Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thanks sullat- in case it's not clear, my area of knowledge is actually pretty limited. I just see what crosses my desk shared workspace in the federal building rented office sub-basement.

Publication 3498 is the official audit process description. It's semi-legible, though it's mostly focused on the appeals process (we give it to people at the end of an office audit).

Don't worry though, I have a much more convenient resource for you.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
One thing I would note, if you have to correct a federal return be sure to also review any state returns, because they may need amending too. They do talk to each other, so changes to an IRS return will eventually come to the attention of the state division of revenue; better to fix both at once if needed (which may take a state amendment even if you don't need to send one to the IRS).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm 95% sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to double check:

We currently have 1 kid, and will have another in a few months. We currently use a Dependent Care FSA for #1's day care and fully fund it, so that's $5k.

We never looked at the Child Care Tax Credit before because it maxed out at $3,000 for 1 kid. But now with 2 kids it maxes out at $6,000.

So I know that we can't double dip the tax credit with the FSA. However, we can still claim the $1,000 difference between the FSA and the tax credit max, right?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

I'm 95% sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to double check:

We currently have 1 kid, and will have another in a few months. We currently use a Dependent Care FSA for #1's day care and fully fund it, so that's $5k.

We never looked at the Child Care Tax Credit before because it maxed out at $3,000 for 1 kid. But now with 2 kids it maxes out at $6,000.

So I know that we can't double dip the tax credit with the FSA. However, we can still claim the $1,000 difference between the FSA and the tax credit max, right?

$1000 * whatever decimal amount you use from line 8, I'm going to guess .20, but double check yourself.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

sullat posted:

$1000 * whatever decimal amount you use from line 8, I'm going to guess .20, but double check yourself.

I'm pretty sure it's 20% for us, but my main concern was making sure that I could even use that $1,000 worth of space. Thanks!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

DaveSauce posted:

I'm pretty sure it's 20% for us, but my main concern was making sure that I could even use that $1,000 worth of space. Thanks!

I am in the same situation and that is what H&R Block's software is telling me to do.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I did a run through of my taxes with Turbotax and I'm now doing second pass with H&R Block to see if the numbers match up and I'm running into a weird situation.

I don't live in the US, all of my income is from my non-US self-employed work.

H&R block is adding the QBI deduction and TurboTax expressly excluded it because my income is non-US.

I'm not one to say no to free money, but I think TurboTax is right here?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've never heard of someone shooting and hanging themselves at the same time before.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I've never heard of someone shooting and hanging themselves at the same time before.

Is this your way of saying that TurboTax and HR Block suck?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I did a run through of my taxes with Turbotax and I'm now doing second pass with H&R Block to see if the numbers match up and I'm running into a weird situation.

H&R block is adding the QBI deduction and TurboTax expressly excluded it because my income is non-US.

Qualified business income must be effectively connected to the United States, so your foreign self-employment likely does not qualify. And in that case you would be giving up your foreign earned income exemption/foreign tax credits.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Is this your way of saying that TurboTax and HR Block suck?

I don't know them in any detail, though they both have their own ways of steering people wrong. Mostly I just loathe the companies behind them. Try the instructions on the irs website, it's got a bunch of QBI materials.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Qbi is no dice on non us income.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Now that the IRS gets cost basis for stocks, do they still send out CP2000 letters that assume your cost basis was $0 if you leave a transaction off your return?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

smackfu posted:

Now that the IRS gets cost basis for stocks, do they still send out CP2000 letters that assume your cost basis was $0 if you leave a transaction off your return?

Cost basis reporting started January 2011, and not for everything at once, so lots of folks have stocks and such with no reported basis. It’ll be a long while before that stops being the case, and even then I’m not sure basis reporting takes into account things like step up basis properly. Besides, even when stocks stop being a problem we’ll still always have the good ol’ “home realtor decides to issue a late 1099-S on the sale of primary home and the IRS thinks you sold a $0 home for several hundred thousand and no exclusion, enjoy the heart attack bill!”. At least answering these things can be hilarious when it turns out the sale in question was actually an improperly reported capital loss; story I keep mentioning is the client with a letter for $95,000 that actually deserved a $1000 additional refund. Commented to the preparer with that one their poor client probably got whiplash when they were told what actually happened.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I filed my taxes and reported misc. income my wife made, but then lo and behold, she informed me after we filed that she got 1099-Misc forms for that income.

Do I need to ammend my return with those 1099's or am I in the clear since I already reported that income?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've put everything into FreetaxUSA, and it thinks I'm owed almost $1k on my Colorado state tax. But CO's own online filing site believes I owe them $2k. How could this discrepancy exist/what could I have entered wrong?

