Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

if there are magic fascists logically there should be magic commies doing all the heavy lifting against fash that the magic libs (already met) should be crying about.

why the gently caress do you have capitalism when you can magic yourself a house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Magical
Mr
Mistofelees

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

PetraCore posted:

I'm happy to comply if someone lgbt+ asks me not to refer to them as queer, and will try to minimize my use of the word around them, but I am not willing to stop identifying as queer.

That's the thing, this is about someone referring to themselves as queer. When I used to read Tumblr, there'd be (probably still are) these arguments where someone would write a post where they mention in passing that they're queer, and someone who wasn't even following them would butt in with "don't call me q*eer, it's a slur, many people are traumatised by that word", even though they could download Tumblr Saviour to block the word instead of going and searching for it just to get angry that people are using it without replacing the u with an asterisk (so you still get to use it while pretending you didn't). These same people tended to mock the mentally ill, tell people to kill themselves, send anonymous abusive messages etc, so they probably weren't all that concerned with protecting vulnerable people. I don't read Tumblr any more.

Oh and there's quite a lot of overlap between the TERFs, the people who say you can't call yourself queer and the people who hate asexuals. And, as I say, none of them are particularly accepting of the mentally ill. Or autistic people.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

T-man posted:

if there are magic fascists logically there should be magic commies doing all the heavy lifting against fash that the magic libs (already met) should be crying about.

This is the worst offbrand show of Magic Mike.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jollity Farm posted:

That's the thing, this is about someone referring to themselves as queer. When I used to read Tumblr, there'd be (probably still are) these arguments where someone would write a post where they mention in passing that they're queer, and someone who wasn't even following them would butt in with "don't call me q*eer, it's a slur, many people are traumatised by that word", even though they could download Tumblr Saviour to block the word instead of going and searching for it just to get angry that people are using it without replacing the u with an asterisk (so you still get to use it while pretending you didn't). These same people tended to mock the mentally ill, tell people to kill themselves, send anonymous abusive messages etc, so they probably weren't all that concerned with protecting vulnerable people. I don't read Tumblr any more.

Oh and there's quite a lot of overlap between the TERFs, the people who say you can't call yourself queer and the people who hate asexuals. And, as I say, none of them are particularly accepting of the mentally ill. Or autistic people.

prick a bigot the fascist bleeds

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

People hate asexuals? What is there to hate except the stupid omics?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Amoeba102 posted:

I remember reading stuff - on this very website, no less! - about how asexuals are just repressed trendy teens trying to coopt the LGBT struggle.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pththya-lyi posted:

I remember reading stuff - on this very website, no less! - about how asexuals are just repressed trendy teens trying to coopt the LGBT struggle.

I've seen fights in queer Facebook groups with hundreds of replies about it. Some people then went and made an identical group with the disclaimer they were proud to exclude "fake identities".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My only problem with asexuals is that I wish I could just not have sexual thoughts or motivations for like, even just a goddamn day

So basically envy

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Brawnfire posted:

Think about it, you're introduced to the toilet in a school filled with culturally-supported race-hate, what's next?

True, I guess the only impediment would be the line of kids waiting to give/receive swirlies

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I still don't know quite how to think about all this. It's kinda undeniable that asexuals face real problems, and they're problems that should be acknowledged and work towards solving.

Are they the same problems as the 'classic' lineup of LGBT? Well... no. And saying they're the same does both sides a disservice, muddying the waters of both the usual LGBT problems and asexual problems. But the same argument could be levelled against trans people, and the only people that do such a thing there are terrible people. Are they comparable, though, I'm still not completely sure.

Sure, some people are annoying and wrong about asexuality. But every group has annoying and wrong people in it, if I drew the line based on THAT then no group would be legitimate, ever.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah that's true, they only used the toilets for swirlies

Well that eliminates the waiting in line issue since its all swirlies all the time.

Magic atomic wedges would suck, speaking of middle school hazing

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/degendering/status/1225551116101918720

Social media as the idiot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/deadmeatjames/status/1225549832586178561?s=21

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Gender phrenology is a new direction for lovely cyberpunk dystopia poo poo.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Some people who don't experience sexual desire want medical or therapeutic treatment for that, and others find this experience to be core to their identity.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Jollity Farm posted:

Oh, I know. I once saw a post where someone claimed in all apparent seriousness that only lesbians were allowed to type or say the title Dykes To Watch Out For, despite dyke in that context being a reclaimed self-identification by Bechdel and a reference to a specific lesbian subculture.

Like most things, context matters. Someone slinging around dyke as an insult or pushing that on someone who rejects the label is is wrong, but insisting on censoring people's own self-identifications and reclaimations is absurd and offensive, and usually pushed either by people legitimately triggered by certain terms but overstepping boundaries or bigots who want to shove minorities into :decorum: boxes and then shove the box into a river.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
"a 3D selfie that performs a quick study of the person's bone structure to determine the female gender."

