Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He should have saved the shorts for when he actually beat White imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

"my mommy made my pants"

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

coconono posted:

All of CHAOS becoming a slacker club instead of dudes that wanted to run poo poo was quite a character adjustment.

CHAOS is my favourite stable because it's so weird. It's clearly two stables mashed together now. One half are the flashy pretty boys that the girls like and the other half tough blokes who are still hanging around

It would be very easy to split the stable. Far easier than any of the others but I'd miss the weird energy

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Chaos is what happens the star athlete’s moves to a new school and his gang gets taken over the weird pretty boy who keep inviting his friends (Sho and Yoh and Yoshi-Hashi and Will Ospreay) but because Nakamura vouched for him before he left Nakamura’s old friends (Ishii, Yano, Rocky) stick around.

Goto lost a feud with chaos and was subsumed which is why he isn’t in this metaphor.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rocky is Okada's best friend actually! :colbert:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That is because Okada’s goofy leadership skills led melted Rocky’s forever hooligan heart and forced him out of the no remorse corps. Havana Pitbulls.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rocky is Okada's best friend actually! :colbert:

Being accurate, Okada is Rocky's best friend.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

He should have saved the shorts for when he actually beat White imo

I am forces to emphatically disagree. Okada bringing back the blonde hair and the shorts just to lose clean as a sheet in 14 minutes is one of the most brilliant booking decisions ever.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Chaos is what happens the star athlete’s moves to a new school and his gang gets taken over the weird pretty boy who keep inviting his friends (Sho and Yoh and Yoshi-Hashi and Will Ospreay) but because Nakamura vouched for him before he left Nakamura’s old friends (Ishii, Yano, Rocky) stick around.

Goto lost a feud with chaos and was subsumed which is why he isn’t in this metaphor.

Speaking of Goto, I wish he'd get a run with the big belt one day. Dunno if that's a bad opinion, but there you go.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vagabundo posted:

Speaking of Goto, I wish he'd get a run with the big belt one day. Dunno if that's a bad opinion, but there you go.

If anybody's going to get a Nakanishi-style gold watch reign, it's gotta be him, but well, Nakanishi was the last guy to get one of those and that was 10 years ago.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Naito had like a three year story to get to the title, Goto will have a ten year saga where he finally doesn't loving choke

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hopefully not

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Not sure what the point of Goto is now that they have Shingo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RealFoxy posted:

Naito had like a three year story to get to the title, Goto will have a ten year saga where he finally doesn't loving choke

Naito got the belt less than a year after he returned from Mexico, his story was about the Tokyo Dome Main Event (and it was more like a 7-8 year story).

They could easily put the belt on Goto for a tour and have him drop it on the next one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dimebags Brain posted:

Not sure what the point of Goto is now that they have Shingo.

To have matches against Shingo!

Shingo can't have matches against himself... well, not yet anyway.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Both Goto and Ishii really deserve a run with the belt just for being such troopers. And Ishii also deserves it for being the best wrestler in the world.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/derekjo57629593/status/1225133984256012290?s=20

I stopped watching wrestling in 2001 because of all the cosplay outlaw mudshow bullshit

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If we're going to do a gold watch reign I'd rather it be Ishii than Goto

Goto not getting a run during the Yukes years is pretty telling as they were probably desperate for a home grown talent to have the title besides Nakamura/Tanahashi. And they never gave him the belt which says a lot

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If we're going to do a gold watch reign I'd rather it be Ishii than Goto

Goto not getting a run during the Yukes years is pretty telling as they were probably desperate for a home grown talent to have the title besides Nakamura/Tanahashi. And they never gave him the belt which says a lot

Goto, I suppose, would be the NJPW equivalent of Barry Windham in the 80s when the NWA World Heavyweight title meant something, someone that could be relied on to be a credible challenger for the belt and put on a good match with the champion, even if we all know he won't actually win it (I know Windham won the title in the early 90s, but by that point, the belt didn't mean much anyway), kind of like Minoru Suzuki when he's in the title picture.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Im sure there are plenty of promotions that do a more old school style. Isnt that the point of the NWA. Watch that instead of crying about AEW/modern wrestling.

I do agree that wrestling is relatively cold but this is entirely the fault of the wwe. They have lost fans who either have stopped watching wrestling altogether or gone surely there must be something better than this trash and that's why indies/aew/etc have found success

I just dont think the latter is outnumbering the former.

But its not fake hand grenades. Its the dog food

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Windham is a good comparison but more late career as one of Goto's problems is that he can look amazing in singles matches he's invested in but can than look so meh in ones he doesn't care about. And that's probably why they never gave him the belt

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Okada shouting scooby doo doing an elbow drop is more character in one moment than most WWE wrestlers get to show during a year

When was this? I must see it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
everyone, including Naito, should get to the back of the kline as Minoru Suzuki hasnt yet held the belt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

everyone, including Naito, should get to the back of the kline as Minoru Suzuki hasnt yet held the belt.

If they want to tank business like he tanked NOAH during his last run there sure.

