Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i disagree but whatever
so this ^ is likely patriot front since flash mobs are their whole thing. materialize on the national mall and then march around and do a flash mob demo while screaming spooky nazi poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol he didn't "hit rock bottom." he got arrested and expelled for being an insane, drunk piece of poo poo. he's not sleeping outside and he's not missing any meals. letting everybody know what you actually think about oppressed people isn't "hitting rock bottom"

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Get him to AA, fix him up and then you can guillotine him without feeling bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's literally no definition for hitting rock bottom, which is why it's stupid. After you're dead, and only after you're dead, we can identify whatever we deem the lowest point in your life and say that that's when you hit rock bottom.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Halloween Jack posted:

There's literally no definition for hitting rock bottom, which is why it's stupid. After you're dead, and only after you're dead, we can identify whatever we deem the lowest point in your life and say that that's when you hit rock bottom.

I'm not sure if you've ever had any experiences with addiction and recovery, but in my own experiences, and in the stories or accounts I've read of others', there is for many people a time where you come to understand that you need to make serious changes in your life and start to act to improve yourself. It's a common experience, and it's usually what people refer to as "rock bottom." It may not have a clinical definition, but that's what people mean when they say it.

Only this kid knows whether this is his turning point.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Halser posted:

Get him to AA, fix him up and then you can guillotine him without feeling bad
thesis, antithesis, synthesis

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure if you've ever had any experiences with addiction and recovery, but in my own experiences, and in the stories or accounts I've read of others', there is for many people a time where you come to understand that you need to make serious changes in your life and start to act to improve yourself. It's a common experience, and it's usually what people refer to as "rock bottom." It may not have a clinical definition, but that's what people mean when they say it.

yeah it saved my friend's life and he wasn't out on the street, at least not yet. but i'm done arguing about it

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AA is really lovely and ineffective when its court mandated and invididual groups can be bad or great. but for people wanting to quit drinking of their own volition its an accessible place to meet people who are sober and interested in doing sober activities

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CommonShore posted:

I'll just say this and then not derail further: AA works for some people, and that's great. Mostly what they get out of it is group therapy, and group therapy works for a lot of people with various problems.

But AA isn't scientific. It's based on a guy claiming he had a vision of Jesus Christ back in the 30s. Despite this, a great deal of (often legally mandated) substance abuse treatment is based on AA. You could also carefully scrub the religious language from alchemy and then tell addicts that they need to complete the Great Work in order to get well.

The language of "rock bottom" is particularly dangerous because they really tell people that you should abandon addicts until they "hit rock bottom" and that trying to help them is actually enabling them. People have died because of this. It's complete and utter bullshit, but it makes for entertaining television. Only in America!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

thesis, antithesis, synthesis

yeah it saved my friend's life and he wasn't out on the street, at least not yet. but i'm done arguing about it

Bingo. I'm just here to give you backup.

I absolutely wasn't on the streets, but I can put my finger on the exact time that I realized that substance use was making my life worse by every measure. It was a bad night for me, but there's nothing really to summarize. I don't think of it necessarily as "rock bottom" but if I were asked to share my story of recovery and sobriety (holy poo poo this past fall was 10 years sober!) including a "rock bottom," it's what I'd share.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

whether or not a given moment is "rock bottom" is much less about the actual material conditions of your life and much more about whether you finally decided, internally, to change. that decision can be affected by internal factors (how does this moment compare to the rest of your life so far) as well as external factors (is my shithead dad giving me plenty of room to feel like I'm the aggrieved party). I have never been to AA, this is just my experience of how people deal/don't deal with their problems.

I don't have a lot of hope that this specific fuckboy will recover, but I didn't have a lot of hope Biden would tank in Iowa, either

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Bingo. I'm just here to give you backup.

I absolutely wasn't on the streets, but I can put my finger on the exact time that I realized that substance use was making my life worse by every measure. It was a bad night for me, but there's nothing really to summarize. I don't think of it necessarily as "rock bottom" but if I were asked to share my story of recovery and sobriety (holy poo poo this past fall was 10 years sober!) including a "rock bottom," it's what I'd share.

congratulations on 10 years, that's awesome!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

cumshitter posted:

AA is really lovely and ineffective when its court mandated and invididual groups can be bad or great. but for people wanting to quit drinking of their own volition its an accessible place to meet people who are sober and interested in doing sober activities

TBF that goes for any mental health treatment except emergency/hospitalization/etc for someone clearly unstable... "getting help" is a waste of time if the person in question doesn't want to be helped and/or doesn't consider substance abuse a problem in their life. For someone in that situation they either want to change, or they don't. There may be some motivation if society says they have to change or else, but if the threat of punishment was all it took to change people's behavior then crime wouldn't happen.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
There are plenty of alcoholics who have hit rock bottom without being a homophobic racist piece of poo poo. The only difference that dude's water bottle of 151 made was in making him a drunk homophobic racist piece of poo poo instead of a sober homophobic racist piece of poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I smoked a ridiculous amount of weed for like 10 years and then one time my wife got mad at a local dispensary for selling us the wrong kind and not being able to take it back and we took a break and the break turned into quitting lol. It's been like 3 years now.

