Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Potato Salad posted:

You're forgetting precinct managers who, when there was an opportunity to flip a coin or make a rounding error, deliberately smudged the result in Pete's favor or away from Bernie's favor.

Every precinct captain is a jastiger re-reg unless proven otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

exquisite tea posted:

Don't worry about what might happen a month down the line and instead focus on what absolutely can be done within the next 5 days. If Pete can't win in NH then he's 100% done, Bernie has the polling lead and his numbers there have also gone up slightly since Iowa, so devote all your available time and energy toward making sure Cheatin' Pete loses bigly so that we can be ready for the next round of inevitable DNC bullshit.

The issue will become if Bernie can't make space in the final totals that Butt still has Momentum. Bernie only gets credit if he crushes opposition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GoutPatrol posted:

The issue will become if Bernie can't make space in the final totals that Butt still has Momentum. Bernie only gets credit if he crushes opposition.

The corporate media is gonna hype up whoever finishes second to Bernie from now until the end of the election no matter what. The important thing is maintaining Bernie's image as the frontrunner. If Buttigieg can't get it done in another 90% white state then he's gonna get waxed in NV and SC heading into Super Tuesday.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

IMO Nevada's going to be very important, as it seems to me like the only place the centrists will really be able make a last stand against Bernie before he wins Super Tuesday in a landslide. I understand NV has close to a model Democratic Party machine built on the Las Vegas service workers unions and led by Harry Reid, and I get the feeling he'll be given the job of ratfucking Bernie and making sure either Rat Man or Biden stays viable through March 3. They'll also have longer to organize after NH and more room for the media to shape the narrative, almost 2 weeks, than they've had with the trainwreck this week. If Warren is going to drop out, it makes sense for her to do it in that span and endorse Rat Man or Biden to boost them going into Nevada.

The best, maybe only strategy for a Biden nomination at this point is Warren to drop out and endorse him, the centrist media lining up hard behind him, and rigging Nevada. I suppose expecting the Dems to be smart or competent enough to pull that off is silly, but that's what I would do if I were them

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 7, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

joepinetree posted:

For the millionth time, it doesn't matter if it was pre-planned, something opportunistic, or that one in a million coincidence. The results are the same.

This doesn’t make any sense.

If you have a conspiracy of people doing bad poo poo then the root cause of your problem is people doing bad poo poo and you work towards removing them and preventing others from doing the same.

If your problem is a systemic issue then you fix the system, up to and including tearing it down and putting in something new. You have to move beyond, “both cases are harmful” if you’re going to ever get to a long term solution.

It’s like trying to claim that being slightly anemic due to poor diet and being slightly anemic due to having a rare but undiagnosed bowel cancer is totally the same because “the results are the same, you’re slightly anemic either way”.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

The app failed because the devs aren’t really devs and they used the free distribution option meant for beta testing which limits the app to 200 users. Notably there are 1700 precincts.

The phone line backup failed because 4chan flooded them with fake calls. The GOP literally did this for a NH Senate race in 2002 and won.

There’s definitely some ratfuckery in calculating SDEs but the reason the process was delayed in the first place isn’t due to conspiracy.

That said, the narrative out of Iowa has given Pete enough of a bump that I’m scared he’s going to ride momentum. Traditional wisdom says he can’t win the Latino vote in NV and the black vote in SC, and he doesn’t have a ground game for Super Tuesday, but I’m scared that momentum and narrative will overwhelm traditional wisdom. I get the same feeling I had in 2016 when everyone here was demanding “post the map”, but I feel like all bets are off in a post-Trump world. :ohdear:
I'm getting more of a 2008 vibe, when Obama won the Iowa caucus and was polling 13 points ahead in New Hampshire, but they went for Hillary at the last second for seemingly no reason other than to be contrarian. They basically turned what was shaping up to be a quick primary season into the They Live fight scene that dragged on for months.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Solkanar512 posted:

This doesn’t make any sense.

If you have a conspiracy of people doing bad poo poo then the root cause of your problem is people doing bad poo poo and you work towards removing them and preventing others from doing the same.

If your problem is a systemic issue then you fix the system, up to and including tearing it down and putting in something new. You have to move beyond, “both cases are harmful” if you’re going to ever get to a long term solution.

It’s like trying to claim that being slightly anemic due to poor diet and being slightly anemic due to having a rare but undiagnosed bowel cancer is totally the same because “the results are the same, you’re slightly anemic either way”.

