmas present and enjoyed it, but did look at some of the expansions. Which ones are necessary, which ones are nice, and which ones should I skip?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

TheRealMcFoy posted:

I got Terraforming Mars as a christmas present and enjoyed it, but did look at some of the expansions. Which ones are necessary, which ones are nice, and which ones should I skip?

I think Preludes is the only one that is really necessary. As mentioned, it helps jumpstart the game a little and gives players some early direction. The Hellas and Elysium one is nice for some board variety. I haven't felt the need to get the others.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The new Race expansion rekindled my love. It makes sense Lehman is also an 18xx designer because the guy knows how to spinoff an entirely new game from a core set of rules.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What’s the goonsensus on Watergate? Does it have the Twilight Struggle problem of “learn every card before you can actually play for real”?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got to play Root: Underworld yesterday evening. A four player game with the Moles, Crows, Lizards, and Vagabond (Thief). I won as crows with a double-plot flip after using an Ally of the Foxes card to clear off three! fox clearings plus a Royale-something (Mandate?) bird card that gave points for ruling clearings. Cleared eleven points in one round, and felt a little dirty.

Impressions on the new factions:

Moles - Build up like mad, but are fragile. Somewhere in-between the cats and the birds in terms of difficulty. They get a lot of fun toys in the different nobles, but they lose them just as fast. Probably less effective in a game with other stompier factions like the Cats or Birds. Up there with the lizards in suffering from losing cards-from-hand.

Crows - Hilarious. They play shell games and force everyone to participate in their stupid little plots. Guess wrong, and the consequences can range from giving up a card to everything in a clearing blowing up. They field a surprisingly large amount of warriors and a bizarre recruiting method (spend a card and put a warrior in every matching clearing, birds wild) means they can show in force pretty much anywhere. An easy faction to play that causes large amount of pain for everyone with little effort. Probably in the same category as the vagabond, in that other players need to beat them up even if it doesn't further their goals.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So in Root, is it normal for the Vagabond to sprint to the finish line by giving away a hand full of cards to someone for 2 points each and then mass murdering someone (possibly even the same someone) for even more points? Because that seems awesome but really hard to stop.

Edit: I also played a game as Lizards that permafucked the Eyrie because they could never perform a move action, which was fun and hilarious.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 6, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GrandpaPants posted:

So in Root, is it normal for the Vagabond to sprint to the finish line by giving away a hand full of cards to someone for 2 points each and then mass murdering someone (possibly even the same someone) for even more points? Because that seems awesome but really hard to stop.

The only way to 'start' it is by giving him items. Don't do that. If someone else does, and the vagabond wins, they hosed up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

The new Race expansion rekindled my love. It makes sense Lehman is also an 18xx designer because the guy knows how to spinoff an entirely new game from a core set of rules.

When will that get to digital...?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TheRealMcFoy posted:

Whatever the one is with the Corps, and whatever the one is with the starting bonuses (Preludes might be both I think?) Venus is also good, I think the others we've tried have gotten a little too complex and given a little too much engine durdling options.

Definitely do the drafting variant though.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Re: Race/Roll, I tried Race a few times with my group and enjoyed it, but the confusing iconography and general game flow really put off one of the other players. I got Roll for Christmas and have now played it 10+ times with the same group, including the player who couldn't stand Race - Roll is now one of her favourites.

Race is probably a more cohesive and "pure" design, but the tactility (all those dice!) and streamlined gameplay (produce THEN ship!) have made Roll far and away my favourite.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Selecta84 posted:

Can you explain a bit more what the expansion adds? Played the base game and enjoyed it but not enought to buy it.

The two main things that the expansion brings is scaling for up to five players, and the scrolls. It also adds demons as a new type of monsters, some new artifacts, monuments, mages and places of power.

The way the scaling works is to adjust the amount of places of power and monuments based on the number of players, which makes for a much tighter two player game, and a four player game that actually feels fair and interesting. No more having to pick sucky magic items because the three good ones are gone. I haven't played it with five players, and probably won't unless they're all experienced players.

