Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

There's another Pacific island that we dare not, yet must, contemplate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Technowolf posted:

There's another Pacific island that we dare not, yet must, contemplate.

Island? Why not an entire continent?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Xelkelvos posted:

Island? Why not an entire continent?

Oh gently caress yes. Would probably be a complete pain in the rear end to mod in, unfortunately.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh gently caress yes. Would probably be a complete pain in the rear end to mod in, unfortunately.

Just Australia with giant squid instead of giant spiders.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I did just discover a mod where you can play in Japan but there's likely issues with it and idk what years it runs though. Also no Korea.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

habeasdorkus posted:

There is actually already a mod that adds this, Atlantis, and Lemuria. Out of date though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Alikchi posted:

There is actually already a mod that adds this, Atlantis, and Lemuria. Out of date though.

Oh man, if it's doable for Kangxi, I would love that.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh man, if it's doable for Kangxi, I would love that.

I would guess the real hassle would be converting out of EU with that mod.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Didn't we already get a mythos-land in the Hansa megacampaign?

We can at least go with one of the ideas that didn't make the cut (Lost World or LotR)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SirPhoebos posted:

Didn't we already get a mythos-land in the Hansa megacampaign?

Yeah, the Hansa megacampaign had Mythostralia, but that could have been rolled with in so many different ways that I wouldn't even mind seeing it again.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Caveman style mongols riding dinosaurs or bust.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

punched my v-card at camp posted:

I would guess the real hassle would be converting out of EU with that mod.

Hmm. Maybe there could be a supervolcano that sinks it between the waves when we switch to Vicky?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

The conversion is in progress. It may take some time. I am still interested in having more flags, and I'm willing to add more or less anything on the map or off it.

There are other countries that could use flags that I have not shown or discussed here before. Message me if you're interested.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hmmm nice I love these megacampaigns. Will try and dig into this.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Will you be releasing the EU4 scenario? Always looking for new cool and/or goofy stuff to mix up the monthly MP-game I host. This scenario looks amazing.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Yes, I will release the scenario after the EU4 part of the campaign is finished. I'm still in the very early stages of province modding and tag creation right now, so I can't make an exact date yet.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
INTERMISSION I

(Thank you very much to forums poster xthetenth for this valuable contribution, I have only made minor adjustments in word choice and sentence structure.)

An excerpt from an editorial from the Journal of South Scandinavian Studies, published by the Royal Thai Academy:

The Archaeology of Defense: A Methodological Framework for Interpreting Fortified Sites in Far-Western Regions

By Dr. Phanumas Chulanont, and Nguyễn Tịnh Lâm

quote:

Archaeological finds in recent decades add to a compelling case that the mysterious Latins warrant a significant reevaluation. Rather than being an inherently weak and fractious people inhabiting their semi-habitable backwater until the Norse, Nahua and Muslim conquests took their lands and built a new syncretic Franktlani culture, they possessed a distinctive architectural and cultural identity that was incorporated into the Hualanatlan kingdoms, shaping their rule even into the collapse in the early 1400s.

quote:

The broad strokes of that period are well known. The original Aztec invaders’ power had long since waxed, and their holdings were absorbed by Norse warriors whose successes had long since transformed that word from the original meaning of overseas adventurers to a designation of nobility in Western Europe. Bad harvests and epidemic diseases forced the Viking lords to contract their holdings to the fortifications where they could retain control. They left swathes of the countryside in the hands of whoever could inhabit it. Instead of stable control and tithes, these people were left to manage lands they had difficulty exploiting with the looming threat of famine compounded by Viking raids for food. It is a subject of some conjecture whether these people would have survived at all before the introduction of the potato plant, which can be hid from foraging armies more easily than cereals. These people were left in this state by the dismantling of local fortification by retreating Vikings, whose numbers were so reduced that they could not retain the remaining defenses.

quote:

The question remains. What is the source of the unusual density of fortifications in Western Europe? Originally, the role of these fortifications in securing the countryside for Norse rulers led to folklore claiming they were built by the Norse to control the local population. However, many sites easily date back to centuries before the start of Norse raids in Europe. Another possibility is that they were a response to the Aztec invasion. Again, the layered construction of these buildings indicates they were inhabited well before the 11th century. A tantalizing possibility is that these fortifications are themselves a distinct legacy of the Latin peoples and their history, that the Vikings were only the last and most successful wave to take over the lands and legacy that the original Latins took westward from the Greeks whose culture and construction they usurped at swordpoint. Fragmentary indications show that some of the cities and fortifications of Western Europe may date back to a hypothesized period where Latin peoples were engaged in skirmishes with migrating tribes and that this pattern continued through the centuries into later periods with a more clearly defined archaeological record as a means of securing territory and control against other more martial peoples.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

yesssss, colonizable Europe!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Milan nooo
:negative:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
holy poo poo what if you can colonize Rome and reclaim the Vatican

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"Archaeologists excavating around hill three have discovered human remains, along with potsherds, cookware, butchered livestock and ashes. There is some speculation that the hypothesized 'Latins' may have buried their deceased with grave goods and this may be the resting place of their support staff so that they may continue their duties to the ruling class in the afterlife. The more troubling assertion among a minority of scholars is that they've discovered a midden pile for the discarding of kitchen waste."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man I know Christianity, and Europe in general, took a beating but Rome itself being forgotten by history

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Who wants to bet that, despite us being in Tibet and all the nonsense to hit Europe, Hualanuitstlan here still becomes the our biggest rival for the remainder of this LP?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 31, 2020

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Rody One Half posted:

Man I know Christianity, and Europe in general, took a beating but Rome itself being forgotten by history

Please. We all know that the so-called "Empire of the Latins" is just an old myth, like Atlantis, or the Angla-Bretanner Monarchs, or Buddhist Tibet.

MaxieSatan fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 31, 2020

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rody One Half posted:

"Archeologist believe that Christianity was a derivative of Greco-Latin myths that venerated Saturn the Titan. The well-documented practice of ritualized cannibalism by the high priest is done in homage of their high god, and also explains why the other figures of Greek myth are absent.

"A vocal minority persist in claiming that Christianity actually has it's roots in the monotheist faith practiced by the Khazar people of Crimea, like Islam, but credited scholars believe these claims to be allegorical and revisionist. Some evidence exists that a syncretic version of Christianity that showed Muslim linfluences was practiced in Anatolia and the Balkans, but it's most likely that these beliefs emerged after the Mongol migration to this region".

EDIT: Just to fuel speculation:

Kangxi posted:

8 - THE FAR WEST
A(29) -The Demon of the Heavenly Son - Ill augurs, as a house burns.
B(8) -The Vase of Nectar - the activities of peace are accomplished.
C(14) -The Mara Demon of the Aggregate - Words from the great slaughterer.

10 - THE OTHER WORLD - THE CENTER
A(15) -The Vase of Nectar - Turbulence among relatives.
B(6) -The Demon of Afflictions - Activity that accompanies destruction.
C(30) -The Demon of the Heavenly Son - If the fires of desire blaze, oneself is burnt.

Also relevant: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890740&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post501074782

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2020

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Roma Delenda Est

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Aren't there recent questions of whether or not the cannibal rite was part of Latin practice before exposure to Nahua culture?

There's fragmentary references from the Greek empire of many civil wars while they were still attached to the Latin west, then falling to migratory peoples, all this before the Nahua and Norse takeovers. It's hard to see any continuity with what came before. You've got cranks going on about how the concrete filler of the pyramid in Rome dates back centuries earlier than expected and possibly having greek forms, but that's academics trying to get funding for their niche field by attributing the impossible to their pet backwater.