If you are going to give Ishii or Goto the belt you can't just do it for a month on a random tour. It's a waste and devalues the belt. If you want to tell the story of Goto as the noble failure who is finally putting it all together to silence the doubters and prove he is a champion, you have to make it a big deal. Because the fans will get into that redemption story, but not if he looks like the challenger of the month.

The same if you are going to go all the way with Ishii. Neither probably should happen, maybe one of them, but there is the story and either would work with that audience. Probably Goto more than Ishii

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 6, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

If they want to tank business like he tanked NOAH during his last run there sure.

If you are going to give Ishii or Goto the belt you can't just do it for a month on a random tour. It's a waste and devalues the belt. If you want to tell the story of Goto as the noble failure who is finally putting it all together to silence the doubters and prove he is a champion, you have to make it a big deal. Because the fans will get into that redemption story, but not if he looks like the challenger of the month.

The same if you are going to go all the way with Ishii. Neither probably should happen, maybe one of them, but there is the story and either would work with that audience. Probably Goto more than Ishii

If you were gonna go all the way with one of them, which would you pick, what show would you do it at and how long would you have it last?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
NOAH's business didn't tank because of Suzuki; it tanked because Jado tried to book NOAH like it was New Japan and they have totally different fanbases: New Japan's fans like the old-school US style stuff that New Japan book a lot in their shows while NOAH fans really didn't like the constant interference and other similar things: not helped by the fact that Jado clearly isn't as good a booker as Gedo is. They then tanked further when Suzuki-gun left since they'd beaten all of their top stars and no one really got their heat back from the evil invaders so it took them time to rebuild back up to where they are now; which still isn't fantastic but they aren't near death anymore.

But they've missed the boat on when you could have done it with Suzuki: you could have had Suzuki in the role that Kojima had in 2009-10 when he was the big person that Tanahashi had to beat to 100% set him up as the ace but that's around the time he was finishing up with All Japan and then you could have had him in one of the Naito/Styles spots when they widened who the title could go on in 2015-16 but he was in NOAH at the time. Now I don't think there's a way that you could do it that'd make a lot of sense; it'd inherently be a short reign which in some ways is worse than not winning at all and Suzuki doesn't care enough about that sort of thing to really push for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The real gold watch reign that needs to happen is Taichi realising that if he put aside all his bullshit and actually tried then he'd find he does have the ability to be a champion :colbert:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lets book the yakuza lookin guys as the top acts in a promotion that's real skiddish of the Y word, what's the worst that could happen?

-Jado, summoning the ghost of carlos colon, probably.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

If you were gonna go all the way with one of them, which would you pick, what show would you do it at and how long would you have it last?

I would have Goto win the G1. The story is there, he's been mocked as a choker by opponents. People don't think he'd win, but they still like him. Have him announce if he doesn't win the G1 it will be his last. He wins, it's this huge moment, and then people start going "Ohhh he's gonna be the first person who loses the briefcase" and play off that by having him beat someone the fans would expect to be in the main event. The champion scoffs at him for being a choker who is going to choke on the biggest stage.

BUT: His friend Shibata believes in him and wants his friend to become IWGP Champion, something he will never be able to do. Goto wins, he and Shibata cry in the middle of the ring.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/Lord_Mountevans/status/1225482480230203393?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Admiral, MJF just fuckin whipped a man on live national television

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

I would have Goto win the G1. The story is there, he's been mocked as a choker by opponents. People don't think he'd win, but they still like him. Have him announce if he doesn't win the G1 it will be his last. He wins, it's this huge moment, and then people start going "Ohhh he's gonna be the first person who loses the briefcase" and play off that by having him beat someone the fans would expect to be in the main event. The champion scoffs at him for being a choker who is going to choke on the biggest stage.

BUT: His friend Shibata believes in him and wants his friend to become IWGP Champion, something he will never be able to do. Goto wins, he and Shibata cry in the middle of the ring.

Truly, the G in G1 did stand for Goto. :unsmith:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/Lord_Mountevans/status/1225486057703198722

That... that's a loving take I guess.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I have no idea who that person is but I'm blocked by them, so that's cool.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Actually it's good because then you get to say "calm your tits snowflake I was only using those slurs in character" and say all the n and f and t and r words you like safe in the knowledge that if anyone calls you on it it's just because you're a master at working the smarks.

What wrestling do these clowns even watch anymore because it doesn't sound like they enjoy any aspect of anyone's modern product?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Who doesn’t remember all those emotional distress lawsuits back in the early-aughts?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

It's always real obvious when that certain subset of male toxicity brain poisoned wrestling fans reveal that they only watch to massage their insecurity based power fantasies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They love to point out that actors play terrible characters that use all sorts of slurs, but those very same actors aren't expected to stay in character whenever they leave the house unlike wrestlers.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i don't need my wrestling heels to be bigots because i can watch real bigots get beat up for real on the internet but nobody is doing a canadian destroyer to a nazi (they should)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i don't need my wrestling heels to be bigots because i can watch real bigots get beat up for real on the internet but nobody is doing a canadian destroyer to a nazi (they should)

I vow to hit a nazi with a canadian destroyer just for you