Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd know, I can't leave home on a sunny day without feeling my skin will melt.

Sounds like you're descended from Irish or British stock than Italian or Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I may be missing something here since I don't know either the source material or the adaptation but this reads really weirdly to me. Argentina is a mostly white country, descended from Spanish and Italian people. It'd be weirder if someone from here wasn't white.

I'd know, I can't leave home on a sunny day without feeling my skin will melt.

Yeah I didn't actually know that about Argentina. I kinda meant "Socially White American", not just white skinned or even "non-Hispanic white" (seriously, is that a checkbox anywhere else in the world?). The tennis-playing, country-clubbing, evades-DUI-convictions kind of white.

HitTheTargets posted:

Philippines, not Argentina. But maybe the film changed that, I dunno.

poo poo I'm not even remembering all the details now.

His name is Juan "Johnnie" Rico in the book, he is indeed Filipino, but he's from Buenos Aires, Argentina, which is the world capitol. Definitely not white.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's kind of funny that in Gasaraki the US made up WMDs in Iraq to invade Iraq for their real goal of...procuring the Illuminati's WMDs hidden in Iraq

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The way this show is paced feels like these initial episodes were originally part of a movie or something. Anyone else feel like that?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've been meaning to watch Gasaraki ever since I saw the trailer for it on every single Evangelion VHS.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ranzear posted:

And the best part is how quickly one can catch that somebody's take is entirely based on Verhoeven's interpretations of a book he didn't read, mostly the moment they bother to mention fascism. They also 100% of the time think a dude from Argentina named Rico is white.

I mean this is hardly unique to him, it's incredibly prevalent among a lot of film/television industry individuals that go purely by first visual impression and can't be bothered to do even basic research on what they're authoritatively stating - for another example, Attack of the Clones. Yes, there's plenty of legitimate criticism directed against it, but one that got levied at it from a number of sources was that it was racist - namely, that the clones were "clearly" stand-ins for Mexican immigration.

I'll spoil you if you didn't already know: the actor playing Jango (and thus the clones) is Maori (also of Irish and Scottish descent). But you see, he LOOKED Latino, as far as they were concerned. Which, of course, is incredibly racist in-and-of itself, even ignoring the logical flaws with that criticism.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Ranzear posted:

I've been meaning to watch Gasaraki ever since I saw the trailer for it on every single Evangelion VHS.

Gasaraki does have a very striking opening sequence and cool robot designs going for it, even before you know anything about the story.

Said story is...unique, let's say, but simultaneously ends up being too messy for its own good and has some ugly political implications.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

So what's the deal with Shinkalion?

https://twitter.com/Gooberzilla/status/1218171071855308801?s=20

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a kids show with a bunch of cross-promotions, including the eva one that is surprisingly justified by some of the aesthetic choices the show was making from ep1

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/01/mobile-suit-gundam-extreme-vs-maxiboost-on-coming-to-ps4-worldwide-in-2020

Looks like MSG Vs is getting an international release finally. I'm pretty happy about this. I played it at this last MagFest and it's pretty fun, for that kinda generic four-player arena brawler type format.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I wish they’d bring one of the more recent arena games to Steam. The only one on there is Gundam Breaker.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The last extreme was released in US wasn't it?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i am excite

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

The last extreme was released in US wasn't it?

We got Extreme and Extreme Full Boost on consoles you could import region free, and then they never did Maxi Boost and gave us the underwhelming Gundam Versus in North America, now we’re finally getting the really good one here!

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Shinkalion is a fun and solid kids robot show about family, friendship and love.

More people watching it is good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know what show's got a great OP?

Genesis Climber Mospeada. Seriously, it's first rate. It's even got the not quite natural sounding English to give everything that classic flavor.

You know what's not so great?

Genesis Climber Mospeada's first episode. And those problems kick off with the structure. I figure a lot of us are at least familiar in concept with shows that kill off most of the cast at the end of the first episode. It's a good shock moment, and means the loss feels heavier, but it's also a lot of time spent on characters who won't matter later.