I quit smoking cigs in a similar way. Both times I think my secret weapon was not actually talking about how I was quitting unless it was super necessary and just letting it happen.

Alcohol is much worse than either of those though so ymmv

Intel&Sebastian has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Feb 7, 2020

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i've never had a substance abuse problem and i wouldn't attempt to draw a direct comparison; but i've had a couple of times in my life where i've fallen into bad habits due to circumstances combined with mental health issues. and i knew they were bad in an abstract sense and needed to stop, but i wasn't stopping. but at a certain point i tend to have a moment of clarity that is usually prompted by having a particularly lovely time of it. and at that point i simply correct the problem with no trouble.

if it works anything like that for addiction then i imagine that going to AA (or any other program) of your own accord would have a much greater success rate than going because you've been ordered by a court.

the "rock bottom" talk seems like it would be counterproductive in this context if directed at the person with the addiction. it's indirectly telling them not to even try to change until things get completely hosed up. i think gentle nudges from loved ones can definitely hasten the onset of that moment of clarity, and are helpful if you can do it without making the person defensive.

i suppose the notion of "rock bottom" might be helpful to the loved ones, in the sense that they recognize that they cannot will the other person into recovery; it has to come from within. support (that is non-enabling) and gentle nudges, may be the best you can do.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/scottkernest/status/1225575166618619914

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/vadimnewquist/status/1225144696177070083

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I am completely unsurprised at how much of this thread listens to Citations Needed.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
It's the best.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

CommonShore posted:

(holy poo poo this past fall was 10 years sober!)
:drat: Congratulations, comrade!

"They keep killing our precious white men! This is unacceptable! :bahgawd:

Kreg
Sep 2, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

:drat: Congratulations, comrade!

https://twitter.com/scottkernest/status/1225575166618619914

"They keep killing our precious white men! This is unacceptable! :bahgawd:

Watch this get used to go after BLM

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Kreg posted:

Literally what I was thinking when I posted. :barf:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes i wonder what alcohol tastes like but it just doesnt seem like it would be any fun. i keep going to the grocery store and intending to buy beer but the smallest units they sell are those tall cans of bud light and that just looks like too much to me

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait a minute, didn't you post about your drunken adventures in finance? :thunk:

And yes, that is entirely too much Bud Light, while at the same time not nearly enough alcohol.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kreg posted:

We have dedicated all available resources to apprehending the vigilante known as Antifa.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cumshitter posted:

sometimes i wonder what alcohol tastes like but it just doesnt seem like it would be any fun. i keep going to the grocery store and intending to buy beer but the smallest units they sell are those tall cans of bud light and that just looks like too much to me

If you've never had alcohol before, it won't taste good unless you go for something like vodka and juice/soft drink, in which case you might as well just drink juice. Unless you want to get drunk specifically.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

yeah that dude sucks rear end but watching him being hauled out by three police with his hands and feet shackled and bag over his head is chilling

nothing new obviously given the way police would deal with anyone who wasn't white but christ

It’s pretty cool seeing a fascist get black-bagged for once. If he was black, he’d be dead.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Rather get killed immediately than blackbagged, tbph.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Every night and every morning I drive to the gas station and buy two 40s. None of them are for me :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you've never had alcohol before, it won't taste good unless you go for something like vodka and juice/soft drink, in which case you might as well just drink juice. Unless you want to get drunk specifically.

:golfclap:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1225633733430083584

^^ something to be on the lookout for as bernie assumes frontrunner status

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I had several sips of a Bud Light Lime I got from the store. I like limes. Limes. Is it normal to see fractals in the carpet after 1/8th of a Bud Light Lime?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am deeply enjoying this new facet of cumshitter's character.

By character I mean his personal traits and attributes, because everything he posts is 100% sincere.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

cumshitter posted:

I had several sips of a Bud Light Lime I got from the store. I like limes. Limes. Is it normal to see fractals in the carpet after 1/8th of a Bud Light Lime?

No but it is for Bud L(SD)ime

Its a subtle label difference you have to really look for it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SalishBlackFlag/status/1225662665134993408
https://twitter.com/SalishBlackFlag/status/1225662754108784640

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cumshitter posted:

Yes, seeing as how you've a fractal-patterned carpet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lmao who knew the only people better at burning the alt right were the alt right

Just nonstop circle roasting into eternity

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I am deeply enjoying this new facet of cumshitter's character.

By character I mean his personal traits and attributes, because everything he posts is 100% sincere.

the cumshitter mythos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Farm Frenzy posted:

the cumshitter mythos
cumshitter legendarium.

In a hole in the loos there worked cumshitter. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a business-hole, and that means sound financial advice.