Both answers lead to people that need to be fired, which has the same solution, elect Bernie so he can fire them, so I guess I don't see much of a difference between incompetence and malice.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

joepinetree posted:

For the millionth time, it doesn't matter if it was pre-planned, something opportunistic, or that one in a million coincidence. The results are the same.

Wrong.

Just like last time, if it is a group of bad actors they may act again. People need to discuss this to remain aware of it.

The Clinton manipulations last time happened across the nation. Clinton people are still actively employed across the campaigns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm getting more of a 2008 vibe, when Obama won the Iowa caucus and was polling 13 points ahead in New Hampshire, but they went for Hillary at the last second for seemingly no reason other than to be contrarian. They basically turned what was shaping up to be a quick primary season into the They Live fight scene that dragged on for months.

It's because polling bounces are ephemeral and soft support for a candidate does not necessarily materialize into day-of voting. Buttigieg may have benefitted from Biden's collapse more than any other candidate but Bernie's numbers haven't gone down at all, in fact they've increased slightly since Iowa across all polling firms.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

MJeff posted:

Both answers lead to people that need to be fired, which has the same solution, elect Bernie so he can fire them, so I guess I don't see much of a difference between incompetence and malice.

I think I agree with this. If this is simply due to staggering incompetence then the people involved need to be fired anyway for any reform to happen. All these democratic institutions have essentially become self-dealing machines that exist to enrich themselves and their friends. This is the type of corruption that gives us cork board conspiracies like Pete<->Shadow<->ACRONYM<->IDC<->Pod Save America<->ex-Hillary staffers

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

icantfindaname posted:

IMO Nevada's going to be very important, as it seems to me like the only place the centrists will really be able make a last stand against Bernie before he wins Super Tuesday in a landslide. I understand NV has close to a model Democratic Party machine built on the Las Vegas service workers unions and led by Harry Reid, and I get the feeling he'll be given the job of ratfucking Bernie and making sure either Rat Man or Biden stays viable through March 3. They'll also have longer to organize after NH and more room for the media to shape the narrative, almost 2 weeks, than they've had with the trainwreck this week. If Warren is going to drop out, it makes sense for her to do it in that span and endorse Rat Man or Biden to boost them going into Nevada. The Final Boss might just be Reid, not Bloomberg

i really don't get these histrionics because bernie is consistently been strong in polling for nevada and its going to take some real earth shattering upsets to possibly upend that

which could happen, but i think iowa just makes biden weaker though things are still possible

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

i really don't get these histrionics because bernie is consistently been strong in polling for nevada and its going to take some real earth shattering upsets to possibly upend that

which could happen, but i think iowa just makes biden weaker though things are still possible

Well, like I said in the edit it's more that that's what I see as the most likely way for Biden to win and what the party would do if they were smart and competent, but obviously they're not, so I'm not THAT worried it's going to happen

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That one poll that has Pete right behind Bernie is actually a bump for Bernie. It's Bernie 24 Pete 23 was Pete 22 Bernie 18 in their previous poll

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MJeff posted:

Incompetence can be fixed by improving the system to ensure you don’t have untrained and unrehearsed people running a caucus, by supplying clear examples in the caucus rule book for handing out delegates. Or simply switched out to a mail-in primary. Malicious activity is a whole different can of worms. You’re also not accounting for the possibility of systemic issues either.

When a plane crashes, we care a great deal as to why do we can prevent it from happening again. There’s a massive difference between a crash caused by a surface to air missile (malice), one caused by faulty repairs (incompetence) or one caused by previously unknown fatigue issues (could be a mix of the two with a dash of “no one had any idea”). Each one of those situations results in a crashed plane but responding to them in the same way would only ensure that it happens again.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
What if the system was created and perpetuated by the people who run it

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
does anyone have a link to any reporting that the dnc specifically pushed the app on the idp?

i was sure i read that somewhere but i can't seem to find it

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Carew posted:

What if the system was created and perpetuated by the people who run it

If you’re going to take the position that “it’s all the same” then you’re never going to bother to look deeper to see if that’s actually true or if there might be other issues at play.

amaru_chulla
Sep 3, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Office Pig posted:

You are completely wrong and you need to come to terms with what Buttigieg actually is instead of this nonsense you've conjured up for yourself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That one poll that has Pete right behind Bernie is actually a bump for Bernie. It's Bernie 24 Pete 23 was Pete 22 Bernie 18 in their previous poll

Same with the Monmouth poll that came out recently. Both have been more favorable to Biden/Butt this entire cycle, and Bernie gained in them while not decreasing his polling in others that show him with a sizable lead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1225500000240709634?s=20

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/gerudoku/status/1225592170574307333?s=19

amaru_chulla
Sep 3, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uglycat posted:

And same for Bernie.