On the opposite end of things, you get openings like Mazinkaizer SKL that kill the redshirts in, like, a minute, because there's a LOT of crazy robot violence to fit in, and nobody has time to waste.

Mospeada goes for the middle ground, introducing all of Stick's friends and killing them off together over the first eight minutes, including him getting engaged, his fiance recording a video about it, and her dying.

It's not long enough to get attached (or done well enough, considering poor Scarlet from SKL was a more compelling character in her couple of minutes), but it's too long for us to meet the show's actual cast. Neither fish nor flesh nor good red herring, basically. The landing fight doesn't do a good job of selling scale either. It's meant to be D-day in space, a trip through hell, but it doesn't carry itself that way. Despite the shots of massive ships and dozens of combat mechs, it still feels like the heroes are the only people whose part in the invasion matters even before everyone else dies. And then for several minutes after, we get the hero, the lone survivor, drifting through the desert haunted by his past before meeting the first of the new supporting cast.

...A new guy who doesn't seem remotely concerned about the murder robots that wiped out the hero's landing party. If you want to ruin the feeling of threat from that opening, having Stick casually take down a bunch of Invid in front of a guy who doesn't care about the fight at all is a good way to do it. The new guy doesn't even bother to ask about how the motorbike armor works despite fawning over the bike for the whole scene.

So, yeah. We don't get to know the new cast well, the old cast, who's dead, is undercharacterized as well, the tension drops massively with the fight on the ground...

Watching so many old mech anime has mostly highlighted how good the original Gundam is, especially by comparison. That was an amazing show, saying it right now.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Giant Gorg is cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For some reason, Bandai Spirits uploaded the first two episodes of Wataru 2 today, instead of the 11th episode of Wataru 1.

I'm going to take a guess here and say I do not want to watch those without actually finishing the first series.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The robot club girl in that ep has good taste.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

The robot club girl in that ep has good taste.

As Iron Blooded Orphans shows, pile bunkers are a truly eloquent way to remind people you hate them and want them dead.

Of course, that episode mourning the decline of giant robots reminded me of my recent marathoning, and how many old shows... weren't very good.

I'd say Getter Robo Go had a reputation in that direction, but that implies enough people care about Getter Robo Go to give it a reputation. The return of Getter Robo to TV after more than a decade, it was the first Getter show released in a post Gundam (post Macross, post VOTOMs, post Patlabor) world, although you'd never know to watch it. Getter Robo Go is a throwback to the early days of Super Robots.

Cut off from its heritage, with a whole new cast, Getter Robo Go has all the standards. There's a good scientist who built a multi-story killbot for peace. There's his kids, who are hot blooded and help pilot, and there's the hero, who is also presumably hot blooded. They are aided by a third pilot, who fulfills the contractual obligation for Getter teams to have three people, and "comic relief" scientists.

Opposing them is Professor Rando, who's basically just Doctor Hell.

It's really, really by the numbers, with poor art for everything but the monster fights, there's some shockingly bad VA work... It's not much of a surprise the fan subs went completely half-assed by episode 2.

Still, for all its faults, at least the visuals are better than Galvion. I know 80s anime can look rough sometimes, but the faces looking that bad in episode 1 is pretty remarkable. The rest of the show doesn't do much to make up for it, with a massive expo dump for an opening, necessitating first contact with aliens, Earth being sealed off, and World War III to explain a setting where... people drive a lot of cars. (And where some have guns or are robots.)

Our heroes are a pair of convicts buying their freedom with high stakes missions, as explained to us in a flashback where we learn that they had barely gotten into their cells before being hired for their position, and also that they don't like each other because one's hot blooded and the other is calculating, something that was communicated in every other scene.

