Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Orvin posted:

No idea if you will need a VPN, but the episode is up for free on fox.com right now.

I have also heard that other countries have had LEGO Masters shows, so those might be easier to find.

Yeah I've watched ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chairchucker posted:

Is there a way for non Americans to watch episodes?

:filez:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

That sucks. Really would have been into a UCS Tie Bomber. Well I guess that saves me at least 200 dollars. I guess people that like those bad movies finally have a real UCS set to buy, so good for them.

I hope they don't start crapping up the whole UCS line with prequel stuff now. it is a pretty cool ship though, I'll give it that.

I really wanted the UCS Tie Bomber but the more I think about it, the more it feels like the Gunship has potential to be a fun/interesting build. Excited to see what they do with the wing gun pods since those have often looked a little lackluster in the standard sets (particularly the first one they did where it was just like, half domes that were open on the bottom) Ties look pretty great but I won't lie they haven't always been the most interesting of builds. Bomber is a bit better because it has the double fuselage design.

Also Prequels, as awful as they are, have some great ship and vehicle designs, I'd love to get more UCS for prequels because the Original Trilogy is kinda running dry on models. (Though I wouldn't say no to some UCS EU sets like a Tie Defender...) and Skywalker Trilogy is pretty much devoid of new/interesting ship designs.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'd say Kylo Ren's shuttle is the only design that's memorable. It's a good design too.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The first order star destroyer is nice too. Resurgence-class I think.

Unlike every other :airquote:new:airquote: design in the sequel trilogy, it actually looks like a believable update, and it caps off the venator design lineage neatly by being more of a carrier again.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I was in on the TIE Dagger design, but after watching an interview where the designers of the Interceptor explained that the empty notches in the panels are for the pilot to look left and right, it seems that for the Dagger the cool factor won out over realism.

It's still a nice design but now whenever I see it I wonder how bad their peripheral vision is

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

That sucks. Really would have been into a UCS Tie Bomber. Well I guess that saves me at least 200 dollars. I guess people that like those bad movies finally have a real UCS set to buy, so good for them.

I hope they don't start crapping up the whole UCS line with prequel stuff now. it is a pretty cool ship though, I'll give it that.
You want a UCS tie bomber? Here and here

Prequels do have some of the best ship designs though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This was a cool variant

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how 800 years in the past tie fighters had folding wings so they could land, and by the time of the Skywalkers they had lost that ability.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

You want a UCS tie bomber? Here and here

Prequels do have some of the best ship designs though.
"wtf 17.99$? That's insanely cheap"

quote:

Notes:
This purchase is for the instructions and part list ONLY
Parts Cost:
Prices tend to vary ~$190 to $230 USD

Oh.
Also, did not realize that it was 1494 parts. It really does not look it.

xzzy posted:

I like how 800 years in the past tie fighters had folding wings so they could land, and by the time of the Skywalkers they had lost that ability.
Something that I was thinking about this morning is that it seemed kinda funny the Jedi Starfighter from Episode 2 needed a big fancy hyperdrive ring. I guess hyperdrive tech came a long way in 20-30 years to the original trilogy for junker rebel ships to all have onboard hyper drives?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 6, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

Something that I was thinking about this morning is that it seemed kinda funny the Jedi Starfighter from Episode 2 needed a big fancy hyperdrive ring. I guess hyperdrive tech came a long way in 20-30 years to the original trilogy for junker rebel ships to all have onboard hyper drives?

If you watch the Clone Wars series you can clearly see that those jedi fighters are way, way, way more maneuverable (and quite a bit smaller) than any of the ships that have hyperdrives like X-wings. The equivalent of X wings at the time had hyperdrives, too.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Bloop posted:

If you watch the Clone Wars series you can clearly see that those jedi fighters are way, way, way more maneuverable (and quite a bit smaller) than any of the ships that have hyperdrives like X-wings. The equivalent of X wings at the time had hyperdrives, too.

Yeah ARC-170s and Y-Wings had them. Delta and Eta jedi fighters were just totally stripped down. Heck, at least they had shields, unlike a TIE. Or maybe the Eta didn't even have shields, now that I think about it.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 6, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

"wtf 17.99$? That's insanely cheap"

Oh.
Also, did not realize that it was 1494 parts. It really does not look it.