I'm not ready to call it a 2-horse race yet, but Biden's campaign is dead in the water and the Establishment has signaled their support for the Heir Apparent.

I have had a suspicion, throughout the Trump presidency, that the Establishment believes (and so far as I can tell, it's probably the case) that the FSB signal-boosted Sanders' campaign in 2015 and 2016, and so they regard him as a 'russian agent or useful idiot' in the same way many saw Jill Stein.
Remember, the IRA had a sockpuppet army skinned to look like cishet white male bernie supporters, and at one point during the primaries, overnight, these sockpuppets sent hateful, rapey private messages to all the female hillary supporters on FB. This was right at the birth of the 'Bernie Bro' narrative, and there are a good many hillary supporters who still falsely believe those were good-faith bernie supporters.
Also at stake, it must be said, is the Dem party's platform re: Israel. It seems Bernie and the Establishment are at odds on that one, and it's going to be weaponized in the ugliest of ways. More interesting to me than ties with Pete's campaign are ties between Shadow and that anti-bernie twitter that aimed to paint him as an antisemite.

What the gently caress is this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

amaru_chulla posted:

What the gently caress is this.

It's uglycat

This is magnificent, enigma of amigara fault gags are great but this is especially well done

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Potato Salad posted:

You're forgetting precinct managers who, when there was an opportunity to flip a coin or make a rounding error, deliberately smudged the result in Pete's favor or away from Bernie's favor.

This is a few of the 1800 volunteers loving up. It's basically a standard issue part of the Iowa Caucuses that random precincts will be run by douchebags who use their power to grind a political axe or two.

It's 100% not good, and one of the things that have been in the standing list of reasons to not have a caucus even before this year. However, it's not something that is part of a grander scheme to gently caress over Bernie. There were probably a few who did the same for another candidate when given the chance. Once again, 100% bad and wrong but also not part of a conspiracy.

The entire structure of the Caucuses is basically set up to rely on the good faith of thousands of volunteers and party members. The result is a system that is rotten, but this round's particular issues are separate from that. The transparency safeguards put in place by Bernie last time just made existing issues more glaring.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I believe that, historically, the winner of Iowa gets a bump in New Hampshire for a few days that begins to fad as New Hampshire's innate independent assholery begins to reassert itself in the face of following Iowa's lead. The bump doesn't always go away completely, but it does begin to fade somewhat quickly.

There's usually a little more time between Iowa and New Hampshire, and this year's caucus clusterfuck may have delayed the entire cycle, but things are still looking good. Bernie started the week with a large lead and appears to also be getting a bump out of Iowa. Without realignments and without having to caucus, New Hampshire is looking good for the Bern. Grumpy Bloomers, Sketchy Gabbardites, Goofy Yangsters, and Biden Deadenders won't be forced to make a second choice and will instead throw their vote away instead of choosing a not-Bernie.

amaru_chulla
Sep 3, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uglycat posted:

I do believe Pete's overwhelmingly poor support among the black community was to a degree engineered, with well-timed and targeted hit pieces (that anyone running for president should expect to be par for the course)

Yea dude, PoC hate Pete because of brainwashing. Very cool post.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

amaru_chulla posted:

Yea dude, PoC hate Pete because of brainwashing. Very cool post.

It makes perfect sense.
PoC wouldn't hate Pete's guts if the media hadn't published all those articles detailing the lovely and horrible things that Pete did to PoC.

What you don't know can't hurt you, afterall :downs:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I am taking solace in the realization that polls are meaningless and so is everything else. This election cycle is turning me into a doomer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I am taking solace in the realization that polls are meaningless and so is everything else. This election cycle is turning me into a doomer

Polls were pretty accurate in Iowa, the main miscalculation being Biden's support cratering into Pete on the second ballot. Bernie in fact performed ~4 points above his RCP aggregate.

amaru_chulla
Sep 3, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

the_steve posted:

It makes perfect sense.
PoC wouldn't hate Pete's guts if the media hadn't published all those articles detailing the lovely and horrible things that Pete did to PoC.

