Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Volte posted:

What game will dare to be the first with an entire skill forest

Does the improved version of Final Fantasy X count? If not then Path of Exile is defenetly uses a skill forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Like ffx’s sphere grid but much better

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Metamorphosis is in the public domain, so honestly you can do whatever you want with the title.

It's also a word in its own right.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

Metamorphosis is in the public domain, so honestly you can do whatever you want with the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iA0m-hhFSk

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

someone hasn't seen the passives tree from path of exile

That's just one and it's not even a tree!

Zaphod42 posted:

No meat touching m'am!

Honestly this looks pretty lovely, it has NOTHING to do with Kafka beyond the name. They posted a facebook sponsored post that came up in my feed, and the entire comments were just people going "uhhh Gregor was a giant cockroach?" and the author in the comments going "hey uh this has nothing to do with Kafka its just a cool game"

Like okay maybe dont' steal the name of his book then?? You're obviously using that association.
If anything, taking the name of the protagonist is the only lame part. Biologically transforming into a different thing is basically the definition of metamorphosis.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kafka just ripped off Ovid

Weedle
May 31, 2006

can you believe they loving ripped off bram stoker for their totally unrelated vampire game. this is bullshit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, it is a word. And so using it for any other kind of transformation would be fine.

But specifically calling your work "Metamorphosis" and having it be about someone who wakes up in their room as a cockroach, that's too similar.

Weedle posted:

can you believe they loving ripped off bram stoker for their totally unrelated vampire game. this is bullshit

>_>

Castlevania at least introduced a ton of original stuff. You don't play as Harker.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

remember that game about journey to the west where the monkey king was some muscled badass dude with a cyber stick that killed robots i think i never played it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

a glitch posted:

Does the improved version of Final Fantasy X count? If not then Path of Exile is defenetly uses a skill forest.

The Journey devs released a journey-like game where your skills are obelisks in a literally forest so 2019 I guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

It's a sailboat

On the north and south end of the trees, I see two crowns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mathematically, any game where your skills are divided into multiple independent hierarchies has a skill forest

Cowcaster posted:

remember that game about journey to the west where the monkey king was some muscled badass dude with a cyber stick that killed robots i think i never played it

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. It looked amazing and was ok until the ending which was smoking a little too much Matrix. And that muscled badass dude was Andy Serkis so respect

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

raditts posted:

I've been seeing facebook ads recently about this game that appears to be Kafkaesque as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcFSowweno&hd=1

This reminds me of the 90s 2D adventure game Bad Mojo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Dragon Ball?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is path of exiles good as just a single player loot rpg? I want kill monsters while making numbers go up

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know of no reason it shouldn't be. it's not like there's raid bosses to fight that require a group or anything.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

someone hasn't seen the passives tree from path of exile

It's even bigger than the Sphere Grid from FF10 christ

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

al-azad posted:

Is path of exiles good as just a single player loot rpg? I want kill monsters while making numbers go up

I didn't think so but I hate most video games

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Remember when PoE had massive tits on its health and mana orbs?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, it is a word. And so using it for any other kind of transformation would be fine.

But specifically calling your work "Metamorphosis" and having it be about someone who wakes up in their room as a cockroach, that's too similar.

it's also about the bug guy saving his friend joseph k. from an opaque and adversarial legal process. sounds like quite the trial

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

The drops are balanced in a way that assumes you'll be trading/haggling with others, but there are a few builds that claim not to require this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Volte posted:

Yeah in order to "finish" the game you had to do it on all four difficulties and the final one was, in the words of lead designer Jay Wilson, tuned to be barely beatable by the world's best players and then the difficulty was doubled.

ama abusing monk to get to act 4 inferno at launch

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

ama abusing monk to get to act 4 inferno at launch

same

Hope my invincibility doesnt fail to proc or I die in one hit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

There are giant tit statues that step on you in Path of Exile.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

i didnt know dennis villeneuve worked on that game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

same

Hope my invincibility doesnt fail to proc or I die in one hit

the game is obviously better now its not focused on the ah and has more sane difficulties and they added in way more wild gear stuff (love tornado monks) but... the knife edge inferno monk runs were fun in their own special way that i miss a bit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The super star from mario theme.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I said come in! posted:

I knew I gave up on that game too quick

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In FFXIV I got a part of a swimsuit by desynthing a rare fish and it just sold for 150,000 gil

I feel bad that someone paid that much for it but now I have no choice but to sell swimsuits to horny catgirl players

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sacred is probably my favorite clickfest because it’s masked as a Eurojank RPG. Sort of similar to Divine Divinity which I liked fine enough but drat is it balanced like poo poo where a single skill point is the difference between doing 0 damage and one hit killing.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

stev posted:

I said come in! posted:

Gonna need some screenshots there. For documentation.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

al-azad posted:

Sacred is probably my favorite clickfest because it’s masked as a Eurojank RPG. Sort of similar to Divine Divinity which I liked fine enough but drat is it balanced like poo poo where a single skill point is the difference between doing 0 damage and one hit killing.

It's wild because it had a bunch of passives plus the skill system and iirc you couldn't go back on any of it so it was easy to turbofuck your character. I remember going to their official forum and it was infested with the types that felt that some mistakes with point allocation meant that you just gotta roll a new character, man

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Enough skill trees, it's time for skill bushes.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

Sort of similar to Divine Divinity which I liked fine enough but drat is it balanced like poo poo where a single skill point is the difference between doing 0 damage and one hit killing.

This was also a thing in Divinity 2: DKS and Original Sin 1's early game. I didn't play enough of either to see weather it was true for the rest of those games but Larian seems fond of the trope.

May 8, 2006

the whole idea of having to start a whole new character anytime you want to try a new build is poo poo and respecs own.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Enough skill trees, it's time for skill bushes.

only if you can respec by shaving

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

al-azad posted:

Silverfall was a great ("great") Eurojank ARPG with chainsaw swords and steam powered super armour (and magic/nature stuff if you're super boring and mega lame)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Booette is good :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

precision posted:

Booette is good :colbert:

:chloe:

Adbot