They're hired to bring a cure for cancer to some ill girl in the first episode, but somehow get drawn into a conspiracy despite being in a shadowy organization already. (Seriously, cut out the middle man. Have their first job be a data drop. Sending convicts in a super robot to deliver a sick girl's medicine makes very little sense. It adds a lot of complications to a relatively straightforward job for no benefit.)

The episode ends with the villains talking vaguely about world domination, and the heroes doing the standard last joke fade out. This one, my lack of surprise goes to the show being cancelled early.

At least the OP is catchy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's pretty sad the Getter Robo Go anime is that bad when the Getter Robo Go manga is so good. But then again, Getter Robo didn't really get a good adaptation until later, and hasn't ever gotten an adaptation that's genuinely faithful to the manga even now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Galvion looks great in my opinion. I don't trust any of your takes anymore

Also it was cancelled because the company sponsoring it went bankrupt, not because of any inherent quality in the show

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gljn1xqYEOc

Getter Robo Go has a great soundtrack tho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Galvion looks great in my opinion. I don't trust any of your takes anymore

Also it was cancelled because the company sponsoring it went bankrupt, not because of any inherent quality in the show

The car chases look fine, but everyone's eyes in the first episode are really inconsistent. It's bad.

Interesting about the company. Old mech anime got cancelled so much that I sometimes lose track of which got cancelled why.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So was the original idea for the Wataru uploads that they'd upload ten episodes then jump to the next show?

Because that's actually kind of lovely, not gonna lie.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gasaraki is simultaneously one of the dryest anime I've ever seen and also one of the wildest. It's crazy how nobody talks about the guys who want to use a demon robot to bring about a return of the samurai class. I've been lied to for so long about this show

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

So was the original idea for the Wataru uploads that they'd upload ten episodes then jump to the next show?

Because that's actually kind of lovely, not gonna lie.

I feel like from the perspective of the primary audience who watched it as children, putting the first 10 episodes up for free, followed by the first 10 episodes of the sequel, to say "hey, remember this?" and put them in the nostalgic mood to watch the new show and buy the expensive new toys isn't unreasonable; the whole series is available on Blu-ray after all. For us who can't watch the show because there's no subs past 10, it absolutely sucks and I'm disappointed, but it's marketing for a nostalgia revival series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's pretty sad the Getter Robo Go anime is that bad when the Getter Robo Go manga is so good. But then again, Getter Robo didn't really get a good adaptation until later, and hasn't ever gotten an adaptation that's genuinely faithful to the manga even now.

Yeah, even the things that tried to keep the tone went with their own plots. It's also notable that the OVAs are standalones. They might have a larger history before the show starts, they might not, but they're pretty quick runs, which is different from a manga covering a ton of apocalyptic wars.

Actually got around to another of the OVAs recently, Shin Getter Robo Vs. Neo Getter Robo. Which, first off, I'm going to say that's some pretty galling false advertising. There's no fight between Shin and Neo, not even in an Alamo Vs. Hercules manner where they team up to fight racism in an alternate universe. It just has the Neo, then it moves on to Shin with the same pilots.

What we get instead of a brutal Getter on Getter smackdown is a fun little romp where a new crew of enthusiastically violent youth go out to murder as many dinosaurs as they can, aided by the original Getter team and two American pilots so stereotypical that Chibodee Crockett tells them to maybe tone it down. One thing that stood out to me in comparison to Armageddon was how much lighter it was. Sure, the dinosaurs killed hundreds, maybe thousands of people on screen and multiple major cities were destroyed, but the deaths onscreen aren't particularly horrific, and the heroes only murder dinosaurs. (Ryoma even saves a bunch of kids at one point). It doesn't go particularly crazy by Getter standards, and the plot never goes deep, but hey. Cowboy robot.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, even the things that tried to keep the tone went with their own plots. It's also notable that the OVAs are standalones. They might have a larger history before the show starts, they might not, but they're pretty quick runs, which is different from a manga covering a ton of apocalyptic wars.