Yup! You can buy the instructions separately to support the creator, and the bricks as a set from non oem suppliers, which was the second link. Altogether ~80$, which is a pretty good deal imho

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I built a floating shelf this past weekend to consolidate most of my still assembled collection onto one shelf and off the 3 IKEA Bergshelf/Granhult (they had different names but I can't find them now) shelves that were kindof haphazardly around the room from before I rearranged my office, built my standing desk and started working from home. Kreg Jig for pocket hole assembly of the 2x4 frame, 3-1/2" lag bolts into the wall studs, and 1/2" birch on the top and 1/4" birch for the facings.

I have three options I'm trying to decide between for finishing it up.

1) Get another 1/4" birch slab and cut the facing pieces with the grain horizontal instead of vertical and finish it to roughly match the desk.
2) Same as above but either stain it Ebony or just paint it black.
3) The facings are 14 studs high, and I worked out a couple patterns with either 6x8 plates alternating horizontal/vertical with a 2x2 in the middle, or 3 horizontal on top and 4 vertical on the bottom, alternating each series, to tile the entire facing in either dark bluish grey or black plates. I'd need top order between 120-150 6x8s and a handful of 2x2s from Bricklink. The patterns are on the screen.

Also debating putting some LED backlights up. The underside of the shelf isn't finished yet, if at all, so running wiring would be nice and easy.

Thoughts?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'd say Kylo Ren's shuttle is the only design that's memorable. It's a good design too.

The bombers from TLJ are a good design weighed down by their only scene being about how bad they are.

Oxyclean posted:

Thee Jedi Starfighter is the TIE fighter's predecessor.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The bombers from TLJ are a good design weighed down by their only scene being about how bad they are.

You'd figure they'd have better formation tactics if fratricide was possible.

Also arming bombs before dropping them is stupid.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

CommanderApaul posted:

You'd figure they'd have better formation tactics if fratricide was possible.

Also arming bombs before dropping them is stupid.

Also gravity bombs in space that have to be dropped at close proximity by a manned ship while your buddies fly away on the only part of the planet where the enemy fleet is located..

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Also gravity bombs in space that have to be dropped at close proximity by a manned ship while your buddies fly away on the only part of the planet where the enemy fleet is located..

They’re supposed to be magnetic, because there is no gravity in space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drgitlin posted:

They’re supposed to be magnetic, because there is no gravity in space.

Then why does the earth continue to orbit the sun? :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

xzzy posted:

Then why does the earth continue to orbit the sun? :colbert:

Magnets

(this is a real thing someone suggested when I was in 8th grade and the science teacher agreed that it was possible)

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Anyone going to or been to Brick Fest Live? I'm going tomorrow and not sure what to expect compared to the local expos I've been to.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pretty awesome transformer

https://twitter.com/legodoumoko/status/1225418835022372867

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a really cool twitter thread, click through

https://twitter.com/nujoud/status/1226195236944334849?s=21

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

In not-Lego news: I knew what I set myself up for, but this set teached me that I'll never even take a look at the Lego Taj Mahal. There's only so many similar steps I can do within a given time...

(it's a cool set, and I love the colors and it's an eye catcher in my office, especially since I have chinese customers couple of times per year and actually went to that pagode couple years ago [luckily not in the near past!])

Next steps: build the real-Lego backlog (WEC racer, F1 racer, Mack Anthem) before the new technic sets drop, as some of them sound pretty good.

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 9, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new Ferrari Speed Champions is a pretty sweet model, and I think it would look fine if you left off all the stickers (although no headlights.)

I found it funny that they need to fill space in the rear half with two 2x4 bricks which are enormous at this scale.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

smackfu posted:

The new Ferrari Speed Champions is a pretty sweet model, and I think it would look fine if you left off all the stickers (although no headlights.)

I found it funny that they need to fill space in the rear half with two 2x4 bricks which are enormous at this scale.

I picked this up last weekend and was pretty impressed by what you got for a $20 MSRP kit for a real world licensed car.

Stickers made me a little sad but the thing is solid as a rock and the driver minifig is great. Would Speed Champions again, especially with the new 8-wides.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

smackfu posted:

I think interior details instead of those bricks are something future sets might have. I saw one mod of the Audi to put in a really nice approximation of it's inline 5.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

tuo posted:

In not-Lego news: I knew what I set myself up for, but this set teached me that I'll never even take a look at the Lego Taj Mahal. There's only so many similar steps I can do within a given time...

(it's a cool set, and I love the colors and it's an eye catcher in my office, especially since I have chinese customers couple of times per year and actually went to that pagode couple years ago [luckily not in the near past!])

Next steps: build the real-Lego backlog (WEC racer, F1 racer, Mack Anthem) before the new technic sets drop, as some of them sound pretty good.

