Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Im thinking of touring the Japanese country side on a motorcycle, how much should i expect disdain as a foreigner

No one cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm conflicted. Was he a good doctor because he found a strain of some weird virus and tried to warn people. Or was he a bad doctor because he got sick with something treatable and died anyway.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm conflicted. Was he a good doctor because he found a strain of some weird virus and tried to warn people. Or was he a bad doctor because he got sick with something treatable and died anyway.

A doctor of contrasts.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
This is a little long but it touches on a lot, Xi's ambitions and how the outbreak is affecting them, trade wars, Uighur camps, China-Russian relations etc..

https://time.com/5778994/coronavirus-china-country-future/

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My capitalist brain is diseased. These outbreaks seem to happen every few years now. So facemask a are going to be expensive for a while until the current one blows over. So wait until a trough, stockpile a bunch in your basement and sell them during the next panic. I assume there's a bunch of dickheads already doing/planning this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Buy low, sell high. The market will provide.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rule of Acquisition #23: Nothing is more important than your health... except for your money.

I'm pretty sure Mao wrote that.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Rule of Acquisition #23: Nothing is more important than your health... except for your wealth.

I'm pretty sure Mao wrote that.

Fixed it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

He was 70% good, 30% bad.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

D-Pad posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum to bad chinese bathrooms I went to a club in Shanghai and the bathroom attendant started massaging my shoulders as I pissed in the urinal. I went with it and found it very relaxing.

Oh drat, you must've found Phil Ken Sebben's VIP room.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Uncle Xi is gonna deliver an whoooole lot of aid blankets to the uyghurs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That doctor dying is the first thing I've seen break people since Xi declaring himself emperor for life. Even the most die hard nationalist brainworms person I know is loving livid at the party about it, first time I've ever seen her say anything negative about the PRC. Wechat is full of pissed off posts, I've never seen anything like it.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

That doctor dying is the first thing I've seen break people since Xi declaring himself emperor for life. Even the most die hard nationalist brainworms person I know is loving livid at the party about it, first time I've ever seen her say anything negative about the PRC. Wechat is full of pissed off posts.

He (might) still be alive:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51403795

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
Chen Qiushi may be missing according to r/china_flu.

Go to hell CCP and the Pooh bear

font color sea fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 6, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Actually, everyone in China is already dead. They just don't want to admit it to save face.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Confirmed dead now. Dude was what, 34? Scary loving poo poo

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Yeah this was such a mess, for some time Chinese media in English would say he was dead, while the Chinese language editions of the same paper would be all like "we're doing everything we can to treat him".

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That doctor dying is the first thing I've seen break people since Xi declaring himself emperor for life. Even the most die hard nationalist brainworms person I know is loving livid at the party about it, first time I've ever seen her say anything negative about the PRC. Wechat is full of pissed off posts, I've never seen anything like it.

My wife who was never nationalist but one of the many "Yeah well the CCP isn't' great, but things could be worse, and in the end, we can't do anything about it" types of people. She is loving pissed off, I've never seen her react so strongly to news like this before. I wonder what this might result in if the virus and the incompetency drags on, or if people will just forget and go back to business as usual.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, it was quite a different article when I posted it. drat.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

fish and chips and dip posted:

I wonder what this might result in if the virus and the incompetency drags on, or if people will just forget and go back to business as usual.

As long as quality of life returns and people are still relatively wealthy then they will. People will only care if it’s part of a larger downfall, like the virus causing major long-term economic effects.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

BrigadierSensible posted:

My little stories that add nothing to a couple of recent topics:

When I lived and worked in Yokohama, one day at the school some of the English teachers were talking in the break room about perverts. The Japanese staff listening didn't know what "pervert" meant, and so asked us what it meant. Nobody really wanted to explain it, because we didn't want to embarrass ourselves and the nice 20 something girls who were innocent of this word. Eventually somebody said that it was similar to "otaku". The girls giggled and nodded, and understood.

afaict every anime ever produced has a pervert character that does perverted stuff, not to mention there's perverts on the buses feeling up schoolgirls and buying their underwear. I find it hard to believe a group of 20 year old women truly wouldn't understand that concept

e: don't they just call all perverted stuff, including perverted people, "hentai"?

Bardeh posted:

Yeah that kind of surprised me too. I guess I hadn't realized that it was killing healthy adults, I assumed it was mostly older people or people with compromised immune systems

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Play posted:

afaict every anime ever produced has a pervert character that does perverted stuff, not to mention there's perverts on the buses feeling up schoolgirls and buying their underwear. I find it hard to believe a group of 20 year old women truly wouldn't understand that concept

e: don't they just call all perverted stuff, including perverted people, "hentai"?