A scroll can be picked up if you choose the Inscription magic item. They have various effects that somewhat overlap with magic items, but also introduce some cool new options, like being able to turn 3X of a type of essence into X gold, at any multiple, being able to draw a card from your discard pile.

The other magic item introduced is the Illusion, that allows your monsters to pass as other types, which helps with managing the randomness of the game.

I just can't imagine playing the game without the expansion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

al-azad posted:

Xeno Invasion or is there something new? That one was pretty good. I would love to see a Race-style game built entirely around the Orb from Alien Artifacts, I found it a neat idea that struggled to fit in with the rest of the tableau.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Megasabin posted:

If you haven't played it yourself at least give Terraforming Mars a try. This thread is really hard on it, but outside of our little ecosystem it's considered one of the all time great board games. It's been sitting in the top 5 on BGG for years. After ignoring it for years, I finally gave it 5 plays last year, and while I don't think it's the end all and be all, I do think it's quite good and much better than this thread gives it credit for. It's leaps and bounds better than stuff like Wingspan, Everdell, and Eminent Domain.

Do know it's a bit more weighty than those other games, so it also depends what you are looking for in a game.

Edit: Also should note it really needs certain expansions to hit its potential. Base game without prologues and such, is a pretty different (slower) game. So if you are gonna get it budget to pick up 1-2 expansions as well.

I've played TFM a couple times and while I don't hate it, it's way longer and has a lot more setup/teardown than I'm looking for.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Xeno Invasion or is there something new? That one was pretty good. I would love to see a Race-style game built entirely around the Orb from Alien Artifacts, I found it a neat idea that struggled to fit in with the rest of the tableau.

Yes, Xeno Invasion.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

admanb posted:

I've played TFM a couple times and while I don't hate it, it's way longer and has a lot more setup/teardown than I'm looking for.

Terraforming Mars is bad. There are no real decisions to be had.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tfm is merely milquetoast

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

My first play of Marvel Champions was bumpier than I expected- my friend and I ended up having a ton of rules questions, some of which led to Googling. There's a lot of specific wording and such, but I think it's all in the "you get used to it" category rather than a permanent problem.

On Race vs Roll: I like Race much more as a game, but I never manage to get it out with the same group consistently, so I rarely get to play with the expansions. However, Roll's first expansion can be used right out of the box (minus objectives, which I never play with), gets people immediately rolling dice during the rules explanation (engages people), and is faster for people to grasp, so I end up playing it a lot more. I've played my copy of Roll way more than most games in my collection, and I still enjoy it every time.

I never got Rivalry, the second expansion for Roll. I don't remember the thread talking much about it- does it add complexity or depth in a way that makes it more comparable to Race + expansions?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fat Samurai posted:

What’s the goonsensus on Watergate? Does it have the Twilight Struggle problem of “learn every card before you can actually play for real”?

here's my initial impressions

Bottom Liner posted:

I tried Watergate tonight and it's a really neat little design. Feels like 7 Wonders Duel meets Twilight Struggle, if that makes sense. The abstract puzzle nature and asymmetry of the decks and win conditions all fit together really well. Every card play has really tough choices since events usually remove the card from the game for a one time effect, but the "ops" value lets you get a crucial movement on various tokens and get the card back later from the discard deck.

The historicity is well done, especially if you're a politics or journalism junkie, and won't make you feel gross like a lot of historical "wargame"s might since it's not about a recent armed conflict. Even if you don't care about the theme, it's a clever little tug of war abstract with strong asymmetry and what feels like deep strategy driven by tough tactical choices.

Early impressions are very good and it might be up there with Patchwork for a small box 2p only game. If anyone else has played, how has it held up? All three of our games went wildly differently which made it feel like the system has real depth.

To answer your question, no not at all. The possible card effects are strong but limited in nature of how simple the system is. The decks are also very small and easy to look through and understand before your first play.

