Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
nah electric cars a super popular and the type of people who drive oversized vehicles would be fine with electric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Google exploiting alzheimers patients for data

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/1224154674804084736

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

super cursed

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

tfw you just took a dna test and it turns out you’re 100% lizzo’s biggest fan

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
is he covered in makeup

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

paul_soccer12 posted:

is he covered in makeup
what if the blue man group was white supremacist

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
some of the cover art here is quite nice, but that aside, what a terrible loving idea this was

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1225253278423760897

https://twitter.com/yesitshanna/status/1224880743437914112

https://twitter.com/seressia/status...k-history-month

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

there's like... classic books about non-white people right

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

an actual dog posted:

There's Dracula.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

an actual dog posted:

yeah, its called the bible :smugmrgw:

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's Dracula.

While Dracula definitely has an underlying theme of xenophobia, saying Dracula was a POC is sorta like saying the Irish and Slavs are POC.

That said, Dracula is criminally underrated and vastly better in almost every regard to Frankenstein and at least half the dreck that is on High School reading lists. It is legitimately fun to read.

Holy poo poo I just noticed they made The Three Musketeers samurai. How did those covers make it out of brainstorming.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

an actual dog posted:

uncle toms cabin
huck finn

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SgtMongoose posted:

While Dracula definitely has an underlying theme of xenophobia, saying Dracula was a POC is sorta like saying the Irish and Slavs are POC.

That said, Dracula is criminally underrated and vastly better in almost every regard to Frankenstein and at least half the dreck that is on High School reading lists. It is legitimately fun to read.

Holy poo poo I just noticed they made The Three Musketeers samurai. How did those covers make it out of brainstorming.

The weird thing is Dracula is actually a techno-thriller by the standards of its time featuring then-cutting edge technology used against an ancient mystical foe. Also, one of the characters is a goddamn cowboy.

And I'm surprised the samurai musketeers isn't already a thing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

an actual dog posted:

every "classic" book we consider "classic" in the western canon was by definition written by europeans

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

an actual dog posted:

The Arabian Nights, if you don’t get one of the lovely old translations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SgtMongoose posted:

He falls entirely in line with the dangerous and depraved eroticism that used to be associated with "orientals", going so far as to abandon a harem at home to go seducing white women. That this racial stereotype has largely been forgotten does not mean contemporaries wouldn't understand it, though I'll admit it's not about POC in the sense that the story features POC as main characters - but that doesn't mean that's not what it's about.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

SgtMongoose posted:

Hey, I thought Frankenstein was a great read.

Also lol they didn't even read the books

https://twitter.com/yesitshanna/status/1225053896042696704

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

an actual dog posted:

White people usually decide what constitutes a classic book or not. There's a lot of work by diverse authors that actually mattered a whole lot but either are sort of artificially forgotten in the push for the defined Canon of classic lit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Andorra posted:

This is truly insane. I can't even begin to comprehend the stupidity behind the decision to make AI look for ethnicity descriptions. Like, okay, you want stylised book covers to appeal to people of different cultural backgrounds. Questionable, but understandable. Shakespeare's been stylised back and forth on stage, from Macbeth cavemen to Trump Hamlet, so whatever. But why does it matter if the book explicitly said for some unknown reason that Alice was white? If it doesn't matter that the real person Charles de Batz de Castelmore AKA d'Artagnan was white, and on the book cover he can be a samurai, why even bother with the whole AI thing? Mind boggles.

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019
lol they included The Count of Monte Cristo, a book with one character who is a person of color, and he's the Count's African servant, who is mute because he got caught peeping on a harem and got his tongue torn out

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Yavuz posted:

lol they included The Count of Monte Cristo, a book with one character who is a person of color, and he's the Count's African servant, who is mute because he got caught peeping on a harem and got his tongue torn out

it was also somewhat inspired by his own actually black father, so this is one of the few that has some justification

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Moby-Dick has a ton of POC in it and probably has more progressive race attitudes than 99% of the literature of its time.

They should have put Queequeg spooning Ishmael on the cover

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

I created an algorithm that looks at the characters that appear on book covers and analyzes their cranial dimensions to determine which covers comply with my personal quota for haplogroup diversity! The results may shock you!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Andorra posted:

this owns and lmao at calling this AI

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just lmao at the concept of Neuralnet Hamiltoning a bunch of 1800s literature

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

it was also somewhat inspired by his own actually black father, so this is one of the few that has some justification

using AI to rewrite a story written by a black man to make it more woke is a hell of a thing

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dreylad posted:

using AI to rewrite a story written by a black man to make it more woke is a hell of a thing

They didn't rewrite (or indeed read) anything, they just blackfaced a character from the book whose race wasn't explicitly stated and put it on the cover to market the book to ???

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Pride-N-Prejudice: Pridin' Dirty

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

they should do that black Frankenstein movie though

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

Pride-N-Prejudice: Pridin' Dirty

Othello: jungle fever

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this whole debacle has strong YA fiction influencer vibes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Andorra posted:

lmao even the fuckin book publisher couldn't be bothered to track down someone who'd actually read the books that just about anybody literate in English has read

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dreylad posted:

this whole debacle has strong YA fiction influencer vibes

I was thinking this poo poo has its origins in Rowling being like "well I never said Hermione wasn't black :shobon:" so now people think if the book doesn't specifically say "she was in fact white, with alabaster skin, smooth as milk and flour, a lily in a sea of pearls" that well actually why couldn't she be black, in fact why shouldn't she be black

And that's how you get

https://twitter.com/KarenMusings/status/1224881915037134849?s=20

https://twitter.com/yesitshanna/status/1224916420313534464?s=20

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Heath posted:

I was thinking this poo poo has its origins in Rowling being like "well I never said Hermione wasn't black :shobon:" so now people think if the book doesn't specifically say "she was in fact white, with alabaster skin, smooth as milk and flour, a lily in a sea of pearls" that well actually why couldn't she be black, in fact why shouldn't she be black

And that's how you get

https://twitter.com/KarenMusings/status/1224881915037134849?s=20

https://twitter.com/yesitshanna/status/1224916420313534464?s=20
drat, looks like i gotta retrain the ai model!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

got any sevens posted:

Othello: jungle fever

I'm reminded of the time Patrick Stewart wanted to play Othello but without the history of blackface for the character, so he staged a performance with an entirely black cast besides himself.

Fallom posted:

they should do that black Frankenstein movie though

This sounds like a blaxploitation movie idea, Blacula cinematic universe when

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This sounds like a blaxploitation movie idea, Blacula cinematic universe when

I loved Blacula and Blackenstein so I picked up Invisible Man and this isn't what I expected at all

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the time Patrick Stewart wanted to play Othello but without the history of blackface for the character, so he staged a performance with an entirely black cast besides himself.

I think it was even simpler than that: ever since he was a kid he wanted to play Othello. I guess when he staged it in the 80s black theater actors could only audition for like 3-4 roles across the entire work of Shakespeare, so it was a big deal. Of course now a lot of the time most people don't give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

DoubleDonut posted:

I loved Blacula and Blackenstein so I picked up Invisible Man and this isn't what I expected at all

lol