Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Katty! posted:

one thing that tipped me off to the twist (aside from the first trailer) was that MGS4 Big Boss didn't have the horn and since it couldn't be safely removed the only alternative was that he sandpapered his own forehead at some point. don't remember seeing that option in the survival viewer

I had to read this post twice because I was genuinely like "why is that weird, he doesn't get the horn because his dick and balls were blown off in a nuclear weapons test"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Re VA chat I just replayed MGS1 and Hayter was great in that. Combination of him not having yet made Snake's voice too unnatural and the translator for the game doing a better job than later ones at rendering as much of the dialogue as possible in conversational English. Maybe better direction too, although that's hard to tell.

Also for MGS V voice, I was indifferent on Sutherland, but Skullface's VA had a cool voice even if his lines were silly. Ocelot's VA nailed everything and was the standout.

Kaz is mostly okay but not great except for the burger tapes where he's loving great.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 7, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neurosis posted:

Re VA chat I just replayed MGS1 and Hayter was great in that. Combination of him not having yet made Snake's voice too unnatural and the translator for the game doing a better job than later ones at rendering as much of the dialogue as possible in conversational English. Maybe better direction too, although that's hard to tell.

https://youtu.be/wriaT32v2T0?t=422

Otacon:
Snake!! What was she fighting for!? What am I fighting for!? What are you fighting for!?

Solid Snake:
If we make it through this I'll tell you.

I love Kojima's bloated writing but this line really sticks out for how simple and actually subtle it is. Wolf's death is one of the most memorable parts of MGS1 for many and I attribute that largely to the music. But this line is the true genius of the scene in my older, sorta wiser opinion.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Neurosis posted:

Skullface's VA had a cool voice even if his lines were silly.

He's weirdly great, but always bugs me for sounding so familiar...but I've looked him up and it's just an endless string of side character voices, the ones that look like main characters are generally stuff I haven't seen or played.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Skullface would have been a much better villain with more cutscene monoglues and no stupid mask.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Skullface would have been a much better villain with more cutscene monoglues and no stupid mask.

Honestly what I really want is an entire cutscene monologue explaining the mask, about how it defines us, how it symbolizes that we don't truly know one another deep down, while Snake just sits there being like "wait, who's this guy again?"

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 8, 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i finally beat Revolver Ocelot after like 10 tries and when I came back to my PS classic mini it didn't save the game so I have to beat him again :(

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
If you hold down square (the button to fire your gun?) while holding down X and moving, you can run while firing your gun. It's a weird mechanic that you never really use but you can just toast Ocelot with it.

EDIT: the motion is like, hold down square to raise the gun, slide your thumb to hold down X while moving, then use your thumb to tap square to shoot while running. It's awkward.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

it is literally One Weird Trick that takes Ocelot from being weirdly hard to actually easy

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just saw this on Twitter and thought it was cool as gently caress

https://twitter.com/BipedalBastard/status/1219467682149363713?s=20

https://twitter.com/BipedalBastard/status/1227905448780525568?s=20

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Snake and Gray Fox doing the buddy handshake from MGS2, nice.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

That's fantastic. Thanks for posting it!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Happy Shadow Moses Incident day!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Happy Shadow Moses Incident day!

That's pretty nea-hey, wait a minute!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Let's be real, redefining the calendar would be one of the more minor violations of sanity Kojima has committed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"It's Skull Face, Boss -- he's redefined the calendar so it'll never get to your birthday!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zereth posted:

There are several of them that are clearly edited like they were actual cutscenes you were watching instead of tapes you're listening to, down to not including the tape hiss effects or anything.

Glad that we at least got the audio instead of them being turned into emails or something

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSK9l8Pt0fE
After some additional playtime, I've now decided All the Sun Touches is the best song for the chopper to blare. It usually times really well to kick in to the upbeat part just as it arrives, spreading joy alongside the rockets or whatever else you're sending in.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1234537905441382402?s=21

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I actually had my dad help me with that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Been replaying TPP and had planned to switch out my helicopter theme song every few missions. But the first song I put on it was Black Betty and it's so good I can't bring myself to ever change it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I bought the steam version but have held off on playing it since I'm about to do a computer upgrade. Looking forward to the song customization allowing the Police Squad! theme to herald Boss's arrival on station.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was also looking at this book The Kojima Code, which is a biography and game-by-game analysis of Kojima's games.

