Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dexo posted:

Doesn't Crawford do the UA class design stuff. Not Mearls anyway.

Probably not. The stuff is likely written by multiple people. But at least a few of the UA were originally done by Mike Mearls on his terrible Happy Fun Hour thing where he shows how little actual effort/work goes into designing these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Am I reading this right?

The vibe I'm getting from this is that these aren't really meant to be domain-based, but a choice between the two at Level 8. Is there anything that's not UA that codifies this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My reading is that clerical domains are either martial or caster oriented, and which determines which feature you get. So no, you don't choose beyond choosing your domain. Weird that it gets called out like that though.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Personally I’d rename the domain “beauty”, drop suggestion from the spell list in favour of Alter Self, and have infatuation stun rather than force an attack.

I think an even better name would be Adoration, which fits with religious obsession.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone tried bolting the PF2e 3 action turn onto 5e?

That'd be a heck of a bolting. I really like the concept of 3 actions (spellcasting like that is especially neat to me), and all the potential fun things you can do with it, but I'm not sure how to adapt the 5e system to account for 4 attacks as an action vs 1 attack, bonus actions that aren't bonus actions, action count for spells (melee cantrips would be a thing), I'd honestly say it'd be less of a headache to just play Pathfinder 2.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kaysette posted:

i'm gonna make a self-care cleric that focuses on avoiding unnecessary combat, cutting toxic NPCs out of your life, and getting enough sleep.

A cleric of the god/goddess of Treat Yo Self.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
A Love Domain focused around Agape and Fraternity that's about buffs and others ways of improving working together would be pretty great, imho.

The problem is that everything in D&D is coded as a form of conflict, and once you start talking about romantic love in that sort of context, then no matter your approach, the end result is going to be unpleasant.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
D&D is a game that lets you play an Assassin - a professional murderer - as heroic with mechanics (aligment) to codify that.

Its fundamental assumptions wrt stuff like morality are insane and picking a fight over the nature of the Love domain seems to be missing the forest for the trees, but I completely get why it bothers people with trauma. It's equally true that a creepy player who wants to be a rape mage is going to find some way to do it in the existing framework without this domain, and also true that anybody who can't figure out how to play a cleric of a love/fertility god using another domain (Life, for example) isn't very smart and probably isn't being honest about their intentions.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nobody who you will ever play d&d with has met or will ever meet an assassin

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

D&D is a game that lets you play an Assassin - a professional murderer - as heroic with mechanics (aligment) to codify that.

Its fundamental assumptions wrt stuff like morality are insane and picking a fight over the nature of the Love domain seems to be missing the forest for the trees, but I completely get why it bothers people with trauma. It's equally true that a creepy player who wants to be a rape mage is going to find some way to do it in the existing framework without this domain, and also true that anybody who can't figure out how to play a cleric of a love/fertility god using another domain (Life, for example) isn't very smart and probably isn't being honest about their intentions.

This.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Going to take some notes from that Love Domain Cleric to write up a Glorious Godfrey type villain, and his fanatical Justifiers.

A lot of Kirby’s Fourth World stuff would be pretty good for D&D.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Under the "How do you get into 5e" section of the OP, it says to consider getting the D&D 5e "Starter Set", but the list of what the Starter Set includes does not list the Players Handbook, which seems to have more information than just the free Basic Rules (according to the free Basic Rules). Is that correct and you need to get the Player's Handbook separately?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Under the "How do you get into 5e" section of the OP, it says to consider getting the D&D 5e "Starter Set", but the list of what the Starter Set includes does not list the Players Handbook, which seems to have more information than just the free Basic Rules (according to the free Basic Rules). Is that correct and you need to get the Player's Handbook separately?

The Player's Handbook is quite a bit more complete than the Basic Rules, and ultimately you'd want to have access to it. But the basic rules have everything you need to jump into a game, create a basic character, and play with a party. The Starter Set with the Basic Rules is a good place to start so you can have all the things you need to actually play through an adventure. The Player's Handbook is for when you know you want to keep playing and you want to make characters that are more unique, or you want to have a fuller appreciation for how the rules can interact.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kaal posted:

The Player's Handbook is quite a bit more complete than the Basic Rules, and ultimately you'd want to have access to it. But the basic rules have everything you need to jump into a game, create a basic character, and play with a party. The Starter Set with the Basic Rules is a good place to start so you can have all the things you need to actually play through an adventure. The Player's Handbook is for when you know you want to keep playing and you want to make characters that are more unique, or you want to have a fuller appreciation for how the rules can interact.