(edit) I missed CO withholding on one of my 1099R's on CO's site, but it's still at $1k owed so still $2k discrepancy to account for

(edit again) Nevermind, the instructions on CO's site are bad, I used the wrong number from the 1040 :doh: matched up perfectly once I fixed it at least

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 9, 2020

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So I have maybe a dumb question. If I take out the full 2700 out of my paycheck per year to go toward an HSA or medical card am I allowed to do anything else with those medical expenses on my taxes or have I already gotten everything I can out of it by having that specific money not taxed by putting it into the HSA in the first place??

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Philosopher King posted:

So I have maybe a dumb question. If I take out the full 2700 out of my paycheck per year to go toward an HSA or medical card am I allowed to do anything else with those medical expenses on my taxes or have I already gotten everything I can out of it by having that specific money not taxed by putting it into the HSA in the first place??

You kinda phrased that funny, so to be clear: making the contribution and taking a distribution are two different events.

Making a contribution has no bearing on what you're asking. It's a contribution, nothing more.

The distributions, however, are where the issue comes in. So if you pull money OUT of your HSA/etc. to pay for medical expenses, you cannot double dip and claim those same medical expenses as deductions on your taxes. And that's for the very reason you stated; you've already paid for them with pre-tax money.

So if you're using that HSA money to pay for stuff, then you're correct. However if you just leave the money in your account, then you can still take a tax deduction for any medical expenses you incur.

Something to note is that you can only deduct medical expenses ABOVE a certain percentage of your AGI... something like 7.5% I think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can't double dip - if a medical expense is paid out of HSA funds, as far as the feds are concerned it can't be deducted. The HSA allows you to reduce your taxable income up front, and does so on a much lower dollar amount than needed to itemize your medical expenses.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

DaveSauce posted:

You kinda phrased that funny, so to be clear: making the contribution and taking a distribution are two different events.

Making a contribution has no bearing on what you're asking. It's a contribution, nothing more.

The distributions, however, are where the issue comes in. So if you pull money OUT of your HSA/etc. to pay for medical expenses, you cannot double dip and claim those same medical expenses as deductions on your taxes. And that's for the very reason you stated; you've already paid for them with pre-tax money.

So if you're using that HSA money to pay for stuff, then you're correct. However if you just leave the money in your account, then you can still take a tax deduction for any medical expenses you incur.

Something to note is that you can only deduct medical expenses ABOVE a certain percentage of your AGI... something like 7.5% I think.

How would this work when you can reimburse yourself at any point down the road? If I take the tax benefit of spending 10% of my income now, and then reimburse myself 30 years later am I supposed to file an amendment?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tumblr hype man posted:

How would this work when you can reimburse yourself at any point down the road? If I take the tax benefit of spending 10% of my income now, and then reimburse myself 30 years later am I supposed to file an amendment?

No you aren't supposed to reimburse for things you already took a distribution on. It's tax fraud. You're really exceedingly unlikely to get caught though.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

H110Hawk posted:

No you aren't supposed to reimburse for things you already took a distribution on. It's tax fraud. You're really exceedingly unlikely to get caught though.

You mean deduction not distribution right? I don't have an HSA anyway, but what an easily cheated system.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I filed my taxes and reported misc. income my wife made, but then lo and behold, she informed me after we filed that she got 1099-Misc forms for that income.

Do I need to ammend my return with those 1099's or am I in the clear since I already reported that income?

To clarify, are you asking if you need to file a 1099-MISC with your tax return as someone who received that income? Because that's not what that form is for.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Discendo Vox posted:

To clarify, are you asking if you need to file a 1099-MISC with your tax return as someone who received that income? Because that's not what that form is for.

I think so?

I reported the income on my return, I just didn't report it using the 1099 (using H&R block software), I instead looked back on my budget/bank statements to verify how much she earned through that side job. I just put it in as miscellaneous unreported income.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tumblr hype man posted:

You mean deduction not distribution right? I don't have an HSA anyway, but what an easily cheated system.

Today you deposit $1000 into your hsa. That is legally deducted from your agi, making it pre-tax money.

You incur $10,000 in expenses on $50k of income and deduct the amount over 10% of your income from your agi ($5k). This makes $5k of it pretax.

In 30 years you have $10k in your hsa. You can legally reimburse the remaining $5k as its the only amount that was still paid with post-tax money.

That's it. To my understanding.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

H110Hawk posted:

Today you deposit $1000 into your hsa. That is legally deducted from your agi, making it pre-tax money.