It's gotten good reviews, but then I saw in Twitter that the author is an insane Alex Jones fan who's busy tweeting about coronavirus being an engineered bioweapon and stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/meta_gear/status/1235815389419823104?s=20

so I won't be buying his book.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The one InfoWars viewer who doesn't want to see the fish-human hybrids they have in Area 51? :haw:

Actually, I'm not sure where these hybrids are. I think Alex Jones has been saying they're stores in England but I'm not sure. He was going on about these hybrids before and during the 2016 election, so he may have altered details since then.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LashLightning posted:

The one InfoWars viewer who doesn't want to see the fish-human hybrids they have in Area 51? :haw:

Actually, I'm not sure where these hybrids are. I think Alex Jones has been saying they're stores in England but I'm not sure. He was going on about these hybrids before and during the 2016 election, so he may have altered details since then.

Heavy metal (gear) poisoning.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Necrothatcher posted:

Heavy metal (gear) poisoning.

I could see a MG baddie being named Doctor Righteous. Would have fit right in to Peace Walker.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Necrothatcher posted:

Been replaying TPP and had planned to switch out my helicopter theme song every few missions. But the first song I put on it was Black Betty and it's so good I can't bring myself to ever change it.

Use Audacity to break up the song into 30-ish second parts. Then use the randomizer that I'm going to have to look for now

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I was also looking at this book The Kojima Code, which is a biography and game-by-game analysis of Kojima's games.

It's gotten good reviews, but then I saw in Twitter that the author is an insane Alex Jones fan who's busy tweeting about coronavirus being an engineered bioweapon and stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/meta_gear/status/1235815389419823104?s=20

so I won't be buying his book.

It only covers the era 1987-2003 even though it was published in 2017.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Are there any good books or longread articles about the series? Anything academic or journalistic would be appreciated!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It doesn't cover the full series but I will always rep the Deltahead essays on MGS2 and MGS4

http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/

http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS4/index.htm

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pretty sure the kotaku guy made his name on taking this series very seriously

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is very random but was watching a MGS1 LP the other day and also discussing Jurassic Park.

I've always felt that Kojima is the Michael Crichton of video game writers. They research the hell out of a topic then craft a story around their lectures about what they learned. And they will tell you about everything they learned, even if it's barely relevant. Half the stuff in Crichton books and Kojima games are just random trivia it feels like. The other half is monologues about some theme they are interested in because it's new and scary at the time.

Inspired by this line from Otacon -
Otacon: You're right. We have to take responsibility. Science has always thrived on war. The greatest weapons of mass destruction were created by scientists who wanted to be famous.

It's very similar to a lot of the speeches made by a high, dying Ian Malcolm in the JP novel. I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima, the consummate Ameriboo, at least watched most of Crichton's movies or read some of his books.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 14, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's interesting, yeah I can see that now that you mention it. It feels like a strength and weakness on both their parts, you can appreciate the interest and work they put in, but also occasionally just want them to dial back a bit. It's distinctive though.
Also I'm sad now that Boss can't bring some dinos to his tropical wildlife sanctuary :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I tried some Calorie Mate when I was in Japan a few weeks ago. It’s not bad; really dry but even the plain one I had was a pleasant flavor and texture. The square packet isn’t a giant square biscuit, it’s multiple smaller ones. Check them out if you get a chance, if I had a reliable supply they’d probably become my hypoglycemia recovery food of choice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really enjoy the chocolate ones. I try to get them whenever I see them for sale in markets.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Wait, calorie mates actually exist?! I thought it was just a made-up thing for MGS3, as a generic name for a healthy packaged meal, or something. :aaa: drat, I owe it to myself to try it out, now...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, calorie mates actually exist?! I thought it was just a made-up thing for MGS3, as a generic name for a healthy packaged meal, or something. :aaa: drat, I owe it to myself to try it out, now...

Keep an eye out for it if you're in any larger Asian supermarket. It's good!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PlayStation is reportedly looking to buy the Metal Gear and Silent Hill licenses from Konami
Just rumors/leaks, but on the other hand it'd be a move I could easily see from Sony. Just imagining a game that builds on the refined play of MGSV but the story and design don't just kinda poop out 2/3 through.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd be super down with this. At this point I already associate all three of those brands with Playstation. The people working there seem to actually care about a final product being good. I'd support either Sony getting them, or Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

As long as it's still going to see a PC release for future titles