Okay, fair enough. I was wondering in part because looking at just the basic rules I was a little unclear on some things. Such as your pick some number of skills from your class's possible skills, but is it just once at character creation, or every time you level up you get to put that number of skill points to put into your possible skills? I assume that you get skill points every level-up, but the basic rules don't seem to say.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Okay, fair enough. I was wondering in part because looking at just the basic rules I was a little unclear on some things. Such as your pick some number of skills from your class's possible skills, but is it just once at character creation, or every time you level up you get to put that number of skill points to put into your possible skills? I assume that you get skill points every level-up, but the basic rules don't seem to say.

No, the skills you start with are basically what you get and you don't generally pick new ones, although sometimes your subclass will give you 1 or 2 extra. The bonuses to your skills scale automatically when your proficiency bonus goes up at level 5/9/13/17 and when your ability scores (str/dex/con/int/wis/cha) go up (typically every 4ish levels).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Like Toshimo mentioned, you don't generally get new skills as you level-up. Instead you increase your competence in the skills that you do have, via the slowly increasing Ability Scores and Proficiency Bonus. Leveling up tends to give you specific class abilities, rather than the relatively generic skills. But there's a variety of ways of learning new skills if you want to focus your character in that manner, and that's the kind of information that the PHB is filled with.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kaal posted:

Like Toshimo mentioned, you don't generally get new skills as you level-up. Instead you increase your competence in the skills that you do have, via the slowly increasing Ability Scores and Proficiency Bonus. Leveling up tends to give you specific class abilities, rather than the relatively generic skills. But there's a variety of ways of learning new skills if you want to focus your character in that manner, and that's the kind of information that the PHB is filled with.

It wasn't even so much getting extra skills as that I was unclear about whether you get to increase your competence in each skill as you level up.

One rough idea I had was for a Rogue who was an ex-city guard (ex-policeman essentially) with a focus on Investigation, Perception, Insight (and probably Stealth as the last one because Rogue without Stealth might suck), but the basic rules only go over the Thief archtype.

But I'm thinking Kaal is right and I should stick with much more basic simple character concepts until I decide if I want to go deeper.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

It wasn't even so much getting extra skills as that I was unclear about whether you get to increase your competence in each skill as you level up.

One rough idea I had was for a Rogue who was an ex-city guard (ex-policeman essentially) with a focus on Investigation, Perception, Insight (and probably Stealth as the last one because Rogue without Stealth might suck), but the basic rules only go over the Thief archtype.

But I'm thinking Kaal is right and I should stick with much more basic simple character concepts until I decide if I want to go deeper.

Keep going. When you get to p. 38 of the Basic Rules, they introduce backgrounds, which give you 2 extra skills (so, a rogue starts with 6 total) and some suggested concepts, but they also explain how to customize your own background, so you could just take the Soldier one and say "But he was a cop" and swap the skills for 2 you need and blammo, done.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You have a proficiency bonus, which applies whenever you do class-appropriate things. This includes stuff like attacking with weapons that are appropriate to your class, making spell attacks, and using your skills. The proficiency bonus increases at specified points when you level up, but it's pretty slow; you're definitely not going to be getting better at your class skills (or adding new skills you're proficient in) every level. Every class has a table showing what they get at each levelup; typically a mix of ASIs (Ability Score Increase, which could instead be a feat), new or improved class features like Extra Attack or more spells, and proficiency bonus increases.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'm designing an upgrade to a player's signature magic item.

The item is a big warhammer with an engine in the head, that revs when the hammer hits something real good. Mechanically, when the player rolls 18-20 on the die to hit, the engine revs and they get to choose from 3 effects immediately: Free 10 foot disengage, force the enemy to save vs knockback, or force the enemy to save vs prone. The character is a battlemaster fighter warforged so it all fits pretty well with his maneuvers and has been a big hit for the better part of a year.

Anyways, his dad's gonna take the hammer apart and integrate it with his body to give him a rocketwind fist. The character is taking the new unarmed fighting style stuff from a recent UA and has earned a custom boon that brings his damage die for his fists to parity with a monk.