I played 3 more times now with my friend that has the game and he has about 10 plays, and these 3 games all had a sense of playing chicken with the cards with us only playing for ops value until someone played a big event then it was a lot of events flying off quickly. I think this style leans the balance towards Nixon and suspect the Editor player will have to push the game pace aggressively. Balance is exactly 50/50 over our 6 games, with each of us having 2:1 with the different factions, which is a small sample size but notable regardless.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ogdred Weary posted:

The two main things that the expansion brings is scaling for up to five players, and the scrolls. It also adds demons as a new type of monsters, some new artifacts, monuments, mages and places of power.

The way the scaling works is to adjust the amount of places of power and monuments based on the number of players, which makes for a much tighter two player game, and a four player game that actually feels fair and interesting. No more having to pick sucky magic items because the three good ones are gone. I haven't played it with five players, and probably won't unless they're all experienced players.

A scroll can be picked up if you choose the Inscription magic item. They have various effects that somewhat overlap with magic items, but also introduce some cool new options, like being able to turn 3X of a type of essence into X gold, at any multiple, being able to draw a card from your discard pile.

The other magic item introduced is the Illusion, that allows your monsters to pass as other types, which helps with managing the randomness of the game.

I just can't imagine playing the game without the expansion.

Thanks. Sounds like I will wait until the expansion gets a German version. Right now we only have the base game.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

NRVNQSR posted:

Prelude definitely adds a lot. I was much less convinced by Venus Next, though; it tended to feel like a disconnected minigame that most players didn't have any reason to engage with.

Venus is miserable. I bought it as my first expansion and it killed the game for me, I suffered through because friends liked it. Eventually tried colonies, bought and enjoyed it, and then separated out Venus and threw it into my pile of junk in the garage.

Game's fun again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

tokenbrownguy posted:

Got to play Root: Underworld yesterday evening. A four player game with the Moles, Crows, Lizards, and Vagabond (Thief). I won as crows with a double-plot flip after using an Ally of the Foxes card to clear off three! fox clearings plus a Royale-something (Mandate?) bird card that gave points for ruling clearings. Cleared eleven points in one round, and felt a little dirty.

Impressions on the new factions:

Moles - Build up like mad, but are fragile. Somewhere in-between the cats and the birds in terms of difficulty. They get a lot of fun toys in the different nobles, but they lose them just as fast. Probably less effective in a game with other stompier factions like the Cats or Birds. Up there with the lizards in suffering from losing cards-from-hand.

Crows - Hilarious. They play shell games and force everyone to participate in their stupid little plots. Guess wrong, and the consequences can range from giving up a card to everything in a clearing blowing up. They field a surprisingly large amount of warriors and a bizarre recruiting method (spend a card and put a warrior in every matching clearing, birds wild) means they can show in force pretty much anywhere. An easy faction to play that causes large amount of pain for everyone with little effort. Probably in the same category as the vagabond, in that other players need to beat them up even if it doesn't further their goals.

the crows feel very oppressive on first play through but take note that you can just murder their plots for points and every faction gets a 'free' action against them. For some factions (otters, for example) that action is particularly free.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Truth. That's why the Crows have the Raid plot tokens. :getin:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TFM is good but only when you draft. It makes the game go way quicker when someone has the ability to end the game instead of having people fiddle about trying to get the perfect engine going

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I went to Atlanta Game Fest over the weekend (if you're in the Southeast you should give it a try -- they do about three a year).

Played lots of new and new-ish (to me) games!

Villagers - This is my game of 2019. Market row drafting done right -- you never feel shut out due to turn order, and you always have options if the face-up cards aren't to your liking. Gameplay is simple: draft, build, and score. But the game is well-balanced and rewards good planning and strategy --- and even a little player interaction in the form of blocking build chains (or straight-up "hate drafting"). It's great. I love this game.

The Shipwreck Arcana - A neat little cooperative deduction game. Play a tile on a logical rule to give the other players a hint about the tile you're still holding. It scratches the same itch as Hanabi, just in a different way. It may be a little too math-y for some groups, but I've enjoyed all of my plays.