It wasn't that they didn't understand the concept, more they didn't understand the English word. And also that they associate the concept with a different word that is used to describe Westerners, (and Japanese people), who are overly into Japanese media.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

also that they associate the concept with a different word that is used to describe Westerners, (and Japanese people), who are overly into Japanese media.

sounds like they nailed it ;)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LimburgLimbo posted:

As long as quality of life returns and people are still relatively wealthy then they will. People will only care if it’s part of a larger downfall, like the virus causing major long-term economic effects.

could unseat Xi though, if some of his yes-men turn out to be the type of yes-men who are only saying yes until they have a good opportunity for a knife in the back

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Klyith posted:

could unseat Xi though, if some of his yes-men turn out to be the type of yes-men who are only saying yes until they have a good opportunity for a knife in the back

Xi's only a symptom not a cause. As long as the CCP exists itll keep churning out little Stalin's because its only goal is to survive and only strongmen will keep it alive.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

LimburgLimbo posted:

The GDP is gonna drop like a rock, and there is only so many clever ways CCP can prop it up before people realize that like 2 months of production were lost due to every factory ever getting plague ratted on a rotating basis.

Given how hilariously cutthroat everything is in China, I could totally see someone deliberately infecting a rival factory a month or two after it reopens. It's not like virus cultures are particularly tricky to acquire and store, when 10% of your population has it.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

My capitalist brain is diseased. These outbreaks seem to happen every few years now. So facemask a are going to be expensive for a while until the current one blows over. So wait until a trough, stockpile a bunch in your basement and sell them during the next panic. I assume there's a bunch of dickheads already doing/planning this.

Baronjutter posted:

Buy low, sell high. The market will provide.

Wealth beyond health measure, outlander

Klyith posted:

The problem with "playing along" as a yes man/useful idiot is that you have to outmaneuver the person you're trying to unseat, and Xi Jinpooh Bear is smart enough to get the useful idiots out before he gets got, so to say.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Bangkok also has bathroom attendants who give massages and warm towels after you wash your hands. These are also legit clubs as far as anything in Bangkok is legit.

The attendants expect a tip of like $0.60 per massage though.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Friend tried to get into student exchange in China for his last semester of law school, worked hard as poo poo for the last few years and now because of the outbreak exchange was canceled. Feel so sorry for poor bastard

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RustyKnight posted:

Friend tried to get into student exchange in China for his last semester of law school, worked hard as poo poo for the last few years and now because of the outbreak exchange was canceled. Feel so sorry for poor bastard

...to China or from China?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Given how hilariously cutthroat everything is in China, I could totally see someone deliberately infecting a rival factory a month or two after it reopens. It's not like virus cultures are particularly tricky to acquire and store, when 10% of your population has it.

Like they literally did with the African swine fever, except people instead of pigs.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

RustyKnight posted:

Baffled why a law student would want to cap off their legal studies by spending a semester in a place with an almost complete absence of rule of law or fair judiciary.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Known Lecher posted:

Baffled why a law student would want to cap off their legal studies by spending a semester in a place with an almost complete absence of rule of law or fair judiciary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iCZpFMYd0

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

RustyKnight posted:

Tell them to spend their summer or whatever in Taiwan and get all the good stuff and less of the bullshit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Known Lecher posted:

Good practice for America.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Trump trying to be the Piglet to Xi's Pooh Bear:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1225728755248828416?s=19

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did the CCP kill that Dr for shaming them by bringing to light a virus? Probably not.

But, how does a perfectly healthy Dr die of a treatable illness, especially when he is the one who started researching it first. Contracting it makes sense. But after that, he should be okay. Does it do more than give you pneumonia?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
there are plenty of resources that document the effects of the virus

generally healthy adults would be expected to survive this but some immune reactions have been noted that could disproportionately effect younger healthy people. in his specific case they probably won't release more info. seems likely to me he was overworked and exhausted, was infected, and probably just got unlucky - it's hard to imagine that the CCP wouldn't have pulled out the stops to keep him alive once his situation was serious. i'm sure the reaction by the public was anticipated

if you're suggesting they killed him or let him die that just doesn't make any sense at all in this case

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mozi posted:

there are plenty of resources that document the effects of the virus

generally healthy adults would be expected to survive this but some immune reactions have been noted that could disproportionately effect younger healthy people. in his specific case they probably won't release more info. seems likely to me he was overworked and exhausted, was infected, and probably just got unlucky - it's hard to imagine that the CCP wouldn't have pulled out the stops to keep him alive once his situation was serious. i'm sure the reaction by the public was anticipated

if you're suggesting they killed him or let him die that just doesn't make any sense at all in this case

The doctor's name was the most censored word on Chinese internet this past day or two. People are pissed about how that went down, mostly about the government refusing to credit his warning and even accusing him of trying to foment unrest or whatever.

They'll forget about it soon enough, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah for sure. It's tragic and he's a clear symbol of how the government failed the people. Whether or not he's forgotten will depend on how things go from here; there are some indications that the spread may be slowing but given the uncertainty only more time will tell for sure. If it's not slowing and the effects both heath and economic continue to worsen then it could be the beginning of a larger movement, possibly. (Probably not but I'd be happy to be surprised.)

My point was just that I don't suspect foul play in his passing - the CCP would have much preferred he survive to be able to tell everyone afterwards that the CCP is just fine and dandy.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 7, 2020