I think expanding the range to 17-20, as well as the requisite +1 to hit (he's the last one without a +1 weapon in the party) are pretty easy and solid power increases. I also think upgrading his existing options by forcing disadvantage on the save if he has the enemy grappled is a potentially solid choice. I'm toying with the idea of allowing him to "bank" a charge of the effect by choosing to forgo using it in the moment, allowing him to use it at will later (probably goes away on a short/long rest)

I know the player well though, and I think adding a super option that can only be used when he already has a charge banked would really make the item shine. I'm having trouble cracking something that fits "mechanical wind fist used by a big hulking brute" that is cool and reasonably balanced for the cost. AOE knockback/prone in a radius around him? Some kind of massive blow that knockbacks/prones/stuns? Auto-crit? Add a die of force damage to all your hits for x time?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Farg posted:

rocketwind fist

Maybe once you store up a charge, you can release it in the form of a ranged attack? Or something similar to the Eldritch Trickster's mage hand.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Stick the fist in your enemy, engage the rockets on it, knock the enemy 30' back taking other equal-or-smaller-sized units with it and dealing damage to all of them, then the fist returns to the user.

I guess that'd read something like:

quote:

Rocket Punch: When you would normally gain a charge but already have a charge banked, you may choose to instead engage the rockets on your mechanical fist. Choose a line from your PC that passes through the target's square. The target of the attack is forced back along that line 30' or until they hit an obstruction (a wall or a unit of a larger size class). If they pass through the tile(s) of any equal or smaller-sized units, those units are similarly forced back. All units that are forced back take an additional (1dX) damage and are knocked prone. At the end of the attack, your fist returns to you.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I like the idea of some sort of mega knock back or aoe. Maybe I take a cue from anime and just turn it into a hero academia-style 'giant air pressure blast'. 3d10 on everything in a cone, str save or they go prone and get flung back.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Elbow rockets, obviously. Give it the equivalent of Divine Smite.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Stick the fist in your enemy

and cast heat metal

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Go go gadget grapple fist

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Elbow rockets, obviously. Give it the equivalent of Divine Smite.

This was a consideration but I don't wanna step on the paladins toes in terms of design space. That dudes got weird healing smites and aura reactions and stuff from his weapon, I like doubling down on the "maneuvers that force enemies around" aspect of the battlemaster he's playing with his item, basically further develop each characters niche rather then expand it outwards

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Farg posted:

This was a consideration but I don't wanna step on the paladins toes in terms of design space. That dudes got weird healing smites and aura reactions and stuff from his weapon, I like doubling down on the "maneuvers that force enemies around" aspect of the battlemaster he's playing with his item, basically further develop each characters niche rather then expand it outwards

Seems legit. I was just going for the meme Pacific Rim reference tbh.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I want to change characters in my campaign for a bit, and I'd like to try out something *like* the weab idea of a samurai/swordsmaster but the actual samurai class I googled seemed poo poo.

Is there a melee class out there somewhere that:
-Uses a katana.
-Has magic like abilities from the sword?

Something like a Monk (dex based armourless class) that uses a sword and the sword has a little magic to it?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
A katana in 5e is just a longsword, so that's not a problem for most classes. Kensai Monk is probably the closest you'll get to that overall archetype. However, you have some options: an Eldritch Knight skinned that way could also work, as would a Hexadin for gishy goodness with some spells and smiting. A Battle Smith Artificer might work? If you want more spell side stuff, a straight Hexblade, a Bladesinger or a Stone Sorc might work? It all depends on what facets of the weeb samurai swordsman are most important to you.

Edit: to elaborate,

If going completely armorless is important, then Kensai Monk is your go-to. You might could also reskin a Barbarian this way, but honestly most Barbarians are better off wearing medium armor anyways. Stone Sorc has some of the sorts of abilities you're looking for here as well, but the flavor might not fit.

If you're willing to go light armor, the EK works well with a dex based build (reskin a rapier to katana or some such), as would a Bladesinger, but that might be leaning way more into spellcasting than you wanted.

If you're willing to go to medium armor EK still works, while letting you go with a longsword, and this also opens up the Hexblade and Hexadin. Battle Smith also falls into this category.

