Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Should be fine overnight. And for recipe, fish and chips?

Sadly I am nominally on a diet that doesn't include fried fish and chips, but that's a great idea I will save for later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Special chili. Was wondering if like thai peppers or something would also be good as a generic 'red pepper' or should stick with arbol.
Thai peppers are fine. Basically anything is fine if you like the taste.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I got a big bag of individually frozen, vacuum packed cod fillets at Costco and then forgot about them when I got home for a few hours. 2 were frozen enough that I tossed them in the freezer, 2 completely thawed (cooking them tonight with this lovely recipe from Doom Rooster) and then I have 2 semi-frozen ones left. Will they keep okay in the fridge overnight and does anyone have any favorite easy cod recipes?

Glad you enjoyed it enough to make it again!

If you've got a well stocked Indian section of your pantry, I could toss you the draft version of my next fish recipe. It's a modified version of the recipe our hotel chef gave my wife and I on our honeymoon in Kerala. Basically a coconut fish curry. Really fast and easy as long as you have the ingredients. Haven't finalized the macros and portioning, but should be close if you're interested.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I got a big bag of individually frozen, vacuum packed cod fillets at Costco and then forgot about them when I got home for a few hours. 2 were frozen enough that I tossed them in the freezer, 2 completely thawed (cooking them tonight with this lovely recipe from Doom Rooster) and then I have 2 semi-frozen ones left. Will they keep okay in the fridge overnight and does anyone have any favorite easy cod recipes?

Steamed and finished with hot oil Chinese style

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah, that seems about right. you might be able to cut back your time on the first smoke, i think the meat only absorbs smoke for the first 3-4 hours (iirc?). and you may not need a full 6 hours in the foil either.

Ok. The brisket is s in n the fridge with a coating of dry rub. The adobo sauce is in a container. Tomorrow we smoke!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Steamed and finished with hot oil Chinese style

I am unfamiliar with this style. Go on?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I am unfamiliar with this style. Go on?

This is a pretty good recipe.

Steam a fillet or whole fish, heat ginger, scallion, garlic, chili etc in a neutral oil then pour over the fish right at the end to get it all sizzling and aromatic.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Steam a fillet or whole fish, heat ginger, scallion, garlic, chili etc in a neutral oil then pour over the fish right at the end to get it all sizzling and aromatic.

Mmmm, that is a good recipe, thanks. I can think of a variety of fish that would work.

I'm pretty sure I've had that exact dish as part of the 13 course wedding feast. I've also ordered something similar at a place in China Town, except that they called it "White Fish with ginger and scallion", or something like that.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
So I've collected all the bones from chicken thighs into a crockpot on low about a week ago, and I just add water about every 12 hours. The broth itself is very delicious after it is put into a pot on the stove with added ginger garlic and cumin. I put a little halfnhalf, mustard and splenda in it too (and boil vegetables in it). But what I'm getting at is, I mashed all the chicken bones up and they fell apart like a bony roast. They don't taste bad, kind of gritty. Is it safe for me to eat ground up chicken bones in my soup?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what the gently caress

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume this is a fake post, but if not, don't do that.

In the words of the late, great, French chef Auguste Escoffier: "What the gently caress is wrong with you, dude"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

excellent bird guy posted:

I bet the room mate that lives down stairs hates the smell of my crockpot. I keep all my chicken bones in there, keeping it on low. But i smell his weed smoke so it should be fair game.
Other than that, I'm really impressed with the combo of powder ginger + powder cumin + powder garlic. I'd like to get tumeric but i'm afraid of staining the countertops yellow.

So I've collected all the bones from chicken thighs into a crockpot on low about a week ago, and I just add water about every 12 hours. The broth itself is very delicious after it is put into a pot on the stove with added ginger garlic and cumin. I put a little halfnhalf, mustard and splenda in it too (and boil vegetables in it). But what I'm getting at is, I mashed all the chicken bones up and they fell apart like a bony roast. They don't taste bad, kind of gritty. Is it safe for me to eat ground up chicken bones in my soup?

If skunky weed is driving people to make fermented bone slurry, then perhaps we were right to make weed illegal

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Strange question, but has anyone here had a jar of Vegemite crystallize on top? And if it does, can I still use it?

I may have overbought last time, and my last big jar has a fine sprinkling of sparkly crystals on the surface of the spread. They are definitely crystals, not mold. Quite pretty really, but I've never seen this before and I will be bereft/miffed if I have to discard a 455 g jar :(

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

TofuDiva posted:

Strange question, but has anyone here had a jar of Vegemite crystallize on top? And if it does, can I still use it?