There are so many things wrong with that sentence, I don't even know where to begin.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

People about to find out real fast that women and girls can also be super toxic especially when pushing the idea that they're totally safe, we're all women here!

Also gagging at the cutesy name and soft pink. I don't even hate pink! I just hate it in this context!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It's science, just like archeologists do! Sciiiience. Does your pink woman brain understand science? Giggle!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

From the FAQ page

Are trans-girls welcome on giggle?

Of course! giggle is for all girls! Due to the gender-verification software that giggle uses, trans-girls will experience trouble with being verified. It’s simply a matter of two technologies not working together. giggle HQ will gladly assist with the on-boarding process in an equally fun and modern way. If you’re having trouble being verified, please contact us here so we can help get you giggling!

There is also a celebrity contact hotline in case you want to get in on this action. What there isn't, that I went looking for specifically, is any mention of the dev team being women.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

fun and modern

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Two technologies not working together..?

Is "being trans" technology? Cool!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1225482889216823305?s=20

This is only 2 hours old (pinned), but god it could be from any point in the last few years and you'd still be wondering which of the many stupid and awful things he's said has led to this.

You can't even compile a list of "gender critical therapists" any more without being accused of supporting conversion therapy by the politically correct woke SJW stasirati.

Seriously, he's suing Pink News for that.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So do you have to bone in every time, or can I just point my phone at a girl the first time then get to creepin'?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Inceltown posted:

There is also a celebrity contact hotline in case you want to get in on this action. What there isn't, that I went looking for specifically, is any mention of the dev team being women.

I did some 5-second lazy digging on LinkedIn and found two employees, both male, one of whom refers to himself as "Giggle Dad."

So yeah.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Knormal posted:

So do you have to bone in every time, or can I just point my phone at a girl the first time then get to creepin'?

This is why you keep a skull handy

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

hyperhazard posted:

"Giggle Dad."
Is there a giant barf smiley puking smaller barf smileys like the giant eye roll puking smaller eye rolls because :barf:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hyperhazard posted:

I did some 5-second lazy digging on LinkedIn and found two employees, both male, one of whom refers to himself as "Giggle Dad."

So yeah.

lmao

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Amoeba102 posted:

According to some random person, from the lgbtq+ community, asexuals are not opressed enough, so we are not valid. Being raped, coersed to unwanted sex, and so on, isn't enough.

Also some people hate that we aren't sexually active for some reason :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Iowa thing is finished butt has been declared the victor and none of the errors fixed

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

Well, I don't think she saw that source because it contradicts her idea.

But also how did no one on her committee find this error? Ugh.

Or - again - the fact checker at her publisher?

This certainly isn't the error of just a "stupid woman." :rollseyes:

I mean, yeah, it's bigger than her being stupid, but she is also stupid. Like, I was reading her wiki page and every one of her works has people complaining about poor sourcing and/or understanding of her sources, all the way back to The Beauty Myth.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

A psych here in Australia has been struck off the register for being a Q nutter. He's not taking it well at all.

https://twitter.com/KillAuDeepState/status/1225589372839325696

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inceltown posted:

A psych here in Australia has been struck off the register for being a Q nutter. He's not taking it well at all.

https://twitter.com/KillAuDeepState/status/1225589372839325696

Having a perfectly normal one

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Mr.Radar posted:

I don't think so. I think the older ones are just broke-brained from losing against Reagan twice (and HW once) and the younger ones are just plain true believers that neoliberalism is the only possible politicial-economic system.

They're old and busted and need to get out of politics, but i can be sympathetic to people who watched '80 and '84 and just decided to go from "how does the left win?" to "what are the terms of our surrender?"

Reagan ran on a platform of:

1) openly, proudly loving the poor for the benefit of the rich

2) racism

And won by 10 points and 480 electoral college votes. Then 4 years later he won by 18 points and 525 electoral college votes.

If Trump wins this year by 20 points (obviously not gonna happen) i bet a whole shitload of modern leftists would write off the future too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The president you don’t want is always the worst president ever

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Some screenshots for the inevitable deletion/account protected/account deleted:

https://i.imgur.com/iOmIgmD.png (potentially :nws: due to literal n-word)

LOL, literally just protected.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some screenshots for the inevitable deletion/account protected/account deleted:

https://i.imgur.com/iOmIgmD.png (potentially :nws: due to literal n-word)

LOL, literally just protected.

After they like quintupled down I figured we were in the clear. Thank you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

After they like quintupled down I figured we were in the clear. Thank you

(A)lways (B)e s(C)reencapping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, yeah, it's bigger than her being stupid, but she is also stupid. Like, I was reading her wiki page and every one of her works has people complaining about poor sourcing and/or understanding of her sources, all the way back to The Beauty Myth.

I agree. I'm complaining about the weird characterization in the thread.