Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

The Shipwreck Arcana - A neat little cooperative deduction game. Play a tile on a logical rule to give the other players a hint about the tile you're still holding. It scratches the same itch as Hanabi, just in a different way. It may be a little too math-y for some groups, but I've enjoyed all of my plays.

I’ll support this. My group went to GenCon last year and played this and everyone ended up buying a copy to take home to our own groups. Really fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Chapel is good

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just finally listened to Mayveena's episode of game brain (archives listen has been fun!) and I just want to say I appreciate the Zendo mention.

(also it was a really great episode)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But Zendo is forever associated with that laughing so hard crying meme from the draft. :3:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Dominion............................. flawed????????????????????????????????

TM is a boring slog carried by its theme. Dominion is the perfect version of itself. If they're both flawed it's in very different ways.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

TM is a boring slog carried by its theme. Dominion is the perfect version of itself. If they're both flawed it's in very different ways.

General reminder that TM is Terra Mystica, Terraforming Mars is TfM.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

taser rates posted:

Chapel is good

Chapel sucks rear end. Whoever trashes 3 estates is guaranteed to win, getting a 5/2 split is a serious advantage, and the only winning play is buying it in the first shuffle, using it in the second and third shuffles while hoping you get a good hand to trash, and then mostly forgetting about it and doing literally any other strategy but better or worse depending on your chapel luck. Its brainless and random but you have to play it because its the strongest strategy on any field.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TFM is carried solely by the theme and the only reason I love it despite the terrible art, production values, several-hour-long gameplay, and wholly correct online critics is that I post "MARS!! I LOVE SPACE!! ELON MUSK!" on reddit.com

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Chapel sucks rear end. Whoever trashes 3 estates is guaranteed to win, getting a 5/2 split is a serious advantage, and the only winning play is buying it in the first shuffle, using it in the second and third shuffles while hoping you get a good hand to trash, and then mostly forgetting about it and doing literally any other strategy but better or worse depending on your chapel luck. Its brainless and random but you have to play it because its the strongest strategy on any field.

All of those are only situationally true, especially in games with Inheritance or games where the cheaper cards need to be contended over before the 5s.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Inheritance sounds like some second edition card Ive never played with, but thats always true, not situationally. Ive played more of first edition than I care to admit and Ive seen a lot of people do novel things to try beating chapel, but chapel won every time with zero exceptions. It only takes 2 other buys to have a perfectly consistent engine or enough money to buy a gold every turn (which coincidentally is the amount of buys you have before the rest of your deck is trashed), and the only reason the engine slows down is if they have so many provinces that theyve already won anyways.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you keep saying first edition - are you lik including any expansions

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Inheritance is actually from the Adventures expansion - so I've never played with it, personally. But I dunno, I've only played against someone Chapel-decking once (and they were a vet player who knew all about it) and I handily won. So I dunno, it's not like it's a sure thing or anything. But yeah, it's still very likely to win, I agree.

That being said, don't ask me what I did to win though, as I don't remember that part at all. It was purely the burning desire to beat the chapel, that pulled me through! :v: (That and some 2nd Ed Sentry cards, I think? drat I love that card. Almost as much as Sauna/Avanto)

EDIT:

taser rates posted:

You need to specify that you're literally just talking base Dominion then, because that was not clear from your original post.

Although I'm pretty sure that this^ is directed at Control Volume and not me, to clarify my example case above I was playing with 2nd Ed base game+Intrigue. (in that 'black box all-in-one' set)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 7, 2020

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You need to specify that you're literally just talking base Dominion then, because that was not clear from your original post.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm talking all first edition expansions too, which is how I also know the bore of minion games

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
There are only two first editions, base Dominion and Intrigue.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

There were a lot more expansions than that for 1st edition, unless theres a second 2nd edition outside of them rebooting the base set with an entirely different set of cards

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The Adventures expansion came out before 2nd edition.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Holy poo poo this game has way more expansions than I realized lmfao.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Control Volume posted:

Holy poo poo this game has way more expansions than I realized lmfao.

The base set and intrigue are the only ones that got 2nd edition updates, the rest won't be changed as far as we know.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

So in Root, is it normal for the Vagabond to sprint to the finish line by giving away a hand full of cards to someone for 2 points each and then mass murdering someone (possibly even the same someone) for even more points? Because that seems awesome but really hard to stop.

Edit: I also played a game as Lizards that permafucked the Eyrie because they could never perform a move action, which was fun and hilarious.

Yeah you need to freeze the vagabond out of the game. It's kinda sucky for them, but they thems the breaks.