I may have overbought last time, and my last big jar has a fine sprinkling of sparkly crystals on the surface of the spread. They are definitely crystals, not mold. Quite pretty really, but I've never seen this before and I will be bereft/miffed if I have to discard a 455 g jar :(

http://benstarr.com/blog/the-truth-about-vegemite-from-an-american-foodie/
This suggests you're looking at crystalline MSG, which means it probably should be stirred back in.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bluedeanie posted:

If skunky weed is driving people to make fermented bone slurry, then perhaps we were right to make weed illegal

I think it's up to temperature, so should not be fermented? I'm going to strain the broth today and put it in a mason jar. The crushed up bones are fine but I don't want to eat them. In the future, I'll want a free-range chicken. I don't have a problem eating very soft chicken bones but it's kind of weird.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cooked bone-meal can be used to make dog treats

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

poeticoddity posted:

http://benstarr.com/blog/the-truth-about-vegemite-from-an-american-foodie/
This suggests you're looking at crystalline MSG, which means it probably should be stirred back in.

Ok that's fascinating! I had tasted it when I first saw it (I know, I know), and knew that it wasn't just salt which had been my first guess. I've just never seen it crystallize out like that, but it makes sense. Back into the spread it goes.

Ben Starr's blog looks like a fun read, too. Thank you!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, mold ain't gonna grow in Vegemite. Or if it did, it would be so powerful that it would have murdered you in your sleep and stolen your car by now.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

I think it's up to temperature, so should not be fermented? I'm going to strain the broth today and put it in a mason jar. The crushed up bones are fine but I don't want to eat them. In the future, I'll want a free-range chicken. I don't have a problem eating very soft chicken bones but it's kind of weird.

We really, really need to know how long these bones were in the cooker for. For science.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
7 days. I think at 5 days I mashed the bones up with a spatula. I heard the longer the chicken broth cooks the better it tastes. I'm going to strain it soon and make noodle soup.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

7 days. I think at 5 days I mashed the bones up with a spatula. I heard the longer the chicken broth cooks the better it tastes. I'm going to strain it soon and make noodle soup.

No

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Why not. I'm going to buy pig feet next and start some piggy jelly soup. I'm serious!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:smith:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

cooked bone-meal can be used to make dog treats

Wait I thought cooked bones were bad for dogs (because they like spintered or something like that).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How is Two Buck Chuck possible in the year 2020

Edit: thinner glass, cheaper corks and only in California

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Casu Marzu posted:

Thanks for this-it was really incredibly delicious and easy!

Made an Asian-ish dressing for slaw, but really had enough juice from the fish left I could have just dressed it with that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks for this-it was really incredibly delicious and easy!

Made an Asian-ish dressing for slaw, but really had enough juice from the fish left I could have just dressed it with that.

heck yeah that looks great

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Why not. I'm going to buy pig feet next and start some piggy jelly soup. I'm serious!

worse than nooner posts

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Maybe this is obvious and everyone else gets it but aren't you just supposed to cook the marrow out of the bones and then toss them? And it doesn't take a week?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Excellent bird guy is obviously recreating historical cooking methods by making their own pottage, let’s not deny them their dream of role playing as a medieval peasant, diseases and all.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Eeyo posted:

Wait I thought cooked bones were bad for dogs (because they like spintered or something like that).
If they are mush they can't splinter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

$2.99 across the border here in Nevada still. And with less local tax. Really one of the cheapest ways to get crunk.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Helith posted:

Excellent bird guy is obviously recreating historical cooking methods by making their own pottage, let’s not deny them their dream of role playing as a medieval peasant, diseases and all.

Thank you, yes it does feel on the hillbilly side. Regardless, i strained just with a slotted spoon, so it's still got tiny bits and pieces of bones/meats. Put it on a countertop cast iron pot with plenty of seasoning. Chopped up onions carrots and celery. At first it tasted kind of bitter, but while I let it simmer I'll see what happens.
I call this Monstro Soup (smrpg) because in my fanfiction Jynx gives makes this soup for his students to give them incredible health and speed.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

$2.99 across the border here in Nevada still. And with less local tax. Really one of the cheapest ways to get crunk.

bless the chuck

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
it was bitter, then i added a little Frank's Red Hot, more mustard, and a few packages of splenda and now we are are on the right track. very excited for the fresh batch of monstro soup

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

it was bitter, then i added a little Frank's Red Hot, more mustard, and a few packages of splenda and now we are are on the right track. very excited for the fresh batch of monstro soup

low effort

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh ok. Splenda makes it okay.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Chard posted:

low effort

Mustard used in a lot of Indian preparations, it is a secret ingredient. Gives it a smokey flavor. Frank's Red Hot I think is tomato based, so that adds a needed acidic substance to make less the bitter. Splenda is just the only sweetener I have. Would REALLY like to get ahold of some lemongrass and dry herbal stevia.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey how do you guys rate two buck chuck. I need to fill a wine fountain for an Oscar party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Steve Yun posted:

That 2 buck chuck is Trader Joe's brand. My closest store is SLC, might head that way this week , bring my pickup truck to buy what I can fit and thus then therfore have A LOT of WINE in my pantry ftw.