Actually got around to another of the OVAs recently, Shin Getter Robo Vs. Neo Getter Robo. Which, first off, I'm going to say that's some pretty galling false advertising. There's no fight between Shin and Neo, not even in an Alamo Vs. Hercules manner where they team up to fight racism in an alternate universe. It just has the Neo, then it moves on to Shin with the same pilots.

What we get instead of a brutal Getter on Getter smackdown is a fun little romp where a new crew of enthusiastically violent youth go out to murder as many dinosaurs as they can, aided by the original Getter team and two American pilots so stereotypical that Chibodee Crockett tells them to maybe tone it down. One thing that stood out to me in comparison to Armageddon was how much lighter it was. Sure, the dinosaurs killed hundreds, maybe thousands of people on screen and multiple major cities were destroyed, but the deaths onscreen aren't particularly horrific, and the heroes only murder dinosaurs. (Ryoma even saves a bunch of kids at one point). It doesn't go particularly crazy by Getter standards, and the plot never goes deep, but hey. Cowboy robot.

Texas Mack is a good example of what makes the Getter OVAs so great, which is that they're made with lots and lots of love for the source material. Texas Mack originally appeared in a single episode of the original anime, and here he is with a brand new design and an entire new special attack with way too much high power man, as well as a robot horse powered by a dog. Someone really loved Texas Mack.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

GorfZaplen posted:

Texas Mack is a good example of what makes the Getter OVAs so great, which is that they're made with lots and lots of love for the source material. Texas Mack originally appeared in a single episode of the original anime, and here he is with a brand new design and an entire new special attack with way too much high power man, as well as a robot horse powered by a dog. Someone really loved Texas Mack.

And the cherry on top is that Jack and Mary being America's Super Robot team means not needing to deal with Schwartz's racist rear end.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

chiasaur11 posted:

Clearly you haven't seen Jack and Mary in the original getter then, they were so stereotypical/racist that even Japan wasn't cool with it. They were still better than that shithead Schwartz though, glad he only showed up in Armageddon with most of his aspects turned wayyy down.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jnovelclub/status/1225524641575383045

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Awesome, didn’t know it had been picked up.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Gaogaigar novel updated again

https://pyroxenescanning.wordpress.com/2019/06/09/hakaiou-gaogaigar-vs-betterman-07/

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Midjack posted:

Awesome, didn’t know it had been picked up.
Same here - thanks thread! I see they are up to vol 6 on Kindle - I guess I'll be picking these up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, continuing my watch of old mech anime, I got to Dinagiga. Clocking in at only two episodes, it’s not a show with a great reputation, to the extent it has any reputation at all, but hey. I had some time to kill, and even if it was as bad as some people said, I’d seen worse.

It opens with our heroine trying to parallel park her robot. And completely loving up when parallel parking her robot. (Some people would suggest that having multiple students attempting this exercise at once might be asking for trouble. But the show provides a clear explanation in the same scene with a parallel cutaway to other students taking courses inside: The teachers aren’t very good either.)

Our heroine, Hikari Touno, is our Nonoriri for the OVA, a complete disaster area of a student who just might have the hidden potential to someday save mankind. She’s even got an obsession with impressing one of her more confident seeming classmates. In the short span of time the show runs, she isn’t given much room to be unique, but she’s a likable enough dumbass all the same. She has hobbies, we see signs her optimism is covering over some issues, and she’s actually capable, even if she’s still a walking disaster area. I’ve seen much worse protagonists, which is good, as most of the other characters hardly give us anything to work with in the first episode. The teachers are hiding something, the Rei clone has dead parents, and the student Hikari is trying to be friends with kind of doesn’t like her, but it’s not enough to carry a scene between the lot of them when there’s not a major plot beat going.

As for the plot, it doesn’t feel paced like an OVA, let alone an OVA with only two episodes. For the first episode, we get school shenanigans, the intro of our new transfer student, and a crisis where our heroine will intervene to save the day, but we’re still in the initial school stage with no hints as to the reason for giant robots beyond “Hokkaido blew up, nobody knows why”. (Which, credit where due, was some exposition handled in a fun way. The heroine quizzed herself on the explosion as a setup for her also not knowing why one of her classmates seemed to not like her. The cheery “Nobody knows!” buzz in response to her own questions was a nice moment).