You incur $10,000 in expenses on $50k of income and deduct the amount over 10% of your income from your agi ($5k). This makes $5k of it pretax.

In 30 years you have $10k in your hsa. You can legally reimburse the remaining $5k as its the only amount that was still paid with post-tax money.

That's it. To my understanding.

Makes sense, just seems like a super easy way to cheat although I suppose in the grand scheme of things it isn't much money and relies on you having a ton of medical expenses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only thing the IRS asks is for you to check a box affirming that you didn't use any HSA withdrawals for anything other than medical expenses... yes, it's very easy to abuse, but by that logic so is just about every part of tax filing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

I think so?

I reported the income on my return, I just didn't report it using the 1099 (using H&R block software), I instead looked back on my budget/bank statements to verify how much she earned through that side job. I just put it in as miscellaneous unreported income.

That should be fine, as long as your estimate was correct. You don't need to include 1099 Misc forms with your return. If your estimate was wrong than yeah, you would want to file an amended return.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

A return being "accepted" by the IRS is totally meaningless, right? Just means "you didn't gently caress up your last-year AGI or your PIN"?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

A return being "accepted" by the IRS is totally meaningless, right? Just means "you didn't gently caress up your last-year AGI or your PIN"?

There's a few other issues that the e-file system screens for, but yeah, it just means that the IRS has accepted your return and it is successfully filed. If there are any further problems the IRS will contact you by mail.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sullat posted:

There's a few other issues that the e-file system screens for, but yeah, it just means that the IRS has accepted your return and it is successfully filed. If there are any further problems the IRS will contact you by mail.

Thanks much.

Two attempts (TaxAct and FreeTaxUSA, the latter which I actually filed with) got me the same CO state refund to the dollar; the other two were $50 off for reasons I couldn't work out. Hopefully the one I filed is accurate, I'm gonna be nervous about it for weeks :ohdear:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ciaphas posted:

Or at least didn't get a reject for any of about fifty billion issues, some that will definitely leave you scratching your head when they come up (been getting weird random rejects in my area of "claiming child tax credit for child not under age 17" for kids who very much aren't that old and were filed without issue previously this year :rolleyes:).

Handsome Ralph posted:

I think so?

As long as the income was reported in the right place and matches the 1099-MISC information, it's no issue at all. Most of the point of the 1099-MISC is to prevent people taking payment "under the table", so if you're reporting it already you're in compliance with its function really. You're supposed to include income even without the reporting form on the return anyway. Though you mentioned it was reported as miscellaneous income; was it on a Schedule C or "other income"? Depending on the reporting of the 1099-MISC you may get dinged for using "other income" if like every drat source I see they just stick the income in box 7 whether or not it was regular enough to constitute business income; IRS figures you should be including it on a Schedule C/paying SE tax on it.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
In September my wife rolled over a standard 401(k) from a previous employer to her Vanguard Roth IRA account. As far as we understood, that would mean that come tax time we’d own taxes on that rolled over amount, which we were/are prepared for.

I handed off my tax documents off to our accountant and today they called back to let me know what I owe, which was considerably less than expected. After discussion we realized the difference was down to the rollover amount. I looked at the 1099-R we received in the mail and noticed it’s noted as (Box 7) Distribution code G rollover, and the taxable amount is listed as blank.

The accountant is saying it’s a mistake in our favor and if they change it, we would not only owe the taxes on it (which we were prepared to owe), but also a 10% penalty for being under age 59.5. I thought that the 10% penalty was only if you took the money directly, or waited more than 60 days after getting the money before moving into another retirement account?

The money was sent as a check to our house (but made out to Vanguard), which we then forwarded to Vanguard a day later. Vanguard deposited the amount into the Roth IRA account and never raised any flags. We never deposited any money from the rollover process to a personal bank account.

I’m trying to figure out what I’m supposed to do here:
1. Do I leave it be based on the accountant’s advice that it’s a mistake in my favor, and I have the form to prove it?
2. Have the accountant change the form somehow to display with a corrected distribution code (which I think would be “2”), and pay the taxes owed?

I’m just trying to do the right thing, and keep the man from kicking down my door / hitting me with potential punitive damages. Hoping I didn’t gently caress something up and cost myself a 10% penalty on top of normal taxes. I’m also surprised how adamant the accountant is that we should leave it be. They really are framing it as profiting off someone else’s mistake or paying a 10% added penalty. I don’t quite understand why there is no middle option between the two. For what it’s worth we’ve used the same guy for three years and he’s never seemed shady with anything in the past. Any thoughts Goons?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Rev posted:

In September my wife rolled over a standard 401(k) from a previous employer to her Vanguard Roth IRA account. As far as we understood, that would mean that come tax time we’d own taxes on that rolled over amount, which we were/are prepared for.

