Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Listen, man, I don't want to get all starry-eyed about the costs/benefits of postponing current pleasure but you've been posting in this thread consistently for more than two years, always weighing whether to pull the trigger. I guarantee you have watched twenty times as many hours of television since you first posted here than it would take you to earn the money to buy an OLED.

BUY. THE. TELEVISION.

That's the plan this year (:toxx:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
OLEDs are great. I have an OLED and a TCL 6-Series. I didn't really notice a huge difference at first when looking at 1080p poo poo over DirecTV. But now that I've switched to more streaming services and watching more 4K and HDR stuff, the OLED is loving amazing. If my TCL 6-Series ever dies, I'm replacing it with an OLED.

Buy the OLED.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

That's the plan this year (:toxx:)

Wait! The C10 is coming out!
And then you have to wait for a special on that!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Black Friday is just nine months away!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Lisa needs braces.
OLED

Lisa needs braces.
OLED

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh I should have bought that c9 when it went on sale for 1600 in November. Waiting for either another deal on the c9 and/or the C10 is getting old. Doesn't look like they discounted around the Superbowl at all this year.
I don't like watching someone suffer like this, so here's the deal:

You buy a C9 for yourself, and one for me.
You'll get the C9 and then you can rest assured your money was well spent. And in the back of your head, you can be like "WOW this is such a great picture... but I feel like maybe I overspent so when the C14 comes out with ATSC 4, Bluetooth QX, and HDMI 5 with Sensurround 3D and support for VR I'll DEFINITELY get a deal"

That sound good?

If not, Let's loving GO. Click the link, make the purchase.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

That's my point. I'm not paying $2500 for a 65" C9 when they were $1600 a few months back. Last year, they went down in price to Black Friday prices around the Super Bowl. This year, that didn't seem to happen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Residency Evil posted:

That's my point. I'm not paying $2500 for a 65" C9 when they were $1600 a few months back. Last year, they went down in price to Black Friday prices around the Super Bowl. This year, that didn't seem to happen.

Ah, so you need a 65?

Yeah I can see how that might be harder to find.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wouldn't trust a used or refurbished OLED.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

You tried greentoe? I bought before the black Friday sale although I paid more than $1600, I paid considerably less than $2500...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

American McGay posted:

I wouldn't trust a used or refurbished OLED.
LG's apparently (silently) replacing sets with burn-in for an additional 2 years or so. My guess is they're not making a big announcement because they don't want to shake confidence in the things.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bushido Brown posted:

You tried greentoe? I bought before the black Friday sale although I paid more than $1600, I paid considerably less than $2500...

Yeah I've tried greentoe a few times. No bites.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah I've tried greentoe a few times. No bites.

How low are you submitting/what would you be willing to pay? Sub 2000 is definitely doable. $1600 probably isn't.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FilthyImp posted:

LG's apparently (silently) replacing sets with burn-in for an additional 2 years or so. My guess is they're not making a big announcement because they don't want to shake confidence in the things.

This seems pretty YMMV from what I've seen, but they do seem to replace it a lot! There have also been people in r/OLED who say that their replacement was denied, but they're in the minority.

The Best Buy geek squad warranty also famously covers burn-in, at a substantial cost, if you must have 100% burn-in protection.

I really believe in the longevity of the C9 panels though. They made the red subpixel much larger- the fastest to burn in subpixel- which will cause that pixel to last far longer. I think that as long as you're even quasi-careful with the C9, it should take many years to burn in. A lot of the burn in happening on OLED is with the older sets, especially 7 series and older, which don't have the burn in tech and enlarged subpixels that protect the newest panels.

Bushido Brown posted:

How low are you submitting/what would you be willing to pay? Sub 2000 is definitely doable. $1600 probably isn't.

One thing about Greentoe is that their business model is a final price that includes tax. For that reason, accepted dollar amounts are going to vary wildly depending on what companies are offering at any given time, and if that company collects tax in that state (though the dominant company by far on GT seems to be Buydig).

In any case, I really believe that the C9 is the end game for the next year or two. The last feature we were really waiting for was HDMI 2.1, which the 9 has. There is some cool image processing on the CX 2020 model, but come on, is that worth the premium? I think it's clear personally that the best move is to buy the C9, preferably like 6 months ago, and then wait it out for Micro LED and get that set in, say, 4-5 years or so.

If you're in the market for an OLED, you've ALREADY missed the best window to make that purchase. That time frame, 4-6 months ago, was the best time ever to buy an OLED, and it's just downhill from here from a value perspective. People in the market could have been using their C9 for 6 months by now, and by waiting, they will have to spend the same amount of money now or in the next 6 months for the same exact panel that they could have had for a long time. Or, spend significantly more for the CX for marginal gain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha holy crap, my 2015 OLED just got a firmware update. I was worried when I turned it on to the webos logo as I hadnt seen any evidence of a power cut, but then it brought up the info.

God knows what they decided to do so late in its life. Just checked my log and I’ve had it on for just under 9,000 hours so gotten some fair use. Although jeez, that still works out at $3/hr if it was to die today... here’s to 10 more years then I hope!