If only they would have big brains like Ugly Cat, who can totally see right through all that misinformation and has razor sharp political acumen.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Polls were pretty accurate in Iowa, the main miscalculation being Biden's support cratering into Pete on the second ballot. Bernie in fact performed ~4 points above his RCP aggregate.

Right, it's hard to pull second alignments. Now if NH is widely different...that's an issue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Kreeblah posted:

That was depressing as gently caress to watch unfold as the election results came in. I was really hoping we'd end up with a Sanders/Corbyn thing going on in 2021. It still blows my mind how Johnson managed to win just by chanting "Get Brexit done."

"Get Brexit Done" also played on people's exhaustion of politics. It was a promise that whatever you thought about Brexit, you would never have to hear it 5 times a day every day again. You wouldn't have to be bombarded by daily politics and have to keep track of the byzantine and annoyingly close Parliamentary votes. (This was of course a lie)

This was a a cynical attack countering Labour's promise that politics could fundamentally transform lives for the better. Another referendum would be so tiresome. The Tories said: all politicians are liars, better things aren't possible, vote for us to just finish this poo poo.

Johnson actually ran a campaign of hiding from normal people and the media as much as possible and trying not to draw much attention to himself. Trump can't and won't do this.

The Democrat running on 'vote for me and you will never have to hear the word Trump again' probably would be a good strategy, but would lower enthusiasm in future elections.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1225653973207531525?s=20

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ague Proof posted:

"Get Brexit Done" also played on people's exhaustion of politics. It was a promise that whatever you thought about Brexit, you would never have to hear it 5 times a day every day again. You wouldn't have to be bombarded by daily politics and have to keep track of the byzantine and annoyingly close Parliamentary votes. (This was of course a lie)

This was a a cynical attack countering Labour's promise that politics could fundamentally transform lives for the better. Another referendum would be so tiresome. The Tories said: all politicians are liars, better things aren't possible, vote for us to just finish this poo poo.

Johnson actually ran a campaign of hiding from normal people and the media as much as possible and trying not to draw much attention to himself. Trump can't and won't do this.

The Democrat running on 'vote for me and you will never have to hear the word Trump again' probably would be a good strategy, but would lower enthusiasm in future elections.

at least sanders has actual favorable polling unlike corbyn

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Solkanar512 posted:

Incompetence can be fixed by improving the system to ensure you don’t have untrained and unrehearsed people running a caucus, by supplying clear examples in the caucus rule book for handing out delegates. Or simply switched out to a mail-in primary. Malicious activity is a whole different can of worms. You’re also not accounting for the possibility of systemic issues either.

When a plane crashes, we care a great deal as to why do we can prevent it from happening again. There’s a massive difference between a crash caused by a surface to air missile (malice), one caused by faulty repairs (incompetence) or one caused by previously unknown fatigue issues (could be a mix of the two with a dash of “no one had any idea”). Each one of those situations results in a crashed plane but responding to them in the same way would only ensure that it happens again.

Another thing about having caucuses is that you cannot keep your vote private. Being seen voting for the "socialist" might change your standing in your small town or it could change the way your boss thinks about you.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

unless things go absolute poo poo creek in the next month seems like bernie will win which, if you're a bernie supporter, should be the most important thing to focus on

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

the_steve posted:

It makes perfect sense.

I don't know why PoC wouldn't line up behind Pete. He scored an 86 on the Center for Urban and Racial Equity's racial justice scorecard. That's only 1 point behind Bernie!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
My hope is that, in winning the nom, Bernie can fill the DNC infrastructure with his own people and change the rules, etc. Let's kill the caucus system once and for all. The DNC has the power to do this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Berke Negri posted:

at least sanders has actual favorable polling unlike corbyn

Yeah people were just flat out ignoring the fact that everybody in the UK hated Corbyn. And that his overly complicated solution to the most pressing political issue wasn't very persuasive compared to his opponents single sentence solution. The situations aren't comparable at all.

And of course Britain is a tiny European island nation whose primary exports are lovely prestige TV shows and weird looking actors. What happens there doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's amazing that the DNC refuses to acknowledge and continously screws over by far it's best Candidate and Frontrunner, because their Mean-Girl defacto leader has a grudge and doesn't like him

Absolutely amazing the people who never grow out of High School