Azul: Summer Pavilion - I think this is my favorite Azul game so far. There's more freedom to build your board than in the original, and it flows better than the stained glass one. The formula isn't all that different from the other games, but they've refined it down to the best iteration so far.

Alien Artifacts - Would you believe I passed up Isle of Cats (which I love) to play this? Bad move. It's a pretty standard "collect resource cards, spend them to buy/build increasingly expensive other cards" game. There's an engine building element, but it's too simple and never feels satisfying. The game ran two hours, and even in victory (I have NO idea how I won), I didn't have much fun with it.

Dreamwell - Aww, so cute. Rescue your friends from these surreal dreamscapes before the other players do the same. Simple play, and probably not a ton of replay value, but it was a great short-form game. I'd put it on the same level as something like Patchwork or Jaipur.

Paranormal Detectives - It's like Mysterium! But faster! And sillier! The general play is the same: someone got killed, is a ghost, and wants to communicate to the other players about the crime. The twist is that the detectives are actually asking questions, and then using cards to dictate how the ghost communicates; it could be choosing some tarot cards, pantomiming something, or even drawing on a player's back. Out of the box it's a competitive game, but we did the co-op variant and found it to be more fun.

Escape from the Dark Castle - A cooperative choose-your-own-adventure style game, with a simple combat and skill check system thrown in. The artwork evokes the old Lone Wolf books (godDAMN I loved those as a kid), and the brutal difficulty fits the theme of 80's "cheese grinder" dungeon crawls perfectly. When we asked the owner what the game was, he said "oh, it's super dumb". And he was right -- but it was also a heck of a lot of fun!

Ganges - It's... a worker placement game. With dice. Yawn, right? But somehow... it works. The systems are fun, there's room for different strategies, and collecting and rolling the dice is oddly satisfying. Randomness is mitigated by a couple of different methods of manipulating the dice, and there are uses for both high and low rolls -- kind of reminds me of Alien Frontiers in that regard. My only real criticism is the board art. Everything is drawn very dark and bold, presumably to evoke an Indian flavor, but it makes it hard to discern the playable spaces. I would have gladly taken 25% less theme in exchange for 50% more visual playability.

We also played Caruba, Zoff in Buffalo, Drop It, Concept, Just One, and Deep Sea Whatever-the-hell, but none of those were new to me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Control Volume posted:

TFM is good but only when you draft. It makes the game go way quicker when someone has the ability to end the game instead of having people fiddle about trying to get the perfect engine going

So instead people have more opportunity to fiddle about and try to get their perfect engine going.

I cried off my gaming group last night because there were only going to be enough people for one table and the others wanted to play TFM.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its entirely possible that your group can deliberately play like poo poo regardless, yes

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Terraforming Mars is fine but flawed, this thread is prone to hyperbole when it comes to certain games. I personally can't believe it's top 3 of all time, IMO it's far outclassed by its peers in the BGG top 10.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Top 3 is definitely more than it deserves, but I do think it fits in with the other good but flawed top 100 games like Dominion, 7 Wonders, Descent, and Descent with space wizards

e: Puerto Rico too, since its another game thats severely awful if people play badly
e2: I also think TFM is significantly better than every other game I listed here

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 7, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dominion............................. flawed????????????????????????????????

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lord Of Texas posted:

Terraforming Mars is fine but flawed, this thread is prone to hyperbole when it comes to certain games.

quote:

I personally can't believe it's top 3 of all time, IMO it's far outclassed by its peers in the BGG top 10.

That's basically the opinion of the thread. You are part of the hivemind you seemingly have a grudge against, congrats.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

TfM sure isn't my favorite but I don't mind a round of it, so long as we use turn timers. Else newer players agonize over picking one of three bad cards and it takes forever.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Impermanent posted:

I havent played the newer editions and Im forever scarred by chapels and minions

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Impermanent posted:

Hey c'mon now, aside from Chapel and the Alchemy expansion, second ed Dominion is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im basically the guy with 400 hours not recommending a game, when it comes to Dominion