Taught. The past-tense of “teach” is taught.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

YanniRotten posted:

Stickers made me a little sad but the thing is solid as a rock and the driver minifig is great. Would Speed Champions again, especially with the new 8-wides.

I do love the ridiculous printed 1x1 plate with the teeniest Ferrari logo that you use right in front of the side mirrors. I guess it is too small to sticker?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yes. Too small. Previous Ferraris also have that part.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's this and how much is it?

Chill Penguin posted:

I'm gonna stuff you in a locker

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Chill Penguin posted:

Argh, sorry, not a native english speaker, but should have known better.

Captain Invictus posted:

what's this and how much is it?

Xingbao Yellow Crane Tower. Actually "rather" expensive for an Xingbao-set. Got it for 150 EUR (should be about 170 USD). Close to 6800 pieces, numbered bags, perfect instructions, no missing pieces, stickers (boooh!) for the big signs on top only, the one on the bottom are prints. Part quality typical Xingbao, which imo means "very close to lego, as long as it doesn't get too bright", and the same here. The bright light orange pieces were absolutely fine, but the yellow pieces lack the friction you come to know from real Lego.

Instruction wise, there are two pretty dumb things (putting plates under a huge structure which you are supposed to build upon, allthough there is no reason to put them under there at that point apart from everything falling apart...simply remove them, and put them on once the pagode is finished).

I have to correct some of the little fishes and angles and whatever (due to moving the thing around etc.), but it really is an eye-catcher. But I think I'll never want to build it again, as there is soooo much repetiton (I mean, yeah, I knew that, but drat...).

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 9, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm currently contemplating about wether to work on my technic backlog, or get the Old Trafford.

I don't care about Arsenal, I'm a St. Pauli fan, but I like that stadium...but I kinda hate the amount of stickers on it. Is the build fun? I read different things on the net, but I trust goons. Anyone built that set yet?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

smackfu posted:

I built it yesterday off the strength of the other two standalone 8 wides and it was quite enjoyable. I like that the size allows them to use more interesting pieces to create more complex shapes that follow the detail of the actual car more closely, and I think the Ferrari is the best example of that I’ve built yet.

Also the minifig that comes with the Ferrari is way above average for speed champions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The new landspeeder is pretty neat. They packed in some new details and changed the build technics quite a bit, but as I swapped it out with my near identical old landspeeder, it really started to sink in that I had essentially had just bought a $30 minifigure poncho and it made me feel mildly ill.

They really know my/our weaknesses. Even the guy at the Lego store was like "I want to get that set just for the poncho" lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 9, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Build-wise it’s the most different one since they started doing them. I think the small details are the best yet, as well- engines, seats, dashboard, etc. But yeah it’s like the billionth rendition of the vehicle and looking at them on a shelf it’s like, well, the engines look better?

I think if it was a little cheaper and they didn’t make one every couple years it’d be more appreciated. I like it quite a bit though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tuo posted:

Xingbao Yellow Crane Tower. Actually "rather" expensive for an Xingbao-set. Got it for 150 EUR (should be about 170 USD). Close to 6800 pieces, numbered bags, perfect instructions, no missing pieces, stickers (boooh!) for the big signs on top only, the one on the bottom are prints. Part quality typical Xingbao, which imo means "very close to lego, as long as it doesn't get too bright", and the same here. The bright light orange pieces were absolutely fine, but the yellow pieces lack the friction you come to know from real Lego.
dang, I might have to pick that up when I'm able. that looks really nice, and is relatively cheap, especially if the part quality is good.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

dang, I might have to pick that up when I'm able. that looks really nice, and is relatively cheap, especially if the part quality is good.

Part quality is really good, overall set quality (instructions, numbered bags etc.) is lego quality. You'll have to do a lot of build steps at least four times (obviously), and on slightly modified versions maybe four-by-four times..With all the pillars and stuff it''s totally okay, even the roofs are okay. The little (I'm not professional pagode builder, so I lack the proper term) thingies that kinda "span" the roof, though? The one where they used the fishes? Not only will you be building them alot, but they are also made out of alot of small pieces.

It's okay, I had worse sets from Lego, but I wouldn't recommend it with the words "you'll have an awesome building experience". It's fine, I assume the Taj Mahal is way worse..

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of bad builds. What is your least favorite?

Mine would probably be the roller coaster. So man pillars. And they kind of hurt to put together, as well. Just a terrible build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fallingwater hands down. just 1000 tan/clear 1x2 plates and it doesn't even look that good when it's done. It was the only Lego set I had during my dark ages so I still thought it was cool because I didn't know how much fun the other sets were to build. If I bought it now I'd be pissed at how much it sucks.