If having the magic blade stuff is important, the Kensai doesn't offer a lot of that. You might want to try to pick one of the suggestions above that offers the melee cantrips (Warlock/Wizard/Sorc) and/or has access to smite spells (Paladin/Battle Smith/Hexblade). My go-to thought if this is the more important factor would be a Hexadin who wears the lightest armor possible / just wears a haori over his armor so nobody can tell.

vv good call - really any Sorc can gish pretty well that way if you build that way. I'm currently playing a Fighter 1 / Divine Soul Sorc 5 that has the capacity to explode for like 6 attacks a round? if all goes right and I'm willing to burn Sorc points like they're going out of style.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 8, 2020

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want to change characters in my campaign for a bit, and I'd like to try out something *like* the weab idea of a samurai/swordsmaster but the actual samurai class I googled seemed poo poo.

-Uses a katana.

Something like a Monk (dex based armourless class) that uses a sword and the sword has a little magic to it?

Paladin and hexblade can both be magical sword fighters. If you go for a spell heavy build with sorcerer, you'll also have magic to do all the cool weeb swordsman stunts. Most importantly, with sorcerer in the mix, you blow through your sorcery points and spell slots and tell your party, "forgive me sensei, but I must go all out just this once" and drop two Blade cantrips and two big smites in one turn.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Disintegration rays are vexing me right now in planning, because its entirely possible that depending on when the PCs find the threat it's a binary live/die kinda thing even if they make the save and while I wanna kill some characters (and several PCs want PC deaths too) it seems lovely to do that with POOF! You're dead. No rez. Bring out your backup character.

I might just lean into the problem--the campaign is emergently about embracing D&D insanity, however is there a more graceful solution than either dusting a PC or simply swapping out that ray on a beholder?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

In a game that leans into D&D insanity, and if I already wanted a character death, "disintegrated by a beholder" would be perfectly satisfying for me.

But if you don't want to disintegrate them, disintegrate their stuff instead.

Be prepared for them to die mad about it though.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Seems legit. I was just going for the meme Pacific Rim reference tbh.

I got nothing but respect for that.

Anyways the advice was super helpful. I'm probably gonna screw with the balance some more but I got a draft of this monstrosity. Pardon the tiny.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Raenir Salazar posted:

-Uses a katana.

Sounds like a straight hexblade/pact of the blade to me

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Could do a Paladin, and have the smites come from the blade itself.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Disintegration rays are vexing me right now in planning, because its entirely possible that depending on when the PCs find the threat it's a binary live/die kinda thing even if they make the save and while I wanna kill some characters (and several PCs want PC deaths too) it seems lovely to do that with POOF! You're dead. No rez. Bring out your backup character.

I might just lean into the problem--the campaign is emergently about embracing D&D insanity, however is there a more graceful solution than either dusting a PC or simply swapping out that ray on a beholder?

You could have them just lose a limb upon a failed save instead. Its not an instant game-over but its still pretty hardcore if thats what you're going for.

Upon failure, roll a d6. On a 6 they just take damage, a 5 they lose the right arm, a 4 they lose the left arm, a 3 the right leg, 2 the left leg and with a 1 their head gets blown clean off and they die instantly.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If you do that you're either gonna have to write some rules about what it means to be missing a limb, or be ok with "you lost a limb but it doesn't matter".

I mean, either's probably fine, but it's something you want to think about before you do it.

If you're going with the former, bear in mind that makes-sense stuff like "you lost an arm, so obviously you can't dual wield, use a weapon and shield, or use two handed weapons" is mechanically gonna mean nearly nothing to some characters and completely ruin others.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Save or die is deprecated for a reason. Use an alternate version of the spell that just does massive damage, and if that damage causes death, death save or be dust on the wind. Make them burn off hp first, anything else is cheap as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yep, SoD sucks, don't do it.

Once again, gently caress with their stuff.

Disintegrate someone's backpack.

Disintegrate some potions or a scroll.

Disintegrate someone's magic sword and watch what the gently caress happens. I promise that this will be more memorable than "I died".

But take and give. If you disintegrate something irreplacable, make sure you're replacing it. Being without your badass magic sword for 4 rounds is tense. Use the "My cool stuff is gone" feeling to set things up to be extra exciting when they get cooler stuff.