E: “1) Fix the repeated Terms and Conditions Update Pop-up issue”. That’s it. Wow, definitely worth it!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
drat OLEDs were expensive in 2015.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

God knows what they decided to do so late in its life. Just checked my log and I’ve had it on for just under 9,000 hours so gotten some fair use. Although jeez, that still works out at $3/hr if it was to die today... here’s to 10 more years then I hope!

Please don't make me think of how much I paid for my OLED TV and how much it has cost me per hour so far...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

What a convoluted humblebrag :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Guys I don't think he actually paid $36,000 for his TV. I think he's just dumb.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Too many hours staring at spreadsheets broke my brain today. $3,000 (on sale!) 9,000 hours use and I did the sum the wrong way around.

Also, it would be $27,000 not $36,000 so feel free to join me in the dunces corner ;)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gah!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Just got a slickdeals alert for the 65C9 from Buydig for $1725 and earlier there was one for a greentoe like site for the 55C9 for $1200.

So, to be clear, costco is probably not going to follow those nutty prices down during clearance season right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paul MaudDib posted:

So, to be clear, costco is probably not going to follow those nutty prices down during clearance season right?
Not unless they want me murdering old people for those sweet OLEDs.

Currently their deal is a SquareTrade warranty with an OLED purchase. LG also gives you a free year's of Disney+. Not rock bottom pricing by any means but the squaretrade deal might be worth it if you already extend the warranty by paying with a Costco Credit card.

Oh someone wake Residency Evil because
the B9 65" is on sale for $1500 at Newegg

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I mean, I'd pay $100 or $150 extra for the 7y warranty (that's stupid) but it's not worth the current $800 premium over the greentoe type sites.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My mum needs a 32 inch TV as cheaply as possible. All the reviews for 32 inch TVs are pretty terrible, especially the cheap ones.

Should I get her a 32 inch monitor instead? They seem cheaper, surprisingly.

She already has a box to plug in, so no TV features are needed, just a display with an HDMI port and a 3.5mm audio out to plug in speakers.

fuf fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 8, 2020

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Paul MaudDib posted:

Just got a slickdeals alert for the 65C9 from Buydig for $1725 and earlier there was one for a greentoe like site for the 55C9 for $1200.

They have the B9 for $1800 plus free square trade and $1000 cash card.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

fuf posted:

My mum needs a 32 inch TV as cheaply as possible. All the reviews for 32 inch TVs are pretty terrible, especially the cheap ones.

I think you’re going to have to lower expectations or raise the budget from “bare minimum.” What’s a realistic number you’re willing to spend?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fuf posted:

Should I get her a 32 inch monitor instead? They seem cheaper, surprisingly.
32's are pretty unwanted because of how cheap and massive the 42+ market gets.

At a cheap price point, I would worry that a monitor would have lovely refresh and smear the image.

Does it need to be 32 because of space issues? Does it need to be like $50 cheap? There are Vizios on Amazon for like $200 at 40ish inches that would be ok.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I am thinking of picking up a 55" LG B9, but is it worth the couple hundred extra for a C9? Rtings makes it a bit unclear.

Also 2020 TVs are about to drop, so should I expect a price drop on the 2019 B/C9 once the 2020 models are officially out? Am I dumb to buy a 2019 TV so close to 2020 models? Do we know what improvements might be in a 2020 TV, where it would make sense to wait?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
eARC, Bluetooth 5, Gen3 processor, Auto Low Latency detection, and some expanded Dolby Vision/HDR options.

It doesnt have ATSC3 so it's not a killer futureproof upgrade. You'll be fine with a C9.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Does the C9 not have eARC? Appears to have AirPlay 2.0 as well which is nice. Not sure if I care about bluetooth 5 in my TV, but better DV/HDR sounds nice

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have a B9 and it has eARC and HDMI 2.1 (there's nothing to test it with though) and auto low latency (auto game mode). C9 will have the same things but with better processor. I deiced to get the B9 after reading the ratings review of it and the C9. So far don't regret it. TV looks amazing.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Cool, the C9 seems to be $100 more so I might just get that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dutchbstrd posted:

Cool, the C9 seems to be $100 more so I might just get that.

For that price, I would.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Yeah, my biggest concern is that with 2020 models right around the corner that now is a bad time to buy. Basically am worried that there will be a considerable price drop on the 2019 models in the next 4-6 weeks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There won't be.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Ya for a $100 more get the C9.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

:moonrio::moonrio::moonrio:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
It seems like the major brands have been disappointingly competent at managing supply so that they don't have fire-sale closeouts of excess inventory at the end of the year. And also disappointingly effective at getting retailers to comply with Minimum Advertised Pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Is there a brand of discount TV that has good smart TV apps on it? I want a budget 65" tv w/ hulu and netflix but don't want to get *too* budget where I'm getting a barely-useable interface that launched in 2015 and will never update. Like I don't mind shittier picture quality because it's just for very occasional use, but I want the hardware and software to be solid. Does such a thing exist?