(out of character, in the first bit I'm going for 1491 but for europeans, and this one I'm wearing a different, stodgier mask)

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 31, 2020

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

This lp owns bones

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Just caught up with this thread after hearing about it from ByzLP. Good stuff, too bad I missed the conversion vote though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I just want to chip in and say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this LP. It's been a thoroughly enjoyable read and thank you for bringing my attention to the Byzantium LP. I've been catching up with it fast since I found out about it and it's keeping me entertained while I wait for the conversion here.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm curious-is this going to be the first EU4 LP that doesn't have the outdated Tech Group penalties?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm curious-is this going to be the first EU4 LP that doesn't have the outdated Tech Group penalties?

We are modding the tech groups, yes.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Forget this archaic and unprovenanced term of 'Latins': can't we all just go back to calling it by its archaeologically recognised name, the Red Jugs culture?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Obliterati posted:

Forget this archaic and unprovenanced term of 'Latins': can't we all just go back to calling it by its archaeologically recognised name, the Red Jugs culture?

when referring to this specific period the more precise but still common term is "ten-men," for their habit of adorning things with the Chinese numeral for ten, including often a small man in what is either some form of ancestor worship or perhaps a primitive fylgja.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kangxi posted:

We are modding the tech groups, yes.

What I meant was, until recently, tech groups had penalties that in the base game meant you were always trying to Westernize. But now it's been replaced with Institutions, so that while Europe would normally have a tech advantage, a player can get Institutions to spawn in their nation if they can push ahead in development.

FAKE EDIT: What do tech groups do now if it no longer has weights on research speed, determine unit types?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

SirPhoebos posted:

FAKE EDIT: What do tech groups do now if it no longer has weights on research speed, determine unit types?

Tech groups determine your starting institution penalty (basically if you start with feudalism or not), unit types, and the american groups are "primitive" and get reduced gold income, can't build boats and can't colonize non-adjacent provinces. To lose "primitive" status they have to reform their religion

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
In a regular EUIV game institutions are still weighted to trigger in specific regions (ie Renaissance in Italy or printing press in North Europe) meaning nations outside of Europe will usually have to wait a number of decades before the institution even spreads to them and they can adopt it.
A non-European player nation could force an already spawned institution to spread to their nation quicker by dumping a lot of points in to increasing a province's development. But generally everywhere outside of Europe is still spending most of the game playing catch-up.

In a CK2 - EUIV converted game however these restrictions seem to be lifted and institutions can pop up anywhere in the world from what I've seen, granted the province meets the other requirements.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 6, 2020

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Tulip posted:

when referring to this specific period the more precise but still common term is "ten-men," for their habit of adorning things with the Chinese numeral for ten, including often a small man in what is either some form of ancestor worship or perhaps a primitive fylgja.

:perfect:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

SirPhoebos posted:

What I meant was, until recently, tech groups had penalties that in the base game meant you were always trying to Westernize. But now it's been replaced with Institutions, so that while Europe would normally have a tech advantage, a player can get Institutions to spawn in their nation if they can push ahead in development.

Tech groups determine which land unit types you get. Western units are the best in the absolute late game, but not spectacular in any other period.

Also, this isn't a recent change. This changed when I still played eu4 single player, so it was definitely 2017 or earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Crisis Now posted:

In a regular EUIV game institutions are still weighted to trigger in specific regions (ie Renaissance in Italy or printing press in North Europe) meaning nations outside of Europe will usually have to wait a number of decades before the institution even spreads to them and they can adopt it.
A non-European player nation could force an already spawned institution to spread to their nation quicker by dumping a lot of points in to increasing a province's development. But generally everywhere outside of Europe is still spending most of the game playing catch-up.

In a CK2 - EUIV converted game however these restrictions seem to be lifted and institutions can pop up anywhere in the world from what I've seen, granted the province meets the other requirements.

As far as I know, it is literally impossible for Renaissance or Printing Press to spawn outside of Europe. And don't even get me started on how crippled African and especially American nations are from the start. :argh: I do understand some of the justification for that decision (and from what I know, Institutions are better than the old Tech Groups), but it's such a clumsy way of handling the technological disparities that emerged between 1444 and 1821.