I handed off my tax documents off to our accountant and today they called back to let me know what I owe, which was considerably less than expected. After discussion we realized the difference was down to the rollover amount. I looked at the 1099-R we received in the mail and noticed it’s noted as (Box 7) Distribution code G rollover, and the taxable amount is listed as blank.

The accountant is saying it’s a mistake in our favor and if they change it, we would not only owe the taxes on it (which we were prepared to owe), but also a 10% penalty for being under age 59.5. I thought that the 10% penalty was only if you took the money directly, or waited more than 60 days after getting the money before moving into another retirement account?

The money was sent as a check to our house (but made out to Vanguard), which we then forwarded to Vanguard a day later. Vanguard deposited the amount into the Roth IRA account and never raised any flags. We never deposited any money from the rollover process to a personal bank account.

G is correct. Did Vanguard know that the funds were Traditional and not Roth when you deposited them? The tax should be trivial to calculate - either you owe exactly $0 (trad->trad) or you owe your marginal rate as ordinary income. I think your accountant is loving up here, and that Vanguard didn't know you were doing a Trad->Roth conversion.

I would call Vanguard and ask them about it, first. In theory the tax form comes from them for the conversion to Roth. Then once you know, I would talk to your accountant about it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is the "Taxable Amount Not Determined" box checked?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

G is correct. Did Vanguard know that the funds were Traditional and not Roth when you deposited them? The tax should be trivial to calculate - either you owe exactly $0 (trad->trad) or you owe your marginal rate as ordinary income. I think your accountant is loving up here, and that Vanguard didn't know you were doing a Trad->Roth conversion.

I would call Vanguard and ask them about it, first. In theory the tax form comes from them for the conversion to Roth. Then once you know, I would talk to your accountant about it.

I unfortunately don't remember if the original check explicitly mentioned that the funds were Traditional, though I thought I remembered seeing "401(k)" somewhere on there. I suppose I should have made a copy of what was sent over to Vanguard at the time. That being said the 1099-R I have now is not from Vanguard, it's from the previous employer that that we rolled the money over from. I never received a 1099-R from Vanguard and when I log into my wife's Vanguard Roth IRA account and go into the tax form center, there are no forms available for download. Should I get in contact with Vanguard and ask them to furnish a 1099-R for me/ask where there isn't one present for download currently? I appreciate your time and assistance, H110.

Xenoborg posted:

Is the "Taxable Amount Not Determined" box checked?

No, that box is blank. Essentially the only boxes filled in are 1 (Gross Distribution), 2b (Total Distribution box has an X), 7 (Distribution Code = G), and 13 (state/Payer's State no.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Rev posted:

I unfortunately don't remember if the original check explicitly mentioned that the funds were Traditional, though I thought I remembered seeing "401(k)" somewhere on there. I suppose I should have made a copy of what was sent over to Vanguard at the time. That being said the 1099-R I have now is not from Vanguard, it's from the previous employer that that we rolled the money over from. I never received a 1099-R from Vanguard and when I log into my wife's Vanguard Roth IRA account and go into the tax form center, there are no forms available for download. Should I get in contact with Vanguard and ask them to furnish a 1099-R for me/ask where there isn't one present for download currently? I appreciate your time and assistance, H110.

No, that box is blank. Essentially the only boxes filled in are 1 (Gross Distribution), 2b (Total Distribution box has an X), 7 (Distribution Code = G), and 13 (state/Payer's State no.)

My bet is on Vanguard assuming those were Roth funds that you deposited. You probably clicked right past something telling you about some responsibility something something. Once they know they were pre-tax dollars I imagine they will re-characterize it into Trad and say "that's it, and 2019 is correct", and the tax obligation might move into 2020 depending on exactly what they do and the rules around it. (I have no clue there.)

Doesn't explain why your accountant isn't getting the right number.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I would not work with an accountant who says things like "mistake in your favor." Doing taxes is not Monopoly rules.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

sale on Banksy art posted:

I would not work with an accountant who says things like "mistake in your favor." Doing taxes is not Monopoly rules.

US Income Tax Thread: Bank error in your favor! GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Just double check that the funds went into your Roth. I’ve had multiple clients try to do the same thing as you but that the transfer of the traditional 401k actually went into a traditional IRA, not a Roth. So I’m basically asking “did you try turning off your computer and turning it on again?” but for taxes.

If it went to a Roth the accountant can just recode the 1099-R with “2” instead of “G” and make it taxable. Secondly, it’s not a 10% penalty situation to convert.