Even in the first episode, Gunbuster had scenes showing what the stakes were and the path our heroine could go on from plucky high schooler to ace pilot and saviour of humanity. Meanwhile, Dinagiga just has vague talk about energy and some kind of god to imply that something might go down eventually. We don’t even have clear and immediate school goals to compensate, like a big test or a showdown with a rival.

And then in the second episode, everything falls apart. Instead of a natural progression, pretty much everything starts happening in a rush. The mysterious transfer student has a jealous crush on Hikari, then she merges with an evil giant monster robot, and then we find out she’s an artificial human or something raised by one of the teachers, and then Hikari tries to fight her with Dinagiga right after it’s introduced and Hikari’s friend who doesn’t like her nearly dies and the Dinagiga starts working to save her, and then there’s a semi-naked Newtype moment between Hikari and Not!Rei who she’s known for less time than Shinji knew Kaworu, the evil robot explodes, and then that’s it. Hikari tries to put on a brave face again and smile so she can eventually find some real bad guy to blame for things. The end. (And I’m talking a very serious End here. The credits start with a callout that, no, there’s never going to be any more episodes. Kind of respect the directness!)

I’ve heard people discussing that the show might have been meant to be a full late night show that got cut down to a two episode OVA after a sponsor pulled out or something, and it kind of feels plausible. If the full show existed, it would probably be a mostly-forgotten Eva and Gunbuster hybrid with unexciting mech designs and a good OP. As things stand… it’s still that, but with the addition of a second episode that makes Gundam F91 look carefully paced, rushing through every plot beat that the first episode could lead into at a speed that approaches (but does not reach) Space Patrol Luluco.

It’s a weird show, and not a particularly good one, but… I kind of respect it. It may have been a rushed mess, but it at least managed to finish what it started, and mostly without exploding. Looking at the staff, some reasonably talented people worked on this weird little thing, and even if I wouldn’t actively recommend anyone else seek it out, I’ve definitely seen worse.

Plus, given who scripted it, there’s a chance some of the weirdness of this little project lead to bits in Shirobako. And I do like Shirobako.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm halfway through Gasaraki and still can't tell where any of it is headed which is cool. Not sure if the brocon plotline is necessary at all tho

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gasaraki is probably one of the best looking mecha shows I've ever seen. It uses lots of tricks to save costs but it never skimps on details which I appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, if we're talking good looking, I finally got around to "Do You Remember Love?", which means I have some proper non-plus Macross experience.

And yeah, this thing's a looker through and through. Great looking fights, and they don't skimp on the rest. Any rough with the film certainly doesn't come from the visuals, assuming you like the artstyle. Probably doesn't come from the sound either, assuming you don't mind Minmay's songs. The main problem from my end came from the writing.

To be clear, it was a good film. Most of the characters were a bit thin as presented, but the leads worked well enough, and the love triangle felt like a bunch of people struggling through an awkward situation rather than a bunch of assholes ruining each other's lives. (I've heard the show leans more in that direction, but I haven't seen enough to say anything on the subject with full confidence). The problem was the first act.

The film tossed us right in the middle of things, with a massive fight scene before we could even understand who was fighting, followed by a bunch of scenes that act like you should understand the character dynamics from the show, while changing up the dynamics enough that the show doesn't provide a good basis for making assumptions. It isn't until halfway in the film feels like it's solidly on its own feet.

And from that point on, it's standing pretty solid. The plot goes forward at a fast clip, but feels like it covers what it needs for the main plot (the love triangle) so the war plot's rush isn't too distracting, the Earth stuff is paced to let our leads get fleshed out without feeling too slow, and the final battle is really well done. I can see why people love this one.