On the topic of Terraforming Mars expansions preludes is essential , Venus is ok, Colonies is ok they're both boards you do not have to interact with and pad the desk out with cards you do not want. The new delegates one is ok, everyone has to interact with it at least but all it really seems to do is slow the game down which is a bad thing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The change from first to second happened concurrently with the general process of expanding the game, and consisted of booting week or boring cards and replacing them with cooler ones. Then DXV got to the third expansion and met with some minor annoyances protecting the weak cards (they have contest winners faces on, or are paired with a large pile of tokens Rio Grande are unwilling to dump) so the process has been put on hold. Minor changes happen in between print runs and are not dignified with a new edition number. Most recently all cards that used to mimick another card in the supply now command that other card to be played from the supply.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

taser rates posted:

Chapel is good

This. I've ranted on why Chapel is cool and good before.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Thanks!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Chapel is amazing, it's the single most important card in dominion for a whole host of reasons, and people thinking it's bad or badly priced is always amusing.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

thespaceinvader posted:

Chapel is amazing, it's the single most important card in dominion for a whole host of reasons, and people thinking it's bad or badly priced is always amusing.

My only beef with it because I feel like it makes 2/5 hands to good? Maybe the solution is to let people pick if they want 3/4 or 2/5

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

My only beef with it because I feel like it makes 2/5 hands to good? Maybe the solution is to let people pick if they want 3/4 or 2/5

Only if there's a really good 5, and even then, it's going to be a little variable depending on exactly what that 5 actually is.

It's been a while, admittedly, but there are openings where I'd take chapel/silver over chapel and a strong 5-cost terminal, simply because it reduces the chance that you draw Chapel and your 5 together and have the worse choice of what to play.

But honestly, in a casual situation I'd generally set opening hands to be the same for everyone anyway.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Chapel and chapel like cards are absolutely critical, why would anyone say they were bad?

*Edit ah I see, bad for game balance, well you're not wrong there. Getting a good chapel off sets you right up.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 7, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Chapel and chapel like cards are absolutely critical, why would anyone say they were bad?

*Edit ah I see, bad for game balance, well you're not wrong there. Getting a good chapel off sets you right up.

The people who think it's a bad card (i.e. not something you want to buy) are generally people who are new to deckbuilders and don't understand the value of trashing.

Which is why it's a doubly good card, because it's SUCH a good lesson in how trashing is amazing.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If it cost 3, it would cripple 2/5, though.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I remember reading there is an 18xx game about the east of England lines - Liverpool Street to Ely and Norwich etc. Does anyone know if that's right and what game that is? I currently work on that route so I'm curious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803643 Come join us in the dominion thread and talk about Chapel more :D

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

I remember reading there is an 18xx game about the east of England lines - Liverpool Street to Ely and Norwich etc. Does anyone know if that's right and what game that is? I currently work on that route so I'm curious.

Probably 1862.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I will be playing Food Chain Magnate for the first time this weekend. I skimmed some strategy guides on BGG, but I'm curious what the board game goon hive-mind has to say about how to play. I'm not worried about winning as much as not annoying veteran players with lots of over analyzing my moves as I don't know much about the game.

Any simple maxims to keep in mind, or things to avoid?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Indolent Bastard posted:

I will be playing Food Chain Magnate for the first time this weekend. I skimmed some strategy guides on BGG, but I'm curious what the board game goon hive-mind has to say about how to play. I'm not worried about winning as much as not annoying veteran players with lots of over analyzing my moves as I don't know much about the game.

Any simple maxims to keep in mind, or things to avoid?

It's going to depend on if you're playing with the expansion or not or at least playing with the new milestones. Do you know if you'll be playing with the new stuff?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I played Azul Summer Pavilion for the first time with 2 players and I was massively disappointed. It felt like all of the tension of the first two games were gone maybe because you don’t place until the end of a round and it was all about solving your own puzzle. I had maybe one tile the entire game that my opponent took that I really wanted. We both finished with the same exact areas covered up in all of the different colors. I need to ply it again but as of right now I put both other Azul games way ahead of it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
There's a de-luxe version of Kanban on KS right now. How good is it and is it worth going in on?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

FulsomFrank posted:

There's a de-luxe version of Kanban on KS right now. How good is it and is it worth going in on?

I've played Kanban and it's good, but not great. I think the consensus of this thread is that Gallerist is just all around the better game and does a similar you get 1-2 actions per turn, but those actions have lots of mini-decisions within them thing.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Selecta84 posted:

Thanks. Sounds like I will wait until the expansion gets a German version. Right now we only have the base game.

And another thing, after playing once with the preset starting hands, immediately switch to playing with drafting.

And never forget your ABDFE

Always
Be
Discarding
For
Essences

It'll make you much more competitive

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, the most important thing to know about Res Arcana is that a game will on average go 4 turns long, so if you know a card isn't going to net benefit you before the game ends you're far better off discarding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mayveena posted:

It's going to depend on if you're playing with the expansion or not or at least playing with the new milestones. Do you know if you'll be playing with the new stuff?

I don't know for certain, sorry.

He may just do the base game to keep it simple, he may add the expansion as he has played a fair bit.